ADVERTISEMENT

For me, here is the problem:

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulcherboy

Freshman
Dec 5, 2002
If this turns into a four-win season for IU, then the real problem manifests itself in living rooms all over Indiana and Florida when other coaches talk to prospective recruits interested in the Hoosiers. Their message could well go something like this:
"Take a look at Indiana's recent history. In 2016, they won six games; in 2017 they won five games and this season, they won four games. How many games do you think they're going to win next season? I'm guessing they will win three games. And, before you can graduate, they will be down to losing every game on the schedule. Do you seriously think that trend will get you to the NFL?"
And that could become a mantra impossible to overcome, which will hurt recruiting, which will hurt performance on the field.
Perhaps the single most critical question for IU football is: For how much longer will Fred Glass' man-crush on Tom Allen last?

Reactions: IUgradman
If this turns into a four-win season for IU, then the real problem manifests itself in living rooms all over Indiana and Florida when other coaches talk to prospective recruits interested in the Hoosiers. Their message could well go something like this:
"Take a look at Indiana's recent history. In 2016, they won six games; in 2017 they won five games and this season, they won four games. How many games do you think they're going to win next season? I'm guessing they will win three games. And, before you can graduate, they will be down to losing every game on the schedule. Do you seriously think that trend will get you to the NFL?"
And that could become a mantra impossible to overcome, which will hurt recruiting, which will hurt performance on the field.
Perhaps the single most critical question for IU football is: For how much longer will Fred Glass' man-crush on Tom Allen last?
I thought I was going to see video clips with mistakes pointed out by the title of the thread..

There is still plenty of football. The best thing to do is put this game behind us and move on. Man glad none of you are my teammates throwing in the towel with 5 games left.

Or you hire an up-and-coming guy and completely overhaul the staff and then go through a guaranteed complete rebuild where.....well....you know the story: A 1-11 season, followed by 3-4 wins after that for up to 5 seasons.
Look what happened at Rutgers post Schiano and Flood. It’s been a dumpster fire and they cannot recover.

Both good coaches who were shady as hell but they are in completely rebuild mode. Same thing with Lovie and that’s an Illinois program that had high success in the 90s and a Rose Bowl in 2007. They went through a revolving door and are a wreck. Hell, they actually get a lot of athletes considering their current state.

I thought I was going to see video clips with mistakes pointed out by the title of the thread..

There is still plenty of football. The best thing to do is put this game behind us and move on. Man glad none of you are my teammates throwing in the towel with 5 games left.

It's a legit concern at this time because Minnesota, MD, and Purdue right now ALL look like better teams than IU.

I sat 15 rows up behind the IU team on Saturday and I was very concerned about the demeanor of the IU team as a whole......frankly, no one other than Allen and the coaches appeared to be particularly surprised/concerned that we were getting our asses handed to us. There was no noticeable player leadership on either side of the ball on the sidelines.

I thought that last year, toward the end of the year, there appeared to be a lack of urgency with the team. I think I'm seeing the same this year. Frankly, if CTA doesn't get these guys fired up he won't be here long.

Reactions: Lillyr66
It's a legit concern at this time because Minnesota, MD, and Purdue right now ALL look like better teams than IU.

I sat 15 rows up behind the IU team on Saturday and I was very concerned about the demeanor of the IU team as a whole......frankly, no one other than Allen and the coaches appeared to be particularly surprised/concerned that we were getting our asses handed to us. There was no noticeable player leadership on either side of the ball on the sidelines.

I thought that last year, toward the end of the year, there appeared to be a lack of urgency with the team. I think I'm seeing the same this year. Frankly, if CTA doesn't get these guys fired up he won't be here long.
In "must win" or crucial games (MSU twice, Maryland, Purdue), there's been a concerning lack of focus from the team, and the final score has been reflective of that in each game. Not a good sign.

Reactions: Lillyr66

I agree. Maybe it's me but, my seat is right behind the OL bench and as a group they appeared to be almost lackadaisical in demeanor. The OL coach didn't appear to be fired up at all.

I agree. Maybe it's me but, my seat is right behind the OL bench and as a group they appeared to be almost lackadaisical in demeanor. The OL coach didn't appear to be fired up at all.
Part of being a coach is knowing when to yell at the guys and know when to teach. Last year I had a young coach who was constantly screaming and yelling at the guys and what happened they just tuned him out. Sad thing is he is an excellent coach but they stopped listening to him. The other thing you have to be careful and be absolutely positive it is your guys messing up and not scheme, backs or more guys than you block.

From the TV view we had no fight in us at all for the entire game.
I was wondering if the Ellison decision has the team funky. Anyone got any insight on team morale and Ellison decision?

Part of being a coach is knowing when to yell at the guys and know when to teach. Last year I had a young coach who was constantly screaming and yelling at the guys and what happened they just tuned him out. Sad thing is he is an excellent coach but they stopped listening to him. The other thing you have to be careful and be absolutely positive it is your guys messing up and not scheme, backs or more guys than you block.
There is also the other side of that coin. I am a retired manufacturer and combat veteran...the opposite can be said to be true as the other. Sometimes, pushing and demand for accountability is exactly what is needed and to not do so at a crucial time can bring your entire plans down. Its all about people.

I do not know which is best here as I am not on the bench. But I can say this...we're now past co-incidence. Next time its seen we've got a trend and it wont be a good one.

Reactions: td75 and 82hoosier
It’s always easiest to recruit when you’re new and you can pitch the up and coming hope. It gets a lot harder years 3-5 if you’re not producing results. That’s why this year is so big. Recruiting is trending up which is what you’d expect right now, but we need results to keep it going.

It’s always easiest to recruit when you’re new and you can pitch the up and coming hope. It gets a lot harder years 3-5 if you’re not producing results. That’s why this year is so big. Recruiting is trending up which is what you’d expect right now, but we need results to keep it going.
A rare post from you that I agree with. The dropoff we saw with Wilson illustrates your point.

Yes, we need some more wins - - this year - - to keep the recruiting momentum going.

Reactions: iulb
Yup. I don't see another win this season. If that's true, I wouldn't expect much more than 3-5 wins next year. In year 3, that should be fireable. Fred should not wait it out.

I was quiet and patient last year even though I was skeptical of the hire. This year the team has looked terrible even in its wins against cupcake teams. The team is poorly coached, period. TA was a much better coordinator and doesn't seem to have what it takes at this stage to be a head coach.

Yup. I don't see another win this season. If that's true, I wouldn't expect much more than 3-5 wins next year. In year 3, that should be fireable. Fred should not wait it out.

I was quiet and patient last year even though I was skeptical of the hire. This year the team has looked terrible even in its wins against cupcake teams. The team is poorly coached, period. TA was a much better coordinator and doesn't seem to have what it takes at this stage to be a head coach.
I cant agree with you here at all about next year. Holy cow, the experience the frosh get this season and the growth of both Ramsey and Penix bodes extremely well for tomorrow.

This was a rebuild year. Many just didn't want to except this. I say...if we can get 6 wins this year, we'll get 7 next year, maybe more. Makes sense...

Reactions: iu2win

I cant agree with you here at all about next year. Holy cow, the experience the frosh get this season and the growth of both Ramsey and Penix bodes extremely well for tomorrow.

This was a rebuild year. Many just didn't want to except this. I say...if we can get 6 wins this year, we'll get 7 next year, maybe more. Makes sense...
I don't agree either...Haven't even watched the replay but there were just too many mistakes that are fixable. Offensively we could have easily scored 21-28 more points last week.

Defensively this may take another year or two. If you watch any of the new recruits vids for the defense they are violent tacklers. Can't say that at all about Wilson's guys.

That’s what killed the Wilson regime.

We have been leaning on youth since day one of the new rule. It was bound to catch up to us once these kids hit the "wall". They are by now exhausted playing against the best in the country when just a few months back they were still in high school. But by next season they will have increased in size and stamina by just getting a year older. And the experiences they are getting this year is gold...gold win or lose. So I believe in tomorrow. Allen will be another year into his learning curve too. We may or may not change some staff but as a whole, we should be able to win with what weve got now...imo. Just gonna be a year away...most likely.

This one aint over yet...vbg

We have been leaning on youth since day one of the new rule. It was bound to catch up to us once these kids hit the "wall". They are by now exhausted playing against the best in the country when just a few months back they were still in high school. But by next season they will have increased in size and stamina by just getting a year older. And the experiences they are getting this year is gold...gold win or lose. So I believe in tomorrow. Allen will be another year into his learning curve too. We may or may not change some staff but as a whole, we should be able to win with what weve got now...imo. Just gonna be a year away...most likely.

This one aint over yet...vbg
You could have copied and pasted this from hundreds of posts last year.

It’s always next year are IU.

You could have copied and pasted this from hundreds of posts last year.

It’s always next year are IU.
I sure as f*** didn't say it and if you say I did...your a liar...I said this was a rebuilding year and got laughed at...probably by you...

Crawl back in your hole before your really start something...

I sure as f*** didn't say it and if you say I did...your a liar...I said this was a rebuilding year and got laughed at...probably by you...

Crawl back in your hole before your really start something...
We’re not in a rebuilding position at all. If you want to remove any standards based on calling it a “rebuilding year” that’s fine, but don’t expect rational fans to go along with that line of thinking. This group has a lot of experience.

uh.... that's happened for the better part of the last 50 years. the only way to build a successful fb program is to hire a coach you believe in and give him the tools he needs to succeed and stick with him till he gets there. hiring and firing coaches every 3 or 4 years is a sure path to perpetual failure.

Reactions: lorenaimee and 76-1
and it seemed to me that Tim was always calling duct tape.... duck tape. WTF! How much do you understand home improvement if you make that error. It would be like a president talking about nuculer weapons.

Reactions: IUgradman and IUCol
The only way I would see a change justified is if they truly lose the team. Agree you can’t keep 3-4yr carousel of coaches but losing a team would be a different scenario. Personally I don’t see them losing this team.

I know many coaches and have worked for and with many great coaches. Yes that is a coaches responsibility and Tim Allen has taken full responsibility for last week.
I get that he’s said he’s responsible, however, the unmistakeable trend is that Iu is falling flat in these winnable games. The players acknowledging a bad “vibe” is a pretty clear admission that something is missing, and it’s much more than simply the talent of the team.

You claim to have coached yet you thought IU would have success against Iowa’s O line and you picked them to win. Why do you think you were so far off in your assessment?

Why should we keep entrusting Fred with hiring and firing coaches? He has an awful track record in that area. At most schools, the AD who hired the bad coach is not around to hire the new one.

Why should we keep entrusting Fred with hiring and firing coaches? He has an awful track record in that area. At most schools, the AD who hired the bad coach is not around to hire the new one.
Get clue because you have such a hatred for some reason of Glass that it fogs your judgment.
Men's Basketball- Archie looks pretty good
women's basketball- pretty good hire and coming off a NIT championship
Baseball sounds like a really good hire
Soccer- one of the best teams in the country
Volleyball- everyone says this coach is very good.
Softball very good hire
Swimming one of the best teams in the country
Football to early to tell

I was skeptical and critical of how Glass handled the entire Wilson issue. I also believed and still do, that Glass is all in with Allen and we as fans are also. He MUST be successful in my opinion in order for our program to ever have a chance. This is why I think Allen is our coach regardless for at least 10 years.... we can’t keep switching coaches.

We know he can coach defenses as good as anyone. I still think there is an issue with our approach to having the head coach be the coordinator for what ever his specialty is. Wilson was the O coordinator and Allen is the D coordinator. Anyone who thinks they weren’t are not being realistic. When you see a slide in said disciplines, I think it is a reflection of being spread too thin trying to wear two hats.

Provide the cash for good coordinators. I like what I see from Allen. I’d like to see him successful. I am concerned though. I still think we are suffering from some less than stellar recruiting classes that looked good on paper with CKW but did not pan out particularly in relation to the LOS. He failed at recruiting a QB period. That will happen but it kills a program like ours that is trying to get up off the Matt.

Right now I am seeing a possible Kragthorpe (Louisvillle) comparison to Allen. I hope not. But Kragthorpe went off the rails a bit and ended up losing his team in the lockeroom with some nutty crap. I don’t think that is happening right now but if the team doesn’t respond to Allen’s call for improvement, we are gonna have to look internal.

I was skeptical and critical of how Glass handled the entire Wilson issue. I also believed and still do, that Glass is all in with Allen and we as fans are also. He MUST be successful in my opinion in order for our program to ever have a chance. This is why I think Allen is our coach regardless for at least 10 years.... we can’t keep switching coaches.

We know he can coach defenses as good as anyone. I still think there is an issue with our approach to having the head coach be the coordinator for what ever his specialty is. Wilson was the O coordinator and Allen is the D coordinator. Anyone who thinks they weren’t are not being realistic. When you see a slide in said disciplines, I think it is a reflection of being spread too thin trying to wear two hats.

Provide the cash for good coordinators. I like what I see from Allen. I’d like to see him successful. I am concerned though. I still think we are suffering from some less than stellar recruiting classes that looked good on paper with CKW but did not pan out particularly in relation to the LOS. He failed at recruiting a QB period. That will happen but it kills a program like ours that is trying to get up off the Matt.

Right now I am seeing a possible Kragthorpe (Louisvillle) comparison to Allen. I hope not. But Kragthorpe went off the rails a bit and ended up losing his team in the lockeroom with some nutty crap. I don’t think that is happening right now but if the team doesn’t respond to Allen’s call for improvement, we are gonna have to look internal.
“We know he can coach defense as good as anyone”

I mean WHAT?! How in the world do we know this??!! As good as anyone??!! He just got throttled for 500 yards against IOWA.

So he has one year where we’re the 9th best D in the Big Ten and all of a sudden he’s as good as ANYONE in the country?! This is the kind of thinking that leads to decades of busted hopes and false dreams. Unbelievable.

“We know he can coach defense as good as anyone”

I mean WHAT?! How in the world do we know this??!! As good as anyone??!! He just got throttled for 500 yards against IOWA.

So he has one year where we’re the 9th best D in the Big Ten and all of a sudden he’s as good as ANYONE in the country?! This is the kind of thinking that leads to decades of busted hopes and false dreams. Unbelievable.

You are crazy...he has a track record... he even took us I believe into the top 35 wasnt it? He has had success. What I said was when see declines in what their specialty is I think it has to do with being spread to thin. You can argue his track record isn’t long enough. I’ll accept that. But what track record he has had has been better than most on defense.

i think he's hired several good coaches

Get clue because you have such a hatred for some reason of Glass that it fogs your judgment.
Men's Basketball- Archie looks pretty good
women's basketball- pretty good hire and coming off a NIT championship
Baseball sounds like a really good hire
Soccer- one of the best teams in the country
Volleyball- everyone says this coach is very good.
Softball very good hire
Swimming one of the best teams in the country
Football to early to tell

None of that matters if you screw up football. And Fred was pushed toward Archie. He was going to give Crean another year before the BOT stepped in. Unqualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT