ADVERTISEMENT

Fire him now!

No we dont davis and green are gone. Plus who knows on smith or durham.
Doesn't matter. I've never been a fan of the "everyone's back" from a losing team argument. Older is usually marginally better. I'd prefer talent. I'm far more excited about the new kids coming then what we have getting older.

It doesn't go down to 50% until after year 5, not next year.
I stand corrected. Need to start a go fund the buyout if we under produce next year as well. Here are the particulars:
“If IU wants to buyout his contract, IU would owe Miller 100-percent of his remaining salary before March 31, 2022 and 50-percent of his remaining salary any date after that.” IDS article

I think of it this way. We can all almost agree that Archie is not fit to be the coach of IU Basketball. The difference between him and say Crean/Davis is that almost all of Archie's players aren't fit to play here either. Crean and Davis could recruit now and then and bring hope. At this point, we can just look forward to his eventual firing. Everybody knows that's where it's going, I see zero reason to not start gauging Beilein's interest. It doesn't seem like he's so ready to retire to not show up at MU's game the other night
Just wait- in less than 2 hours someone will post about how we can make a BTT run and salvage everything, how the new recruits will get us there by year 7, etc. Totally agree with you.

- Make the tournament every year
- Conference championship every third year
- Sweet sixteen every fifth year
- A national championship

Fair enough. I just don’t see us moving in a direction of winning a national title and was curious if that was your expectation.

Reactions: .Gerdis
- Make the tournament every year
- Conference championship every third year
- Sweet sixteen every fifth year
- A national championship
JHC ... set that bar a little lower! Barring the NC, which he should have got, we just fired somebody whose coaching basically produced those sort of lowered expectation!

Reactions: IUgradman
I think of it this way. We can all almost agree that Archie is not fit to be the coach of IU Basketball. The difference between him and say Crean/Davis is that almost all of Archie's players aren't fit to play here either. Crean and Davis could recruit now and then and bring hope. At this point, we can just look forward to his eventual firing. Everybody knows that's where it's going, I see zero reason to not start gauging Beilein's interest. It doesn't seem like he's so ready to retire to not show up at MU's game the other night
Landing lander probably bought archie two more years before this all ends.

Big 10 records through three years for the coaches that have made it this long since Bob Knight:
Mike Davis: 29-19
Tom Crean 2010/11-2012/13: 28-26 (giving him a pass on the first 2 years)
Archie Miller: 26-32

Reactions: demunn and BigMobe
I get this team is offensively challenged. Just not enough guys who can get their own shots, or knock down consistent 3's. That said, the long scoring droughts EVERY GAME LIKE CLOCK WORK seem more than just talent issues (or lack of it). The IU offensive scheme just doesn't put enough pressure on opposing Defenses. 3-4 minute droughts may be on players. 5-10 minute droughts are more than the players.

Can't recall if it was Shon Morris or Brian Butch recently alluded to just not much movement or offensive purpose taking place for IU between the 20 and 10 second marks of the shot clock...too much pounding of the rock at the top by Al, DG and especially RP... option 1 isn't there, so what's next?

Count me in for getting some Assistant who knows Offensive basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: 82hoosier
I stand corrected. Need to start a go fund the buyout if we under produce next year as well. Here are the particulars:
“If IU wants to buyout his contract, IU would owe Miller 100-percent of his remaining salary before March 31, 2022 and 50-percent of his remaining salary any date after that.” IDS article
which makes me wonder if the contract could have any effect on the AD search

do the applicants approach their interviews knowing they likely can't afford to do anything with the BB program for 2 more years? or do any of them tell the search committee "I don't take the job unless I'm allowed to fully evaluate the BB program NEXT spring, not in 2022"?

Last edited:
There's still the BTT tournament, to be fair, but we can mostly summarize the season in its entirety:

- Archie is a decent coach defensively.
- Defense doesn't matter much when you SUCK offensively. 7-8 minute scoring droughts simply won't get it done at this level. Completely unacceptable.
- Xs and Os seem better than Crean, but you have to coach the kids up so they can execute, especially offensively.
- At least we're winning games against good teams.
- But we're getting BTFO by mediocre teams like Purdue and Michigan.
- Finishing 11th in the conference with this roster is completely unacceptable. It can't even be defended. It's embarrassing.
- Archie hasn't yet finished a B1G season with a winning record. Again, UNACCEPTABLE. Completely indefensible.
- Like Crean, can't win on senior day. Have we won on senior day since CAM took over?
And in summary we need a coaching change.

It's been said before, but ... Coach K first three seasons at Duke:

1980–81 17–13 6–8 T–5th NIT Quarterfinal
1981–82 10–17 4–10 T–6th n/a
1982–83 11–17 3–11 7th n/a

Sure it's a cherry picked example and I don't know how those teams and players compared. And I'm not saying Miller is in the same league as Krzyzewski. But it is an example of how it can take some time to get your program going. Both coaches were in their first job at a high major level. Learning and adjustments have to happen. Experience has to be gained. Next two seasons will be the real tell.

Arkansas, Maryland, now Wisconsin terrible coaching it's a pattern.
Being an IU fan must be what it’s like to be stuck in a loop in purgatory. The same excruciating result over and over, day in and day out, with not a shred of tangible hope.

I think we need two wins in BTT. That will not happen. We blew our chance today although clearly we were headed nowhere if we made the dance.

It's been said before, but ... Coach K first three seasons at Duke:

1980–81 17–13 6–8 T–5th NIT Quarterfinal
1981–82 10–17 4–10 T–6th n/a
1982–83 11–17 3–11 7th n/a

Sure it's a cherry picked example and I don't know how those teams and players compared. And I'm not saying Miller is in the same league as Krzyzewski. But it is an example of how it can take some time to get your program going. Both coaches were in their first job at a high major level. Learning and adjustments have to happen. Experience has to be gained. Next two seasons will be the real tell.
Check and see who K’s recruits were during that period and leading into Year 4 and then let us know if you think we’re on the same path.

When the hell was top 40 a standard of Indiana basketball?
There's a significant percentage of the fan base that seems content with a few wins here and there and the occasional trip to the NCAA Tournament. I'm not sure if those are young fans unfamiliar with the history/tradition of IU basketball or older fans who have become apathetic.

Reactions: birdforbogey
When some of us talk about the lowered expectations that some make clear they have, this is a perfect example. Top 40. That says it all.
Exactly. Somewhere along the line, mediocrity became the standard for a segment of the fan base. I'm not sure if that happened simultaneously with the administration de-emphasizing basketball after firing Knight, but it would make perfect sense.

Reactions: birdforbogey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT