ADVERTISEMENT

Family vacation in Hilton Head…

I’m in Anna Marie, FL right now and it SUCKS. Red Tide came in. If you love hundreds of dead fish and the entire beach smelling like a dumpster, this is the island for you. I won’t be back.

Reactions: kkott
Skip the "tourist traps" like Hudsons and Skullwhatever.
GO TO: Up the Creek Pub, Big Bamboo....just as good of food without a wait.

Understand it’s not the islands fault. But everything I had read indicates this happens later in the summer in these parts. An “usual” summer they say right now…figures. But no, I won’t come back here in the summer months. We experimented this year by going Gulf instead of Atlantic. Won’t be burned twice. It does suck to drop a few K’s and be stuck inside. Not exaggerating at all on the fish kill and smell. It’s awful. Today is better…but we lost Monday-Wednesday which stinks.

The Atlantic side is way way better with respect to red tide. More wave action and less stagnant water. There are pockets of red tide but it is mostly sheltered estuary inlets.

Gotta hate when the wife is on her period during vacation.
I’m in Anna Marie, FL right now and it SUCKS. Red Tide came in. If you love hundreds of dead fish and the entire beach smelling like a dumpster, this is the island for you. I won’t be back.

Wait... is he speaking metaphorically? If so, it sounds more like a medical condition.

Yeast infection perhaps?

As they say in my neck of the woods, fish means yeast! In fact, people mistakenly call it fish yeast and chips.

Last edited:
True but that advantage is offset by ugly brown beaches
I guess you've never been to Jupiter, Juno Beach and points north. White sand, blue waters, free parking, no crowds

junobeach_banner-copy.png

Reactions: largemouth
I guess you've never been to Jupiter, Juno Beach and points north. White sand, blue waters, free parking, no crowds

junobeach_banner-copy.png
Have been to all of those places many times and live part-time on the beach in Boca. The beaches are not as nice as those on the gulf side. "Ugly" was the wrong word...no beach is ugly.

Just back from Charleston. Re-took Ft. Sumpter from the Secesh. Had the best shrimp and grits ever. Toured the USS Yorktown. Hot as hell, but it was humid too, so OK.
Enjoy walking the battery but man you can get way hot. Head to the air conditioning at 5 Church for cold beer and a salad to cool off.

The Secesh sure did like to show off.

But I love history, so it was a good trip.

There was beer there too. (Who knew?)
Trunk Bay Beach in St Johns National Park in the USVI has a concession stand that serves good food, Red Stripe and drinks on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Stumbled on it, and I was like "how does any restaurant in Cruz Bay stay in business?"

Have been to all of those places many times and live part-time on the beach in Boca. The beaches are not as nice as those on the gulf side. "Ugly" was the wrong word...no beach is ugly.
I agree that Gulf beaches are nicer with little kids. Tiny waves, shallow for a long way out, more shells, etc. Some areas like Sanibel do clearly have whiter sand, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT