ADVERTISEMENT

Food Shortages

FWIW, you almost certainly didn't get sick from spoiled food. Usually, when food is spoiled, you know it, and you don't eat it. If you had food poisoning - and it sounds like food poisoning to me - you almost certainly got it because someone didn't wash their hands and contaminated your salad.

Indeed. More likely a salad or contaminated silverware or cheap beer.

FWIW, you almost certainly didn't get sick from spoiled food. Usually, when food is spoiled, you know it, and you don't eat it. If you had food poisoning - and it sounds like food poisoning to me - you almost certainly got it because someone didn't wash their hands and contaminated your salad.

Damn, I didn’t realize that. I always assumed the cream in pasta.

You don’t get bothered by potato salad, macaroni salad and cole slaw that sits outside in heat of summer at picnics?

Damn, I didn’t realize that. I always assumed the cream in pasta.

You don’t get bothered by potato salad, macaroni salad and cole slaw that sits outside in heat of summer at picnics?
We don't let it sit out in the sun, and once it's hot and nasty, I don't eat it, anyway.

That said, as long as it has been sitting out for less than four hours, the odds of you getting "food poisoning" - i.e., sick from a pathogen - are slim to none. Usually, when old lukewarm food that's been sitting out makes you feel sick, it's just a generic feeling of being unwell that's your body's natural reaction to eating nasty shit (don't do that!).

But what you described above sounds like a legit bug, which, forgive the bluntness, probably came from someone not washing properly after he wiped his ass, and spreading his E. coli all over your lettuce. Could have been the salad guy in the kitchen, or it could have been the guy picking the lettuce a week before and seven states away.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
We don't let it sit out in the sun, and once it's hot and nasty, I don't eat it, anyway.

That said, as long as it has been sitting out for less than four hours, the odds of you getting "food poisoning" - i.e., sick from a pathogen - are slim to none. Usually, when old lukewarm food that's been sitting out makes you feel sick, it's just a generic feeling of being unwell that's your body's natural reaction to eating nasty shit (don't do that!).

But what you described above sounds like a legit bug, which, forgive the bluntness, probably came from someone not washing properly after he wiped his ass, and spreading his E. coli all over your lettuce. Could have been the salad guy in the kitchen, or it could have been the guy picking the lettuce a week before and seven states away.

That’s enough to make you never want to eat out again. Lol.

I am naive. Most of my life it never dawned on me that restaurant employees might desecrate your food. I think the first time I ever thought about it was after a round of golf with a buddy. An asshole (imagine that, we call him a 4th generation tit sucker born with silver spoon in his mouth) lol. We went past a nice little steak house. He said “we can’t stop here, I’ve pissed them off”. I won’t repeat what he said the cook might do to his steak and baked potato. That’s when I learned. Lol.

I’ve dealt with the public a long time and experienced all kinds of assholishness. When I go out to eat I never complain and always leave a good tip no matter the food or service. Hopefully that’s keeps my food safe on most occasions. Lol.

That’s enough to make you never want to eat out again. Lol.

I am naive. Most of my life it never dawned on me that restaurant employees might desecrate your food. I think the first time I ever thought about it was after a round of golf with a buddy. An asshole (imagine that, we call him a 4th generation tit sucker born with silver spoon in his mouth) lol. We went past a nice little steak house. He said “we can’t stop here, I’ve pissed them off”. I won’t repeat what he said the cook might do to his steak and baked potato. That’s when I learned. Lol.

I’ve dealt with the public a long time and experienced all kinds of assholishness. When I go out to eat I never complain and always leave a good tip no matter the food or service. Hopefully that’s keeps my food safe on most occasions. Lol.
I'm honestly a little surprised, considering your heritage. Amish and Mennonite communities have a very well-earned reputation for poor food safety, largely because the old-fashioned methods they use naturally involve a lot of people touching food with unsanitary hands.

Please note, I don't mean this in a derogatory manner, and I personally would be more than happy to eat in an Amish house. But think back to your childhood and imagine how many opportunities there were for someone's hands to go from their mouth or their butt or whatever to a piece of food. Happens all the time. All you need to combat it is proper washing, of course, but no one is 100%, and even if you are doing it right 99% of the time, that 1% will eventually lead to illness.

Please don't let this discourage you from eating out, though. Truth is, most restaurant workers are probably way more sanitary than you are. Almost all of the fecal material in your food probably comes from your own rear end. It just usually doesn't make you sick because your body is already used to those particular bugs. When they show up in your small intestine, it's really just a homecoming.

BTW, the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of food service workers would never screw with the safety of your food to spite you, no matter how big of an asshole you are. Food service folks are just like everybody else in that they are generally decent people.

But there's nothing wrong with treating them like kings just to hedge against that tiny percentage that might be vindictive assholes.

BTW, the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of food service workers would never screw with the safety of your food to spite you, no matter how big of an asshole you are. Food service folks are just like everybody else in that they are generally decent people.

But there's nothing wrong with treating them like kings just to hedge against that tiny percentage that might be vindictive assholes.
I think we can survive Colorado's breweries going under (as long as that one just below Colorado School of Mines survives). Now..., if the Oregon craft brewers go under the Republic may well be doomed ;)

I think it was 1975 when Coors allowed their beer to be sold in the East. I was in college. We were able to get Coors beer for six dollars a six-pack, which was at least triple the price of beer back then. We were all so excited to drink that magical brew - pure Rocky Mountain spring water. It tasted like this piss water. One of the best lessons in marketing that I ever learned.

I'm honestly a little surprised, considering your heritage. Amish and Mennonite communities have a very well-earned reputation for poor food safety, largely because the old-fashioned methods they use naturally involve a lot of people touching food with unsanitary hands.

Please note, I don't mean this in a derogatory manner, and I personally would be more than happy to eat in an Amish house. But think back to your childhood and imagine how many opportunities there were for someone's hands to go from their mouth or their butt or whatever to a piece of food. Happens all the time. All you need to combat it is proper washing, of course, but no one is 100%, and even if you are doing it right 99% of the time, that 1% will eventually lead to illness.

Please don't let this discourage you from eating out, though. Truth is, most restaurant workers are probably way more sanitary than you are. Almost all of the fecal material in your food probably comes from your own rear end. It just usually doesn't make you sick because your body is already used to those particular bugs. When they show up in your small intestine, it's really just a homecoming.

You’re right about Amish/Mennonite communities.

I think back to my childhood and “butchering” days. Many family members gathering to slaughter and process beef and swine. Most done outside in a shed or barn. At the time it never dawned on me how unsanitary it was. Don’t remember anyone getting food poisoning. My son gets ill when we talk about those days and eating all parts of the animals.

My mom is a clean freak and drove the employees crazy cleaning in our restaurant.

I think it was 1975 when Coors allowed their beer to be sold in the East. I was in college. We were able to get Coors beer for six dollars a six-pack, which was at least triple the price of beer back then. We were all so excited to drink that magical brew - pure Rocky Mountain spring water. It tasted like this piss water. One of the best lessons in marketing that I ever learned.

Coors is just watered down Bud..., without the soap taste...

The brewery I was referring to above is in an old garage on a street just below the Colorado School of Mines campus (whose actual name escapes me)...

Has a great Australian Shepherd mascot that rules the outdoor area...:)

Reactions: Spartans9312
I do OK, until that coronavirus "press briefing" comes on. All that bloviating makes me pound the bottle, and HARD, in order to cope with the lies and madness.

The only parts I listen to are the Drs and the logistics people. Ignore Trump, the questions/answers and the fact checking hysteria afterwards and you will be fine.

Man did this thread take an interesting turn...:eek:

Artificial meat companies like Beyond Meat are going to be filing in part of the void and this will really hurt our farmers in the long run as it takes much less grain to produce artificial meat. During WWII there were lots of agricultural products that were rationed but life went on pretty much as always. I hope it doesn't come to that but it may. Not many people would like to see their sugar diets restricted.

To a lesser extent folks out west felt the same way about Strohs.

Reactions: 76-1
Disagree, the mass produced domestics are bland and boring.

IMO there are different beers for different situations. My garage fridge will always be well stocked with very cold domestic light beers. The basement fridge will always have craft beers. I like both.

Turkey thighs, with lots of gravy. And a good red wine. Creamed onions and green bean, mushroom soup and cheddar casserole. Oh, and a good cranberry salad or relish. What more does one need? Well, outside of a good ribeye . . .
Dafuq are creamed onions

I think we can survive Colorado's breweries going under (as long as that one just below Colorado School of Mines survives). Now..., if the Oregon craft brewers go under the Republic may well be doomed ;)
Agreed. For basically inventing the craft beer industry, Colorado has been left in the dust.

IIRC, back then Coors didn't pasteurize their beer, so it had to be shipped cold and stored cold. That kept it confined to a small region. It was only after they relented and started pasteurizing that they went national.

You’re right about Amish/Mennonite communities.

I think back to my childhood and “butchering” days. Many family members gathering to slaughter and process beef and swine. Most done outside in a shed or barn. At the time it never dawned on me how unsanitary it was. Don’t remember anyone getting food poisoning. My son gets ill when we talk about those days and eating all parts of the animals.

My mom is a clean freak and drove the employees crazy cleaning in our restaurant.

We never did our butchering on days when it was above freezing, just for sanitary reasons. We always kept our knives in soapy water when we weren’t using them and the wooden planks on sawhorses that we did our cutting on were kept as clean as possible. We tried to do as much as possible to mitigate the spread of germs.

Having said that, I fully realize that our surroundings alone(outdoors, dozens of people around) weren't very sanitary and it wouldn’t pass any sort of health inspection. None of us ever got sick though, that I recall, and that’s still the best food I’ve ever had.

I guess I just have fonder recollections of those days than you. :D

Also, my mom is also a neat freak, even now, in her mid 70’s. When we were kids we joked that if we drew a spot on the floor, she’d have swept clean through it. :D

Reactions: Digressions
IMO there are different beers for different situations. My garage fridge will always be well stocked with very cold domestic light beers. The basement fridge will always have craft beers. I like both.

I tend to drink Coors light outside in the sun and heavier crafts in winter. Sun King Cream Ale is a good half breed.

We never did our butchering on days when it was above freezing, just for sanitary reasons. We always kept our knives in soapy water when we weren’t using them and the wooden planks on sawhorses that we did our cutting on were kept as clean as possible. We tried to do as much as possible to mitigate the spread of germs.

Having said that, I fully realize that our surroundings alone(outdoors, dozens of people around) weren't very sanitary and it wouldn’t pass any sort of health inspection. None of us ever got sick though, that I recall, and that’s still the best food I’ve ever had.

I guess I just have fonder recollections of those days than you. :D

Also, my mom is also a neat freak, even now, in her mid 70’s. When we were kids we joked that if we drew a spot on the floor, she’d have swept clean through it. :D

You had a robust immune system. Immunity is like exercise. The immune system has to operate against a resistance to develop.

One of the great failings of pandemic public eduction is how little public information is provided about how to build a healthy immune system as compared to government exercising its authority about masks, distancing and shut downs. We hear some about immunity from Fauci (and Trump for that matter) but not nearly enough IMO. Most in government think government isn't doing its job unless it displays and uses authority.

High heat and humidity is the great equalizer. And the colder The beer the better it tastes.

I have great memories of quarter-kegs of Genesee Cream Ale on hot muggy summer days. We would order it like pizza. The drinking age was 18 and the liquor stores delivered both on and near campus.

A bottle of the same thing in the winter - not so much.

High heat and humidity is the great equalizer. And the colder The beer the better it tastes.

For me, good beer tastes best at around 45-50f. I guess freezing cold beer is an equalizer because you can't taste much at that temp.

I agree with the idea of summer and winter beer. On hot days, IPA > 50 ibu tastes good, particularly after activity. Cold winter days and I like low 20's.

For me, good beer tastes best at around 45-50f. I guess freezing cold beer is an equalizer because you can't taste much at that temp.

I agree with the idea of summer and winter beer. On hot days, IPA > 50 ibu tastes good, particularly after activity. Cold winter days and I like low 20's.
For me an IPA doesn’t taste good until it’s north of 70 IBU.

I agree with this. For the most part I've switched from IPA to brown ales.
Is fall here yet? I'm ready for some Bell's Best Brown Ale
I love ales across the spectrum with the controversial exception of Belgians. I just think they taste awful. I’ve had expensive and cheap ones and I just can’t get past that spice.

I love ales across the spectrum with the controversial exception of Belgians. I just think they taste awful. I’ve had expensive and cheap ones and I just can’t get past that spice.

All Belgians or certain types? Delirium Tremens is still one of my favorites.

Reactions: Cortez88
All Belgians or certain types? Delirium Tremens is still one of my favorites.
I don’t mind the Flying Dog IPAs which are heavy Belgian influence. But yeah mostly I don’t like em. Can drink em. Don’t like em.

Dafuq are creamed onions

First of all, I'm no cook. I don't even know where the keys to the oven are stored. I'm the clean-up master. Division of labor and all that.

Creamed onions start with the small onions. They are in some type of sauce with bread crumbs on top, cooked as a casserole. I can't provide any more details or ingredients as I'm just on a need-to-know basis. And all I know is that it tastes great.

Robert the Bruce is one of my go to beers this time of the year

Holy Munster, yes!

I have been extolling the virtues of RTB here for years. Could hardly ever find it around here. The big places would laugh at me when I inquired about it, saying, "Three Floyds just sends what they want to us; they're kinda snotty."

Started finding it at some small places then, out of the blue, saw three six packs at Kroger and I snapped them up. Now, they seem to have it all the time. Life is good.

The Kid Down the Hall is coming over from Indy this weekend and he's been instructed to bring over some Wee Mac from Sun King. It's almost as good.

ADVERTISEMENT