ADVERTISEMENT

For those complaining about IU's 'culture', a reminder of what it is not...

Is Michigan just loaded with dirty,corrupt county prosecutors or what? It seems most of these cases are open and shut. He admitted to it yet they still didn't prosecute. Money exchanging hands?
It's a circumstantial case. Those are never open and shut, but his case is the kind I'd expect to get charged.

I can also say from experience that news reports that recount evidence in an uncharged case are not always reliable. The reporter, well-meaning or not, may not understand the dynamics of a charging decision well enough to accurately summarize all the relevant evidence.

Diy-Hat-Rack-Ideas.png

Reactions: RunninRichie
I had a friend who was a district attorney in a fairly large city. I also had a friend who did not have her case filed.
Their point was that the attorney office keeps a won and lost record. They prosecute cases they can win. An exception does exist if there is a high profile case that would yield publicity.
Often the prosecutor runs for public office and want to use his "success" in prosecuting crimes.
I have no idea if this is widespread or not. I have only the above two samples from different states.

I had a friend who was a district attorney in a fairly large city. I also had a friend who did not have her case filed.
Their point was that the attorney office keeps a won and lost record. They prosecute cases they can win. An exception does exist if there is a high profile case that would yield publicity.
Often the prosecutor runs for public office and want to use his "success" in prosecuting crimes.
I have no idea if this is widespread or not. I have only the above two samples from different states.
It’s also about allocating limited resources toward cases that experienced prosecutors believe they can reasonably win. Easy to judge in arrears but much harder to get convictions, especially in circumstantial cases.

It’s also about allocating limited resources toward cases that experienced prosecutors believe they can reasonably win. Easy to judge in arrears but much harder to get convictions, especially in circumstantial cases.
Good point. Dollars decide right and wrong. Who knew.

I despise posts like this. It should be a given that we don’t have these problems in the basketball program, not cause for self-congratulations or pats on the back. The culture of the athletic department under Fred Glass’ leadership is a problem...
IU boots a football player out of school for a violation of the student code, and it was widely reported to have been an alleged sexual assault that wasn’t prosecuted. IU also recruited the football player from FW up until has last issue in high school, but there had been others. I’m not sure the water is all that different on many college campuses where you have a small group of people who sometimes exhibit very offensive behaviors. Easy to say there are cover ups, but the facts almost never rise to anywhere close to the allegations.

I despise posts like this. It should be a given that we don’t have these problems in the basketball program, not cause for self-congratulations or pats on the back. The culture of the athletic department under Fred Glass’ leadership is a problem...

Despise away, never mind that there are no "self-congratulations or pats on the back" anywhere in the thread, only you divining an excuse to whine.

These things always have layers of detail that most don’t bother to research or understand. Easy to slam others without many facts . . . It’s lazy but par for the course with some.

Despise away, never mind that there are no "self-congratulations or pats on the back" anywhere in the thread, only you divining an excuse to whine.

It’s right there in your title. “A reminder of what it’s not” as if we’re supposed to be thankful for that and forgive all other shortcomings. Your intent was crystal clear in spite of you being dishonest about it now, likely because you know it’s a BS argument.

It’s right there in your title. “A reminder of what it’s not” as if we’re supposed to be thankful for that and forgive all other shortcomings. Your intent was crystal clear in spite of you being dishonest about it now, likely because you know it’s a BS argument.

it’s more of a “nice to have thing.” Not a “hang a banner thing.” Lol. It does seem like MSU has more than its fair share of this shit...

I can understand that after looking at a case and the evidence a DA would not file because they can't think they can win. It is very sad, but sometimes rape is hard to prove. From the tax payer point of view I suppose we would want our DA's to take all that into consideration when deciding to file or not. Women who are raped need to go in immediately and have a rape kit done. Unfortunately so many of them are so traumatized because of what happened they can't think of it beforehand. They also need to tell people they know that they were raped, who raped them and how it happened. This will create corroborative evidence at least that they did not change their story later on.

I didn't take it that way at all. The first part of your response (that we should be thankful we haven't become what MSU is) is correct and I wholeheartedly agree. The second part of that sentence ( that we "forgive all other shortcomings") is pure speculation and interpretation on your part. Nothing of the sort was overtly stated nor implied by the op. Pretty big stretch imo that the intent you found to be "crystal clear" was intended by op.

Being disgusted by the climate at MSU and being glad that it doesn't seem to be the case at IU in no way implies that Hoosier fans think everything is perfect at IU. That's you projecting something that isn't necessarily the case at all.

