ADVERTISEMENT

Fighting a Wild fire

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
A 130,000+ acre fire is burning next to my place in north central Colorado. The air drop of retardant is about 300 yards from our cabin. The Helicopter is operating out of our fishing hole 150 yards away. Fire has burned some buildings at an adjacent property but the cabins around our place are safe--for now. The retardant and water is being used to keep the fire from coming back through unburned areas. The picture with the blazing forrest is about 6 miles east of us.

The fire crews are from Nevada, Montana, and Wyoming and Colorado . Our gratitude for their work has no bounds, but we and the neighbors will provide a more practical sign of appreciation.

B7903436-CC7146-CDBC4-F8686-B2342-D56.png

mullen-fire.jpg

A 130,000+ acre fire is burning next to my place in north central Colorado. The air drop of retardant is about 300 yards from our cabin. The Helicopter is operating out of our fishing hole 150 yards away. Fire has burned some buildings at an adjacent property but the cabins around our place are safe--for now. The retardant and water is being used to keep the fire from coming back through unburned areas. The picture with the blazing forrest is about 6 miles east of us.

The fire crews are from Nevada, Montana, and Wyoming and Colorado . Our gratitude for their work has no bounds, but we and the neighbors will provide a more practical sign of appreciation.

mullen-fire.jpg
Hope everything goes okay CO. That’s beautiful country.

Reactions: 76-1

mullen-fire.jpg

Best of luck. Stay safe..... the fires this year have been awful.

mullen-fire.jpg
I thought you lived in Ouray?

Damn. Sorry to see that. Don't take any chances.

mullen-fire.jpg

Good luck with your property, and everyone else's. It is sad to see such destruction.

Jesus man, that's scary as hell.

Stay safe and best of luck.

This is the worst year in my lifetime.

2020 sucks.
I take it you don't rake your forest enough.

Good luck with your property, and everyone else's. It is sad to see such destruction.

Our cabin was built 35 years ago with logs and paneling from a sawmill operating in a place near where the blazing forrest picture was taken. The sawmill closed a few years later. Two others in the area also closed. Logging has been essentially non-existent since then. Forests around here are basically unhealthy. Pine beetles have also taken their toll. Prescribed burns used to be common, now they are rare. Three years ago, there was a huge fire west of our place that the forrest service didn't really try to put out, instead they just focused on protecting structures. That forrest and some others need to burn. I haven't heard about this fire, but I assume that the foresters aren't too disappointed that some of it is burning.

The wildlife is a different issue. An eagle tree that has housed a nesting pair of bald eagles for many years has burned. I don't know what became of the birds, I assume they moved on. Lots of deer, lions, antelope, moose, and bear in the area too. Don't know where they go--if they survived. The North Platte River is gold medal trout fishing in the vicinity of our cabin. The fire along the river will affect the fish also not to mention the beaver and river otters.

mullen-fire.jpg

Fire is now more than 140,000 acres and there are more than 1,100 fire fighters on the scene. Most of the areas burned here are remote and not developed. Can't imagine what going on in California wine country.

Best of luck to you. I could see ash in the air earlier this week and every day is a toss up as to whether the smoke will block a view of the mountains. We were up in Dillon last week and the air was pretty hazy, but not quite as bad as I expected. I wish I could share a pic of the Aspens I took last weekend around Divide with the fellow Coolerites. Looking north from the mountain we hiked up was all haze, but looking south was clear, fortunately.

My in-laws live in Cali and were on the border of the evacuation zone of one of the fires, and were planning on staying with us for a few weeks. They sent us pics from around 5pm one day and the sky was nearly black from all the smoke and ash.

A little bit of rain would be great right now, but the forecast doesn't show any in the near future.

Best of luck to you. I could see ash in the air earlier this week and every day is a toss up as to whether the smoke will block a view of the mountains. We were up in Dillon last week and the air was pretty hazy, but not quite as bad as I expected. I wish I could share a pic of the Aspens I took last weekend around Divide with the fellow Coolerites. Looking north from the mountain we hiked up was all haze, but looking south was clear, fortunately.

My in-laws live in Cali and were on the border of the evacuation zone of one of the fires, and were planning on staying with us for a few weeks. They sent us pics from around 5pm one day and the sky was nearly black from all the smoke and ash.

A little bit of rain would be great right now, but the forecast doesn't show any in the near future.

Thanks for the good wishes.

The fall colors this year are spectacular--I guess one of the benefits of the hot dry weather.

Uploading pictures is easy.

Go to this link and follow the prompts. . You need to create an internet address for the photo in order to paste onto the picture posting icon above.

Below is the North Platte River about a 30 min. walk from our cabin. One of my favorite fishing holes. This area has all burned.

IMG-2639.jpg

Thanks for the good wishes.

The fall colors this year are spectacular--I guess one of the benefits of the hot dry weather.

Uploading pictures is easy.

Go to this link and follow the prompts. . You need to create an internet address for the photo in order to paste onto the picture posting icon above.

Below is the North Platte River about a 30 min. walk from our cabin. One of my favorite fishing holes. This area has all burned.

Thank you for the image tip. Here's a pic from 8 days ago on Pancake Rocks between Divide and Cripple Creek. It was about 7.5 mile hike out and back with a 1700 ft elevation gain.

Pancake-Rocks2.jpg

Last edited:
You have said you used to vote Republican and campaigned for some. What issue(s) led you to vote R in the past? Clearly you are very liberal now.

I haven't changed much at all. I am for fiscal responsibility, free trade, and a basic understanding of science, as a GUIDE for sensible policies. A Lugar-Bowen-Bush-Romney-McCain Republican. We are called Democrats now, since the GOP was hijacked by a grifter.

Last edited:
I haven't changed much at all. I am for fiscal responsibility, free trade, and a basic understanding of science, as a GUIDE for sensible policies. A Lugar-Bowen-Bush-Romney-McCain Republican. We are called Democrats now, since the GOP was hijacked by a grifter.

The GOP was hijacked by the more extreme side of the party before Trump was even in the mix. I see the same happening on the left. Thanks to mainstream media monetization focus and social media, there is no place for centrists or party moderates in today's political landscape, particularly in a shitty two party system.

The GOP was hijacked by the more extreme side of the party before Trump was even in the mix. I see the same happening on the left. Thanks to mainstream media monetization focus and social media, there is no place for centrists or party moderates in today's political landscape, particularly in a shitty two party system.
Yeah, Ol' Joe sure is a lefty extremist. Too bad he kept those centristy centrists like Warren and Sanders from getting the nomination.

Reactions: mashnut
People will look back and come to understand the beginning of the end was the Tea Party movement. They should also note that the "revolt" was originally aimed at the GWB response to the Great Recession. Only later did they turn their ire on Obama, and were then normalized by the Republican Party as a whole.

People will look back and come to understand the beginning of the end was the Tea Party movement. They should also note that the "revolt" was originally aimed at the GWB response to the Great Recession. Only later did they turn their ire on Obama, and were then normalized by the Republican Party as a whole.

Really? What was so awful about the tea party? Weren't they about fiscal responsibility? I think the Republican party went off the rails when it was hijacked by religious extremists.

The media made Trump. They continue to make Trump. If not for the billions in free media, he likely doesn't win the 2016 primaries. No one loves Trump more than the dying cable networks.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Really? What was so awful about the tea party? Weren't they about fiscal responsibility? I think the Republican party went off the rails when it was hijacked by religious extremists.
May I remind you what happened to Dick Lugar?

Reactions: bigmac76
OS....I am with you here, for the first time in the last 10 presidential elections, I will be voting for a Democrat...Joe Biden.
I am 64 years of age and it saddens me that Trump and all the senate GOP lost their way and they didn't stand up to his chaotic ways out of fear for losing their elected positions.
I will still vote mostly republican but no way in hell I will vote for Trump.
Note: I voted John Kasich as a write in in 2016 as he seemed to be the only adult on the stage at the end of the R primaries.

Last edited:

You are certainly not alone here, but I have never understood why people want to identify what they believe with certain people. Political parties are about ideas, not about people. People come and go, ideas remain. As far as Trump is concerned, his accomplishments are by in large consistent with the GOP agenda that has been around for decades. Yeah, I don't like Trump's off-putting demeanor, but that doesn't override more important ideas. As I've said often, Trumpism will be gone, Ideas stay.

That said, I'd vote for Romney in a nanosecond if I could. I thought he was the best candidate in decades and nothing he has said or done (even though I disagree with some of that) as dissuaded me.

Reagan indeed had a lot going for him and he was an outstanding president. But he legitimized the libertarian influence in conservatism which I strongly disagree with.

It's not a perfect world. People aren't perfect. Ideas are my refuge and I think should be everybody's.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
As far as Trump is concerned, his accomplishments are by in large consistent with the GOP agenda that has been around for decades. Yeah, I don't like Trump's off-putting demeanor, but that doesn't override more important ideas.
Does "off-putting demeanor" include corruption, lawlessness, and ineptitude?

Reactions: outside shooter
How to they compare in terms of "homocidal negligence"?

(Carl Bernstein's description)

You always claim to be the science and data guy, yet you cite Bernstein as an authority for homocidal negligence standard of care?

You are wasting my time.

As far as Trump is concerned, his accomplishments are by in large consistent with the GOP agenda that has been around for decades.

You mean reducing free market economics through tariffs (higher taxes)?

Or were you referring to his disregard for fiscal conservatism (higher revenue than expenses in periods of economic expansion)?

Or were you referring to his attempted manipulation of Federal Reserve and Company actions through repeated threats and public criticism?

You mean reducing free market economics through tariffs (higher taxes)?

Or were you referring to his disregard for fiscal conservatism (higher revenue than expenses in periods of economic expansion)?

Or were you referring to his attempted manipulation of Federal Reserve and Company actions through repeated threats and public criticism?

One of the the techniques the fire fighters used to fight the forest fire I posted about was to light back fires thereby depriving the conflagration of fuel to keep advancing. I see tariffs on China the same as a back fire.

Fiscal conservatism is overrated. Frederick Hayek, hardly mentions it.

Trump talks about a lot of stuff I wish he'd shut up about. Going after the Fed is one. Going after the courts is another. Life isn't perfect.

Thanks for responding. I can underatand how you feel about Trump. For the most part, I agree with CO's post above, except that Trump has lost my vote. He's just not good enough. Neither is Biden.

That said, the way the left and the media treated Romney, and then Kavanaugh tells me it doesn't matter who Pubs run, the attempts to destroy them will be relentless and without bounds. My ballot will be mostly R (I like Mike![Moore]), and I'm torn between writing-in TommyCracker and MTIOTF at the top. Probably flip a coin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT