ADVERTISEMENT

Firearm for personal protection

If someone is close & already pointing a gun at you odds are you going for a holstered gun is at best a risky choice as it will cause them to respond. They can pull the trigger and hit you w/o aiming before you clear leather (or use pepper). The better option may be to cooperate and hope for the best or run and pray they haven't practiced much. If they do fire and miss or wound you then a gun is absolutely the better option.

If someone is close & already pointing a gun at you odds are you going for a holstered gun is at best a risky choice as it will cause them to respond. They can pull the trigger and hit you w/o aiming before you clear leather (or use pepper). The better option may be to cooperate and hope for the best or run and pray they haven't practiced much. If they do fire and miss or wound you then a gun is absolutely the better option.

I can't recall the actual stats, but they were from some police agency somewhere. They were from one of the classes I took. Basically it was that if someone had a handgun on you and you simply took off running, statistics suggested that'd only have about something like a 25% of actually hitting you should they fire at you, and if they did hit you the would was only likely to be fatal 20% of the time. I'm pulling these number out of my ass but basically the gist of it was if you simply bolted you have about an 85% chance of surviving the encounter, which is much higher than trying to out draw a guy who was already pointing a gun at you.

Handguns are quite inaccurate at distances beyond 10 meters or so, and shooting at a moving target with a handgun is pretty sketchy.

maybe you misread what I said? It's hard for anyone else to understand without knowing the building where I work, but it's private property and there's really no reason for anyone to be there. Anyone approaching me there probably has malicious intent, and is already trespassing. That's where I feel really vulnerable and where most of my concern lies.
What are they going to take from you if they do approach you with malicious intent?

Amatours

main-qimg-038177c8537b7f1c1b1da9ef8a29fe03

The fear of gun ownership outweighs the fear of needing to use it to save my life. My wife and I haven’t locked our house doors in over 15 years, we sleep so well at night with windows opened. If I ever thought I needed home protection, I would rig a loudspeaker to the outside of the house such that if I pressed a button, the pre-recorded sound of a cocking sawed off, double barreled shotgun would be amplified throughout the surrounding darkness of night.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
The fear of gun ownership outweighs the fear of needing to use it to save my life. My wife and I haven’t locked our house doors in over 15 years, we sleep so well at night with windows opened. If I ever thought I needed home protection, I would rig a loudspeaker to the outside of the house such that if I pressed a button, the pre-recorded sound of a cocking sawed off, double barreled shotgun would be amplified throughout the surrounding darkness of night.
The metallic click of a safety being taken off?

The metallic click of a safety being taken off?
Nah, I think the sounding pump action of a shotgun with thought of scatter spray gets the hair standing at attention a little quicker, along with their run in the opposite direction.

I once had a home protection salesman try to talk me into buying an amplified outdoor horn alarm to alert the neighbors and scare him (or her) away. What he failed to recognize before his sales pitch was that my closest neighbor lived over a quarter mile through the woods. He left the property with my “if a tree falls in the woods with no one around...” analogy. Salesmanship 101-Always know your target audience. I saved myself a lot of money that day in knowledge of that “deaf ear” analogy, void of tympanic membrane.

Reactions: outside shooter
Nah, I think the sounding pump action of a shotgun with thought of scatter spray gets the hair standing at attention a little quicker, along with their run in the opposite direction.
So not the sound of a sawed off double barreled shotgun being cocked. Got it.

• Haha
Reactions: All4You
Curious what others do for personal protection. I grew up in a hunting family and have been around guns, at least hunting ones, all my life. I hate the proliferation of guns, but accept that's how it is and there's no going back, so I've been weighing getting a handgun for personal protection. I would keep it in the bedroom at home, but where I feel like I need it is entering/exiting my office at odd hours. It's in an industrial area, and while not a bad area, it's pretty isolated and occassionally I see folks cruising by that sometimes look a little sketchy.

I'd originally thought I'd just get a revolver because I felt it's the simplest operation and more reliable with fewer moving parts. I watch a guy on youtube that does self-protection videos though and he suggests carrying as many rounds in your weapon as you can, and says in civilian gunfights, you generally won't have the chance to reload. Just curious to get some feedback on weapons, classes and other tips experienced folks my have for self-protection.
My guns are attached to my shoulders. lol

Just gonna randomly walk up to you and kill you unprovoked? Is that your concern? How often does that happen?
It's happened here in Charlotte a few times that I know of, and I'm hoping with a gun I could prevent it from ever getting to that point. Last year, a guy got shot after giving the robber his wallet and the robber got mad that he only had $40 in his wallet. Lots of times I have $40 or less in my wallet!

It's happened here in Charlotte a few times that I know of, and I'm hoping with a gun I could prevent it from ever getting to that point. Last year, a guy got shot after giving the robber his wallet and the robber got mad that he only had $40 in his wallet. Lots of times I have $40 or less in my wallet!
I have two guesses. Total guesses.

1. There was more to the story than what the public heard about regarding the $40 murder.

2. You'd have a better chance of somebody offing you if you pulled a gun in self defense than if you just gave up your wallet/jewelry/whatever.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Honest question, if someone pulled a gun on you, would you hesitate to use yours?

If the moment arises and you aren’t prepared, things could go bad real fast.

If someone has a gun, knife, or weapon that is threatening me or another human life, that is the only time a gun should ever be unholstered. But when it is, there can be 0 hesitation or doubt.

I have two guesses. Total guesses.

1. There was more to the story than what the public heard about regarding the $40 murder.

2. You'd have a better chance of somebody offing you if you pulled a gun in self defense than if you just gave up your wallet/jewelry/whatever.

number 2 is no joke.

There are really more aspects to gun owner ship that simply the idea of some dude breaking into your house, or a crack head pulling a knife and asking for your wallet on the street. I seriously doubt that my pistols would ever help me in those circumstances, simply because they generally aren't that accessible on a daily basis.

But the world is a ****ed up place and if 2020 taught you anything it should be that crap you never thought you'd see, you just might see. There's nothing wrong with having something to protect you and yours, just in case. If you never need it, so what.

There are really more aspects to gun owner ship that simply the idea of some dude breaking into your house, or a crack head pulling a knife and asking for your wallet on the street. I seriously doubt that my pistols would ever help me in those circumstances, simply because they generally aren't that accessible on a daily basis.

But the world is a ****ed up place and if 2020 taught you anything it should be that crap you never thought you'd see, you just might see. There's nothing wrong with having something to protect you and yours, just in case. If you never need it, so what.
For example? Seriously.

The pandemic has squashed any need to carry cash.

I got $160 from an ATM over a year ago and I think I still have $30-$40 in my wallet.

Absolutely. I've actually done a fair amount of research and watch a guy who has a whole youtube video series (Active Self Protection), that I think are very good. He talks a lot about compliance and "waiting your turn" and "drawing on the drop" (trying to pull a gun when the perp already has his on you), and uses actual footage to illustrate. It may surprise some, but I'm actually taking this seriously and might even buy a gun from a salesperson that doesn't have big tits... maybe. If I decide to get one.

Absolutely. I've actually done a fair amount of research and watch a guy who has a whole youtube video series (Active Self Protection), that I think are very good. He talks a lot about compliance and "waiting your turn" and "drawing on the drop" (trying to pull a gun when the perp already has his on you), and uses actual footage to illustrate. It may surprise some, but I'm actually taking this seriously and might even buy a gun from a salesperson that doesn't have big tits... maybe. If I decide to get one.
I assume there is a video on titular distractions for personal protection that you chose not to link.

Violation.

For example? Seriously.

I don't know. Have you no imagination? Maybe one of my daughters gets involved with a dude who ends up being a psycho stalker. Maybe the next Boston Marathon Bomber type guy is last seen hiding in my neighborhood. Maybe zombies. Maybe just random societal chaos for some other reason. Who knows. Who cares. Most people who had bad shit happen to them didn't anticipate that bad shit was going to happen to them.

It hurts no one for me to have a couple of pistols locked up and the ability to use them. That it's unlikely to every happen is irrelevant.

I don't know. Have you no imagination? Maybe one of my daughters gets involved with a dude who ends up being a psycho stalker. Maybe the next Boston Marathon Bomber type guy is last seen hiding in my neighborhood. Maybe zombies. Maybe just random societal chaos for some other reason. Who knows. Who cares. Most people who had bad shit happen to them didn't anticipate that bad shit was going to happen to them.

It hurts no one for me to have a couple of pistols locked up and the ability to use them. That it's unlikely to every happen is irrelevant.
Those are some fair examples, I suppose. Situations where you have some sort of time to anticipate needing it as opposed to a quick reactionary moment where you aren't prepared and perhaps things are moving faster than you can think. Those are the situations where I think shit gets crazy and the odds of ending up with an accident or getting yourself killed are greater than the benefits of having the gun in the first place (unless you're VERY highly trained and practiced).

Those are some fair examples, I suppose. Situations where you have some sort of time to anticipate needing it as opposed to a quick reactionary moment where you aren't prepared and perhaps things are moving faster than you can think. Those are the situations where I think shit gets crazy and the odds of ending up with an accident or getting yourself killed are greater than the benefits of having the gun in the first place (unless you're VERY highly trained and practiced).

I agree with this. Odds of fatality go up much more when you have a gun, it is just common sense.

It is scary that any average Joe with no training can have a gun under his jacket. That being said, that is exactly why it is a good idea to have one IMO.

I don't own a gun and am not an expert at all about them but have researched the issue for nearly the same reasons you are. In doing so, I've talked to people experienced with this. The general conclusion I came to: if you want something to protect your home, a shotgun is usually recommended. It has low penetration (so you won't shoot through a wall and hit someone you weren't aiming for), larger shooting radius so its easier to hit your intended target, and enough stopping power to get the job done. Plus, people say the sound of pumping the thing scares off a lot of people (meaning you won't have to shoot).

If you want a handgun (which is what I wanted), I narrowed it down to a Glock 17 or 19. They are reputedly very reliable, ammo is easy to find and pretty cheap. The 19 is shorter and some people use it as a concealed weapon, too. I believed the extended clip for a 17 might allow you two more bullets, though, and depending on your size, it might feel more comfortable in your hand.

Again, I didn't buy. One reason was that gun prices have skyrocketed since the pandemic started and they are difficult to even find. The other is that I still don't know if it's safer to have one or not.
every cop i've ever spoken to echoed your opinion on a glock for personal protection. if i were a gun owner that's what i'd get, but in light of the fact that the most dangerous people i'll likely ever encounter also reside in my house i'll likely never own a gun

I have zero illusions about hearing a floorboard creak in the middle of the night and springing into action. First off, I'm probably drunk. Second, to do stuff like that you'd have to leave weapons laying around accessible, and I don't feel at all comfortable with that, no matter how responsible the people in the house are.

Anything I own is locked up and would take a bit to get to. I'm not sure it'd even be my first thought if I was awakened in the night.

I grew up with handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. on a farm in southern Indiana and (while rusty) I would consider myself of at least average capability.

Still, I have no illusions of the testosterone fueled fantasy of super-capability, fending off the imagined armed invader.

The most likely injuries that are outcomes of owning a gun, statistically, are, in order of decreasing probability:

1) an accidental shooting by a friend or family member of a non-criminal
2) an intentional shooting by a friend or family member of a non-criminal
3) an accidental shooting by the owner of a non-criminal
4) an intentional shooting by the owner of some non-criminal
5) theft of the gun by a criminal, who shoots the owner or a family member
6) an intentional shooting by the owner or family member of some criminal, their Rambo moment and chance to get on Fox News.

Good gun education, training, gun security awareness, and attention to routine secure storage can lessen, but not eliminate, issues 1-3 and 5. Basic sanity can lessen but not eliminate issue 4.

Issue 6 is still, however, the unicorn scenario, for most people. If you live in Alaska and the sheriff is 100 miles away, sure. But it doesn't make sense for most people.

A better investment is monitored security systems, many cameras, automatic alerts, etc.

I grew up with handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. on a farm in southern Indiana and (while rusty) I would consider myself of at least average capability.

Still, I have no illusions of the testosterone fueled fantasy of super-capability, fending off the imagined armed invader.

The most likely injuries that are outcomes of owning a gun, statistically, are, in order of decreasing probability:

1) an accidental shooting by a friend or family member of a non-criminal
2) an intentional shooting by a friend or family member of a non-criminal
3) an accidental shooting by the owner of a non-criminal
4) an intentional shooting by the owner of some non-criminal
5) theft of the gun by a criminal, who shoots the owner or a family member
6) an intentional shooting by the owner or family member of some criminal, their Rambo moment and chance to get on Fox News.

Good gun education, training, gun security awareness, and attention to routine secure storage can lessen, but not eliminate, issues 1-3 and 5. Basic sanity can lessen but not eliminate issue 4.

Issue 6 is still, however, the unicorn scenario, for most people. If you live in Alaska and the sheriff is 100 miles away, sure. But it doesn't make sense for most people.

A better investment is monitored security systems, many cameras, automatic alerts, etc.
Actually, you missed the statistically most likely outcome, by an overwhelmingly huge margin: no one gets shot at all, by anyone.

Actually, you missed the statistically most likely outcome, by an overwhelmingly huge margin: no one gets shot at all, by anyone.
I didn't discuss at all the most likely outcome, but rather "The most likely injuries that are outcomes of owning a gun..."

If nobody gets shot, there are presumably no notable injuries.

I agree with this. Odds of fatality go up much more when you have a gun, it is just common sense.

It is scary that any average Joe with no training can have a gun under his jacket. That being said, that is exactly why it is a good idea to have one IMO.
And that's a factor as well. As I said, way back when, maybe in the original post, if I could snap my fingers and get rid of all handguns and non-hunting weapons in personal hands, I probably would. But, I can't and I trust myself more than the average Joe, who might have a gun.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
And that's a factor as well. As I said, way back when, maybe in the original post, if I could snap my fingers and get rid of all handguns and non-hunting weapons in personal hands, I probably would. But, I can't and I trust myself more than the average Joe, who might have a gun.
100%

Reactions: kkott
Curious what others do for personal protection. I grew up in a hunting family and have been around guns, at least hunting ones, all my life. I hate the proliferation of guns, but accept that's how it is and there's no going back, so I've been weighing getting a handgun for personal protection. I would keep it in the bedroom at home, but where I feel like I need it is entering/exiting my office at odd hours. It's in an industrial area, and while not a bad area, it's pretty isolated and occassionally I see folks cruising by that sometimes look a little sketchy.

I'd originally thought I'd just get a revolver because I felt it's the simplest operation and more reliable with fewer moving parts. I watch a guy on youtube that does self-protection videos though and he suggests carrying as many rounds in your weapon as you can, and says in civilian gunfights, you generally won't have the chance to reload. Just curious to get some feedback on weapons, classes and other tips experienced folks my have for self-protection.
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/5-of-the-best-hammerless-revolvers/

As far as your home, I would imagine you are much better protected spending money on a high quality video-based monitored alarmed security system than spending the same dough on guns and ammo.

My daughter and son-in-law visited on Mother's Day and his iphone pinged him that motion sensors detected someone was on his porch, 150 miles away. One tap and he saw what was going on and It was just an Amazon delivery. I don't think his system is all that elaborate or pricey, but it would seem to be effective at quick warning.

ADVERTISEMENT