You don't know jack. “A reminder of what it’s not” was/is simply a reminder to those bemoaning IU's culture that all is not 'wrong' with the Program. But believe as you like - always easier to project/protect one's narrative than to maintain an open mind. Not going to learn much if anything that way, but that's on you.

You don't know jack. “A reminder of what it’s not” was/is simply a reminder to those bemoaning IU's culture that all is not 'wrong' with the Program. But believe as you like - always easier to project/protect one's narrative than to maintain an open mind. Not going to learn much if anything that way, but that's on you.

Right. Ignore/minimize our problems because the other guy is corrupt. Like the people on here who wanted to give the boob in pinstripes an atta-boy last year because he wasn’t Jurich down at Louisville. Thanks for making my point...

Right. Ignore/minimize our problems because the other guy is corrupt. Like the people on here who wanted to give the boob in pinstripes an atta-boy last year because he wasn’t Jurich down at Louisville. Thanks for making my point...

You're beginning to sound like Ord. Show me any language in the thread that remotely specifies anyone here should "ignore/minimize our problems" - your vivid but not terribly lucid imagination doesn't count. Good luck.

I don't see anyone making your point.

The elephant in the room is that even with all their baggage MSU is still better positioned than we currently are for success in the two major sports right now. Better think long and hard about why that is...

The elephant in the room is that even with all their baggage MSU is still better positioned than we currently are for success in the two major sports right now. Better think long and hard about why that is...
So would you prefer that we condone and cover up rampant sexual deviance on the part of our football and basketball players if it were the means to a more successful program ?

So would you prefer that we condone and cover up rampant sexual deviance on the part of our football and basketball players if it were the means to a more successful program ?

Clearly not. Just pointing out that a program like that outpacing us is is a testament to the ineptness of the leadership in our athletic department.

Clearly not. Just pointing out that a program like that outpacing us is is a testament to the ineptness of the leadership in our athletic department.
MSU has been ahead of us in both sports for more than 20 years, and our equal for years before that. It has nothing to do with the current leadership in the IU athletic department. Those two things are completely unrelated.

I have no problem with folks who are unhappy with with our athletic leadership, even if I disagree. But it's a hell of a stretch - and entirely disingenuous - to use every criticism leveled at another program as a platform to twist things into an indictment of the IU athletic program.

Some things are mutually exclusive and shouldn't be brought into the same conversation. MSU's corruption has zero to do with IU's lack of success. Some of the highest achieving programs in the NCAA are as clean or cleaner than ours. It can be done. Nobody in this thread is arguing that it can't. Some of the top programs have sold their souls for wins. And none of that has any connection to whether IU has competent leadership or not.

You hijacked a thread to pursue an agenda. If you want to vent about Fred Glass or whomever, start a different thread. Don't reach into a discussion where it's totally irrelevant.

I didn't take it that way at all. The first part of your response (that we should be thankful we haven't become what MSU is) is correct and I wholeheartedly agree. The second part of that sentence ( that we "forgive all other shortcomings") is pure speculation and interpretation on your part. Nothing of the sort was overtly stated nor implied by the op. Pretty big stretch imo that the intent you found to be "crystal clear" was intended by op.

Being disgusted by the climate at MSU and being glad that it doesn't seem to be the case at IU in no way implies that Hoosier fans think everything is perfect at IU. That's you projecting something that isn't necessarily the case at all.

We don’t have MSU’s cultural problem, thankfully.

We do, however, have our own cultural problem that is completely distinct from theirs.

This isn’t complicated.

Reactions: Birnk403
We don’t have MSU’s cultural problem, thankfully.

We do, however, have our own cultural problem that is completely distinct from theirs.

This isn’t complicated.

Because we didn’t have a hidden-gem future HOF 17-year assistant coach ready for a smooth transition to HC? I don’t remember a lot of hype around Izzo before he got the job. Maybe let’s not pretend the rise of Izzo was because of their culture. He built their culture.

Because we didn’t have a hidden-gem future HOF 17-year assistant coach ready for a smooth transition to HC? I don’t remember a lot of hype around Izzo before he got the job. Maybe let’s not pretend the rise of Izzo was because of their culture. He built their culture.

Good and bad alike.

Reactions: hondo314
MSU deserves to go down HARD. Major sanctions in Basketball and Footbal for sexual assault cover-up. A culture of sexual assault crimes. That would remove Izzo. DeAntonio already resigned. Take away scholarships and leave MSU buried in total shame the cellar in the B1G, as they should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT