ADVERTISEMENT

Forrester Commits

How do you know we have any chance with either? Garland seems like a Duke lean and Romeo seems like a Louisville lean.

You're sooooooooooooooooooo right.

Romeo coming to Hoosier Hysteria means we have zero chance with the guy.

The fact he's also waiting until spring (to see how Archie does his first year) also means nothing.

(rolleyes)

This kid played for an absolutely loaded team. 2017 Mo Bamba (All American to Texas). 2017 Brandon Randolph to Arizona, plus 2018 cam reddish who just committed w Duke.

Forrester didht have to average 20 and 11 at his school because of the talent. He did average around 10 and 10. Assume with Bamba and Randolph gone that he will get more opportunities this year. Video shows a guy if he ends up near 6'10 235 in a couple years could be a defensive star. Very interested to see how he develops.

No, cupcake, I think it's two. And we've got 7 or 8 players (I lost count) for those 2 spots.

But, hey, they all play like Magic Johnson and can guard every position on the floor so it's all good..............

Technically Magic was a 6'9" point guard who couldn't shoot but could handle the ball like a mofo and had incredible court vision, regardless of him being 6'9".

Brad Stevens said it best. Today's game is 3 positions, not 5.

1. A ball handler
2. A post defender
3. Scorers

Archie, as TMP pointed out plays a pack line defense and as I pointed out wants to score first in transition (then he uses a motion if there is no transition opportunity).

That basically makes that post defender in his eyes a big, power forward in the traditional sense.

So basically he has a primary ball hander and a bunch of forwards/wings.

It's not positionless...but instead of five strictly defined spots (pg, sg, sf, pf, c) it's at the most 3 (pg, scoring forward, post). Under Archie it's probably two (pg, an array of forwards).

You're sooooooooooooooooooo right.

The fact he's also waiting until spring (to see how Archie does his first year) also means nothing.

(rolleyes)
I do think IU has a 50/50 shot, but most top 15-20 players wait until spring.

I don't know beans about Phinisee, but I don't think that's it. A kid that is top 20 isn't worried about losing PT to a kid rated 120+, and personally, I think it's still an area of need. From what I've heard about Phinisee, he's undersized and might take awhile to adjust to the size and physicality at this level. With both Newkirk and Johnson graduating, I think we still have PT available next year. I just think DG wants to go elsewhere probably, but I think we could use him and don't think Phinisee is scaring him off; I think we have room and PT for both. Phinisee to me sounds like Tyler Lewis, who committed to NC St, struggled there early then transferred to Butler and became a solid PG. It might take RP a year or 2 to be ready to play major minutes.

I also have some doubts about Phinisee being "the guy", although no doubts that he'll play an important role. This is why I think Duke might be hard to turn down (if he wanted to come here) while waiting for Romeo.....he's said to be a true combo guard with defensive tenacity.

Apparently Garland will decide in November. Not sure what that means for us but we do get his second to last OV.

Never said you agree with everything but I will back a coach as long as they coach IU. To me coming on here every day and ripping your coach does not help the program. Recruits and their family monitor the fan bases and when our fan base does some of things they do it does not help at all.

If everyone "backed" them they'd never be fired.

Glass does not care what we think, just big time donors who threatened to stop donating.

Scott, what the hell you trying to say here?

On one hand, the views on this hurt the program because "Recruits and their family monitor the fan bases", but on the other the views on here have NO impact on who is the coach?

I seriously doubt a few off-the-wall posters are gonna scare away a potential player. Not do I necessarily think anyone on here would have a direct impact with Fred. But BETWEEN the two, fan displeasure on here with the coach will have more of a chance of impact of the AD listening than anything a recruit might be turned off by.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
Interesting info on Matt Dennison's Sports Talk Indiana today. Rabjohn's was on and paraphrasing him he really likes Forrester, thinks he has the tools to be a force on defensive end maybe not in first year. wasn't hung up on number of starts because he played on team loaded with top players and he was the guy who got the rebounds and didn't have the need to be the offensive show even though he can shoot. The next segment of the show was a phone interview with Forrester and the kid was very well spoken, respectful, and very excited about the atmosphere around IU basketball. I getting to like him more after seeing film and hearing him speak.

Scott, what the hell you trying to say here?

On one hand, the views on this hurt the program because "Recruits and their family monitor the fan bases", but on the other the views on here have NO impact on who is the coach?

