ADVERTISEMENT

For Argument's Sake

Columbus-Boiler

Sophomore
Jun 6, 2001
We both win our last 2 games.....We both are 1-1 in the BTT tournament. I don't see them putting both teams in the dance. What outcome do you see?

Purdue needs at least 4 more wins before they’re even back in tournament discussion. They only have 4 Q1 wins.

With the head to head advantage, equal conference records and a considerably higher NET ranking I think they have to be in the discussion if the Hoosiers are.

This is all speculation, I don't think either team will win out their last two games btw.

With the head to head advantage, equal conference records and a considerably higher NET ranking I think they have to be in the discussion if the Hoosiers are.

This is all speculation, I don't think either team will win out their last two games btw.

Head 2 Head is not a metric the committee uses. NET Ranking is a guideline not gospel. Fact of the matter is that an 18-15 Purdue team is not likely to be in the tournament. Not enough Q1 wins and have a bad loss to Nebraska. Beating Iowa in Iowa City likely knocks Iowa out of the top 30 in the NET and isn’t considered a Q1 win. IU right now is currently on the right side of the bubble and likely needs 1 more win to seal their fate. There’s too many teams ahead of Purdue right now with better resumes and the bubble will likely shrink as there are always upsets in the lower conference tournaments. Purdue likely needs to get to the BTT semis to even be considered.

Head 2 Head is not a metric the committee uses. NET Ranking is a guideline not gospel. Fact of the matter is that an 18-15 Purdue team is not likely to be in the tournament. Not enough Q1 wins and have a bad loss to Nebraska. Beating Iowa in Iowa City likely knocks Iowa out of the top 30 in the NET and isn’t considered a Q1 win. IU right now is currently on the right side of the bubble and likely needs 1 more win to seal their fate. There’s too many teams ahead of Purdue right now with better resumes and the bubble will likely shrink as there are always upsets in the lower conference tournaments. Purdue likely needs to get to the BTT semis to even be considered.
Beating Iowa in Iowa is a Q1 win regardless of what happens with their rank. Top 75 on the road...

Reactions: Hallrj3

I think (including the B1G tournament) IU needs 2 more wins and Purdue needs 3. And while those are guidelines, the room the committee sits in does discuss such things as head to head AND it's possible Purdue and IU are in a "one or the other" situation this year for the tournament. I don't see IU getting in going 1-2 the rest of the way nor do I see Purdue getting in going 2-1 the rest of the way.

IU has the advantage no doubt, but if I had to bet I'm not sure I would bet on either making it.

I think (including the B1G tournament) IU needs 2 more wins and Purdue needs 3. And while those are guidelines, the room the committee sits in does discuss such things as head to head AND it's possible Purdue and IU are in a "one or the other" situation this year for the tournament. I don't see IU getting in going 1-2 the rest of the way nor do I see Purdue getting in going 2-1 the rest of the way.

IU has the advantage no doubt, but if I had to bet I'm not sure I would bet on either making it.

You’re moving the goal posts now. You just proposed a scenario where if both teams won out and went 1-1 in the BTT who gets in? Indiana is likely in with a win against Minnesota and is simply playing for seeding with a win against Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianiu

IU is definitely winning their next 2 games. PU is definitely not getting into the dance unless they win the BTT. Now GTFOOH.

1. NET ranking Purdue is in.
IU is on the bubble.
IU needs another win.
If it comes down to 1 spot left between IU and PU. Personally neither team should make the NCAA Tournament. Both are bad teams. That can't win on the road.

1. NET ranking Purdue is in.
IU is on the bubble.
IU needs another win.
If it comes down to 1 spot left between IU and PU. Personally neither team should make the NCAA Tournament. Both are bad teams. That can't win on the road.

IU is safely into the tourney, barring back to back home losses to end the regular season next week. Win the 2 home games as expected, plus at least 1 win in the BTT, and IU is looking at no worse than an 8 seed.

PU might be able to make it by winning their 2 final games and then making it to the final game of the BTT. The only way they’re guaranteed to make the dance is by winning the BTT.

You did see what they did at home against Purdue with a program reunion and a packed house, right?

I wouldn’t bet anything on IU. Jekyl and Hyde.

We all did. We also saw IU lose at home to Maryland with a total meltdown in the final 2 minutes, and find a way to lose a game they had won. We all also saw IU beat ranked teams in Iowa, Sparty, PSU, & FSU at home. I expect this team to harness the power of Assembly Hall and win their final 2 home games. I’ll be there for the Wisky game. Go Hoosiers!

Purdue losing to Iowa.
Purdue is too up-and-down
I love the Boilermakers, but, and it’s a big but...with the roller coaster of a ride every month they don’t deserve to be in. Having said that. If they play the way they can play like against Michigan State and Virginia they could win the whole thing.... but they can’t do it consistently

I don't disagree with everything above, and yet EVERY year teams get left out and teams get in that don't make sense so I DO think a lot of factors come into play in the discussion of the last group of teams in the tournament.

We both win our last 2 games.....We both are 1-1 in the BTT tournament. I don't see them putting both teams in the dance. What outcome do you see?

if IU wins 3 more games it’s an absolute lock that they make the tourney. The question becomes, should PU also get in?

Many here will make assumptions about how this year’s committee will use various factors. However, I am not willing to jump to any conclusions. IU’s biggest weakness from a resume perspective is that they didn’t schedule any difficult teams. I realize that when it’s all said and done that their SOS is tough, but that’s because of games that we had no control over (conference games and the acc challenge). With both teams having an identical conference record, Pu sweeping us, and Pu having the tougher nc schedule, I have a tough time seeing them not making it If we do. They would be the better team over the last 22 games Of the season. They shouldn’t be penalized because they scheduled a tougher group of teams.

if IU wins 3 more games it’s an absolute lock that they make the tourney. The question becomes, should PU also get in?

Many here will make assumptions about how this year’s committee will use various factors. However, I am not willing to jump to any conclusions. IU’s biggest weakness from a resume perspective is that they didn’t schedule any difficult teams. I realize that when it’s all said and done that their SOS is tough, but that’s because of games that we had no control over (conference games and the acc challenge). With both teams having an identical conference record, Pu sweeping us, and Pu having the tougher nc schedule, I have a tough time seeing them not making it If we do. They would be the better team over the last 22 games Of the season. They shouldn’t be penalized because they scheduled a tougher group of teams.

What tough games did Purdue schedule? They played Marquette in the Gavit Games, Butler in the Crossroads, Virginia in the ACC/B10 challenge, and played FSU/VCU in a tournament. The only “tough” game they scheduled was Texas at home, a game they lost. Weak argument.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard

The committee doesn't care whether your SOS came from conference or some other way. We play in the best conference in the country.

Purdue beat us twice. They also lost to Nebraska and have a worse Q1 record. Their record sucks. They have to go on a run to get in.

Some of it will depend too for both teams on how many "unexpected" upset conference tournament winners there are. You get a smaller conference with a team with 25 wins who loses to a .500 teams and suddenly that conference takes 2 spots instead of one. Makes it fun to speculate.

We all did. We also saw IU lose at home to Maryland with a total meltdown in the final 2 minutes, and find a way to lose a game they had won. We all also saw IU beat ranked teams in Iowa, Sparty, PSU, & FSU at home. I expect this team to harness the power of Assembly Hall and win their final 2 home games. I’ll be there for the Wisky game. Go Hoosiers!

Wisconsin has a curse over IU and it likely will continue. I thought it was just Crean but Archie is in the same boat. This team might have one more win in them before they call it a season.

Wisconsin has a curse over IU and it likely will continue. I thought it was just Crean but Archie is in the same boat. This team might have one more win in them before they call it a season.

Archie’s 1-2 against Wisconsin, premature to call it a curse don’t you think? IU’s beaten Wisconsin 3/4 times they’ve visited Assembly Hall.

I don't disagree with everything above, and yet EVERY year teams get left out and teams get in that don't make sense so I DO think a lot of factors come into play in the discussion of the last group of teams in the tournament.

I know Purdue fans feel like they should be ahead of Indiana because you guys are 2-0 against us. But the problem is, the Purdue team that beat Indiana is a fraud. They play those games like the National Championship. They can’t play like that against anyone else or else they wouldn’t lose as much as they do. If Indiana wins just 1 more game their Resume is so much better than Purdue sans Purdue just going on a 4-5 game winning streak.

I know Purdue fans feel like they should be ahead of Indiana because you guys are 2-0 against us. But the problem is, the Purdue team that beat Indiana is a fraud. They play those games like the National Championship. They can’t play like that against anyone else or else they wouldn’t lose as much as they do. If Indiana wins just 1 more game their Resume is so much better than Purdue sans Purdue just going on a 4-5 game winning streak.

Actually, they are 7-0 against IU over the last 7 games.
I hate this “Super Bowl” narrative everyone keeps throwing out. The fact is that Purdue has had the better program the last 3 years and that has played out in each of our games. It’s sad that if Purdue is the “fraud” we all believe that Archie cannot find a way to beat them once. This year wasn’t even remotely competitive.

That's a horrible match-up for us.

Adding Potter was huge for them. They are physical enough to play with us and play 10x smarter.

How has this team done the last couple of years in do or die situations? V. OSU to make the tourney? V. Purdue at home with RMK coming back, and after 5 straight losses to them? At Purdue, where they lost their s*** for 20 minutes in the middle of the game?

We might be better off NOT getting a 1st round bye. That way we could be pretty sure of 2 remaining wins.

Adding Potter was huge for them. They are physical enough to play with us and play 10x smarter.

How has this team done the last couple of years in do or die situations? V. OSU to make the tourney? V. Purdue at home with RMK coming back, and after 5 straight losses to them? At Purdue, where they lost their s*** for 20 minutes in the middle of the game?

We might be better off NOT getting a 1st round bye. That way we could be pretty sure of 2 remaining wins.

Hmm.

Won 4 consecutive games to end the regular season last year after losing 12/13 just to get back into tourney consideration.

Went 3-1 after 80% of this board declared Indiana dead after losing to Purdue the first time steadily playing their way into the tournament (there were a few posters who didn’t think IU would win a remaining game).

Last two road games have been tough, especially Illinois, but backs against the wall, IU has answered the call more times than not. Fully expect IU to win the next two games and look forward to them trying to improve their seeding in the BTT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grateful Redbeard

purdue at home was do or die? Lol. But thanks for the single example from the last “couple of years”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT