ADVERTISEMENT

Flopping......

GeoFisher

Sophomore
Dec 11, 2004
I suppose this has been beat to death here, but I will tell you this. The flopping BS is ruining the game.

We had a guy from Ohio really "fake" catching an elbow. Much like during the Louisville game with UK. It wasn't called, which is good, but I think that if a player obviously flops or fakes catching an elbow, then that team should get a Technical and the PLAYER should be hit with a flagrant 1 type foul.

This crap is ruining the game, and a couple key technical calls would end it quickly.

Later,

Geo

D'Angelo Russell flopped in yesterday's game. Wish these kids...

understood how hard it is to get rid of a reputation once people take notice. I think that was D'Angelo's third or fourth flop in Big 10 play alone.

That flop was a half step below Chris Jones vs KY

Even rubbed the jaw and kept whining to TV Ted.

Like to see some TS called for it.

Kellen Dunham (Butler) is another one that.....

doesn't flop.... but every time he drives on a player and gets close to the defender, he rares back with his shoulders/upper body like he is being held up.... trying to get the call.

It happened several times in our game against them. Thank goodness the refs saw it for what it was and didn't call it.

I would like to see them start issuing a warning on first offense and then a technical foul after that. Of course they will have to go to the monitor each time. Get rid of that stupid flagrant 1 and 2 crap too.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I agree with you Nuts. Get rid of the F 1 & 2.

I watched the Purdue game, (scouting.. haha), and the ref's went to the monitor's to
look at an incident involving the 7'-2" Haas. The players were fighting for position under the
basket and Haas's arm/elbow came in contact with the defender face.

Of course the defender played it up.

So here is the issue... Your looking at a 7'-2" kid.... his arms/elbows in the normal playing situations
are going to be right at the face level of the defenders..... unless he was playing his own teammate Hammonds.

The refs have to take that into account.... unless Haas makes it obvious that he intended to do anything.

That's that game.... play on.

Did you feel that way when you watched Cody play?

He got more calls and fouled more big guys out by using flopping techniques it was almost comical. I especially liked his grunting, acting like he was axed everytime he drove to the bucket.

Didn't bother me then because it worked so....good for him.

Did you also forget the 3 man flop we did (and were instructed to do) at the Minnesota game? Sheehey faked the elbow to the face and at the same time Yogi and Oladipo pulled and fell to the ground the guy they were guarding.

You remember that controversy where it looked like Crean was instructing them to flop in the huddle...then three guys go down?

Just want to make sure that this board really is annoyed with the flopping in general and not only when opposing teams do it against us.

it's getting as bad as soccer.... should be a technical if reviewed...

and determined not enough contact made to justify reaction....

Re: Did you feel that way when you watched Cody play?

Cody was more of a salesman than a flopper.

TC absolutely told the kids to react to the elbows that were flying at Minny, I would have told them the same thing. Will overreacted and flopped but there was actual contact so there is a distinct difference.

Bottom line us that too much of it is going on but what we saw Saturday was simply hilarious.

Originally posted by Tscurlo:
I agree with you Nuts. Get rid of the F 1 & 2.

I watched the Purdue game, (scouting.. haha), and the ref's went to the monitor's to
look at an incident involving the 7'-2" Haas. The players were fighting for position under the
basket and Haas's arm/elbow came in contact with the defender face.

Of course the defender played it up.

So here is the issue... Your looking at a 7'-2" kid.... his arms/elbows in the normal playing situations
are going to be right at the face level of the defenders..... unless he was playing his own teammate Hammonds.

The refs have to take that into account.... unless Haas makes it obvious that he intended to do anything.

That's that game.... play on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen. Many Purdue fans have said the same thing and have feared he will get tossed from a game eventually unless he adjusts, whether he should have to or not. It is tough to watch, especially as a Purdue fan. At times it seems he gets punished for being blessed with his size.

The sad thing about that play was I have no idea how he was called for a foul at all. The Maryland player lowered his shoulder/elbow and clearly took a shot at Haas, which happened to be right in his crotch. Very frustrating.

Lol at Cody was more of a salesman.

Only a completely biased homer would try to defend it. Even worse you still try to whine about flopping by saying Cody was just a salesman.

FYI...a salesman is a flopper.

Myers Leonard, Derrick Nix (remember nut gate), Jered Sullinger and Mitch McGary would vehemently disagree (and laugh hysterically) .

Lastly the Minnesota flop was with around ten seconds left. Sheehey faked he got hit while on the other side of the court VO and Yogi both fell to the ground and pulled a guy with them.

All three were the most blatent flops I've ever seen. All three happened at once.

Originally posted by Courtsensetwo:

Will overreacted and flopped but there was actual contact so there is a distinct difference.
The way I remember it, the "actual contact" was Will leaning in and pressing his face against the Minny player's arm, then sliding off it to the floor... then using the PA system to ask if there was an optometrist in the house.

Regardless, the contact was initiated by WS.

These Academy Award acts should get technical fouls for delay of game, at the least.

No, the elbow came up and got Will, but will made a production out of it.

Will's head is below the guy's shoulder

Fair enough... though when "the elbow came up" it looks to me like it was after WS stuck his head down below the shoulder/near the mid-torso of the Minny player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhQjs00PYqo

1:33 and 1:41 seem to show it the best. Regardless, this example would help build the case that something should be done about the "fake flagrant" attempts. I can't believe the announcer is advocating it... sheeeesh!

Re: Will's head is below the guy's shoulder

I do not blame a team for doing it if they are going to allow you to get away with it.

I would prefer that they put a stop to it by issuing a warning and then a tech.
Time to clean things up.

LOL...watch Oladipo in the middle as he grabs a player and pulls him down.

Then they are even discussing Cody and 'nut gate' while the officials are looking at the monitor on Sheehey's flop while most people missed Oladipo's flop at the same time.

Bwaaa ha ha ha ha

going for a two-fer on that play

HA! I overlooked it, too... so busy watching Sheehey trying to do a Brokeback Mountain on the Minny guy's backside.

I like Sheehey. As another video shows, he was just following orders from Crean. Had to make him a little ill, while trying to pull that BS off.

Re: D'Angelo Russell flopped in yesterday's game. Wish these kids...

I noticed 3 or 4 times when Russell drove against pressure he would let his head go back, feigning some type of contact. He actually got one call in that situation.

Re: LOL...watch Oladipo in the middle as he grabs a player and pulls him down.

Haters gonna hate.

All you need now is to get Yogi into the game and show his flop as you described the three way flop.

We get it.

Congrats

Re: going for a two-fer on that play

Elbows had been a problem from Minny that game and You can see Cren tell them to react next time it happens.

Will obviously over reacted but the elbow was there.

At least the three fer claim has been reduced to a two fer.

Bottom line is we agree that it needs to be cleaned up, both the elbows and the flopping.

Re: going for a two-fer on that play

Yes, I know it happened plenty of times before, but the first time I remember... I mean REALLY remember... someone trying to get the Academy Award Winning foul call, was at the end of the 1984 Georgetown vs. Villanova game. With only a few seconds left and Villanova about to inbound the ball, a desperate Hoya flops backwards onto the floor pulling the Nova guy on top of him. IIRC, the ref just looked at the Georgetown guy with a "What? Did you really think I'd call that in your favor?" expression on his face.

I recall thinking that that kind of crap would never be rewarded. Fast forward three decades and look what we have on the court now... almost every game has an Oscar audition.

I thought it was the same play but it must have been later.

I remember Dakich calling him out on it.

I personally don't care about the flop either way...if a player can gain an advantage by over-exaggerating contact then more power to him. Cody was a master of it.

An absolute master.

He also got a lot of good players into foul trouble like Anthony Davis.

I just laugh when people complaining about it now because I don't remember them being upset when we did it all the time...especially Cody.

Classic case of homerism.

Geeze Louise it wasn't. They were told to flop to hopefully get a call

It's as obvious as the sun is bright yet as an IU fan you can't seem to admit that we were trying to get the possession back (we were losing).

It's as simplistic as 1 plus 1 equals 2.

First option was to get the steal, if that didn't work flop and try to get the call.

That's what Crean was talking about in the huddle.

He didn't, with 10 seconds left in the game, all of a sudden tell his players to be careful about flying elbows.

We flopped...a ton. We talked trash...a ton.

I'm sure you didn't have a problem when it was US doing the flopping and talking like I'm sure you have a problem when it comes back to us.

I'm sure you probably thought Vic's 'Know Us' thing he did after he dunked, directed at the opposite team was just harmless fun right?

Hilarious.

Re: Geeze Louise it wasn't. They were told to flop to hopefully get a call

Haters gonna hate.

Can't wait to Hera your version of what VOs know us meant.

Are you sure you are.not Heller?

Cody got the hell beat out of him in high school games. Being the biggest player on the floor it seemed referees expected him to take more. By his senior year he really started exaggerating any contact to try and get the foul calls.

This post was edited on 1/12 9:25 PM by stollcpa

He got the hell beat out of him in college as well. Teams learned quickly they could pound on him and largely get away with it.

You're right. I forgot how bad it was. Kinda understand high school being biggest guy on the floor by a lot but never understood why refs let guys beat him up in college.

Oh spare me the high school story about him and Quin Cook basically saying

'know that we are here' bs.

It's no different than Matthews shooting an imaginary bow and arrow at his defender after every made three for Portland...nor is it any different than Sheehey banging the side of his head with three fingers in front of his opponent after making a three.

What would you feel if Deshaun Thomas, after they beat us on senior night, went up to VO (or any IU player) after every play that he made doing the 'know us' sign back to him?

I'm pretty sure you would think that would be classless and were glad that we didn't have anyone on our team that behaved like that (even though they did right in front of your eyes).

The 'know us' was nothing more than trash talking or showing up the opponent.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Again I'm sure you didn't have a problem with it.

Re: Oh spare me the high school story about him and Quin Cook basically saying

Every time Russell drove the lane Saturday his upper body and head jerked like he was riding a bucking bull. That's just an observation. More power to him if it gets him foul calls. And no I don't think Will taunting the opposition was okay. Spare me a smart ass reply.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT