ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Archie Miller

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Same stupid BS issues with roster and terrible play. This is the worst coaching staff in the BIG. I’m done until Archie is fired. No chance in hell this team wins enough in the BIG to get a tournament bid. Pathetic

Not until 2022 at the earliest. Maybe find another hobby in the meantime

Same stupid BS issues with roster and terrible play. This is the worst coaching staff in the BIG. I’m done until Archie is fired. No chance in hell this team wins enough in the BIG to get a tournament bid. Pathetic

We'll look forward to your absence. Will be tough to miss your high level analysis, however. How's the tshirt business in covid era?

You promise?
Sorry Coach, but you’re on the wrong side of this one. You and a few others have been supportive of this kind of mediocrity, while some of us have been far more accurate about the state of the program. You and the lowered expectations crowd have exactly what you’ve asked for.

We'll look forward to your absence. Will be tough to miss your high level analysis, however. How's the tshirt business in covid era?

Does year 4 looking like this not irritate you? Or has the apathy completely overtaken you?

Because the apathy has completely consumed me. I am no longer emotionally invested in IUBB. I watch out of habit and am excited when it’s over so I can put something more entertaining on or go to bed.

Does year 4 looking like this not irritate you? Or has the apathy completely overtaken you?

Because the apathy has completely consumed me. I am no longer emotionally invested in IUBB. I watch out of habit and am excited when it’s over so I can put something more entertaining on or go to bed.

I don't have high expectations, still don't have a play making guard.

College basketball is pretty bad across the board. Teams are more or less about the same from 10-75, shooting is generally pretty terrible. Add in empty arenas and it's just not a very great product.

College basketball is pretty bad across the board. Teams are more or less about the same from 10-75, shooting is generally pretty terrible. Add in empty arenas and it's just not a very great product.

In a world of terrible shooting, IU reigns supreme.

elite 8 baby

It's been a long time since I have watched an aggressive and confident IU team. Very few playmakers and threats other than TJD. We need a true big bodied banger and a threat from the outside and maybe a point guard that knows how to penetrate a zone? It just doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for a while. I'm a LOYAL IU fan and season ticket holder for Fball and Bball but Archie needs to get it figured out quickly. Just not sure he is the answer.

Reactions: Sassy61
I am disappointed with our success so far under CAM. Also concerned about the culture questions.
However, I (and I suspect very few of us) have inside info.
Is Stewart going to start in January and be a shooter?
Does CAM have transfer bigs almost recruited?
And perhaps most important, who replaces the fired Archie?

If you are really done, I guess we won't be haring from you anymore this season. In that case let me wish you a Happy New Year.

Yea, but are you going to sell t-shirts?

Archie needs at least 5 years.

He won't get it here without substantial improvement. He may get a C19 pass but that is a freak thing. There are enough of us left with higher expectations.

The BOT won't protect AM from firing they way they did Crean,

Lander could be... Start him and Give him the minutes

Last edited:
Talk of firing Miller here is very tiresome. First, it's still early in his fourth season and none of us can see the future. We don't know how good or bad this season will ultimately be. Second, IU won't fire Miller after even a losing season this year. His 100% buy out is going to prevent it. Even if COVID didn't kill a huge amount of athletic departments revenue to the point that most are running deficits, IU will not eat that buy out. It's not going to happen.

Dolson can’t protect Miller the way Glass protected Crean, to the point where FG sent him to Florida with an assurance his job was safe and then fired him a day later. Glass was so equally pissed and neutered that he wouldn’t even get on a plane and fly to Sarasota (he asked Crean to come back a day after he arrived and, when TC refused, he fired him over the phone. Cowardly and unprofessional, but also the work of someone who didn’t make the decision). The BOT stepped in and Glass‘s authority was usurped, and he had infinitely more power than SD, who is still pedaling with training wheels and doesn’t have the authority due both to his short tenure as well as McRobbie’s imminent departure. Oh, and Covid, which has hit even low football revenue IU hard. Miller will be at IU through Year 5, unless he cheats.

Talk of firing Miller here is very tiresome. First, it's still early in his fourth season and none of us can see the future. We don't know how good or bad this season will ultimately be. Second, IU won't fire Miller after even a losing season this year. His 100% buy out is going to prevent it. Even if COVID didn't kill a huge amount of athletic departments revenue to the point that most are running deficits, IU will not eat that buy out. It's not going to happen.

He'll be fired after next season. Won't happen this season.

I can't believe you would talk about one of your relatives like this, edub. After all, you both share the same last name. lol

Well...per two BOT members during a fundraising meeting/meal at the uptown cafe;

When the BOT stepped in and stopped Glass from acting on Crean when he initially wanted to, it resulted in a fair amount of backlash from the donors and at least one BOT member who felt (and IMHO rightfully so) that they had overstepped their purview.

It was that other Trustee, ironically, who the next season stepped in and supported Glass and TC was finally terminated. Even the actual termination was clumsy due to the timing as Glass initially thought his intentions were once again being over ruled.

There was a lot of blowback and even some friction among the BOT (described to me in person and in some detail by the two Trustees noted above) over the mess. I just don't think we will see this happen again, particularly with McRobbie leaving.

But I could be wrong. Politics are unpredictable.

Reactions: iu papa
When the BOT stepped in and stopped Glass from acting on Crean when he initially wanted to, it resulted in a fair amount of backlash from the donors and at least one BOT member who felt (and IMHO rightfully so) that they had overstepped their purview.
What was it about Crean that garnered such support from these Trustees?

The BOT didn’t support him. In fact, one Trustee intervened (with the support of McRobbie and the other members) and told Glass that The BOT believed it was time for Crean to go. Glass had already told Crean he was safe (since he was, in Glass’s eyes), so much so that Crean asked if there was any reason to postpone a scheduled family holiday and remain in Bloomington. Glass assured him there was no reason to stay, since he had no intention of terminating him (and had not made any internal effort to build a consensus among the stakeholders to take such an action, something the politically astute Glass understood would be needed if he were to move on Crean).

Crean flew to Sarasota, a certain Trustee stepped in and told Glass what needed to happen and that the BOT and MM supported it, and to get it done. At that point, Glass should’ve and could’ve flown to Florida and delivered such sensitive news in person, as most people would do. Instead, he summoned Crean to return to Bloomington, and with the media already running with the rumors that a change was coming, Crean questioned him as to what was so urgent, since Glass had just told him he was safe. Then, he informed him that IU was terminating him. Via telephone. And to the great chagrin of the very people who drove the decision to push Crean out. Glass dropped a few notches in the eyes of several of his superiors after that.

The BOT didn’t support him. In fact, one Trustee intervened (with the support of McRobbie and the other members) and told Glass that The BOT believed it was time for Crean to go. Glass had already told Crean he was safe (since he was, in Glass’s eyes), so much so that Crean asked if there was any reason to postpone a scheduled family holiday and remain in Bloomington. Glass assured him there was no reason to stay, since he had no intention of terminating him (and had not made any internal effort to build a consensus among the stakeholders to take such an action, something the politically astute Glass understood would be needed if he were to move on Crean).

Crean flew to Sarasota, a certain Trustee stepped in and told Glass what needed to happen and that the BOT and MM supported it, and to get it done. At that point, Glass should’ve and could’ve flown to Florida and delivered such sensitive news in person, as most people would do. Instead, he summoned Crean to return to Bloomington, and with the media already running with the rumors that a change was coming, Crean questioned him as to what was so urgent, since Glass had just told him he was safe. Then, he informed him that IU was terminating him. Via telephone. And to the great chagrin of the very people who drove the decision to push Crean out. Glass dropped a few notches in the eyes of several of his superiors after that.

What about the decision to hire Archie over Holtmann, Mack, Marshall, etc. Who made that call?

I can only speculate on that as it was not discussed in my presence.

I suspect that Crean's record of two BTCs and a wait list for season tickets was good enough for them. IU is a relatively liberal university and not as much a sports factory as some. As I said, it was a Trustee we all are familiar with that made the reversal happen.

I suspect that Crean's record of two BTCs and a wait list for season tickets was good enough for them. IU is a relatively liberal university and not as much a sports factory as some. As I said, it was a Trustee we all are familiar with that made the reversal happen.
Makes sense, and aligns with what I thought might have been the case.

Makes sense, and aligns with what I thought might have been the case.

McRobbie is not much of a sports guy. Hope his successor is more so. Don't get me wrong...academics and research come first, but would like to see a better balance from that chair.

Glass made mistakes but did amazing work with what he had. Dolson is not nearly as well connected so he will need more support from the next administration.

McRobbie is not much of a sports guy. Hope his successor is more so. Don't get me wrong...academics and research come first, but would like to see a better balance from that chair.
It appeared the only time McRobbie got involved was when there were off court/field incidents that put the University in a bad light. Otherwise, it was Fred's baby. Which is how it should be. I can't see how anything Fred did during his tenure would have been improved by more involvement from the President.
Glass made mistakes but did amazing work with what he had. Dolson is not nearly as well connected so he will need more support from the next administration.
Fred sure did seem to know who had the deep pockets and how to get into them. He also had an enthusiastic, larger-than-life presence about him I don't see from Dolson, although I'm sure not in any kind of position to really know. For the next year or two, the Athletic Department has its work cut out for it simply by making ends meet. Barring a total meltdown, I wouldn't expect Dolson to make any big moves with basketball until things return to some sense of normal.

It appeared the only time McRobbie got involved was when there were off court/field incidents that put the University in a bad light. Otherwise, it was Fred's baby. Which is how it should be. I can't see how anything Fred did during his tenure would have been improved by more involvement from the President.

Fred sure did seem to know who had the deep pockets and how to get into them. He also had an enthusiastic, larger-than-life presence about him I don't see from Dolson, although I'm sure not in any kind of position to really know. For the next year or two, the Athletic Department has its work cut out for it simply by making ends meet. Barring a total meltdown, I wouldn't expect Dolson to make any big moves with basketball until things return to some sense of normal.
He just couldn’t hire or man age most coaches well, which is why the Crean decision was taken from his control.

You are right about McRobbie surfacing when their were issues as he should have. I just suspect that athletics were not as important to him as they are to other Presidents and what Crean was doing was "good enough" and not worthy of firing him.

But again, it might have been a few Trustees that stuck together on tying Fred's hands. I don't know and can just speculate about the whys... as I said. Either way we would either be looking at one year deeper into Miller's tenure or an entirely different coaching situation had Fred gotten his way a year...or two earlier when we all wanted crean out.

Scott has a different tool kit than Fred. We shall see how it works out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT