ADVERTISEMENT

first time posting

Oct 27, 2018
so this is my first time posting. i will introduce myself. I went to A&M, graduated in '99. I married my wife who is an IU grad of '05. My wife is not a huge sports fan, but I took it upon myself to root for IU in football and basketball. So when they show them here in Dallas, i try to watch them as much as I can.

I have to say IU like recent A&M teams especially the 2000s, are the definition of insanity. You watch the same team expecting different results. I can not tell you how many times since 2012 when I started following them how close they are to upsetting teams, and then losing in the IU fashion. I can count at least three times this year alone. Luckily for A&M, I think they have finally made a choice in hiring a coach that will head us in the right direction.

My observations, and this is not to start an argument, but the coaching lost that game last night. I have observed IU all year, and know that the talent is just not there, but IU does play hard, and have been very competitive. Though, last night up into the fourth quarter it did appear the players had given up. When they created turnovers you could see the momentum change, and you could see the IU players believe they could win, and started playing hard.

Several decisions by the coaching staff lost this game. One, you are down 22 points, and you score a td. You never go for two points off the bat. Why, because if you don't make it, you will be chasing the points for the rest of the game. Second mistake, IU just made it 31-23, and they intercept the first pass in Minn. drive. IU has the ball with ten minutes to go down 8 points. IU runs the ball and it is 2 and 9. The they proceed to throw a low percentage pass on second down, when Minn. was literally giving you the middle of the field. Either run the ball or take a high percentage pass for maybe 5-7 yards, The key is you have 3rd and short, and if needed you have the option to go for it on fourth, and you save the option to take the points with fg. Nope, instead lets throw a low percentage pass on 2nd down, now it is 3rd and 9, and forces IU to throw down the field for some unknown reason, resulting in a interception. Erasing what could have been td or at least a fg, getting closer to Minn.

As you know IU scores again, and gets the two point conversion, and then stops Minn. Awesome, game is tied, with three minutes to go. And the coaching staff calls three running plays, which is fine if you are trying to run the game clock down. But you run the ball, and change to an up tempo offense, taking off about one minute of game clock. When it was third and 2, everyone could obviously tell they were going to run, and so did Minn. My question is, if you are going to run on 3rd and 2, why not slow the play down chewing up some clock. Also, if you are going to run, its 3rd and 2, why run in shot gun. You need six feet to get a first down, but lets hand it off to the running back who is five yards behind first down. Also, where are the tight ends, and full backs? The resulting play, allows the safety to blitz, and there is no one to cover him, because the line is outnumbered resulting in a stop, and it took off about a minute off the clock.

My other observation. It appears the offense is a spread. not my ideal choice of offense, because you only have five lineman, with no tight end or fullback. But if you are going to run the spread, why are the OL so close together. The QB is working in a pocket that is about five yards wide, when it crashes like it did on the very last drive, the qb has no room to maneuver. You either need to spread the OL or add a TE in order to make the angles wider for the DE. It forces their DEs maneuver wider in order to get to the QB, this allows more time for the WR to run their routes, and give the qb an extra second to read the routes and see who is open.

I dont know if Allen is the right coach, but do believe you need to give him at least a few more years. It appears the recruiting is getting better. But his decision making in some games drives me insane. He literally will make the offense one dimensional. He rarely mixes up the play calling on drives. Its either all passing on a drive, or all runs. I really do miss Kevin Wilsons offense, at least there was a tight end used, and two dimensional.

As far as defense, I think the schemes are ok, but the players are just too slow and small to compete at a high level for the majority of the game. They do play hard, but the talent is just not there. the offense really needs to try an hold on to the ball as long as they can, run methodical drives by mixing it up with the run and pass, that way the defense does not tire out by the end of the game.

Anyway, I will continue to watch IU football. I never would have thought I would say that being from Texas. i have really enjoyed gaining a second team, and rooting for you all. Hopefully, the coaching staff will learn from this, and will make the proper changes.

Seems an excellent analysis...coaching really has been exposed. IU doesn't fire coaches quickly...Allen will get at least one more year. I dont have much faith but what are you going to do? It's my alma mater and I am stuck...vbg. But after what I have seen up until now, I don't have much faith next year will be much better or a bowl year. We have a serious talent problem that one recruiting class cant fix...sorry to say...look like a bad end coming for Allen unless he can pull a rabbit out of his hat...imo

Last edited:
The whole talent thing is overplayed, it really is. No, IU doesn't have a bunch of 4* talent, BUT they've got enough talent to yearly win 6 games and a bowl.

What we've annually seen happen, is lousy coaching that routinely results in key losses which in turn knock Indiana out of a bowl.

Let's look...Minnesota last night, Purdue and Maryland last year, Minnesota in 2013, and those are a small sampling of a bigger problem.

Jeff Brohm doesn't complain about his subpar roster, he coaches to its strengths and actually wins games.

The whole talent thing is overplayed, it really is. No, IU doesn't have a bunch of 4* talent, BUT they've got enough talent to yearly win 6 games and a bowl.

What we've annually seen happen, is lousy coaching that routinely results in key losses which in turn knock Indiana out of a bowl.

Let's look...Minnesota last night, Purdue and Maryland last year, Minnesota in 2013, and those are a small sampling of a bigger problem.

Jeff Brohm doesn't complain about his subpar roster, he coaches to its strengths and actually wins games.
That's only true to a point as I have never seen a coach take a snap...ever....vbg. Its the talent poorly coached for now. It takes both...period.

That's only true to a point as I have never seen a coach take a snap...ever....vbg. Its the talent poorly coached for now. It takes both...period.
It does take talent and good coaching, I just think that the whole "we don't have talent" is overplayed.

Our recruiting is comparable to many teams who get far more bang for their buck.

I'll make an addendum here...talent is an issue. But attitude may be as large a problem as anything. I don't know but the evidence is not good. Why did that comeback happen last night? A couple good things happen in a row and suddenly they are world beaters. They tie the game and like we have seen for...well...decades they relax and a bad play immediately follows. I don't need my degree in sociology to recognize mental issues. In fact, those issues seem to be genetic if you will, passed on from one generation of players to the next in an unbroken double helix of disappointment and fear of losing. It may not be something that responds to just a quick inoculation but always returns under the right stimuli.

Allen seemed to bring a new blood line into the mix at defense, changing our fortunes overnight. But that again hints at attitude rather than talent in the Wilson era too.

If any of this is true, the resulting solution is not a pretty one. It means that new dna must be brought into the mix then give it a few player generations to get those new characteristics instilled as dominate traits.

That could be a long time and I am not a young man. This may be it for this world...sniff sniff...oh the humanity!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli and td75
so this is my first time posting. i will introduce myself. I went to A&M, graduated in '99. I married my wife who is an IU grad of '05. My wife is not a huge sports fan, but I took it upon myself to root for IU in football and basketball. So when they show them here in Dallas, i try to watch them as much as I can.

I have to say IU like recent A&M teams especially the 2000s, are the definition of insanity. You watch the same team expecting different results. I can not tell you how many times since 2012 when I started following them how close they are to upsetting teams, and then losing in the IU fashion. I can count at least three times this year alone. Luckily for A&M, I think they have finally made a choice in hiring a coach that will head us in the right direction.

My observations, and this is not to start an argument, but the coaching lost that game last night. I have observed IU all year, and know that the talent is just not there, but IU does play hard, and have been very competitive. Though, last night up into the fourth quarter it did appear the players had given up. When they created turnovers you could see the momentum change, and you could see the IU players believe they could win, and started playing hard.

Several decisions by the coaching staff lost this game. One, you are down 22 points, and you score a td. You never go for two points off the bat. Why, because if you don't make it, you will be chasing the points for the rest of the game. Second mistake, IU just made it 31-23, and they intercept the first pass in Minn. drive. IU has the ball with ten minutes to go down 8 points. IU runs the ball and it is 2 and 9. The they proceed to throw a low percentage pass on second down, when Minn. was literally giving you the middle of the field. Either run the ball or take a high percentage pass for maybe 5-7 yards, The key is you have 3rd and short, and if needed you have the option to go for it on fourth, and you save the option to take the points with fg. Nope, instead lets throw a low percentage pass on 2nd down, now it is 3rd and 9, and forces IU to throw down the field for some unknown reason, resulting in a interception. Erasing what could have been td or at least a fg, getting closer to Minn.

As you know IU scores again, and gets the two point conversion, and then stops Minn. Awesome, game is tied, with three minutes to go. And the coaching staff calls three running plays, which is fine if you are trying to run the game clock down. But you run the ball, and change to an up tempo offense, taking off about one minute of game clock. When it was third and 2, everyone could obviously tell they were going to run, and so did Minn. My question is, if you are going to run on 3rd and 2, why not slow the play down chewing up some clock. Also, if you are going to run, its 3rd and 2, why run in shot gun. You need six feet to get a first down, but lets hand it off to the running back who is five yards behind first down. Also, where are the tight ends, and full backs? The resulting play, allows the safety to blitz, and there is no one to cover him, because the line is outnumbered resulting in a stop, and it took off about a minute off the clock.

My other observation. It appears the offense is a spread. not my ideal choice of offense, because you only have five lineman, with no tight end or fullback. But if you are going to run the spread, why are the OL so close together. The QB is working in a pocket that is about five yards wide, when it crashes like it did on the very last drive, the qb has no room to maneuver. You either need to spread the OL or add a TE in order to make the angles wider for the DE. It forces their DEs maneuver wider in order to get to the QB, this allows more time for the WR to run their routes, and give the qb an extra second to read the routes and see who is open.

I dont know if Allen is the right coach, but do believe you need to give him at least a few more years. It appears the recruiting is getting better. But his decision making in some games drives me insane. He literally will make the offense one dimensional. He rarely mixes up the play calling on drives. Its either all passing on a drive, or all runs. I really do miss Kevin Wilsons offense, at least there was a tight end used, and two dimensional.

As far as defense, I think the schemes are ok, but the players are just too slow and small to compete at a high level for the majority of the game. They do play hard, but the talent is just not there. the offense really needs to try an hold on to the ball as long as they can, run methodical drives by mixing it up with the run and pass, that way the defense does not tire out by the end of the game.

Anyway, I will continue to watch IU football. I never would have thought I would say that being from Texas. i have really enjoyed gaining a second team, and rooting for you all. Hopefully, the coaching staff will learn from this, and will make the proper changes.
Can you give us your honest opinion of what some of your A&M fans and alumni would do and say if a proper coaching search wasn't done in either football or basketball? Asking for a few friends around here!

Reactions: td75

Apparently you need to see Purdue blogs where it talks about Brohm blaming quarterback for loss.

ADVERTISEMENT