I seriously doubt a few off-the-wall posters are gonna scare away a potential player. Not do I necessarily think anyone on here would have a direct impact with Fred. But BETWEEN the two, fan displeasure on here with the coach will have more of a chance of impact of the AD listening than anything a recruit might be turned off by.

There's a picture of JF with his dad, Dwight, on inside the hall....Dwight was listed as 6'7" when he played for Temple.....so again, you can judge.....looks like 6'9" or 6'10"

Reactions: IndyAuthor
You're sooooooooooooooooooo right. have

(rolleyes)
Funny you say that and we have 1 open scholarship for Romeo. What about Garland? You think we can just leap frog Duke for him? I seriously doubt it.

Interesting info on Matt Dennison's Sports Talk Indiana today. Rabjohn's was on and paraphrasing him he really likes Forrester, thinks he has the tools to be a force on defensive end maybe not in first year. wasn't hung up on number of starts because he played on team loaded with top players and he was the guy who got the rebounds and didn't have the need to be the offensive show even though he can shoot. The next segment of the show was a phone interview with Forrester and the kid was very well spoken, respectful, and very excited about the atmosphere around IU basketball. I getting to like him more after seeing film and hearing him speak.
Yes but that doesn't count. What does Rabjohns say about oversigning? That's what these guys think is the only thing that matters.

There's a picture of JF with his dad, Dwight, on inside the hall....Dwight was listed as 6'7" when he played for Temple.....so again, you can judge.....looks like 6'9" or 6'10"

OK, good (that his Dad was 6'7"). When I saw the picture and read the bickering here about his height, I said to myself that if his Dad was listed at 6'7", then Jake is 6'10". Often there is an inch added- IU/Knight used to add that final inch for senior year. Cheaney was 6'6" for 3 seasons then jumped to 6'7" his senior year, for example.

With Crean, I got the impression he pretty much gave almost everyone an extra inch. Who knows if that is an admin or DBO or someone else doing that.

But Forrester is definitely in the mold of a Jeff Newton/Indiana or a DJ Wilson/Michigan. Nowadays, the "stars" are fairly accurate for most players coming out of high school and 3-star generally means either not quite ready for Big Ten ball, or ready in a limited capacity (i.e.. can shoot but thin as a rail, etc.). I expect that with Forrester and would not expect a lot from him right away next year. But he definitely looks like a kid with a ton of potential, just like how Newton developed.

But Forrester is definitely in the mold of a Jeff Newton/Indiana or a DJ Wilson/Michigan.
Joakim Noah with more offensive upside. I like his turn around offensive moves in the lane, but the face up jumper stroke will need some work.

Joakim Noah with more offensive upside. I like his turn around offensive moves in the lane, but the face up jumper stroke will need some work.

The odd thing on his jumper is that he doesn't get much elevation on his shot. He's actual got very good form. He says he needs to improve his 3 point shot; it looks to me that the issue there would be not getting his legs into the shot enough.

I saw one shot selection shot from his AAU team where he had only taken 1 3 point shot....out of maybe 30-40 shots. Almost all his shots were within 10 feet. Thing is, that's ok with me. I just want him to rebound, play D, and finish inside. If he plays 4 years and does that, if he improves his 3 point shot for an NBA chance, good for him.

It's interesting to compare his highlight videos with those of Brooks. They both elevate well, but Brooks is the more explosive, quicker jumper. And JF handles and is coordinated in, as you say, a Jeff Newton sort of way. Brooks is athletic in more of a Troy Williams sort of way.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
It kills me that some posters think this kid is a miss. So let's look at some data:
  • Dad played at Temple 6'7' (Good background for learning the game and what it takes to play at high level)
  • Plays a role on a loaded team (10 - 10 per his coach) Think Ray Tolbert, Darrell Thomas, etc. (Not trying to compare people just roles) (We haven't had that mentality in about 10 years i.e. think Bryant at the 3 Pt line all the time. Hard to watch.)
  • Our coach wants the kid (this can't be understated. CAM knows what he's doing. I know we've just endured 9 years of ???? but we have a real coach now)
  • Kid picked us over some good offers because he thinks it's the best move for him
  • Plays Defense, Defense, Defense (That's going to be the best change ever.)
  • Rebounds, Rebounds, Rebounds
What's not to like?
Go Hoosiers!

OK, good (that his Dad was 6'7"). When I saw the picture and read the bickering here about his height, I said to myself that if his Dad was listed at 6'7", then Jake is 6'10". Often there is an inch added- IU/Knight used to add that final inch for senior year. Cheaney was 6'6" for 3 seasons then jumped to 6'7" his senior year, for example.

With Crean, I got the impression he pretty much gave almost everyone an extra inch. Who knows if that is an admin or DBO or someone else doing that.

But Forrester is definitely in the mold of a Jeff Newton/Indiana or a DJ Wilson/Michigan. Nowadays, the "stars" are fairly accurate for most players coming out of high school and 3-star generally means either not quite ready for Big Ten ball, or ready in a limited capacity (i.e.. can shoot but thin as a rail, etc.). I expect that with Forrester and would not expect a lot from him right away next year. But he definitely looks like a kid with a ton of potential, just like how Newton developed.
Cheaney was 6'7.5 measured at draft camp. And Forrester is already ranked as a 4* by one major service and will most likely go up in the others. He's also currently 6'9.

It kills me that some posters think this kid is a miss. !

Settle down, Drama Queens.

I'm not calling him a "miss", I'm saying we already have a ton of forwards and I think it's stupid to use up all the scholarships when we still have a shot at both Garland and Romeo and I HATE the over-signing crap even if Lord Archie does it.

Settle down, Drama Queens.

Seems you're the one that started/is stoking the whole sky-is-falling bit about oversigns, too many forwards and critical recruiting errors. For someone so given to purple prose and busy losing what apparently little he/she/it possesses in the way of wits with fervent and rampant conjecture about the future, reckon you must be the drama god.

All hail Dionysus.

Season really needs to start - too many posters raving like junkies needing a fix or some such even with the future of the Program seeming brighter than it has in a long time. Less coffee, more deep breaths and just a smidgen of trust perhaps.

^^^drama queen^^^^ bitches about nothing. Whines about things that have not even happened^^^^ /silly boy^^^^

Haven't happened?

So, we didn't just get the 8th forward saying he was joining the team leaving only one spot open even though we've got a great chance with two Top 10 guards we've been on for a long time?

Cheaney was 6'7.5 measured at draft camp. And Forrester is already ranked as a 4* by one major service and will most likely go up in the others. He's also currently 6'9.

You may know better than I, but I recall Henderson and Evans also growing an extra inch on the roster after a few years.

Forrester seems to get to the rim very well. If he's 6'9" he may not be for long!

Reactions: T.M.P.
It kills me that some posters think this kid is a miss. So let's look at some data:
  • Dad played at Temple 6'7' (Good background for learning the game and what it takes to play at high level)
  • Plays a role on a loaded team (10 - 10 per his coach) Think Ray Tolbert, Darrell Thomas, etc. (Not trying to compare people just roles) (We haven't had that mentality in about 10 years i.e. think Bryant at the 3 Pt line all the time. Hard to watch.)
  • Our coach wants the kid (this can't be understated. CAM knows what he's doing. I know we've just endured 9 years of ???? but we have a real coach now)
  • Kid picked us over some good offers because he thinks it's the best move for him
  • Plays Defense, Defense, Defense (That's going to be the best change ever.)
  • Rebounds, Rebounds, Rebounds
What's not to like?
Go Hoosiers!

Good post. I like the idea of him getting O-boards and start that break the way Jeffries used to. If the kid can D, board, outlet, and finish he could be a great weapon.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Technically Magic was a 6'9" point guard who couldn't shoot but could handle the ball like a mofo and had incredible court vision, regardless of him being 6'9".

Brad Stevens said it best. Today's game is 3 positions, not 5.

1. A ball handler
2. A post defender
3. Scorers

Archie, as TMP pointed out plays a pack line defense and as I pointed out wants to score first in transition (then he uses a motion if there is no transition opportunity).

That basically makes that post defender in his eyes a big, power forward in the traditional sense.

So basically he has a primary ball hander and a bunch of forwards/wings.

It's not positionless...but instead of five strictly defined spots (pg, sg, sf, pf, c) it's at the most 3 (pg, scoring forward, post). Under Archie it's probably two (pg, an array of forwards).

Interesting. I do get the impression Archie is building his new team a lot like the Matta OSU teams.

Miller was listed as 5-11 and a regulation basketball is about 9.5" in diameter.

Viewing this photo on a phone (not a larger monitor), it looks to me like like placing the ball on Archie's head would bring the top of the ball to his eyebrows. I have no reason to doubt that he's 6-10.

Looks like the kid is leaning slightly towards Archie. That kid is a foot taller so even if Archie is only 5'9...

ADVERTISEMENT