ADVERTISEMENT

For Rock, one of the best songs ever.

I'm a parrothead

I've attended several Buffet concerts and enjoyed all of them. He's the hardest working blow off in the world.

By the way, a hijack

Below there was a discussion of jazz influences. There's a heavy jazz influence here.

Old white guys rule!

Rolling-Stones-copy.jpg,qresize=470,P2C471.pagespeed.ce.h_wu0frOvkr5PD6KbAE_.jpg

yeah, if I really knew anything about music

I'm sure that's great...I don't know the difference betweent an A and an F, I'm glad my kids do. I just like lyrics more than the music which is why I like Buffett it tells a story.

Parrothead to parrothead

Don't talk yourself down. Thanks for the links.

That was the first Buffett song I learned.

I saw you made the same comment about my Winwood link below. I'll always be partial to just one guy picking on an acoustic.

It's dazzling

When so much music comes from such a simple place. It makes me smile.

More Ipanema

Here is Joao and Astrud Gilberto doing the classic with Stan Getz. Is this not perfect? Does it not make you wish you lived decades ago? I love this stuff.

One of my favorites but I raise with

And if anyone said cheeseburger in paradise I'd punch them in the throat., I hate that song.

Tin cup

Rock, do you listen

to music a lot? What is your favorite type or do you listen to a wide variety? I listen to a pretty wide variety.... Christian, country, pop, and even really enjoy relaxing music like this[/URL].

I hate you

I remember playing that song on repeat while rocking my daughter to sleep when she was a baby. That brought a tear to my eye.

I should listen a lot more than I do

If I devoted every minute I spend here to music, I'd be a lot better off. And we haven't even ventured into classical music. Meanwhile, unrepentant hippie Todd Snider is right at the center of my wheelhouse.

I like that

but had never heard of him. I like a lot of the old songs really well. I've always like CCR, Tommy James and the Shondells, The Birds, etc. I have probably 5-6 hundred CDs. I just about always have music on when I'm in the car. I just can't get into classical music and I've tried. However, I do like musicians like Phil Coulter....I have a lot of his CDs. Of course it puts me too sleep but to me it's real relaxing.

I only know the classical basics

The Canon in D has brought tears to countless eyes at weddings.

Here's a fun fact: When he composed his legendary 9th Symphony, Ludwig von Beethoven was deaf. He heard his masterpiece only in his imagination. Nor could he hear the standing ovation when it was first performed in 1824. Wow.

I do really like

the Canon in D.....I know I have it somewhere....not sure who is playing the version I have. I'll have to go back and check but I know I like it.

On Edit: This is the version that I have.
This post was edited on 4/6 7:32 AM by NPT

What is uniquely American about it?

I know the history about how it was commissioned, and how Copland came up with the name. But because it was to honor those who were fighting in WWII, which includes American soldiers for sure, and also American workers who were busting their butts to provide the materiel for the war . . .

. . . but the effort wasn't Americans alone. The Allies, the partisan fighters underground . . .

. . . I've never thought of FFTCM as for Americans only . . .

. . . maybe that's what makes it the most American song ever?

ADVERTISEMENT