ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Ball Srimmage info ?

CF77

Redshirt
Oct 17, 2007
Anyone know the schedule this week . I'm getting radio silence from them .

Stiever was 92-94 by the 3rd, was around 90 the first couple frames. The fastball looks more electric, and more swing a miss with the fastball. He’s going to make some money after this year. Clear cut Ace of the staff.

I’m curious to know what approach IU takes with their staff in the fall/winter to try to increase their velocity, if any? Do they implement any type of weighted ball training? Long toss training? Weight-lifting? A combination perhaps? It seems some schools promote velocity training (Vanderbilt, Oregon State, UNC) but others don’t. It seems like you might have some insight into that. Thanks.

Stiever was 92-94 by the 3rd, was around 90 the first couple frames. The fastball looks more electric, and more swing a miss with the fastball. He’s going to make some money after this year. Clear cut Ace of the staff.

I’m curious to know what approach IU takes with their staff in the fall/winter to try to increase their velocity, if any? Do they implement any type of weighted ball training? Long toss training? Weight-lifting? A combination perhaps? It seems some schools promote velocity training (Vanderbilt, Oregon State, UNC) but others don’t. It seems like you might have some insight into that. Thanks.
It’s a combination of all those things. programs around the country and IU use all those elements of long toss, weighted ball, strength training/conditioning/nutrition. Everyone’s obsessed with velocity increases.

Coaches at the ncaa level only get a certain amount of time to spend with these kids, so while coaches implement their programs, and works that program, the player really has to put in some extra work to really see gains in that area. A lot of it really comes down to your scouting and recruiting of kids. Being able to identify kids who are projectable to make those gains over 2-3 years, and being able to recruit those big arms that have some polish.

The reality of the extra work that has to be put in can be a lot for kid to take in sometimes, especially adjusting to new environment away from home, and going to class, etc. it can be a bit overwhelming for some. Some kids pan out, and some kids don’t. Some kids peak early, and some blossom later, it’s just the reality of the situation.

Great point . Sometimes I forget that these guys are 18-20 years old . I must say outside of one incident , we’ve had some real good character guys the last 4 years . Gotta be a lot pressure on such young guys . I know I wasn’t as responsible at that age . And they really are great with the extra stuff . Time with the fans and the kids and stuff . Even after rough losses I’ve noticed they give there time .

Reactions: jmbennett
It’s a combination of all those things. programs around the country and IU use all those elements of long toss, weighted ball, strength training/conditioning/nutrition. Everyone’s obsessed with velocity increases.

Coaches at the ncaa level only get a certain amount of time to spend with these kids, so while coaches implement their programs, and works that program, the player really has to put in some extra work to really see gains in that area. A lot of it really comes down to your scouting and recruiting of kids. Being able to identify kids who are projectable to make those gains over 2-3 years, and being able to recruit those big arms that have some polish.

The reality of the extra work that has to be put in can be a lot for kid to take in sometimes, especially adjusting to new environment away from home, and going to class, etc. it can be a bit overwhelming for some. Some kids pan out, and some kids don’t. Some kids peak early, and some blossom later, it’s just the reality of the situation.

Thanks for the insight. It’s good to hear that IU isn’t one of the schools that dissuades kids from velocity training. While great velocity isn’t the only thing when it comes to pitching, it certainly helps. And it almost seems like a prerequisite anymore to get drafted.

Completely agree. CF77 And i were sitting behind the scouts that night... they were talking to each other, and very intent/interested on taking notes.

And i was finally able to watch the Netflix fastball movie. Great recommendation! Loved the hfers talking about the intimidation! And awesome science behind the measuring. What a perfect, beautiful game!!

Completely agree. CF77 And i were sitting behind the scouts that night... they were talking to each other, and very intent/interested on taking notes.

And i was finally able to watch the Netflix fastball movie. Great recommendation! Loved the hfers talking about the intimidation! And awesome science behind the measuring. What a perfect, beautiful game!!
It’s a fantastic documentary, and while science says a ball doesn’t rise, I’ve been in the batters box and have seen it happen and agree with all those HOFers who say it does. Today they wound say it has good “ride” in the zone. We know it’s an optical illusion, but that’s what it looks like because of the spin. Everything in that documentary is 100 percent dead on in all aspects.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT