ADVERTISEMENT

For people who are blaming Penix...

The only reason that IU has probably elevated it’s profile the last couple of years is because we finally did focus on defense. Watched decades of pretty solid offenses working with defenses that were Swiss Cheese. This is a better path to take. However, that said, I’m not sure that this defense is all that “good.” Offense does have players. But, we may need a team psychiatrist to help with the instructions to get their heads out of their rectal cavities.
I totally get that. But it’s clear the straight up regression on offense we’re going to struggle for bowls. We need an average offense at worst to be successful as IU and we’re very below average right now.

I totally get that. But it’s clear the straight up regression on offense we’re going to struggle for bowls. We need an average offense at worst to be successful as IU and we’re very below average right now.
Don’t disagree and a big contributor to why IU could lose a bunch of games this year. That said, I’d much rather build a program from the foundation up on the backs of defense and then develop the offense. These teams that rely on shootouts very rarely maintain that throughout the years with any success because most programs see dips in the offensive production about every recruiting cycle. Teams that pride themselves on defense like Iowa or Wisconsin typically never see some significant drop on that unit year to year.

I don't think it's completely black and white. Clearly there are other factors besides Penix including the offensive line, dropped balls and yes coaching / scheme. However, to say simply say that 'it's not Penix' is to be in a bit of denial in my opinion. @E.Z.Rider posted the PFF grades through week 3 for B1G QBs and Penix was dead last. That's pretty objective analytics but it basically confirmed what was already known - No. 9 is playing badly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't get how someone can say gee it's just not his fault at all.
Can he get better? Definitely so. We can expect his best performance of the season on Saturday, say 250 yards and 2 or 3 TDs. But let's not just look at the final stat line. Let's evaluate 1) did he protect the football (throw it away or take the sack rather than forcing the issue) 2) mechanics (are his shoulders pointing toward the target, is he stepping into the throws) 3) is he reading the defenses / going through his protections or does he seem lost if option 1 isn't open.
Even if he plays well let's not get ahead of ourselves because there are 8 more B1G defenses to face.
Go Hoosiers!

p.s. - My father passed last night - prayers for my heartbroken mother are appreciated.
Sorry to hear of your dad dying and prayers for your mom as I know how tough it is on them to love their partner in life.

Penix does need to improve his throws and reads but it also takes the OL and receivers doing along with the RBs doing their jobs. Most importantly is our OC making calls to help every player out giving the offense a better chance of having success. Why aren't we running three TEs at times to get the running game going better with play action passes off that formation creating problems for the defense? There are a number of ways to create issues for the defense and I hope we see IU offense on fire tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's so frustrating because we've had some prolific offenses in the past 25 years under Cameron and Wilson. And Lynch's 2007 seven-win team was capable of putting up points as well. The piece that always seemed unattainable at IU was defense. Now that we've got it, the offense has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Gotta get things back on track offensively, beginning tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT