ADVERTISEMENT

Florida DT commits

tenor.gif
Ok..., where did you find the tape of my dancing?

Last edited:
Big Time Commit!!!

Gentleman we are building ourselves a Big Ten Championship Defense!

I Like It!

I'm thinking we might be building the best IU DL since 1993.......so I tried to remember who the 4 starters were.......I know Charles B. was one DE, Hurvan M. one DT......who were the other 2 starters? Was Nolan Harrison on that line(don't think so)?

Sio was easily the best DT prospect at the 3-stripe camp at Kennesaw Georgia.....and it wasn’t close.

Analysts grading the 1,500 participants had this to say:

“America Samoa native Sio Nofoagatoto'a was arguably the top performing defensive tackle at the Kennesaw State 3 Stripe camp.
Nofoagatoto'a measured in at 6-foot-2 and a solid 332-pounds. The big defensive lineman carries his weight very well and is extremely strong. His power was on display during the drill work and one-on-one sessions. Perhaps the most impressive part of his game is just how quick and explosive he is off of the ball given his massive size.”

Sio was easily the best DT prospect at the 3-stripe camp at Kennesaw Georgia.....and it wasn’t close.

Analysts grading the 1,500 participants had this to say:

“America Samoa native Sio Nofoagatoto'a was arguably the top performing defensive tackle at the Kennesaw State 3 Stripe camp.
Nofoagatoto'a measured in at 6-foot-2 and a solid 332-pounds. The big defensive lineman carries his weight very well and is extremely strong. His power was on display during the drill work and one-on-one sessions. Perhaps the most impressive part of his game is just how quick and explosive he is off of the ball given his massive size.”

nice

Reactions: 76-1 and Sassy61
Sio and the other DL recruits are the type of players IU needs to hit on to move up in the B1G. Sio makes the 2017, 2018, and 2019 DL classes capable of being on of the top DL in the B1G. Coach Allen and Hagen along with other defensive coaches are quietly building a monster defense.

Sio and the other DL recruits are the type of players IU needs to hit on to move up in the B1G. Sio makes the 2017, 2018, and 2019 DL classes capable of being on of the top DL in the B1G. Coach Allen and Hagen along with other defensive coaches are quietly building a monster defense.

We know that OSU, PSU,and Michigan are always going to have great DL talent. More than we will ever accumulate.

What this gives us is a chance to do a Wisconsin/Iowa and become competitive with those DLs through very solid coaching and development and good attitudes.

I'm thinking we might be building the best IU DL since 1993.......so I tried to remember who the 4 starters were.......I know Charles B. was one DE, Hurvan M. one DT......who were the other 2 starters? Was Nolan Harrison on that line(don't think so)?

Was there a Whittington that signed with the Colts?

Was there a Whittington that signed with the Colts?

Yes.....so Charles B., Hurvin M., Bernard Whiittington, and ????. I always thought those 4 guys made up one of the most complete DL I've seen at IU.

I looked at Wiki for IU draft picks around that time and none of those guys were drafted, which surprised me. I think several had NFL careers.

PS---I looked at IU's ABT players historically. McCormick was 1st team ABT that year. IU's only 1st team ABT player. And the 4th DL was....Lamar Mills. I actually remember his recruiting. He was a big-time get out of the Detroit area. He took some time to come around but was a very good DE the last 1 1/2 years or so. So.....Charles Beauchamp., H. McCormick, B. Whittington, and Mills....probably none of them in quite the same class as a Van Waiters or a Wally O., but overall maybe the 4 best we've had?

Reactions: vesuvius13
We know that OSU, PSU,and Michigan are always going to have great DL talent. More than we will ever accumulate.
"Ever" is a long time but, yeah, it's unlikely that we're going to have exclusively 4* and 5* guys along the DL That said, we had one of the best offensive lines in the B1G in 2015 and there's no reason we can't do the same thing on defense, particularly with Allen at the helm. He and his staff can/will coach these 3* guys up. And 3* players this year + a bowl season in 2018 = more 4* players in 2019. We're building something here, guys.

Yes.....so Charles B., Hurvin M., Bernard Whiittington, and ????. I always thought those 4 guys made up one of the most complete DL I've seen at IU.

I looked at Wiki for IU draft picks around that time and none of those guys were drafted, which surprised me. I think several had NFL careers.

PS---I looked at IU's ABT players historically. McCormick was 1st team ABT that year. IU's only 1st team ABT player. And the 4th DL was....Lamar Mills. I actually remember his recruiting. He was a big-time get out of the Detroit area. He took some time to come around but was a very good DE the last 1 1/2 years or so. So.....Charles Beauchamp., H. McCormick, B. Whittington, and Mills....probably none of them in quite the same class as a Van Waiters or a Wally O., but overall maybe the 4 best we've had?

Basically, the DL during the Independence Bowl year in 1993 was
Hurvin McCormack, Lamar Mills, Charles Beauchamp, Bernard Whittington and John Hammerstein at NT.

Beauchamp was basically one of those hybrid DE /Husky types that would line up on the outside.

Thurman at LB was solid all year.
Lance Brown and Watts anchoring the secondary.

I think the one game that IU really came out flat was the Wisconsin game at home. We didn’t realize that Alvarez had as much building there as he did. We ended up losing that game because we stunk up the joint that day and allowed Fletcher and Moss to run wild.

Troy Drake was a DT during that time and he had serious size. I think he had a brief NFL career with the Eagles. Hammerstein, while tough as steel, was a very undersized DT that was simply too small. I never understood Mallory's recruitment in certain spots, Hammerstein being an example.

Troy Drake was a DT during that time and he had serious size. I think he had a brief NFL career with the Eagles. Hammerstein, while tough as steel, was a very undersized DT that was simply too small. I never understood Mallory's recruitment in certain spots, Hammerstein being an example.

Hammerstein was recruited as a result of his older brother who played at Michigan earlier. Mal went after John because of the pedigree. Obviously, Mike was a little bigger and became a consensus AA in 1985. It should be noted that John earned a medical degree from IU and is a successful spinal surgeon with his own practice.

Basically, the DL during the Independence Bowl year in 1993 was
Hurvin McCormack, Lamar Mills, Charles Beauchamp, Bernard Whittington and John Hammerstein at NT.

Beauchamp was basically one of those hybrid DE /Husky types that would line up on the outside.

Thurman at LB was solid all year.
Lance Brown and Watts anchoring the secondary.

I think the one game that IU really came out flat was the Wisconsin game at home. We didn’t realize that Alvarez had as much building there as he did. We ended up losing that game because we stunk up the joint that day and allowed Fletcher and Moss to run wild.

I was at the PSU game that year at PSU......Thomas Lewis had something like 190 yds receiving, including one 99 bomb. We still lost 38-31. That was a very good PSU team and we couldn't hang with them defensively in the 2nd half. They ran the ball on us and they also had a big-time WR (can't recall the name) who had a big day.

I was at the PSU game that year at PSU......Thomas Lewis had something like 190 yds receiving, including one 99 bomb. We still lost 38-31. That was a very good PSU team and we couldn't hang with them defensively in the 2nd half. They ran the ball on us and they also had a big-time WR (can't recall the name) who had a big day.

Their big time WR was Bobby Engram. He was a 3x All American and the Biletnikoff winner the next year. He was arguably the best WR in the Big Ten for at least 2 of his 4 years.
And, he has a son named Dean Engram who is class of 2019 and verbally committed to Wisconsin.

He’s a WR like his dad. Not tall. Only 5’10” but a solid 3-star kid.

Their big time WR was Bobby Engram. He was a 3x All American and the Biletnikoff winner the next year. He was arguably the best WR in the Big Ten for at least 2 of his 4 years.
And, he has a son named Dean Engram who is class of 2019 and verbally committed to Wisconsin.

He’s a WR like his dad. Not tall. Only 5’10” but a solid 3-star kid.

Yes......he was built a lot like Lewis, maybe a tad thicker. I think our secondary was the relative weakness of that defense, and he beat us pretty good.

BTW, if anyone ever goes to a PSU game there, you need to visit the site of the Johnstown(sp?) flood. It's pretty much on the way. They have a museum there that is very interesting. The story concerning that disaster is very interesting.

Bernard Whittington was a great OLB/DE for IU out of St Louis. In today's ratings would be a 4*. I do recall him playing for the Colts too. I was on a sports call-in show on signing day '89 and that was the guy Tom Lemming said was the best player in IU's class that yr.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT