ADVERTISEMENT

Find me a guard, please

Jan 29, 2020
Our guards went 3/26.

How Green still logs 1 minute of playing time is beyond me. And I don’t even care if he scores 16 in one game. He’s horrible. Turnover machine. And a lot of his turnovers aren’t even on the stat sheet.

everyone talks up Phinese like he’s our golden boy. Yeah he can handle the ball, but he doesn’t create anything, he can’t shoot, and his defense is avg.

At some point you can’t keep blaming the players. Year three and the guard play seems to be going the opposite direction.

Our guards went 3/26.

How Green still logs 1 minute of playing time is beyond me. And I don’t even care if he scores 16 in one game. He’s horrible. Turnover machine. And a lot of his turnovers aren’t even on the stat sheet.

everyone talks up Phinese like he’s our golden boy. Yeah he can handle the ball, but he doesn’t create anything, he can’t shoot, and his defense is avg.
If he’s hurt let’s hear it otherwise he’s awful

3nmjft.jpg

Our guards went 3/26.

Rob has to figure out how to play on the road. He's been good at home but his road numbers are pure garbage.

We just need a serviceable point guard but those four just can't bring it on the road.

Reactions: .Gerdis
At some point you can’t keep blaming the players. Year three and the guard play seems to be going the opposite direction.

Agree, if there is not noticible, consistent improvement in 3 years and not meeting described expectations by our wonderful AD who hired him, we need to move on and this year, another year of this with recruiting already dead and Archie on expiring contract will set us back to major rebuild land

Our guards went 3/26.

How many of those 26 shots were squared up and in the rhythm of an offense compared to floating, off balance, rushed or late in the shot clock heaves? Lack of mental toughness. Lack of understanding. Poor coaching. Selfishness. Lack of skill. I'd say a combination of all of these. When you can't shoot you better be able to get to the basket and this group of guards do not do that consistently and on the rare ocassion they do they are not locks to score.

Reactions: BigMobe
How many of those 26 shots were squared up and in the rhythm of an offense compared to floating, off balance, rushed or late in the shot clock heaves? Lack of mental toughness. Lack of understanding. Poor coaching. Selfishness. Lack of skill. I'd say a combination of all of these. When you can't shoot you better be able to get to the basket and this group of guards do not do that consistently and on the rare ocassion they do they are not locks to score.
Seems to me it starts and ends with the lack of shooters. Hit a couple of threes in the first half and it's a different game...well, maybe IU would have lost only by single digits.

Another telling thing is...uhm...I call it motor or others may call it leadership on the court. IU seems to have no PG with motor since Phin hasn't really gotten into fighting condition. That leaves three guys or so that seem to energize the whole team: Brunk; Hunter; and Race. Smith comes and goes and Green does it when he hits...but not like those other three. When D Anderson was the first off the bench I'm pretty sure that IU fans everywhere sat back and gave a collective 'oh no'. And the refs took out Brunk. Hunter was ill. And Race was not to play because of injury.

D kept us in the game. But lack of crispness in passing and poor shot selection combined with the above it was game over.

And when things start to go downhill then we really miss Hunter and Race. For example Green is PG. He is looking for someone to pass to. TJD is doubled because Brunk and DD are out. There is no movement on offense. Everyone looks at Green as if he has to do something. Obi Wan, you're our only hope.

IU has a tough time on the road. But having no motor and no shooters really does put the team and Archie in a hole.

We need Race, Hunter and Brunk in these games. Would be nice if Phin got back but if they can't or won't get the ball inside...defense can't win the game by itself.

All I can say is beat OSU.

Last edited:
Really good to see you back, vb! Helpful and insightful, positive comments are really appreciated from a good IU fan like you.

Not.
You mean like your helpful, insightful comments that we lost cause we can't shoot, freaking brilliant Einstein.

Agree, if there is not noticible, consistent improvement in 3 years and not meeting described expectations by our wonderful AD who hired him, we need to move on and this year, another year of this with recruiting already dead and Archie on expiring contract will set us back to major rebuild land

I'm all in if you have $15M lying about for the buyout.

Our guards went 3/26.

Most nights Rob will play well. Durham and Green are done. We might get lucky and have them shoot well once in a while. Find a good second guard and go with them 30+ minutes. I don't care if it is Franklin, Hunter, or Bybee.

What I don't like is being #294 in 3 point percentage. and throwing up shots without TJD touching the ball. I'll even be happy with TJD shooting more from 15-18'. Just give him the ball.

Last night was totally on the players. Specifically the guards and Brunk. They were careless with the ball, couldn't finish at the rim, couldn't make a shot and can't keep even the worst guards we will face in front of them.

Our 2020 freshmen better come in confident and ready to play.

It's not just the guards but they are the biggest issue and have been all season. In fact, a healthy Race could have made a huge difference with all the fouls last night.

As for the guards, the inability to stay in front of their man again just killed IU. And the bad passes leading to break away baskets really started it going downhill. It seemed they hesitated and then tried to make the pass. That's really all it takes when the defense is overplaying and jumping the gaps.

Their lack of understanding and inability to set the team up for quality shots is pretty obvious. While guards on other teams seem to attack the defense, IU is for the most part happy to let their guards float around weaving along the perimeter and then jack up a three. They rarely take it inside and force the defense to react.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Seems to me it starts and ends with the lack of shooters. Hit a couple of threes in the first half and it's a different game...well, maybe IU would have lost only by single digits.

Another telling thing is...uhm...I call it motor or others may call it leadership on the court. IU seems to have no PG with motor since Phin hasn't really gotten into fighting condition. That leaves three guys or so that seem to energize the whole team: Brunk; Hunter; and Race. Smith comes and goes and Green does it when he hits...but not like those other three. When D Anderson was the first off the bench I'm pretty sure that IU fans everywhere sat back and gave a collective 'oh no'. And the refs took out Brunk. Hunter was ill. And Race was not to play because of injury.

D kept us in the game. But lack of crispness in passing and poor shot selection combined with the above it was game over.

And when things start to go downhill then we really miss Hunter and Race. For example Green is PG. He is looking for someone to pass to. TJD is doubled because Brunk and DD are out. There is no movement on offense. Everyone looks at Green as if he has to do something. Obi Wan, you're our only hope.

IU has a tough time on the road. But having no motor and no shooters really does put the team and Archie in a hole.

We need Race, Hunter and Brunk in these games. Would be nice if Phin got back but if they can't or won't get the ball inside...defense can't win the game by itself.

All I can say is beat OSU.
It’s about maturity or, in IUs case, the lack thereof. Playing on the road is disruptive (miss class, travel, preparation is impacted, the crowd is hostile), and IU hasn’t responded well, with the exception of Brunk and TJD, who are both newbies. It’s a lack of leadership in everything they do. Miller knows it as a former player and long time coach, but I don’t think he knows what to do about it at this point.

It’s about maturity or, in IUs case, the lack thereof. Playing on the road is disruptive (miss class, travel, preparation is impacted, the crowd is hostile), and IU hasn’t responded well, with the exception of Brunk and TJD, who are both newbies. It’s a lack of leadership in everything they do. Miller knows it as a former player and long time coach, but I don’t think he knows what to do about it at this point.
Miller knows basketball but appears to be completely clueless in communication to his team.

Archie reminds me of a doctor who trys to describe a condition this way. "your LDL is bad but your HDL is borderline, your BMI is a above average, lifestyle changes might prevent a future myocardial incident."

Here's how Knight would have described condtion- Your an overweight lazy ass that's going to die of a f---cking heart attack now get your ass in gear"

ADVERTISEMENT