ADVERTISEMENT

Fauci in quarantine

Sometime before 80% of us have it, herd immunity will kick in. So not everyone will get it.

But the secret is to spread it out so the medical community is not overwhelmed as they were in Italy. Once people are stacked up in hallways the death rate will go up.

The other big secret appears to be viral load. You might get the disease passing someone on a hiking trail but it appears that will be much less problematic than sitting near someone infected at a restaurant for an hour.

In addition, there are dozens of clinical trials going on for treatments. The less the infection rate is before an effective treatment by definition the more people will have it after an effective treatment. And of course there is a potential for the mythical vaccine at some future date.

All of that is the reasoning for the cautious opening. If we can keep the spread close to 1.0, then we can keep health facilities from being overwhelmed and push more infections into the better treatment zone. The question everyone is seeking, how much can we open the door?

Wife just came back from Aldi's. Said there were a few "morons" (her words) there, not wearing masks, not keeping their distance, etc. Said there was one unmasked lady there who was coughing. A store employee (masked) approached and quietly said something. No real exchange occurred, but that lady immediately abandoned her cart and left.

The less the infection rate is before an effective treatment by definition the more people will have it after an effective treatment. [...] ...push more infections into the better treatment zone.
This. Better treatment (no magic bullet, but just incremental improvement based on "learning on the job") is the best we can count on in the near term. If I can avoid getting infected for another couple months, then maybe they will have learned how to better treat people like me than the approach they would take today. That may or may not involve new or repurposed pharmaceuticals.

Not wearing a mask at Aldi's or other places in public is no less rude than spitting in someone's face. It shows contempt for others and a self superiority complex.
Some people have just dug in their heels. It's the equivalent of a six year old hollering "You're not the boss of me!" See my exchange with DANC on the free football board.

Wife just came back from Aldi's. Said there were a few "morons" (her words) there, not wearing masks, not keeping their distance, etc. Said there was one unmasked lady there who was coughing. A store employee (masked) approached and quietly said something. No real exchange occurred, but that lady immediately abandoned her cart and left.

I had to go into Kroger this morning to get the stuff they did not give us in pickup yesterday. Almost no one was wearing a mask.

Reactions: mike41703
I had to go into Kroger this morning to get the stuff they did not give us in pickup yesterday. Almost no one was wearing a mask.
I think people have had enough. No way they will comply with any re-tightening is there's a spike in infections. Heck, we haven't even hit a plateau and people are already letting down their guard.

On to the next phase of the grand experiment. Will you guys miss me when I'm gone?

I think people have had enough. No way they will comply with any re-tightening is there's a spike in infections. Heck, we haven't even hit a plateau and people are already letting down their guard.

On to the next phase of the grand experiment. Will you guys miss me when I'm gone?

Being 59 with diabetes, I may not outlast you. It really is strange the hatred for masks that exist. Do this many people really think they are so good looking that we would rather get the disease than miss an opportunity to see their face?

Being 59 with diabetes, I may not outlast you. It really is strange the hatred for masks that exist. Do this many people really think they are so good looking that we would rather get the disease than miss an opportunity to see their face?
I'm going to posit that it may stem simply from laziness. It's not like they have masks on the shelf at CVS or WalMart or Kroger. You have to actually make an effort to get them, or at least ask for them. If they aren't being provided by the retail establishment of by ones workplace, a lot of people just aren't going to bother. Then they'll get all butthurt and defensive when called on it.

I'm going to posit that it may stem simply from laziness. It's not like they have masks on the shelf at CVS or WalMart or Kroger. You have to actually make an effort to get them, or at least ask for them. If they aren't being provided by the retail establishment of by ones workplace, a lot of people just aren't going to bother. Then they'll get all butthurt and defensive when called on it.
Spot on. If they were at Kroger on the shelf next to the check out we’d see more people wearing them.

Reactions: 76-1
Spot on. If they were at Kroger on the shelf next to the check out we’d see more people wearing them.

Gee, I wonder why they're so hard to find.

It costs little to nothing to take an old t shirt and cut the sleeve off and make a mask out of it. I get that it’s debatable on reopening the economy and how/when to do it. Our collective leadership fails completely when they don’t stipulate businesses can only reopen to customers now if they require people entering the building to wear a mask inside. No mask = no entry. Any mask will do. Bandanas. It doesn’t have to be an N95 mask. It boggles the mind that this simple act isn’t done wholesale.

It's a sad, ignorant political statement not to wear a mask. It shows support for Trump. It shows disdain for science. It shows opposition to liberals. It shows disregard for education.

Here's another reason why the unmasked are being stupid.

In 2019, before COVID struck, about 30 million Americans had no health insurance.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/07/28/health-system-covers-90-percent-americans/

Obviously, this number will go up in 2020 as businesses close and employee insurance terminates.

The average costs for treating COVID-19 vary widely, like from around $3,000 if not hospitalized to $70,000+ If hospitalized. Other variables include whether treatment was in-network and whether it was at emergency rooms.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-covid-19-treatment-testing-costs-2020-3

Regardless of the costs, nearly one-half of Americans either have nothing in their savings accounts or do not have a savings account at all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/06/nearly-half-of-americans-have-no-savings-survey.html

The virus itself would cause enormous financial hardship, even without a lockdown and related restrictions. It's sad that so many are claiming it doesn't matter whether we take steps to prevent the spread.

Local governments ought to do their level best to get 5 packs of masks mailed to their constituents and have individually packaged masks made available outside the entrance of every store that sells groceries (because everyone "needs" food)...

I'd take that one step further and say that I think local government ought to do their best to make P100 Masks available (if their healthcare personnel already have what they need), at or below cost, to anyone over 60 who feels they need it (such as those with underlying conditions)...

It's a sad, ignorant political statement not to wear a mask. It shows support for Trump. It shows disdain for science. It shows opposition to liberals. It shows disregard for education.

Here's another reason why the unmasked are being stupid.

In 2019, before COVID struck, about 30 million Americans had no health insurance.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/07/28/health-system-covers-90-percent-americans/

Obviously, this number will go up in 2020 as businesses close and employee insurance terminates.

The average costs for treating COVID-19 vary widely, like from around $3,000 if not hospitalized to $70,000+ If hospitalized. Other variables include whether treatment was in-network and whether it was at emergency rooms.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-covid-19-treatment-testing-costs-2020-3

Regardless of the costs, nearly one-half of Americans either have nothing in their savings accounts or do not have a savings account at all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/06/nearly-half-of-americans-have-no-savings-survey.html

The virus itself would cause enormous financial hardship, even without a lockdown and related restrictions. It's sad that so many are claiming it doesn't matter whether we take steps to prevent the spread.
Believe me the people I’ve witnessed aren’t making a political statement. They’re just lazy. Hence if it was in the checkout line then maybe. Maybe. But it ain’t politics.

Reactions: 76-1 and UncleMark
Local governments ought to do their level best to get 5 packs of masks mailed to their constituents and have individually packaged masks made available outside the entrance of every store that sells groceries (because everyone "needs" food)...

I'd take that one step further and say that I think local government ought to do their best to make P100 Masks available (if their healthcare personnel already have what they need), at or below cost, to anyone over 60 who feels they need it (such as those with underlying conditions)...
I love this idea.

You think half the people in walmart I see not wearing masks are making a political statement? Lmao. Hardly.

There is definitely a political element, at least from what I've seen in the Bloomington West Kroger as well as Walmart. Saw a guy and his family (2 little ones) in Walmart the other day and he was wearing a Trump t-shirt. Not only were none of them wearing masks, but they were also intentionally flaunting any notion of social distancing. And I kind of felt they were intentionally trying to annoy people who were masked...

If you wear one, you’re a filthy liberal. If you don’t, full-on patriotic ’Murrrican because they’re following his example. This ‘blue states bad’ narrative is having tangible consequences.

That's what they do over here. First a pack of surgical masks back in Feb. Then a set of reusable last month.
I am supposed to pick up a new & improved reusable next week I think.

Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66
[
If you wear one, you’re a filthy liberal. If you don’t, full-on patriotic ’Murrrican because they’re following his example. This ‘blue states bad’ narrative is having tangible consequences.

Brother i can promise you the people in walmart today that weren't wearing masks sure as hell weren't making a political statement. they were mostly young people. older people (african american/white/asian) were all wearing masks. these stores need to make a mask mandatory upon entry.

as an aside i just read la liga starts june 12. we'll see....

[

Brother i can promise you the people in walmart today that weren't wearing masks sure as hell weren't making a political statement. they were mostly young people. older people (african american/white/asian) were all wearing masks. these stores need to make a mask mandatory upon entry. an aside i just read la liga starts june 12. we'll see....

Not sure what happens when the first guy tests positive after the restart. Quarantine the entire squad then what? Relegation clubs will sue.
The solution to the football conundrum is more complex than finding the vaccine.

Not sure what happens when the first guy tests positive after the restart. Quarantine the entire squad then what? Relegation clubs will sue.
The solution to the football conundrum is more complex than finding the vaccine.
Not to hijack but apparently five already have tested positive. it's a shit show for sure.

Reactions: sglowrider

Let me add that some if the people who suggest others of us are just living in fear are the same people who dare not leave their house unarmed. Roughly 16,000 people are murdered in a year. One has to completely disregard all facts to not believe more than that have died from COVID in 7 weeks.

Maybe they think their gun protects them from a virus?

Believe me the people I’ve witnessed aren’t making a political statement. They’re just lazy. Hence if it was in the checkout line then maybe. Maybe. But it ain’t politics.
Several of the ones I’ve run into are. I went out to a farmers market yesterday, my first time out at all. Socially distance , 90% of people with masks. One of the vendors I was buying something from didn’t have one on, and all vendors were supposed to. I asked him why he didn’t have his and he went into a long rant. Also a friend yesterday got out of her car at the grocery with a mask . Two guys in their twenties purposely walked over to her and started coughing on her and laughing. I’m sure some people are lazy. But plenty of people think it’s a hoax and are making it political.

Reactions: sglowrider
[

Brother i can promise you the people in walmart today that weren't wearing masks sure as hell weren't making a political statement. they were mostly young people. older people (african american/white/asian) were all wearing masks. these stores need to make a mask mandatory upon entry.

as an aside i just read la liga starts june 12. we'll see....
Actually, I interpret what you described in your first paragraph as a very direct political statement -- young people making it clear they don't care about protecting vulnerable people, mostly older than they.

It isn't a new message at all, basically the same as this one:

I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)​

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby​

Why don't you all f-f-f-f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)​

Actually, I interpret what you described in your first paragraph as a very direct political statement -- young people making it clear they don't care about protecting vulnerable people, mostly older than they.

It isn't a new message at all, basically the same as this one:

I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)​

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby​

Why don't you all f-f-f-f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)​
Fair point.

Pence Self-Isolating After Aide Tests Positive for Coronavirus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-aide-is-positive-for-coronavirus/ar-BB13SmO6

(Bloomberg) -- Vice President Mike Pence is self-isolating away from the White House following his press secretary’s diagnosis of Covid-19 on Friday, said three people familiar with the situation.

The vice president didn’t attend a meeting on Saturday with President Donald Trump and top military officials.

Pence tested negative for coronavirus infection on Sunday, one of the people said. He and Trump have been tested regularly. He’s staying at his home at the U.S. Naval Observatory in Washington out of an abundance of caution, said the people, who asked not to be identified because his isolation hasn’t been publicly announced.​

You think half the people in walmart I see not wearing masks are making a political statement? Lmao. Hardly.

The people at this meeting weren't being lazy. They were making a definite political statement, both with their words and their actions...

6ef3a3c5616336e4380552cb2b1471bc

State Rep. Mike Jones, R-York Township, right, talks to an attendee of a meeting Jones held at Wisehaven Event Center Saturday, May 9. More than 150 mostly maskless people attended the meeting about reopening business, despite state rules forbidding large gatherings because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Another GOP led "protest" in a battleground state that has a Dem Governor. What a shock...

"In a rambling opening address, Jones bemoaned the fact that Scott Wagner lost the gubernatorial race to Wolf, called Wolf’s handling of the pandemic a “travesty,” criticized Mayor Helfrich for “drinking the governor’s Kool-Aid" with his cautious approach to the pandemic, and said the state Department of Health did not have the best and brightest medical minds working on the state’s response.

Jones, who attended a ReOpen Pa rally in Harrisburg April 20, said most Republican state lawmakers are working to reopen businesses via various pieces of legislation.

“Republicans are voting for business; the Democrats aren’t,” he said. “But we’ve seen some cracks in the armor. We do not have veto-proof votes. And we don’t even have 100 percent of the Republicans that have the guts to vote the right way on everything.”

“I think we got Wolf on the ropes,” he added. “The last 48 hours has been extremely encouraging. It’s just like a boxing match. It’s time to knock him out. Because when you call his bluff and you fight, they cave. They don’t have the horses. They don’t have the soldiers. They don’t have the guts. … The bark is way, way worse than the bite.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pennsylvania-rep-mike-jones-organized-190600669.html

The people at this meeting weren't being lazy. They were making a definite political statement, both with their words and their actions...

6ef3a3c5616336e4380552cb2b1471bc

State Rep. Mike Jones, R-York Township, right, talks to an attendee of a meeting Jones held at Wisehaven Event Center Saturday, May 9. More than 150 mostly maskless people attended the meeting about reopening business, despite state rules forbidding large gatherings because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Another GOP led "protest" in a battleground state that has a Dem Governor. What a shock...

"In a rambling opening address, Jones bemoaned the fact that Scott Wagner lost the gubernatorial race to Wolf, called Wolf’s handling of the pandemic a “travesty,” criticized Mayor Helfrich for “drinking the governor’s Kool-Aid" with his cautious approach to the pandemic, and said the state Department of Health did not have the best and brightest medical minds working on the state’s response.

Jones, who attended a ReOpen Pa rally in Harrisburg April 20, said most Republican state lawmakers are working to reopen businesses via various pieces of legislation.

“Republicans are voting for business; the Democrats aren’t,” he said. “But we’ve seen some cracks in the armor. We do not have veto-proof votes. And we don’t even have 100 percent of the Republicans that have the guts to vote the right way on everything.”

“I think we got Wolf on the ropes,” he added. “The last 48 hours has been extremely encouraging. It’s just like a boxing match. It’s time to knock him out. Because when you call his bluff and you fight, they cave. They don’t have the horses. They don’t have the soldiers. They don’t have the guts. … The bark is way, way worse than the bite.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pennsylvania-rep-mike-jones-organized-190600669.html

Its somewhat ironic what he is selling.

Reactions: outside shooter
Why do people say Aldi’s? It’s “Aldi” god dammit. There isn’t somebody named Johnny Aldi who owns the joint.

Have you no decency? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT