ADVERTISEMENT

FBI Crime Report Ouy Today

They are too high on meth and heroin in WV to commit violent crimes. I'm not kidding. It's a serious problem there.

I haven't looked but what is the petty theft rate in places like WV? I'll try and find the article I read recently but it basically showed that bigger crimes happen in bigger cities. But the crime rate in rural Appalachia is just as high. The crimes are more in the burglary realm though.

Pretty low actually...

JDB, you bringing up race and culture made me stop, think, and research about what is meant by race and culture.

For example is race something you are born with as in heredity. Are Blacks more prone to become criminals from birth.

Is culture then about the environment and family into which you were raised? Does culture then determine the likelihood of becoming a criminal.?

Is a Black male born and raised on the South side of Chicago more likely to end up in jail than a Black son of a college professor born and raised in Ann Arbor, Michigan?

Finally, why would the combination of heredity and environment be any different as factors in determining whether a Black or White becomes a criminal ?

My response here covers most of these hoot

You are missing the point. It isn't black vs. white or any other skin tones. It's a cultural issue. The fact that black people commit disproportional crime, are less likely to care about education, have kids in wedlock, have active parents that positively influence their growth, etc. isn't really a difference in melanin. It's a byproduct of culture.

For example, Ben Carson (even if you hate his politics), was a world renowned pediatric neurosurgeon. Robert Smith was/is an immensely successful private equity investor.

I don't fundamentally believe black people or brown people or white people or yellow skin tones are nearly as likely to predict outcomes or behavior than culture and environment. Another example would be - I have a few Korean friends from IU and grad school that are hilarious, very outgoing, etc. If you contrast that with Chinese colleagues I've interacted with, including recently on a deal, it's a much different vibe and experience. I don't fault Chinese people or think they are genetically deficient. But, their culture is even more rigid and disciplined, which molds who people are as they grow.
Are we not saying the same thing? It just had a much more negative effect on the black community.

And I don't disagree that there are way too many young black men killing other young blacks. I'm saying that it's the result of bad policy in the 60's that led to the decline of families, not because of the color of their skin like it was destined to happen regardless. If you could travel back in time and take the shitty .gov programs out of the picture, I argue that we wouldn't be where we are today. We can argue that it might be a different set of problems, but I don't think it's this set of problems.
That focus is what got us in this spot. Perverse incentives for being a single mom. Uncle sugar pays single moms and makes sure dad doesn't come around by cutting off the money if he does.

Where your plans taking you, big dog? Winnetka?

Dude, I grew up in friggin' Glencoe. I think I'd know a bit about the North Shore. I also have spent enough time in Naperville to know it's a pretty damn good place to raise a family. It's ironic that you are anti-DuPage Valley yet skew right in your posts.

One of the biggest issues with the North Shore is that it's full of bleeding heart liberals.
Surely you both would agree there is no price to be placed, politically, monetarily or otherwise on the difference between old and new money. Growing up in Glencoe I would have thought JDB would understand this inherently.

Surely you both would agree there is no price to be placed, politically, monetarily or otherwise on the difference between old and new money. Growing up in Glencoe I would have thought JDB would understand this inherently.

That isn’t the point though. The guy buying a 4,500 sq ft house in Naperville isn’t going to be able to afford anything close to that in Lake Forest (nothing even that small), Deerfield, Northbrook, Northfield, HP, Winnetka, Glencoe, Wilamette, etc.

His options are move way NW or go to Naperville. If i had the choice, I choose Naperville, St Charles, Hinsdale, York, etc. over Palestine, Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, Lake Zurich.

That isn’t the point though. The guy buying a 4,500 sq ft house in Naperville isn’t going to be able to afford anything close to that in Lake Forest (nothing even that small), Deerfield, Northbrook, Northfield, HP, Winnetka, Glencoe, Wilamette, etc.

His options are move way NW or go to Naperville. If i had the choice, I choose Naperville, St Charles, Hinsdale, York, etc. over Palestine, Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, Lake Zurich.
Definitely a no-go on Palestine myself as well.

Reactions: BradStevens
My best friend lives in Lincoln park. Another very close friend too. Right down the street. A college teammate lives in Naperville. Naperville is the American dream realized. Twice the house as the other two. Great schools. Minimal crime. When family is driving the ship I’ll take Naperville for an idyllic upbringing

• Sad
Reactions: ChicagoFineForNow

I'd go to Munster or Crown Point. Just as nice a way cheaper. And closer to downtown.

@ChicagoFineForNow dont sad face me. You’re doin everything just right. I haven’t seen a single misstep from you. But neither of my friends in Lincoln park have yards and their homes are well over a mil. You’ll see when you get kids.
My crusades about the North Shore are mostly TIC. JDB is right that there is a lot of luxury beliefs that lead to progressive virtue signaling. I want out of the state entirely at some point.

I grew up in Glenview, JDB in Glencoe. I'm pretty sure people from Glencoe don't even consider Glenview the North Shore. Glenview has Hispanics.

Raising a family in the city would be interesting. Conceivably you could do it with the correct private schools and a lot of $. I saw a girls HS Cross Country team run by a couple tweakers and dope fiends in the middle of a drug deal the other day. Heartbreaking.

My crusades about the North Shore are mostly TIC. JDB is right that there is a lot of luxury beliefs that lead to progressive virtue signaling. I want out of the state entirely at some point.

I grew up in Glenview, JDB in Glencoe. I'm pretty sure people from Glencoe don't even consider Glenview the North Shore. Glenview has Hispanics.

Raising a family in the city would be interesting. Conceivably you could do it with the correct private schools and a lot of $. I saw a girls HS Cross Country team run by a couple tweakers and dope fiends in the middle of a drug deal the other day. Heartbreaking.
Both of my friends are successful and have wives who are also successful and work real jobs. Careers. Schools all of it are incredibly pricey

Dude, I grew up in friggin' Glencoe.

a9cb76d9-bb05-41aa-8ef7-1c76d80a6ee3_text.gif

bb2ca554-f427-4fa3-be75-f4e22d7b790f_text.gif

b3f75a4b-ec3d-4e36-9d1c-52da51493111_text.gif

Does spending 3 summers at Fort Sheridan as a kid give me North Shore cred? 😄

Schools aren’t known for being as strong. But otherwise, I wouldn’t disagree. Cheaper and lower taxes.
Probably not but I don't think they are that far off. For Indiana both Munster and CP are pretty highly rated. Several other Lake County districts one would want to avoid though.

CP in particular would be home sweet home for ChiFine.

I Agree. Massachusetts being 2nd to last counters a whole lot being discussed here.

Actually in Boston as I am typing this - fascinating contrast to NYC to be frank. NYC is a hot mess, homeless people all over, walking drug zombies everywhere, trash all over the streets, reeks of weed anywhere between Midtown and Central Park, cluster**** of traffic.

Boston, while a confusing and harder city to navigate in many respects, is much cleaner, had some homeless people by the South Station area, but traffic was relatively modest, plenty of people walking/biking but wasn't like playing frogger.

Even though MA is relatively blue, the vibe is just different. Felt like people cared about the city and were less raucous - perhaps the differential in # of tourists plays a part of that.

Kamala Harris has not explicitly supported "defunding the police." In fact, during her vice presidential campaign in 2020, Harris consistently emphasized her opposition to the idea of defunding law enforcement. However, her stance has focused more on reforming the police rather than reducing or eliminating funding.

Here are some key points on the matter:

### Public Statements
1. **Interview with ABC’s *Good Morning America* (June 2020)**:
- Kamala Harris clarified that she does **not support defunding the police**, stating:
> “I think that a big part of this conversation really is about reimagining how we do public safety in America, which I support... We have confused the idea that to achieve safety, you put more cops on the street instead of understanding to achieve safe and healthy communities, you put more resources into public education, affordable housing, homeownership, job creation.”
- This statement emphasizes her support for *reallocating* some resources from police budgets to community programs that address underlying causes of crime.

2. **2020 Democratic National Convention Speech**:
- Harris supported a call for police reform, including a ban on chokeholds, racial profiling, and the establishment of national standards for police use of force, but she made no mention of defunding law enforcement agencies.

### Senate Votes and Legislative Record
Harris has supported legislation aimed at reforming policing practices rather than defunding departments. For example:
- **Justice in Policing Act (2020)**: As a senator, she co-sponsored this bill, which seeks to ban chokeholds, no-knock warrants in drug cases, and racial profiling. It also aimed to create a national police misconduct registry, but the bill did not propose cuts to police budgets.

### Misinterpretation and Criticism
Some critics have suggested that Harris supports defunding the police due to her progressive stances on criminal justice reform and her endorsement of reallocating some police funds to other services, but she has repeatedly clarified her position. While she has aligned with calls for reform, she has rejected the notion of defunding law enforcement agencies.

In summary, **Kamala Harris has not supported defunding the police** but has advocated for rethinking and reforming policing practices, with an emphasis on community investment and accountability.
This took me 5 seconds to find:

CNN —
Vice President Kamala Harris voiced support for “defund the police” in a radio interview in June 2020 amidst nationwide protests for police reform, just months before denouncing the movement after she had joined the Biden presidential campaign.

Harris said in the June radio interview the movement “rightly” called out the amount of money spent on police departments instead of community services such as education, housing, and healthcare, emphasizing that more police did not equate to more public safety.

“This whole movement is about rightly saying, we need to take a look at these budgets and figure out whether it reflects the right priorities,” Harris said on a New York-based radio program “Ebro in the Morning” on June 9, 2020, adding that US cities were “militarizing police” but “defunding public schools.”

Kamala Harris said "defund the police" movement "rightly" questioned size of police budgets
Harris said in the June radio interview the movement “rightly” called out the amount of money spent on police departments instead of community services such as education, housing, and healthcare, emphasizing that more police did not equate to more public safety.

I think the social element is unique to black culture. No different than the million tik tok videos of blacks behaving badly at Walmart. Flash mobs etc. Gang prevalence. If you back out black males we don’t have a homicide problem in this country. Black incarceration rate is 5x that of whites. 1-80 blacks are in prison. Think of the percent convicted not in jail.
I guess you've never watched Justified?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Dude, I grew up in friggin' Glencoe. I think I'd know a bit about the North Shore. I also have spent enough time in Naperville to know it's a pretty damn good place to raise a family. It's ironic that you are anti-DuPage Valley yet skew right in your posts.

One of the biggest issues with the North Shore is that it's full of bleeding heart liberals.
Glencoe!!! BigTime!!!

What year did you graduate?

CNN —
Vice President Kamala Harris voiced support for “defund the police” in a radio interview in June 2020 amidst nationwide protests for police reform, just months before denouncing the movement after she had joined the Biden presidential campaign.

“This whole movement is about rightly saying, we need to take a look at these budgets and figure out whether it reflects the right priorities,” Harris said on a New York-based radio program “Ebro in the Morning” on June 9, 2020, adding that US cities were “militarizing police” but “defunding public schools.”

Kamala Harris said "defund the police" movement "rightly" questioned size of police budgets
That aligns exactly with the first point in the post I provided, from her June 2020 GMA appearance.

CNN —

Did you listen to what she said?

I don't think many would disagree that investment in communities BEFORE crime becomes an issue and addressing the issues that lead to high crime are the correct ways to go about solving a crime problem, would they?

That aligns exactly with the first point in the post I provided, from her June 2020 GMA appearance.

Did you listen to what she said?

I don't think many would disagree that investment in communities BEFORE crime becomes an issue and addressing the issues that lead to high crime are the correct ways to go about solving a crime problem, would they?
We can talk about allocation of resources. That’s fine. We would probably agree on a lot (although I disagree that high-crime neighborhoods need fewer police. So do many residents).

But saying Harris never explicitly supported the “defund the police” movement is false.

We can talk about allocation of resources. That’s fine. We would probably agree on a lot (although I disagree that high-crime neighborhoods need fewer police. So do many residents).

But saying Harris never explicitly supported the “defund the police” movement is false.
Agree, but is there really a movement anywhere to have less police in high-crime neighborhoods?

I've been a part of discussions with the City of Los Angeles on this kind of topic and all of the conversations were around not asking police to be the first point of contact on such a wide variety of interactions and/or to be master of such a wide and disparate variety of skills. The LAPD budget is the highest it has ever been and that's with many responsibilities reallocated to other professionals better equipped to handle them. Shortfalls in LAPD ranks aren't from not having the budget for it.

Reactions: BradStevens
Agree, but is there really a movement anywhere to have less police in high-crime neighborhoods?

I've been a part of discussions with the City of Los Angeles on this kind of topic and all of the conversations were around not asking police to be the first point of contact on such a wide variety of interactions and/or to be master of such a wide and disparate variety of skills. The LAPD budget is the highest it has ever been and that's with many responsibilities reallocated to other professionals better equipped to handle them. Shortfalls in LAPD ranks aren't from not having the budget for it.
The problem is when you have a shortage it impacts the broader community as well. Slower response times etc. not showing up for certain stuff etc.

I’ve written here and discussed for years the problem of mission creep in our institutions—using our military, schools, and police to perform functions those institutions and their people are not designed or trained to handle. Agree with that part 1000%.

That said, we have to use some common sense. Sending social workers out to deal with potentially violent situations, for example, needs to be guarded against and many times, eye witness reports/call ins misjudge situations.

I’ve said since 2020, linking mental health reform to “defund the police” is a bad political and rhetorical device.

I’ve written here and discussed for years the problem of mission creep in our institutions—using our military, schools, and police to perform functions those institutions and their people are not designed or trained to handle. Agree with that part 1000%.

That said, we have to use some common sense. Sending social workers out to deal with potentially violent situations, for example, needs to be guarded against and many times, eye witness reports/call ins misjudge situations.

I’ve said since 2020, linking mental health reform to “defund the police” is a bad political and rhetorical device.
Appreciate your engagement on this. Every interaction a city has with a citizen is unique and presents different dangers and different opportunities. The movement that I've seen hasn't been to take money away from police and send social workers out to deal with potentially violent situations. I think part of the problem is that we've somehow misidentified that every interaction is a highly dangerous situation.

I fully appreciate the danger that police officers face every day, so please don't misconstrue this as minimizing the dangers that they face. The challenge is trying to figure out how to evaluate those interactions appropriately and as human individuals. It's not easy, but it's a challenge worth undertaking.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The problem is when you have a shortage it impacts the broader community as well. Slower response times etc. not showing up for certain stuff etc.

Totally get that. It's likely never been harder to be a police officer. But that's not a budget cutting issue. From what I've been able to find (and I could certainly be wrong about this), the St. Louis police budget has only gone up. That's the case for the City of Los Angeles. It's difficult, but there are paths forward that address the concerns of all citizens if we make it a priority.

Totally get that. It's likely never been harder to be a police officer. But that's not a budget cutting issue. From what I've been able to find (and I could certainly be wrong about this), the St. Louis police budget has only gone up. That's the case for the City of Los Angeles. It's difficult, but there are paths forward that address the concerns of all citizens if we make it a priority.
It was a broader deal. Police departments were defunded (budget in some circumstances used for other things) so it led to less cops, coupled with the blm attacks and there was an unprecedented number of resignations and early retirements. Soros DAs added to the resignations. So now budgets have been increased but people don’t want the job. Reporting is a mess etc. I actually had happy hour with about 30 cops yesterday. Half got out at the first opportunity. And they’re young. 45. I don’t know the answer. These guys are no degree required etc

MM66, noticed in the piece you posted it mentioned a shortage in police officers in St. Louis.

Indianapolis has the same problem in spite of increases in pay and funding for public safety.

Could it be the problem isn't defunding the police?

A more simple explanation may be that being a police officer just isn't a career young adults in larger cities want.

In other words, in the final analysis it really isn't a conservative or liberal thing after all.

MM66, noticed in the piece you posted it mentioned a shortage in police officers in St. Louis.

Indianapolis has the same problem in spite of increases in pay and funding for public safety.

Could it be the problem isn't defunding the police?

A more simple explanation may be that being a police officer just isn't a career young adults in larger cities want.

In other words, in the final analysis it really isn't a conservative or liberal thing after all.
The problem is the summer of love attacks on cops from Harris and her band of lunatics gave rise to mass resignations and early retirements. Add in Soros DAs and forget it. You want to put your butt on the line for a soros da and a bail project?

It was a shitty job to begin with that not to be a dick but attracted bottom feeder applicants. If they don’t want to do it who will? We could raise their pay significantly and make the qualifications better and possibly get better cops in the process - but i don’t know

Squad politics that first year was a disaster on every front at every level of gov. But remember hoot that’s not Harris anymore. She’s a gun-toten fracker

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT