ADVERTISEMENT

Food Shortages

stollcpa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 26, 2010
I am sure I am overlooking something and folks on here can get this through my head.

I just got a call from a client that raises turkeys. We have Purdue and Farbest in Southern Indiana that are large producers.

In the last two weeks they’ve both cut the number of birds per barn. They’ve also increased the time between flocks when the barns set empty. The farmer will receive the same price per bird but these two changes will decrease the birds produced and the farmer’s gross income by 20%.

We have empty groceries stores. With changes like these there’s going to be a real shortage in future months.

I am sure I am overlooking something and folks on here can get this through my head.

I just got a call from a client that raises turkeys. We have Purdue and Farbest in Southern Indiana that are large producers.

In the last two weeks they’ve both cut the number of birds per barn. They’ve also increased the time between flocks when the barns set empty. The farmer will receive the same price per bird but these two changes will decrease the birds produced and the farmer’s gross income by 20%.

We have empty groceries stores. With changes like these there’s going to be a real shortage in future months.

I guess the production facilities are the problem.

Has anyone seen vegetable or grain shortages? It seems clear meat may be a problem, but I have yet to see problems with other foods. We can survive a meat shortage, heck it may be "good" for many of us. But if grains and veggies go short, there will be big problems.

Has anyone seen vegetable or grain shortages? It seems clear meat may be a problem, but I have yet to see problems with other foods. We can survive a meat shortage, heck it may be "good" for many of us. But if grains and veggies go short, there will be big problems.
Thought about starting a garden, but it may be too late in our growing season to do so.

Anybody planning on having an immediate and direct supply chain for food this summer?

Thought about starting a garden, but it may be too late in our growing season to do so.

Anybody planning on having an immediate and direct supply chain for food this summer?

If you’re near Odon Indiana I have a client that has amazing store. They slaughter fresh all their beef and pork. The buy chicken and turkey and have amazing spices on the chicken and turkey meat. They have turkey thighs that are like candy. Put them on grill couple minutes. They’re moist and juicy. People who hate Turkey love them.

They have customers coming from as far away as Indy and Eville south.

The husband and wife owners are amazing honest people. They have customers lined up around their parking lot to the highway. They haven’t changed their markup. The only way prices will go up is if the cost to obtain the meat increases.

They’re debating adding 2nd and 3rd shifts. Last night the husband told me people that have never purchased a full beef are calling reserving slots to get a beef. He individuals finding freezers right now is a problem.

I seriously doubt we will see a shortage of grain. Our country is a major exporter of cereal crops, and I'm pretty sure the entire trip from the field to your pantry happens without the need to pass through facilities staffed by closely-packed large groups of employees susceptible to an outbreak.

Produce might be a little trickier, but I'm pretty sure most commercial canneries are highly automated, and also don't necessarily need large groups of workers crowded together. Plus, there's something like a 90-day supply of shelf-stable foods built into the supply chain, so there's time to address a potential shortage before it happens. Obviously, fresh produce doesn't work that way. Some things, like apples, can be held in storage for a long time, and there might be a lot of them sitting around in Washington warehouses. Other things, like lettuce, we're dependent on a continuous supply from warm climates like southern California, Arizona, and Mexico.

Long story short, I don't see Americans running out of food, but we might see fewer options. In fact, I heard a guy on NPR a few weeks ago who transports flatbread products, and he said that fewer options were on the horizon by design, as some producers were scaling back their production to focus on a smaller number of core varieties.

If you’re near Odon Indiana I have a client that has amazing store. They slaughter fresh all their beef and pork. The buy chicken and turkey and have amazing spices on the chicken and turkey meat. They have turkey thighs that are like candy. Put them on grill couple minutes. They’re moist and juicy. People who hate Turkey love them.

The husband and wife owners are amazing honest people. They have customers lined up around their parking lot to the highway. They haven’t changed their markup. The only way prices will go up is if the cost to obtain the meat increases.

They’re debating adding 2nd and 3rd shifts. Last night the husband told me people that have never purchased a full beef are calling reserving slots to get a beef. He individuals finding freezers right now is a problem.

Turkey thighs, with lots of gravy. And a good red wine. Creamed onions and green bean, mushroom soup and cheddar casserole. Oh, and a good cranberry salad or relish. What more does one need? Well, outside of a good ribeye . . .

My parents would buy a side of beef at a time from Stadlers, a meat packing plant that used to be in the old home town . . . I've had more freezer burned burger meat than I care to remember . . . .

MrsSope doesn't like beef enough to buy a side. We'll likely make do with a smattering of chicken, beef and beans for protein this summer, since we generally go more for salads, vegetables and fruits (strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe and water melon when we can get good ones, to supplement the always present bananas). Blackened chicken on a bed of lettuce, onions, strawberries and raisins . . . mmmmmm . . . the local Longhorn here in the ATL burbs does a great job with that dish.)

My parents would buy a side of beef at a time from Stadlers, a meat packing plant that used to be in the old home town . . . I've had more freezer burned burger meat than I care to remember . . . .

MrsSope doesn't like beef enough to buy a side. We'll likely make do with a smattering of chicken, beef and beans for protein this summer, since we generally go more for salads, vegetables and fruits (strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe and water melon when we can get good ones, to supplement the always present bananas). Blackened chicken on a bed of lettuce, onions, strawberries and raisins . . . mmmmmm . . . the local Longhorn here in the ATL burbs does a great job with that dish.)

You had seperation from Stadlers, living near it was terrible when the wind came from that direction. At least I thought so until I went to Greeley CO, which has a plant that is Stadlers on massive steroids.

You had seperation from Stadlers, living near it was terrible when the wind came from that direction. At least I thought so until I went to Greeley CO, which has a plant that is Stadlers on massive steroids.
Maybe so . . . that said, we got some strong whiffs a lot of the time . . . the stench could be stomach-churning if the wind was just right or the air was really heavy.

The funny thing is, I don't remember that smell from the time I was at Central JHS . . . and we walked from the gym to the 8th Street ball field for track and football . . . it had to be there, I just don't remember it.

Maybe so . . . that said, we got some strong whiffs a lot of the time . . . the stench could be stomach-churning if the wind was just right or the air was really heavy.

The funny thing is, I don't remember that smell from the time I was at Central JHS . . . and we walked from the gym to the 8th Street ball field for track and football . . . it had to be there, I just don't remember it.

I do not remember it at Central either. I wonder if it was more a summer thing.

I seriously doubt we will see a shortage of grain. Our country is a major exporter of cereal crops, and I'm pretty sure the entire trip from the field to your pantry happens without the need to pass through facilities staffed by closely-packed large groups of employees susceptible to an outbreak.

Produce might be a little trickier, but I'm pretty sure most commercial canneries are highly automated, and also don't necessarily need large groups of workers crowded together. Plus, there's something like a 90-day supply of shelf-stable foods built into the supply chain, so there's time to address a potential shortage before it happens. Obviously, fresh produce doesn't work that way. Some things, like apples, can be held in storage for a long time, and there might be a lot of them sitting around in Washington warehouses. Other things, like lettuce, we're dependent on a continuous supply from warm climates like southern California, Arizona, and Mexico.

Long story short, I don't see Americans running out of food, but we might see fewer options. In fact, I heard a guy on NPR a few weeks ago who transports flatbread products, and he said that fewer options were on the horizon by design, as some producers were scaling back their production to focus on a smaller number of core varieties.
This is pretty much in line with what I'm hearing. There are people who are saying we're facing an eminent food shortage, but mainly they're talking about meat coming from these meat processing plants. People can survive on grants, fruits, veggies and legumes.

I'm not sure how things are in other places, but the local farmers' market where I am is working to make their food available under current guidelines/restrictions.

This is pretty much in line with what I'm hearing. There are people who are saying we're facing an eminent food shortage, but mainly they're talking about meat coming from these meat processing plants. People can survive on grants, fruits, veggies and legumes.

I'm not sure how things are in other places, but the local farmers' market where I am is working to make their food available under current guidelines/restrictions.

I read a horrible line in an article today, saying that millions of animals raised for slaughter were going to have to be plowed under and buried alive. That's just wrong, on sooooo many levels.

The vegetable issues we see at retail are caused primarily by a packaging and logistics conversion from institutional to retail channel and it should not have taken this long to adjust. Veggies, milk etc are being plowed under because we cannot got it to market.

Grains and even finished grain products such as pasta, cereal or bread are far less of an issue.

The vegetable issues we see at retail are caused primarily by a packaging and logistics conversion from institutional to retail channel and it should not have taken this long to adjust. Veggies, milk etc are being plowed under because we cannot got it to market.

Grains and even finished grain products such as pasta, cereal or bread are far less of an issue.
This is a good point. Repackaging is a major hassle, and it's especially difficult for time-sensitive fresh foods. I've heard stories of milk and produce being delivered on sell-by date, simply because it took so long to get everything through the supply chain while the transition was happening*.

This is going to be a hassle again when restaurants reopen. Quite a few joints will order 40 pounds of tomatoes from GFS, and then wonder what the hell is going on when the driver brings a dozen or so 3-pound bags as a substitute.

*NB: please, everyone, don't throw away produce or milk just because of the sell-by date. If there's no mold and it smells fine, you're good to go.

Flour is hard to find.

Reactions: Scott S
I haven’t thought of the movie Ruthless People in a long time. Here is the scene when Bette Midler has the revelation that she has lost 20 pound while being held hostage:

I read a horrible line in an article today, saying that millions of animals raised for slaughter were going to have to be plowed under and buried alive. That's just wrong, on sooooo many levels.
That is very questionable about the buried alive part of it. I’ve seen several articles about animals being euthanized

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
Yeah...there was a group awhile back that talked to people at these types of factories and at labs where vivisection takes place. Long story short, there is high turnover at those types of places because eventually people with an ounce of compassion can't come to grips with the way animals are treated.

My guess is that what you're discribing takes things to a whole new level in that regard.

The canneries being automated isn’t the concern on fruits and vegetables, a high percentage are still hand harvested. I couldn’t find a recent source worth linking that had good data on which types of veggies are hand picked, but with immigration being shut down for a couple months, I think the harvest part of the system could be a major concern.

Animals that are not sent to market will be utilized by rendering plants for pet food. Look for better pricing on Iams.

Even sour milk is good for baking bread and biscuits, pancakes and waffles and scrambled eggs.

I got food poisoning at Champs in Indy the night before the High School soccer state finals years ago. I had creamy based pasta. I’ve never been as sick in my life. Started about 4am. My son went to the game with friends. My wife drove me home. I laid in the back of our Trail Blazer. Had to stop every few miles. We didn’t have enough toilet paper for all my trips to tall weeds along the road. Lol.

Since that day won’t eat anything past the sell date. No creamy based pasta. I don’t eat potato salad or slaw at outdoor gatherings. I smell stuff when I take kids off. I am completely anal about it.

This is a good point. Repackaging is a major hassle, and it's especially difficult for time-sensitive fresh foods. I've heard stories of milk and produce being delivered on sell-by date, simply because it took so long to get everything through the supply chain while the transition was happening*.

This is going to be a hassle again when restaurants reopen. Quite a few joints will order 40 pounds of tomatoes from GFS, and then wonder what the hell is going on when the driver brings a dozen or so 3-pound bags as a substitute.

*NB: please, everyone, don't throw away produce or milk just because of the sell-by date. If there's no mold and it smells fine, you're good to go.

We have a stake in a logistics firm that transports fresh fruits and veggies. Their customers are distributors who sell to school systems and restaurant chains. Those 8 oz school milk cartons and 10 lb bags of lettuce did not translate to retail. Some progress for sure but it isn't as simple as we would like it to have been.

We need localities to start getting creative and proactive, and temporarily allow restaurants to sell some groceries at retail. This would give them an additional, much-needed revenue stream, and help minimize the waste of perishable foods packaged for wholesale, for which those restaurants have already-established supply, that can't be easily repackaged for the big-box retail supply chain. The City of Boston has taken some responsible steps in this direction and it's being done in other places as well. Food safety of course must be assured, but it can be done.

I got food poisoning at Champs in Indy the night before the High School soccer state finals years ago. I had creamy based pasta. I’ve never been as sick in my life. Started about 4am. My son went to the game with friends. My wife drove me home. I laid in the back of our Trail Blazer. Had to stop every few miles. We didn’t have enough toilet paper for all my trips to tall weeds along the road. Lol.

Since that day won’t eat anything past the sell date. No creamy based pasta. I don’t eat potato salad or slaw at outdoor gatherings. I smell stuff when I take kids off. I am completely anal about it.
FWIW, you almost certainly didn't get sick from spoiled food. Usually, when food is spoiled, you know it, and you don't eat it. If you had food poisoning - and it sounds like food poisoning to me - you almost certainly got it because someone didn't wash their hands and contaminated your salad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT