ADVERTISEMENT

First-year to Second-year comparisons

gulcherboy

Freshman
Dec 5, 2002
I see where AD Glass is referring to mysterious goals he has set for the Hoosiers in CAM's second season. And that got me to wondering: Historically, what has been the first-year-to-second-year performances for IU coaches?
I offer this only as an interesting bit of Hoosier Hysteria trivia:

The first-year-to-second-year results for IU coaches going back nearly a century:
Everette Dean: First year 12-5, Second year 12-5.
Branch McCracken: First year 17-3, Second year 20-3 national champions.
Harry Good: First year 7-15, Second year 10-11.
Lou Watson: First year 8-16, Second year 18-8 Big 10 champions.
Bob Knight: First year 17-8, second year 22-6 Final Four
Mike Davis: First year 21-12, second year 25-12 Final Four
Tom Crean: First year 6-25, second year 10-21.

I omitted Kelvin Sampson because he, of course, did not have a complete second season.

Personally, I hope CAM's second season is as magical as Brand McCracken's second season!

I see where AD Glass is referring to mysterious goals he has set for the Hoosiers in CAM's second season. And that got me to wondering: Historically, what has been the first-year-to-second-year performances for IU coaches?

The first-year-to-second-year results for IU coaches going back nearly a century:

I omitted Kelvin Sampson because he, of course, did not have a complete second season.

Personally, I hope CAM's second season is as magical as Brand McCracken's second season!
I hope it's s good as Branch McCracken's 2d season. Thank you for doing this research.

Reactions: gulcherboy
“I really don’t like to set preset expectations,” Glass said. “I really think that is unfair in a lot of ways. You have to see how the season goes.”

Is he for real? An AD with no expectations? You would think making the tournament would be the bare minimum.

“I really don’t like to set preset expectations,” Glass said. “I really think that is unfair in a lot of ways. You have to see how the season goes.”

Is he for real? An AD with no expectations? You would think making the tournament would be the bare minimum.
Link?

I think he was saying that he remains a bit 'flexible' in pre-season expectations because one can not foresee unexpected developments that may impact achieving those expectations.

Reactions: T.M.P.

Do you believe Archie is under the impression that there are no expectations?

You omit Calvin Samscum because of what he did to our precious program.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports...ve-for-hoosier-basketball-this-coming-season/
I think he was saying that he remains a bit 'flexible' in pre-season expectations because one can not foresee unexpected developments that may impact achieving those expectations.
If he isn't confident enough to say "I expect to make the tourney" as a minimum, then that is a head scratcher.
Do you believe Archie is under the impression that there are no expectations?
No, not at all. But if the AD has no expectations in year two, is it time to question FG?

I'm wondering if there is a difference between his personal and private expectations and those he shares with the fan base and larger public?

Reactions: ORG

You said this:

Guess you missed this part right before the quote you referenced, huh?

"With the influx of that talent, as well as the maturing of the returning players, as well as the health of Davis, there are a lot of reasons in which Glass should feel positive about the Hoosiers moving into next season. And he is. However, he isn’t willing to set specific goals for Miller to attain because there are factors (such as Davis’ injury last year) that can negatively impact a season."

and

"I think that it is a little bit of a cop-out for administrators to set litmus tests or define success in advance. But having said all of that, I’m optimistic that we will move toward the goals that I have for men’s basketball."

"goals that I have for men’s basketball" - you remember those, right? He stated them when he held onto Crean in 2015 and again when he fired him two years later.

"My goals for this program are to perennially contend for and to win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament and win our next national championship," Glass said. "Be elite, if you will. "

“The expectations for Indiana University basketball are to perennially contend for and win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep into the NCAA tournament, and win our next national championship — and more after that.”

Ok, Ordfan (or Kern Country, IUDanaPoint, or the 1400 other usernames you've gone by), you ever find that link that details all the wrongdoing by John Calipari at UMASS? You proved you could provide a link by supplying this one, and you claimed Calipari's wrongdoing (you know, stuff HE HIMSELF did wrong and was slapped for by the NCAA) was well-documented. So, where's the link to that?

Reactions: minneman and ORG
You omit Calvin Samscum because of what he did to our precious program.
*Kelvin

You're so typical .. in a very special way.

lmao.... it was even spelled correctly in the post you quoted.

Bless your little heart.... lol

Last edited:
Well, certainly. And that is why he did not have a complete second season.
I understood what you were saying. I would just omit him because of what he did regardless whether or not he completed his second season. I call him Calvin Samscum because he has never apologized to the good fans of IU for what he did. He doesn't deserve for his name to be spoken.

I understood what you were saying. I would just omit him because of what he did regardless whether or not he completed his second season. I call him Calvin Samscum because he has never apologized to the good fans of IU for what he did. He doesn't deserve for his name to be spoken.
Sure you do ... lol...

So FOS

Last edited:
I'm wondering if there is a difference between his personal and private expectations and those he shares with the fan base and larger public?
I don't know, could be. However, your opening sentence in this thread stated a mysterious goal for this season which hasn't been provided. I went and found some quotes of his, saying he has none. Somebody isn't telling the truth. Not saying you aren't, but I dug up something on the topic you started. I find it quite odd the AD has no expectations in year two.

You said this:

Guess you missed this part right before the quote you referenced, huh?

"With the influx of that talent, as well as the maturing of the returning players, as well as the health of Davis, there are a lot of reasons in which Glass should feel positive about the Hoosiers moving into next season. And he is. However, he isn’t willing to set specific goals for Miller to attain because there are factors (such as Davis’ injury last year) that can negatively impact a season."

and

"I think that it is a little bit of a cop-out for administrators to set litmus tests or define success in advance. But having said all of that, I’m optimistic that we will move toward the goals that I have for men’s basketball."

"goals that I have for men’s basketball" - you remember those, right? He stated them when he held onto Crean in 2015 and again when he fired him two years later.

"My goals for this program are to perennially contend for and to win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep in the NCAA tournament and win our next national championship," Glass said. "Be elite, if you will. "

“The expectations for Indiana University basketball are to perennially contend for and win multiple Big Ten championships, regularly go deep into the NCAA tournament, and win our next national championship — and more after that.”

Ok, Ordfan (or Kern Country, IUDanaPoint, or the 1400 other usernames you've gone by), you ever find that link that details all the wrongdoing by John Calipari at UMASS? You proved you could provide a link by supplying this one, and you claimed Calipari's wrongdoing (you know, stuff HE HIMSELF did wrong and was slapped for by the NCAA) was well-documented. So, where's the link to that?
I didn't miss anything. Those are long term goals. The topic in this thread is for next season. I guess you need to reread this thread from the start.

Never been any of those usernames. Don't know who they are/were nor ever seen them post before.

You have me mixed up with someone else on the Calipari topic. Did you hit your head on something?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT