ADVERTISEMENT

Florida Gulf Coast

Great opening game to the season.
I don't think the author of the article is right that FGCU will be an NCAA team this year. But I bet Chambers has them competitive in their league.

Reactions: kkott

We should be able to dominate inside.

We should be able to dominate inside.
About the same talent as UIndy? I ask because UIndy went 26-5 last year in D2. Id like to think UIndy would be better than the bottom 30-50 D1 teams.. FGCU higher than that though.

*Isiah Thompson on the team makes it a bad comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Great opening game to the season.
I don't think the author of the article is right that FGCU will be an NCAA team this year. But I bet Chambers has them competitive in their league.
Author acknowledged that ASUN is a 1 bid league. FGCU likely won't be an at large team, but they will compete to win their conf tournament, I'm sure.

Sounds like a good, solid, early season matchup.

About the same talent as UIndy? I ask because UIndy went 26-5 last year in D2. Id like to think UIndy would be better than the bottom 30-50 D1 teams.. FGCU higher than that though.
Doesn't seem like FGCU is a bottom 30-50 D1 team. So not sure on the UIndy comp. Maybe?

If UIndy is going to win upper 20's regular season games again...they're definitely as good, or better, than the bottom 30-50 D1 teams though.

Doesn't seem like FGCU is a bottom 30-50 D1 team. So not sure on the UIndy comp. Maybe?

If UIndy is going to win upper 20's regular season games again...they're definitely as good, or better, than the bottom 30-50 D1 teams though.
You could say the same for the top 15-20 NAIA D1 teams as well. Top 15-20 D2 and top 15-20 D2 teams all compare favorably and in a lot of cases the NAIA schools are better.

You could say the same for the top 15-20 NAIA D1 teams as well. Top 15-20 D2 and top 15-20 D2 teams all compare favorably and in a lot of cases the NAIA schools are better.
Yep...Top 20 ish teams in basically any college division are as good, or better than the bottom 10% of D1 teams. Decidedly so, in some cases.

LAst year FGCU finished 224 in the Sagarin ratings, this year UINdy is preseason #5 in D2

Yep...Top 20 ish teams in basically any college division are as good, or better than the bottom 10% of D1 teams. Decidedly so, in some cases.
Not sure I'd say that about D3. D3 doesn't offer athletic scholarships. NAIA D1 offers 11 scholarships while D2 offers 10.

LAst year FGCU finished 224 in the Sagarin ratings, this year UINdy is preseason #5 in D2
Uindy will be better than quite a few teams we play this year. They had athletic guys that went 110% for their coach. It wasn’t an accident that they were winning at half. They were trying way harder than Mack in the first half. That’s why it was so great to see the response, especially from Mack. He was a different player in the second half. His effort was night and day.

Not sure I'd say that about D3. D3 doesn't offer athletic scholarships. NAIA D1 offers 11 scholarships while D2 offers 10.
The top D3 teams are pretty darn good. They might not have quite as many teams that would be competitive with lower end D1 teams as D2/NAIA...but the "best" D3 teams are better than the worst D1 teams, without question.

The top D3 teams are pretty darn good. They might not have quite as many teams that would be competitive with lower end D1 teams as D2/NAIA...but the "best" D3 teams are better than the worst D1 teams, without question.
Christopher Newport who won the D3 national title last year would beat a team like IUPUI 3/4 times out of 10.

Then I don't believe you that the D3 natty would only win that many games against them.

But who knows I guess?
D3 players aren't on scholarship. There's a huge difference between a low level D1 player and a D3 player. I'll give you that IUPUI would struggle to consistently beat a team like UIndy (D2) or Indiana Wesleyan (NAIA) but there's a pretty big drop off between those two levels and D3, let alone D1.

D3 players aren't on scholarship. There's a huge difference between a low level D1 player and a D3 player. I'll give you that IUPUI would struggle to consistently beat a team like UIndy (D2) or Indiana Wesleyan (NAIA) but there's a pretty big drop off between those two levels and D3, let alone D1.
Unless a lot has changed in recent years...the best D3 teams are legit. And while they don't have athletic scholarships, they often have enough academic grant money and schollys, to offer just as many "full rides" as NAIA schools do.

Trine University has 15 players on their Varsity roster this year, and another 5-6 frosh that aren't on the Varsity roster. ALL of them are getting a lot of their schooling paid for through grants and academic scholly's.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Unless a lot has changed in recent years...the best D3 teams are legit. And while they don't have athletic scholarships, they often have enough academic grant money and schollys, to offer just as many "full rides" as NAIA schools do.
I don't think much has changed ever in that regard. I've sent several kids over the years to the varying levels of ball. There is a huge difference between D2/NAIA and D3. Teams like Wabash and DePauw would get clubbed by teams like UIndy and Marian, let alone IUPUI.

I don't think much has changed ever in that regard. I've sent several kids over the years to the varying levels of ball. There is a huge difference between D2/NAIA and D3. Teams like Wabash and DePauw would get clubbed by teams like UIndy and Marian, let alone IUPUI.
Wasn't true when I played. Manchester, Defiance, etc... were every bit as good as teams like Huntington and Bethel and Marian.

And I've seen Trine play, Hope College...watched some of the higher level national programs like Randolph Macon play...they'd all be very competitive with the good NAIA schools in our area. And Grace, Wesleyan, Marian, Bethel, Huntington, etc... still likely have the best NAIA conference in the country.

ALL of those teams are much higher level than when I played, for what its worth. MUCH more size and athleticism these days.

Wasn't true when I played. Manchester, Defiance, etc... were every bit as good as teams like Huntington and Bethel and Marian.

And I've seen Trine play, Hope College...watched some of the higher level national programs like Randolph Macon play...they'd all be very competitive with the good NAIA schools in our area. And Grace, Wesleyan, Marian, Bethel, Huntington, etc... still likely have the best NAIA conference in the country.

ALL of those teams are much higher level than when I played, for what its worth. MUCH more size and athleticism these days.
Regarding your last paragraph, all teams, now a daze..uh, nowadays regardless of conference, have better players in size and athleticism than days spent playing much younger. Evolution might work at a faster pace than first thought. Life is much more competitive than a few decades ago. Selective breeding is more commonplace in thought. The best advantaged really do carry on the majority of surviving genes, the genes on way to Na’vi of Pandora proportions. It’s still considered subtle, but by gosh and golly, it’s there. Kids get professional training in technology, if not sports…not sports, music and so on. Every stage of budding age is calculated, parents in watch of prodigies yet bloomed.

The playing field’s been leveled to that of worn cliché. Parity in college basketball came at a time of Bob’s perceived decline, the cusp of changing times in stink of times less stunk. Conferences of all reputations have some teams with ballers come-to-play, ballers who on any given lucky night, can hang tough long enough for upset wins…battles fought, to no one’s fault, in fight so well deserved.

It’s those early tourney, year-end “upsets” that reeled in a lot of haters onto Bob’s fishing boat. Those temporary turncoats should have cut him more slack for some of those losses, esp. with injured players, like Haston being one, affecting the outcome’s finality.

I’m still hoping Bob’s death will somehow, spiritually or otherwise, will this year’s team to great determination in effort, put forth always well done, resulting in wins that would make Coach Knight proud and with that dimpled smile, knowing anything can happen mostly anytime. I want it this time. I feel it, but is it enough? Yes, it is!

Think of it as one of those Bob Knight-proud, we-proud somehow mostly through osmosis, less than scientific sort of things never thought. We feed on the spiritual energy of each other, keeping quantum physics in mind where all things possible in time never ending always happen, but you knew that from an earlier time the second I first told you, almost as if I did. One of those possibilities just happened in a lot of different ways- How is that even possible?

Confucius suggests this team will gather many followers. We take it, his suggested take on mentioned things somehow known, as call for scattering the seeds in reckless abandon to the soiled beds of IU followers, sprouted for generations yet sown. Spread thy seeds of love, devotee of all good things IU sports, to the bounty of better fed bed wetters most becoming, the IU followers of tomorrow always coming.

Okay, now it’s time to play the game for real and end this spiel of shenanigans in wait of first meaningful game. The tune up is over. Show us what you got. Play this next one for real like it really feels real this time. Feel the real, deal with it, get it done, Hoosiers! Think we can!

Reactions: IUNorth
Regarding your last paragraph, all teams, now a daze..uh, nowadays regardless of conference, have better players in size and athleticism than days spent playing much younger. Evolution might work at a faster pace than first thought. Life is much more competitive than a few decades ago. Selective breeding is more commonplace in thought. The best advantaged really do carry on the majority of surviving genes, the genes on way to Na’vi of Pandora proportions. It’s still considered subtle, but by gosh and golly, it’s there. Kids get professional training in technology, if not sports…not sports, music and so on. Every stage of budding age is calculated, parents in watch of prodigies yet bloomed.

The playing field’s been leveled to that of worn cliché. Parity in college basketball came at a time of Bob’s perceived decline, the cusp of changing times in stink of times less stunk. Conferences of all reputations have some teams with ballers come-to-play, ballers who on any given lucky night, can hang tough long enough for upset wins…battles fought, to no one’s fault, in fight so well deserved.

It’s those early tourney, year-end “upsets” that reeled in a lot of haters onto Bob’s fishing boat. Those temporary turncoats should have cut him more slack for some of those losses, esp. with injured players, like Haston being one, affecting the outcome’s finality.

I’m still hoping Bob’s death will somehow, spiritually or otherwise, will this year’s team to great determination in effort, put forth always well done, resulting in wins that would make Coach Knight proud and with that dimpled smile, knowing anything can happen mostly anytime. I want it this time. I feel it, but is it enough? Yes, it is!

Think of it as one of those Bob Knight-proud, we-proud somehow mostly through osmosis, less than scientific sort of things never thought. We feed on the spiritual energy of each other, keeping quantum physics in mind where all things possible in time never ending always happen, but you knew that from an earlier time the second I first told you, almost as if I did. One of those possibilities just happened in a lot of different ways- How is that even possible?

Confucius suggests this team will gather many followers. We take it, his suggested take on mentioned things somehow known, as call for scattering the seeds in reckless abandon to the soiled beds of IU followers, sprouted for generations yet sown. Spread thy seeds of love, devotee of all good things IU sports, to the bounty of better fed bed wetters most becoming, the IU followers of tomorrow always coming.

Okay, now it’s time to play the game for real and end this spiel of shenanigans in wait of first meaningful game. The tune up is over. Show us what you got. Play this next one for real like it really feels real this time. Feel the real, deal with it, get it done, Hoosiers! Think we can!
Took me a while to put my brain in the right spot to be able to adequately read this. Enjoyed it once I did that.

Reactions: .Gerdis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT