ADVERTISEMENT

Fascinating take on Trump Evangelicals

iuwclurker

All-American
Jul 6, 2015
I remember pundits being surprised when Trump dominated the Evangelicals in the South Carolina primary (iirc). They didn't realize the visceral potency of "They want to take Christmas from us." Here's a description of Trump Evangelicals:

Why are those who have been on the vanguard of “family values” so eager to give a man with a sordid personal and sexual history a mulligan?

Part of the answer is their belief that they are engaged in an existential struggle against a wicked enemy—not Russia, not North Korea, not Iran, but rather American liberals and the left....

Many evangelical Christians are also filled with grievances and resentments because they feel they have been mocked, scorned, and dishonored by the elite culture over the years. (Some of those feelings are understandable and warranted.) For them, Trump is a man who will not only push their agenda on issues such as the courts and abortion; he will be ruthless against those they view as threats to all they know and love. For a growing number of evangelicals, Trump’s dehumanizing tactics and cruelty aren’t a bug; they are a feature. Trump “owns the libs,” and they love it. He’ll bring a Glock to a cultural knife fight, and they relish that.​

The author of this piece is Evangelical and seems to think Trump is a catastrophe for Evangelicals. He quotes this from a discussion with another:

In speaking about the widespread, reflexive evangelical support for the president, Coppock—who is theologically orthodox and generally sympathetic to conservatism—lamented the effect this moral freak show is having, especially on the younger generation. With unusual passion, he told me, “We’re losing an entire generation. They’re just gone. It’s one of the worst things to happen to the Church.”​

Ouch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Incidentally, this one:

“Conservatives & Christians need to stop electing ‘nice guys.’ They might make great Christian leaders but the United States needs street fighters like @realDonaldTrump at every level of government b/c the liberal fascists Dems are playing for keeps & many Repub leaders are a bunch of wimps!”​

reminds me of this:

Let's nominate and elect a real liberal for a change. It's time for us to actually step up and not just step sideways. Our party has been stepping sideways since 1980. I'm done with that. Let's make a difference.

Of course, someone will sputter False Equivalence, but that's not the point on this detail. The point is, there's a mindset in certain groups on both sides that their pet solutions are desirable to the vast majority.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT