ADVERTISEMENT

Fire him now!

So just because Archie has Indiana kids on his roster he gets a pass on not making the tournament possibility three years in a row?

So just because Archie has Indiana kids on his roster he gets a pass on not making the tournament possibility three years in a row?
No one gets a pass for anything. I’m simply pointing to the facts. Failing to acknowledge these as good indicators is ignorant or irrational. You could make an argument that he still won’t win, and I remain open to that possibility.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
TJD can’t kick it out when Davison digs down hard. That’s exactly the match up you want, and TJD bailed out UW by failing to exploit it. That’s what happens far too often during these scoring droughts. IU fails to exploit their strengths and gives up far too easily, with forced shots and empty possessions the end result.
So, what's he supposed to do? Put up a forced shot in heavy traffic where he has no room to maneuver - or kick it out to a wide-open shooter, who can step into his shot? You know, exactly like Wisconsin did to Davisson on the trey that put them ahead for good?

So, what's he supposed to do? Put up a forced shot in heavy traffic where he has no room to maneuver - or kick it out to a wide-open shooter, who can step into his shot? You know, exactly like Wisconsin did to Davisson on the trey that put them ahead for good?
No, he needs to use his size advantage to either get to the basket or the free throw line (or both). He bails out UW by kicking it out when he’s got the mismatch he wants. Why would you say he shouldn’t take advantage of that?

Last edited:
Actually, they DID challenge Potter - Race took it to him at around the 4:40 mark, right as the shot clock was winding down (crowd was chanting the time left, which might have caused him to rush it). He needed to attack diagonally and use the glass; instead, he shot a fall-away from the baseline.

Could Archie have forced the issue to go inside? Sure, he could have (btw, the play referenced above was AFTER Hunter missed a wide-open trey and Durham turned the ball over). After leading 51-44, we had Reuvers twice score on us on nifty shots across the lane. Our guards didn’t dig down because of the Badgers 3 pt shooting - hell, even Reuvers AND Potter can hit behind the arc.

Potter? He got the offensive rebound over Race down 51-48, scored and converted a free throw for the tie. A replay showed him bang against Potter to try to block him out, but Potter (6-10, 247) just is a load to handle. Who do you think we SHOULD have had in there instead? Joey? DeRon?

Three plays I watched (went back to the last 10 minutes) that killed us were these: TJD missed front end of 1and 1 at the 7:45 mark, we’re up 49-42. That was the start of the 2 Reuvers buckets after a short jumper by Trice (well guarded and he hadn’t hit a shot all day. Go figure).

We come down, we’re looking to go inside. Kick it into TJD, who has Davisson dig down HARD On defense; Trayce kicks it to a WIDE OPEN Hunter right in front of the IU bench. And he misses. If you’ve watched us this year (and you’re honest) this inability to hit out shots consistently has KILLED us this year.

Next trip down, Durham loses the ball while trying to set up the offense on the left side. They go down and score to cut it to 3, then the Race play st the end of the shot clock.

Biggest thing I saw during that closing stretch? No leadership. None. You gave a spiel yesterday about Archie “not being a good leader of men” . . . really? Just WHAT is he supposed to do differently? Have you seen ANYTHING from the upperclassmen that gives you to believe they’re leaders?

Hey, listen, if you want to hate on the coach, go for it. Truth is we played hard Saturday and well for a better part of the game. But in that closing stretch, they had two 6-10/6-11 guys with skill and bulk that were hard to handle. And when we tried to dig and help defensively, they had guys like Ford and Davisson that drill outside daggers - like the one Hunter missed.

And they’re a team of veteran players. Trice is a redshirt junior. Pritzel is Grad Senior. Ford is a redshirt junior. Potter is a redshirt junior. Davisson and Reuvers are both juniors. All playing in a long-established system (carryover from Ryan).

Then compare that to us. If you can’t understand why we have the issues we do, I can’t help you. As I said before, there aren’t easy answers for what ails us.
Everyone listen to Taz...ALL IS GOOD! Just close your eyes and ignore reality and you’ll see it too! 11th place is a success!

Reactions: snarlcakes
No, he needs to use his size advantage to either get to the basket or the free throw line (or both). He bails out UW by kicking it out when he’s got the mismatch he wants. Why would you say he shouldn’t take advantage of that?
No, he didn't have the mismatch he wanted.

TJD set up to the left side of the lane, about 1/2 way between te FT line and the basket. Reuvers bumps him off his spot and forces him out further, so when he catches the entry pass and Davisson digs down, he's not in an ideal position to score or drive to the basket.

How many times have people complained on here about "Archie doesn't have an offense to get guys good shots"? Bullshit. You get a kickout to a shooter from a double-team in the post, a shot where the shooter can step into the shot? That's EXACTLY the kind of outside shot you want.

But we haven't hit it consistently all year - which is why teams pack it in on us on D. And will continue to do so until we start hitting shots.

Reactions: BigMobe
No, he didn't have the mismatch he wanted.

TJD set up to the left side of the lane, about 1/2 way between te FT line and the basket. Reuvers bumps him off his spot and forces him out further, so when he catches the entry pass and Davisson digs down, he's not in an ideal position to score or drive to the basket.

How many times have people complained on here about "Archie doesn't have an offense to get guys good shots"? Bullshit. You get a kickout to a shooter from a double-team in the post, a shot where the shooter can step into the shot? That's EXACTLY the kind of outside shot you want.

But we haven't hit it consistently all year - which is why teams pack it in on us on D. And will continue to do so until we start hitting shots.
Players often aren’t in an “ideal” position, but they maximize the advantages they have. TJD failed to do that when he kicked the ball out, and it played to UW’s benefit. It’s basic basketball. TJD should’ve gone hard to the basket. Failing to do so was to the betterment of UW. Not sure why you continue to miss this. And it’s “Davison”.

Players often aren’t in an “ideal” position, but they maximize the advantages they have. TJD failed to do that when he kicked the ball out, and it played to UW’s benefit. It’s basic basketball. TJD should’ve gone hard to the basket. Failing to do so was to the betterment of UW. Not sure why you continue to miss this.

Players maximise advantages, I agree - when they have them. TJD was double-teamed, 8 feet from the basket and is supposed to force it through tight defense? And if he does that instead of passing to a wide open teammate, you'd blame Archie for that, too?

And it’s “Davison”.

Wow, I'm wrong about a name. Got me there . . .:rolleyes:

Who *doesn’t* need a nap, sometimes? Smoke myself a nice fatty, open up the window to let the spring breeze in, throw “Tapestry” into the CD player, and float away ...

th

Reactions: Radio Zero
I saw it. I'll rewatch it, but I didn't think it was designed for him. He didn't score because he is undersized and not a very good post player, especially against taller guys. The outcome was predictable.

Yes, he should have. Preferably, with Deron.

Go back and watch the last 10 minutes. Race was playing as well as anyone we had on the floor.

Put Deron in? Maybe – but what about defense? You think Davis is going out to cover Reuvers or Potter? Same thing with Brunk – remember what happened with Joey against Jalen Smith from Maryland? God, we put either one of them out there at the end, they bomb it on us from deep and I can hear it already . . . “Did Archie forget about how these guys CAN’T cover outside? Did he not learn a damn thing about Maryland and Smith?!?!?” Can’t win . . .

I was referencing the offensive rebound that Potter got and kicked out for a three. Race's effort was terrible on it. Once, again I think he was gassed because he usually gives good effort. Yes, Deron or Joey should have been in the game. Race's poor rebounding and defense were directly responsible for at least 10 points down the stretch. It was an awful stretch for him.

Was Race tired? Idk . . . on that play where Potter got the rebound we have a lot of breakdowns – particular Devonte, who had already started to fade toward halfcourt after challenging Davison’s first shot. He was 10-15 feet from Davisson when the ball was kicked back out. THAT is a senior leader?

This is your latest cliche excuse. I'll give you credit for moving on from your injury and team chemistry excuses from last year. Maybe it's just the coach?

Latest Cliché? How about the truth?

Durham (one of our veteran guys) has a careless turnover where he loses the ball coming off a screen – wasn’t forced into it, just playing out of control. That’s on Archie?

Green doesn’t hustle over on D as I mentioned before – that’s on Archie?

Is this where I respond like a douche? Hey, listen, if you want to hate the players, go for it? Putting snark aside, I don't hate the coach. He's just not an elite coach and will never win a national championship in my opinion.

I don’t hate the players. And I think Archie has somehow got to do a better job of “pushing the right buttons” to get guys to play how he wants.

But at some point, it’s incumbent upon to players to perform. TJD hits the FT’s and we’re up 9. Hunter hits the open shot and were up 8. Hell, we at least get an opportunity to score without Al’s silly TO.

But, I know – that ALL on Archie too, right?

At least you did admit it’s your opinion that Archie isn’t an Elite coach and that he’ll never win a title. And I can’t tell you he WILL. He has two full recruiting classes on the floor and you want to give absolute judgement on him?

We have 6 upperclassmen (including Race), as well, and the best freshmen in the league. We're also a veteran team.

Are you effing kidding me??

Here, again, is the meat of Wisconsin’s rotation players:

Pritzl – Grad Sr.

Reuvers – Junior

Davison – Junior

Potter – RS Junior

Ford – RS Junior

Trice – RS Junior

As I said in another thread, don't forget - besides the maturity - that all of those players have been playing in an established system. Gard has been in Madison since 2001 when Bo Ryan took over and had been the Associate Head Coach since 2008. He took over from Ryan 12 games into the 2015-16 season.

Now, compare that to us:

Devonte – a senior left over from the previous regime. Wasn’t recruited to Archie’s system; if you’re honest he’s about as opposite a guard as Archie would ever want.

Davis – hasn’t been the same since the Achilles injury. Never was highly mobile before it occurred. Again, not recruited for Archie’s system.

Smith – the kind of athlete Archie needs for his defense, at least when he’s locked in. He’s been better this year (I know, despite Archie’s coaching ) but without question he’s not always bought into the system (see daddy’s tweets from last year).

Durham – Plays well at times, completely lost others. His idiotic tossing from the Arkansas game led to that defeat. Thatis something a VETERAN is supposed to bring, a team captain no less?

Brunk – Plays hard and provides bulk up front. But he’s limited skillwise.

Race – if you say you haven’t seen improvement from Thompson (not saying you have said that, just an expression) you haven’t been watching. IMHO he’s our most improved player. Take into account how much time he lost last year with the concussion and his injury earlier this season and he’s still developing. Gotta like what we’re seeing there, however.

Phinisee – Same thing. Concussion last year, abdominal issue this year (have you ever done anything with an abdominal strain/tear? I have. It’s a bitch).

Hunter – He’s had an up/down year, to be expected of a player in their 1st year.

Franklin – Young guy who has an opportunity to be a really good player before he leaves. Obvisouly still needs time to develop.

TJD – our most talented player. Still needs to get better/stronger (Reuvers had his way with him inside, as did Kofi Cockburn). Btw – Cockburn won B1G Freshman of the Year – by BOTH media and coaches.

You think both of those are comparable? If we assign a number for year’s experience (5 for Grad/RS Senior; 4 for Senior/RS Junior; etc . . . .) the value of experience of the Wisconsin players comes back as 4.3; for IU, it comes back for the players I listed as 3.1 – and that’s counting as if Hunter and Thompson didn’t lose significant time (as we know, they did).

Archie had to come in and try to establish a system completely opposite of how Crean coached, trying to get the holdovers to buy in while getting the new guys up to speed. He’s only had two classes so far he has truly recruited for his system – yet you want to say “we’re a veteran team, also”? Really? Comparable to Wisconsin?

I see the issues the team has and adjust for them accordingly. We still should have won 2 or 3 more games this year. 3 to 5 wins a year are the the difference between an average coach and elite one. Archie has underachieved for 3 straight years, now. If you can't understand that, I can't help you
clip_image002.png

Really?

In 2017-18, what was he supposed to do with that team? Seriously.

Last year? We were one game from making the tournament in a year with unprecedented injuries (again, tell us the team like we had last year that had the same injuries with no more experience that what we had AND the coach was only in his 2nd year) and it was an unmitigated failure? A disappointment, yes.

This year? Where were we slated to finish before the season? Around where we are, that’s where. Nobody had us making the tournament, and unless we absolutely tank tomorrow that will happen.

Does Miller need to be better? Sure he does. But if you’re finding fault with him alone you’ve got an obvious bias against the guy.

Players maximise advantages, I agree - when they have them. TJD was double-teamed, 8 feet from the basket and is supposed to force it through tight defense? And if he does that instead of passing to a wide open teammate, you'd blame Archie for that, too?

Wow, I'm wrong about a name. Got me there . . .:rolleyes:
He waited on the DT. He had the advantage and gave it up. UW got him to go away from his strength.

Put Deron in? Maybe – but what about defense? You think Davis is going out to cover Reuvers or Potter? Same thing with Brunk – remember what happened with Joey against Jalen Smith from Maryland? God, we put either one of them out there at the end, they bomb it on us from deep and I can hear it already . . . “Did Archie forget about how these guys CAN’T cover outside? Did he not learn a damn thing about Maryland and Smith?!?!?” Can’t win . . .

why every team needs to learn the zone as well.

any coach that doesn't utilize a zone is an idiot.

even Knight's Achilles heal was going against a zone, and how UK beat the 74-75 team in Dayton.

why every team needs to learn the zone as well.

any coach that doesn't utilize a zone is an idiot.

even Knight's Achilles heal was going against a zone, and how UK beat the 74-75 team in Dayton.
The packline is supposed to incorporate the best of zone and man-to-man concepts, but players have to buy in and stay within the team concept of the defense.

Case in point - on the 3 pt shot by Davison that gave the lead to Wisconsin for good, Devonte challenged Davison's first try attempt - then started to fade toward center court after he shot and missed. Potter got the rebound and kicked to a open Davison, who Green was in no position to recover on because of his fade toward the center court.

Being out of position kills any defense, but especially the packline.

Doesn't matter. I've never been a fan of the "everyone's back" from a losing team argument. Older is usually marginally better. I'd prefer talent. I'm far more excited about the new kids coming then what we have getting older.
I'd rather get Archie's recruits in ASAP

Reactions: mcmurtry66
This year? Where were we slated to finish before the season? Around where we are, that’s where. Nobody had us making the tournament, and unless we absolutely tank tomorrow that will happen.

Does Miller need to be better? Sure he does. But if you’re finding fault with him alone you’ve got an obvious bias against the guy.

Just to clarify, prior to the season you didn’t think we should make the tourney fairly easy? I thought we’d be in the 8-10 seed range. It’s extremely difficult to nail you guys down on anything.

We’re essentially (as far making the NCAA tourney) at the same place we were last year after ending the season losing 8 of 12. Needing to win a game in BTT to make the dance. Thankfully, we finished as the 11 seed and don’t have to play OSU. We’re not going to agree that this was the teams ceiling or we’re a well coached team.

Last edited:
Everyone listen to Taz...ALL IS GOOD! Just close your eyes and ignore reality and you’ll see it too! 11th place is a success!
He didn't say anything close to that, dumbass.
Now, on the other hand, you do say dumbass things...all the time. And you proclaim them as indisputable facts...kind of like guarantees. You should probably let real IU fans take it from here, kiddo.

He didn't say anything close to that, dumbass.
Now, on the other hand, you do say dumbass things...all the time. And you proclaim them as indisputable facts...kind of like guarantees. You should probably let real IU fans take it from here, kiddo.

Like this?

I've been waiting all afternoon to post this because I wanted to be 100% sure. I got a text this morning about it and admittedly I thought it was a rumor at first. I've been waiting to make sure its 100% before posting.
I can say with 100% confidence that Billy and his wife were in Bloomington this morning.
I don't see any scenario where he and his wife come to town and he doesn't take the job. It's happening!!!

Man u guys sure like to beat a dead horse about Donovan. Who gives a shit he didn't come was he maybe I sure wish he did then we wouldn't be in 11th place in the big ten.

just curious how you access a post that old.
I think you need to primarily be devoid of IU basketball knowledge and reliant on old posts as a desperate means to attain relevance here. That’s likely the best way to wage a petty fight when you don’t have anything else to rely on. Probably.

What - I got the number of usernames right? :eek:Thanks for confirming that .
No, that you have nothing to add here other than digging up coach predictions from three years ago. Obviously, you add nothing when the discussion turns to IU basketball. Surely you agree with that.

No, that you have nothing to add here other than digging up coach predictions from three years ago. Obviously, you add nothing when the discussion turns to IU basketball. Surely you agree with that.

why aren’t you out looking for crowds of 250+ people to shake hands with?

If you are not pumped about a soph TJD and a healthy Phinisee than you are stupid.
Well, Jimmy, I’m not sure when I posted that, but now that we’re under a national health emergency, there’s no sports at all, the kids are off until God knows when and are haunting the halls of my home like bored Zombies, I honestly don’t give two sh*ts about Phiniese’s groin injury healing up 9 months from now. So I guess I’m stupid because no, I’m not “pumped.” But thanks.

Well, Jimmy, I’m not sure when I posted that, but now that we’re under a national health emergency, there’s no sports at all, the kids are off until God knows when and are haunting the halls of my home like bored Zombies, I honestly don’t give two sh*ts about Phiniese’s groin injury healing up 9 months from now. So I guess I’m stupid because no, I’m not “pumped.” But thanks.
LOL so silly.

You forgot to add “GFY.” I find it’s usually quite a nice flourish to a post, and pleasantly inflammatory.

If you’d rather not do so yourself, I’d be more than happy to help.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT