ADVERTISEMENT

Florida's new anti-riot law

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/17/politics/ron-desantis-covid-florida/index.html

I'll take this over the endless rioting in portland. the exodus from new york; the recall in calif; the mess that's illinois. yes give me desantis all day long for prez. It’s a shame there’s only one DeSantis and one Florida. It’s filling up and getting expensive. Folks are willing to drop heavy bucks to get out of calif and New York.
DeSantis is Trump the Second but much smarter, more articulate and more politically savvy. I think he's the frontrunner for the GOP nomination in 2024.

That said, he'd hardly be a lock for the White House. His friendships with both Trump and Gaetz could prove harmful, particularly if either (or both) gets indicted. He's shifty-eyed, rarely smiles and lacks charisma. The filing of unemployment claims at the beginning of Covid was a well-publicized debacle in Florida. Piney Point could hurt him if it results in another red tide and a concomitant hit to tourism. The anti-riot law could blow up on him if it's found to be unconstitutional. He's definitely got his kryptonite.

DeSantis is Trump the Second but much smarter, more articulate and more politically savvy. I think he's the frontrunner for the GOP nomination in 2024.

That said, he'd hardly be a lock for the White House. His friendships with both Trump and Gaetz could prove harmful, particularly if either (or both) gets indicted. He's shifty-eyed, rarely smiles and lacks charisma. The filing of unemployment claims at the beginning of Covid was a well-publicized debacle in Florida. Piney Point could hurt him if it results in another red tide and a concomitant hit to tourism. The anti-riot law could blow up on him if it's found to be unconstitutional. He's definitely got his kryptonite.
Agreed on all counts

No, world didn't start with obama but that was when the GOP ramped up the we won't do anything the dems want regardless of its merits. I'm sure the GOP were obstructionists before then but they definitely went to full on nutso. Guess they couldn't handle a black man in charge.
The entire issue of lack of bipartisanship genesis was the Bork confirmation hearings. Before both parties' nominees were routinely confirmed. And to have a fat, homicidal lush like Ted Kennedy describe Bork's America as one where women have no constitutional rights was despicable.

Don't think Mary Joe signed up for Ted's Midnight Swimming Class.

And the Senate Democrats all fell in line on the "No" vote like they always do and have since.

Spare us the indignation over Obama. It started with Bork, and should never be lived down by the Republicans.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUJIM and HooDatGuy

So, you think Mr. Trump is not going to be the frontrunner in 2024? Have you told him?

It’s not okay. Doesn’t absolve them from criminal liability. People blocking highways while others are trying to get to work desperately need to be run over without fear of any liability

I hope he runs for president
So getting to a single workday is more important than an entire life? Sounds like something the Chinese or North Korea would dream up.

So getting to a single workday is more important than an entire life? Sounds like something the Chinese or North Korea would dream up.
Correct. Anyone intentionally blocking traffic deserves to be run over. Repeatedly. Traffic is already bad enough.

Isn’t protesting on social media enough. Make their Instagram page black. That’s nice for everyone

Last edited:
In my book this "anti riot" legislation illustrates that the only creative legislation is happening in the state legislatures. Legislatures mostly controlled by Republicans.

Meanwhile Congress is tied up in knots with the Executive branch exchanging Executive Orders which cancel out the other guy's EOs as presidents from both parties take turns occupying the Oval Office.

Just speaking as one unsophisticated legislative writer, the anti riot legislation appears to me to be unpredictable depending on how it plays out in practice and what the courts end up deciding.

If harris and desantis run it's a standing offer. i love desantis but agree on temper and chance of doing something stupid just to piss people off one too many times backfiring.
I’ll get in on that action. Love ya man, but Harris would curb stomp DeSantis in a national election unless the economy’s in the shitter.

I like DeSantis’ resume better than DeSantis. Baseball player. I was surprised he’s a Yale undergrad and Harvard law graduate, because he comes across as dumb as a brick when I’ve seen him on tv.

I’ll get in on that action. Love ya man, but Harris would curb stomp DeSantis in a national election unless the economy’s in the shitter.

I like DeSantis’ resume better than DeSantis. Baseball player. I was surprised he’s a Yale undergrad and Harvard law graduate, because he comes across as dumb as a brick when Uve seen him on tv.
Save this post brother. We will bet when the time comes. Will make the election more fun

As of Monday in Florida, a gathering of three or more people can be labeled a “riot”—and if they’re blocking the road and you feel frightened, it’s generally OK to run them over with a car. Historic monuments, however—Confederate and otherwise—receive special protection under the law.

So Governor DeSantis if I am a Dolphin fan and the Buccaneers win another Super Bowl can I drive into them? Thanks in advance in anticipation for next years season.
So are people now allowed to run over protesters (rioters) in front of abortion clinics?

I thought we were trending away from so many "new" laws especially ones that don't seem to have much purpose.

Sigh.

My pub friends, if you want to shake that racist/white supremacy party stigma you need to stop introducing racist/white supremist policy like this.

It's stuff like this that's is becoming your brand.

What and who does this policy play too? Scared, establishment, status quo whites that are terrified of BLM and civil rights protest.

I'd figure the freedom of speech and expression crowd would be worried about this but they must be so scared of BLM they don't realize how this policy could drastically change how people protest. If I understand it, if you're in a crowd and one dude does something dumb, the entire crowd is liable. Of course determined by the POV of who's in power.

Yeah there's nothing systemically wrong with that. Lol

It's so beyond constitutional that it will get smacked down faster than you can say DeSantis three times.

If he's your guy then great. He's proven he doesn't have the temperament, the intelligence and the personality to appeal to anyone other than a slice of his base.

Dumb policy like this just gives guys like me more fodder to use against him so thank you.
So we're clear, this is a racist law because it targets rioters...and we know that an anti riot law targets black people...because you know, black people riot?

I mean this with all due respect, but some of you guys who cry racism and systemic racism quite often, have this HUGE blind spot when it comes to your own biases. It is like the Virginia school district that is doing away with advanced classes in order to be more equitable. I think a bunch of you are right about systemic racism, but I don't believe you guys realize what that system is and who is truly running it.

I would suggest some self reflection on why you think an anti riot law is specifically targeted at minorities when A)look at Portland every night B)look at the majority of the people who were vandalising last summer and C)see after major sporting events.

So we're clear, this is a racist law because it targets rioters...and we know that an anti riot law targets black people...because you know, black people riot?

I mean this with all due respect, but some of you guys who cry racism and systemic racism quite often, have this HUGE blind spot when it comes to your own biases. It is like the Virginia school district that is doing away with advanced classes in order to be more equitable. I think a bunch of you are right about systemic racism, but I don't believe you guys realize what that system is and who is truly running it.

I would suggest some self reflection on why you think an anti riot law is specifically targeted at minorities when A)look at Portland every night B)look at the majority of the people who were vandalising last summer and C)see after major sporting events.
Wow, I had not read about Virginia Education Board's decision on eliminating advanced math courses. Truly shocking!!
I guess they are also discussing eliminating "Advanced Degrees" as well. In reading about this, It says that advanced degrees in Virginia break down as follows:
Asian- 79%
White- 63%
Hispanic- 44%
Black- 40%
Economically Disadvantaged- 35%

What I have never understood about the left is that in their desire to "equate", it is always pulling one side down, instead of lifting the other side up. 40% of blacks receiving advanced degrees is a great starting spot. Why can't we strive for 50%, or 60%, or 95%? Why do we take the entire student body to 0%? Makes no sense to me.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Reactions: F.Fletch

As of Monday in Florida, a gathering of three or more people can be labeled a “riot”—and if they’re blocking the road and you feel frightened, it’s generally OK to run them over with a car. Historic monuments, however—Confederate and otherwise—receive special protection under the law.

So Governor DeSantis if I am a Dolphin fan and the Buccaneers win another Super Bowl can I drive into them? Thanks in advance in anticipation for next years season.
Short Fox News version:

First Amendment BAD
Second Amendment GOOD

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
President Desantis
VP Caitlyn Jenner Rainbow MAGA HATS
Press Secretary Trump
If I have to pick a fight with one of those two, it won't be with the Decathlon Champion, even now. I'd take my chances with the Florida shrimp,

Florida is booming. You understand that right? Is this really news to you? Do you need me to link 500 articles citing people moving from calif and new york to florida to get away from lockdowns and taxes and business regs?

Oh my

I can envision a political ad showing the car that killed Heather Heyer driving into the crowd. Followed by a reference to the anti-riot law giving protection to Fields.

ADVERTISEMENT