ADVERTISEMENT

Fireworks Thread

PhishPhan682

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
go ahead and out yourself if you plan on blowing up loud fireworks all weekend and into next week.

I'll grab my new buddy sam the soccer and we will pray together that you blow off your hands.

go ahead and out yourself if you plan on blowing up loud fireworks all weekend and into next week.

I'll grab my new buddy sam the soccer and we will pray together that you blow off your hands.

I have never bought any big fireworks ever, but I did think about it this year as I'm doing a small get together to celebrate my daughter's graduation from UNCC. They got robbed of the fun of a real graduation, so I thought about doing something to punch it up. Decided against it, but haven't totally ruled it out. Living in SC now, I almost feel like I have to buy some big ridiculous fireworks at some point. I pass by about 4 of them crossing the state line NC to SC every afternoon on the way home from work, so if they mood strikes I'll get them and report back Monday. Even if I'm typing 1 handed!

Reactions: IUAPEX and All4You
I have never bought any big fireworks ever, but I did think about it this year as I'm doing a small get together to celebrate my daughter's graduation from UNCC. They got robbed of the fun of a real graduation, so I thought about doing something to punch it up. Decided against it, but haven't totally ruled it out. Living in SC now, I almost feel like I have to buy some big ridiculous fireworks at some point. I pass by about 4 of them crossing the state line NC to SC every afternoon on the way home from work, so if they mood strikes I'll get them and report back Monday. Even if I'm typing 1 handed!
do you have pets? do your neighbors have pets?

I will never understand the hillbilly fascination with making loud noises but there's a lot I don't get about the hillbilly philosophy.

I will never understand the hillbilly fascination with making loud noises but there's a lot I don't get about the hillbilly philosophy.
That reminds me that if you are about to do something stupid with fireworks you owe a duty to warn those around you of the potential danger. Please remember to use the Redneck Warning Phrase, "Hey Y'all watch this".

Reactions: kkott and T.M.P.
That reminds me that if you are about to do something stupid with fireworks you owe a duty to warn those around you of the potential danger. Please remember to use the Redneck Warning Phrase, "Hey Y'all watch this".

My standard line is "I'm not a redneck, but I speak it!' And having been down here for 30 years now, I can y'all all day long. My IN friends freaked the first time I said that.

Reactions: All4You

The other night my new son in law took us outside for sparklers and a couple of really cool fireworks. It was a lot of fun especially when my 4 yr old grandson got excited. It was all for him.

I agree, but I also see a big difference in real fireworks and ones that just make loud noises, like firecrackers, etc... I didn't get the blow shit up gene, but I love good fireworks shows. Some of these you can buy, are real fireworks if you drop some bucks. I'd much prefer the pros do it, but I think that's going to be in short supply this year.

Living in SC, I get a ton of exposure to rednecks and their super huge monster trucks. My 'hood is a popular one to visit because it's on the river and seems like every other vehicle is monster truck or one of the souped up little rice racers, and they're all loud. I don't get that... let me make my vehicle as loud and annoying as possible!" But, then, there's lots about rednecks I don't get.

Back in the day in the Region hood, they'd just shoot firearms in their backyard.
Coming from Wisconsin, I always thought that a "Shot and a Beer Bar" was one in which the Regulars ordered a Shot of their favorite Booze with a glass of draft Beer as a Chaser. In the Region. I learned that a "Shot and a Beer Bar" was one in which one of the Customers was Shot before you finished your Second Beer.

Reactions: kkott

I absolutely hate fireworks! It is legal, but it is very inconsiderate to continue setting off fireworks after 10:30 at night. I take vacation days around the fourth of July every year so I can get some rest because inconsiderate neighbors continue setting off fireworks until midnight or later.

We tee off at 7:18 a.m. on both July 4th and July 6th (my birthday). I'll probably be worn out both days because of the loud fireworks in our neighborhood.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Coming from Wisconsin, I always thought that a "Shot and a Beer Bar" was one in which the Regulars ordered a Shot of their favorite Booze with a glass of draft Beer as a Chaser. In the Region. I learned that a "Shot and a Beer Bar" was one in which one of the Customers was Shot before you finished your Second Beer.
You were never in the Region. Stop with this stoopid type casting based on things you believe, that have no foundation in fact.

TIA

Reactions: sluggo69

Nothing was like the 4th of July parties in the 70's with a bunch of kids running around the backyard with sparklers. What were our parents thinking?

How about the snakes that shot out flame and left a black spot on the patio that lasted all summer? I never thought they were much fun. Shooting bottle rockets at each other was kind of fun.

Fast forward to being a parent. I bought some assorted fireworks for the kids to watch and they looked bored. Last time I wasted money on that crap.

People have been shooting off fireworks for over a week. I really don't understand the people shooting them off in daylight. There will be a lot more fireworks going off after the 4th when they go on sale

Wow. Didn’t realize we were so close. I live in Georgia in the midst of all these “hillbillies and rednecks”. The vast majority are pretty good people. And believe it or not most don’t actually get off on blowing things up

Wow. Didn’t realize we were so close. I live in Georgia in the midst of all these “hillbillies and rednecks”. The vast majority are pretty good people. And believe it or not most don’t actually get off on blowing things up
I don't care if you are black, white, yellow, purple, hillbilly, redneck, gay, straight or full blown derp....

if you get off on blowing things up I hope you blow off your collective hands

Reactions: T.M.P.
I absolutely hate fireworks! It is legal, but it is very inconsiderate to continue setting off fireworks after 10:30 at night. I take vacation days around the fourth of July every year so I can get some rest because inconsiderate neighbors continue setting off fireworks until midnight or later.

We tee off at 7:18 a.m. on both July 4th and July 6th (my birthday). I'll probably be worn out both days because of the loud fireworks in our neighborhood.
And if you have a crappy score, you have an excuse, eh?;)

Yes, and people that shoot off fireworks are well known perfume and fragrance wearers too!

Yes, and people that shoot off fireworks are well known perfume and fragrance wearers too!
If McNutt handled it the true redneck way he would take his AR15 to the neighbor’s house & “ask” them to quit waking him up

You were never in the Region. Stop with this stoopid type casting based on things you believe, that have no foundation in fact.

TIA
This is exactly what is wrong with the Country today. Everyone is offended by anything and nobody can poke a little fun at themselves or background. Yes, what I wrote is a Stereotype and it pokes fun at something.
I"m from Wisconsin originally. If you wrote that Everyone in Wisconsin stands next to a Grill with a Beer Brat Tub on top with a Beer in one hand and a Bratwurst on a bun in the other while wearing their Cheesehead Hats and playing loud Polka Music, I would find it funny. An over the top Stereotype, but something that doesn't offend me.

By the Way, there are actually people around who aren't holding a Beer and Brat. They are the ones throwing Beanbags playing a game of Cornhole. And last a Brat Beer Bath is not a hot tub we fill with Beer onions peppers and Bratwurst that we sit in before serving the Brats.

Lighten up a little and find some humor in life.

Yeah, I've always secretly feared blowing my hand off in a fireworks accident, so I thought it important to practice, just in case!
You do have to be careful. I know a young man in Northern Indiana who lost a couple of fingers a few years ago when he was lighting fireworks. He was a working guy too. He worked with his hands and am not sure how well he is doing.

I have a cousin who lives around Charlotte. It got me to thinking that IU fans in NC should find a way to get together in different regions of the state.

We've got it covered and get together regularly for games with pitch ins and everyone has a swell time. We just don't like your cousin.

Actually, we have great fans down here. Billy Packer's son used to host a sports radio show here when we played a few games at UNCC and Wake. He used to say "Go out and see how real bball fans travel and show up to support their team!". We don't have the #s UK does, but beyond that, I'd say we're second to none and really strong considering the now decades of mediocrity we've had to live with. It's a good and vibrant community. I've seen IU games at UNCC (twice), Wake, UNC, NC St and Cameron (twice!) and we always have good fan support.

Last edited:
We've got it covered and get together regularly for games with pitch ins and everyone has a swell time. We just don't like your cousin.

Actually, we have great fans down here. Billy Packer's son used to host a sports radio show here when we played a few games at UNCC and Wake. He used to say "Go out and see how real bball fans travel and show up!". We don't have the #s UK does, but beyond that, I'd say we're second to none and really strong considering the now decades of mediocrity we've had to live with. It's a good and vibrant community. I've seen IU games at UNCC (twice), Wake, UNC, NC St and Cameron (tTwice!) and we always have good fan support.
Went to Cameron for the challenge in 2015 and was blown away by the IU support there

Reactions: All4You and kkott

Actually, we have great fans down here. Billy Packer's son used to host a sports radio show here when we played a few games at UNCC and Wake. He used to say "Go out and see how real bball fans travel and show up!". We don't have the #s UK does, but beyond that, I'd say we're second to none and really strong considering the now decades of mediocrity we've had to live with. It's a good and vibrant community. I've seen IU games at UNCC (twice), Wake, UNC, NC St and Cameron (tTwice!) and we always have good fan support.
I was surprised at how many IU fans were at Penn State last year. I'm a lot more talkative than my wife so I was the one who talked to other fans and was surprised that many of them were not Indiana transplants like we were. They were just fans of the team. My cousin would be a big hit at your gatherings. You should rethink your policy. He is a retired airline pilot who had to retire due to injury. His father was an IU grad at the Geology school. I went to a game with him once right after we found out Calvin Samscum cheated. It was against Wisconsin when that center of theirs hit a last second 3. One cool thing was the seats we had. They were from my uncle's teacher who retired in Florida and gave his favorite student his seats. Another cool thing was parking right up near the door. I didn't have to walk a bunch like those other saps. lol

Reactions: All4You
I was surprised at how many IU fans were at Penn State last year. I'm a lot more talkative than my wife so I was the one who talked to other fans and was surprised that many of them were not Indiana transplants like we were. They were just fans of the team. My cousin would be a big hit at your gatherings. You should rethink your policy. He is a retired airline pilot who had to retire due to injury. His father was an IU grad at the Geology school. I went to a game with him once right after we found out Calvin Samscum cheated. It was against Wisconsin when that center of theirs hit a last second 3. One cool thing was the seats we had. They were from my uncle's teacher who retired in Florida and gave his favorite student his seats. Another cool thing was parking right up near the door. I didn't have to walk a bunch like those other saps. lol
Cool story, bro.............

*eyeroll*

Reactions: sluggo69

Actually, we have great fans down here. Billy Packer's son used to host a sports radio show here when we played a few games at UNCC and Wake. He used to say "Go out and see how real bball fans travel and show up!". We don't have the #s UK does, but beyond that, I'd say we're second to none and really strong considering the now decades of mediocrity we've had to live with. It's a good and vibrant community. I've seen IU games at UNCC (twice), Wake, UNC, NC St and Cameron (twice!) and we always have good fan support.

Been at all those places for IU games as well ... some good ones and some real face palms.

Been at all those places for IU games as well ... some good ones and some real face palms.

I was trying to remember if I've been to Wake once or twice. Don't think I've seen us win there, nor at Cameron. The last one was a horrendous effort and loss, but they were also really good. Still, the seminal moment for me was late in the second half when their fans were chanting "worse than Elon" who they'd also beaten recently. Not a good cheer to hear when you've traveled a ways to watch your team.

The other stupid thing related to that issue is that daylight savings time keeps it artificially bright outside until 10-10:30 p.m. Fireworks can't really start before then. So, your inconsiderate redneck neighbors are permitted to destroy even more of your sleep.

Daylight savings time in Indiana was promoted by Purdue Mitch on dubious grounds of "public safety," but when he demanded that Indiana be on the same daylight savings time as Washington, D.C., rather than Chicago, all sentient life forms knew he was primarily trying to promote himself for some kind of position in Washington (airline connections were mentioned at the time, as though scheduling computers were incapable of converting Indiana time to something else). Indiana still has several different time zones for different areas in the state, so Purdue Mitch's rationale of standardizing time in Indiana was obviously false.

Instead of going to Washington, My Bitch Mitch went to West Lafayette. Mitch is now 71. I hope he never leaves W.Lafayette. Purdue should create a position of Bitch Emeritus just for him.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson

THoughts and Prayers.

This is exactly what is wrong with the Country today. Everyone is offended by anything and nobody can poke a little fun at themselves or background. Yes, what I wrote is a Stereotype and it pokes fun at something.
I"m from Wisconsin originally. If you wrote that Everyone in Wisconsin stands next to a Grill with a Beer Brat Tub on top with a Beer in one hand and a Bratwurst on a bun in the other while wearing their Cheesehead Hats and playing loud Polka Music, I would find it funny. An over the top Stereotype, but something that doesn't offend me.

By the Way, there are actually people around who aren't holding a Beer and Brat. They are the ones throwing Beanbags playing a game of Cornhole. And last a Brat Beer Bath is not a hot tub we fill with Beer onions peppers and Bratwurst that we sit in before serving the Brats.

Lighten up a little and find some humor in life.

Ok cool, but hardly the same as the stereotype that The Region has for violence.

Ummmmm. As someone who lives in an area that has the reputation of AR 15 wielding, toothless, moonshine swigging, confederate worshipping rednecks, I think you can survive living with a reputation of living in a violent area. Grow a pair

Actually, we have great fans down here. Billy Packer's son used to host a sports radio show here when we played a few games at UNCC and Wake. He used to say "Go out and see how real bball fans travel and show up to support their team!". We don't have the #s UK does, but beyond that, I'd say we're second to none and really strong considering the now decades of mediocrity we've had to live with. It's a good and vibrant community. I've seen IU games at UNCC (twice), Wake, UNC, NC St and Cameron (twice!) and we always have good fan support.
You live in an awesome area. I would love to live there as well. Perfect balance between weather extremes, and enough variety of college allegiance options to make things interesting. Lots going on there. I used to fly into Winston-Salem on the company plane for day-meetings then back out the same day when I worked for Cook. Always had a good time and ate some good Carolina BBQ.

Reactions: kkott and IUAPEX
ADVERTISEMENT