ADVERTISEMENT

Fake Missile Threat to Hawaii

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot

busy.gif

Apparently, he had pressed the wrong buttons -- like pressing the 'send' button too soon on your screen! Hint!

Last edited:
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Heads should roll—and not necessarily the guy who pushed the button.

How the flying fak does someone make such a mistake?

Not exactly the 'my ass accidentally pressed against the button' type mistake that you do with your mobile phones. (I had a Norwegian partner in Dubai do that like 9 times within an hour once!)

Last edited:
Hawaii residents said 'I love yous' and 'goodbyes' thinking they had just minutes to live after bogus missile warning
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/hawaii-missile-threat-warning-2018-11848793

Dad Adnan Mesiwala told Reuters: "This morning we were actually getting ready to go to the beach. I've got a two month old, my family was together.
"When we got the alarm, we were actually terrified. We're on the 36th floor of our hotel, and we didn't know what to do. We were kind of frantic, we got our shoes on, we're about to come downstairs when the lobby told us to stay indoors. We're still nervous. We were up 36 floors. We put the baby in the bathroom. We didn't know what else to do - in a stroller - in case we had to run.
It was a frantic morning. My wife was in tears and we didn't know what to do. "

Last edited:
Got a text from my friend in Maui. Can't even imagine how frightening that was. The explanation sounds really fishy to me. But I may just be used to the world turning into a giant John LeCarre novel.

Got a text from my friend in Maui. Can't even imagine how frightening that was. The explanation sounds really fishy to me. But I may just be used to the world turning into a giant John LeCarre novel.

I wonder if Trump will take credit for this too? Or at least acknowledge it and show some empathy -- he has some skin on the ground after all with Trump International Hotel there.

Edit:

Silly me.

Donald Trump Stayed On The Golf Course As Hawaii Panicked
He didn’t even tweet about the false missile alarm as soon as he put away his golf clubs.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...201e4b04f3c55a32242?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

The president was on the course at his Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach, Florida, after the alert was issued at 1:09 p.m. EST, according to press pool reports. His motorcade didn’t leave the club for Mar-a-Lago until 1:38 p.m.

Last edited:
Amazing not even a comment from him. Although, I'm not sure he knows Hawaii is a state. Plus they are a blue state, so they don't really matter.

Well I have been on the fence, but this false missile warning and NO Tweet helps me confirm. Trumps a Racist. I can't believe I have denied it for so long.

Reactions: Lucy01
Hawaii residents said 'I love yous' and 'goodbyes' thinking they had just minutes to live after bogus missile warning
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/hawaii-missile-threat-warning-2018-11848793

I have a sister-in-law, niece, and a dozens of friends in Hawaii, and nearly all on Oahu which would be the targeted. Heard from a lot of them. The reactions ranged from panic, to resignation, to total disbelief (certainty that it was a false alarm).

Someone didn’t follow procedures laid out in checklists and there will be consequences. They reevaluate their procedures, training and process checklists and make revisions. One person shouldn’t be able to make a mistake like this.

I have a sister-in-law, niece, and a dozens of friends in Hawaii, and nearly all on Oahu which would be the targeted. Heard from a lot of them. The reactions ranged from panic, to resignation, to total disbelief (certainty that it was a false alarm).

Someone didn’t follow procedures laid out in checklists and there will be consequences. They reevaluate their procedures, training and process checklists and make revisions. One person shouldn’t be able to make a mistake like this.

Seems a lot of the Pacific side of things have been pretty sloppy lately. The ships and now this. Don't procedures and systems get stress tested? This is like an own goal/unforced errors ie no duress. What happens if the real thing happens?

The stress level it created may have caused a few heart attacks.

Last edited:
Seems a lot of the Pacific side of things have been pretty sloppy lately. The ships and now this.
The stress level it created may have caused a few heart attacks.
You must be referring to the two Navy ship collisions, which was ultimately due to several years of cutting corners on training due to funding reductions combined with no decrease in mission requirements. However, this one was the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency (a state agency) that screwed it up. I'd guess someone will sue. If anyone had a heart attack that can be proven to be related, they could probably sue and get some money. Won't do anything for anyone that died, but might help the family out.

You must be referring to the two Navy ship collisions, which was ultimately due to several years of cutting corners on training due to funding reductions combined with no decrease in mission requirements. However, this one was the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency (a state agency) that screwed it up. I'd guess someone will sue. If anyone had a heart attack that can be proven to be related, they could probably sue and get some money. Won't do anything for anyone that died, but might help the family out.

I can't remember this ever happening even in the middle of the Cold War right?

My brother and sister in law live on Oahu, he is an E-5 in the Army. We got text messages from them both passing on their love. Surprisingly they didn't really panic.

My brother in law said he was hungry and made eggs and sausage as they waited for the inevitable. He told me "if I'm going out I'm not going out hungry."

I can't remember this ever happening even in the middle of the Cold War right?
There were lots of mistakes and accidents involving nuclear weapons and false alarms about nuclear attacks due to human error and technical glitches during the Cold War, and after. Probably hundreds of them. I have a couple in mind and I Googled and Wikipedia has them listed and some others - and that isn't an all inclusive list by any means.

Last edited:
My hats off to President Trump for not over reacting:) He is a man that knows how to react under pressure instead of doing something silly;)
He knows what the real problems are and there not about stupid social issues :rolleyes:

My brother and sister in law live on Oahu, he is an E-5 in the Army. We got text messages from them both passing on their love. Surprisingly they didn't really panic.

My brother in law said he was hungry and made eggs and sausage as they waited for the inevitable. He told me "if I'm going out I'm not going out hungry."

How cool is that!

There were lots of mistakes and accidents involving nuclear weapons and false alarms about nuclear attacks due to human error and technical glitches during the Cold War, and after. Probably hundreds of them. I have a couple in mind and I Googled and Wikipedia has them listed and some others - and that isn't an all inclusive list by any means.

Not many considering its over a span of 70+ years of the nuclear age.

That type of mistake should not get made but it is a reminder of where we currently find ourselves...also kind of pisses me off that from Clinton to Bush to Obama we have constantly kicked the can down the road on North Korea and now we have zero options...We just have to live with a fat prick with a had haircut acting up whenever he needs something. And we actually have to take him seriously now.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

Most I’ve heard from figured out quickly that it was almost certainly a false alarm. The sirens didn’t go off and they would for a real incoming attack. My old golf group that plays every Saturday morning didn’t even stop playing. They’re all military or retired military. However, based on my Facebook feed several were shook up by the experience.

Most I’ve heard from figured out quickly that it was almost certainly a false alarm. The sirens didn’t go off and they would for a real incoming attack. My old golf group that plays every Saturday morning didn’t even stop playing. They’re all military or retired military. However, based on my Facebook feed several were shook up by the experience.

Yeah they were concerned but not panicking. From housing there isn't much you'll be able to do so they just figured whatever happens happens.

My friend was at a swap meet and said a lot of the vendors left their shops unattended to rush home to families. They didn't know for almost 30 minutes. I bet a lot of people don't know, or don't remember that a siren would go off for something like that.

to get an idea of how a lot of people reacted, here's some video of a group in an island hopping plane from soon after the alert was issued, to the all clear..

considering all, i think they handled it as well as could be expected.

Reactions: Noodle
What I don't understand is why it took so long to send out that it was a mistake? Any ideas?

My friend was at a swap meet and said a lot of the vendors left their shops unattended to rush home to families. They didn't know for almost 30 minutes. I bet a lot of people don't know, or don't remember that a siren would go off for something like that.
The Aloha Stadium Swap Meet has been around for almost 40 years. Been there a few times, but anyway, I’m sure there were quite a few people that reacted that way. I hope no one had a heart attack or died in an accident rushing home.

The Aloha Stadium Swap Meet has been around for almost 40 years. Been there a few times, but anyway, I’m sure there were quite a few people that reacted that way. I hope no one had a heart attack or died in an accident rushing home.
This isn't the one on Maui at the high school. I love the swap meets there. I hadn't thought about accidents, that would be horrible.

What I don't understand is why it took so long to send out that it was a mistake? Any ideas?
It’s Hawaii - the state is very inefficient. Could have been a dozen screwups between sending the false alarm and figuring out they sent out a false alarm and finally determining the right person to contact to fix it.

Last edited:
Now that enough time has passed, I’ll fly another possibility out there for the conspiracy theorists among us - someone hacked Hawaii’s alert system.

Now that enough time has passed, I’ll fly another possibility out there for the conspiracy theorists among us - someone hacked Hawaii’s alert system.
That was my first thought, but didn't want to be considered a conspiracy nut. That's what I assumed happen before we heard the story.

That was my first thought, but didn't want to be considered a conspiracy nut. That's what I assumed happen before we heard the story.
If you're inclined toward the conspiracy theory, what's the motivation for whoever did the hacking? Who is the likely culprit?

If you're inclined toward the conspiracy theory, what's the motivation for whoever did the hacking? Who is the likely culprit?

North Korea has the most direct benefit from panic begat by a report of a North Korean nuclear missile attack. Plus they have a documented history of hacks against targets that have upset them . . . and the timing is suspect with Tillerson opening the sanctions against North Korea conference today . . . without the Chinese and Russians being invited.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
North Korea has the most direct benefit from panic begat by a report of a North Korean nuclear missile attack. Plus they have a documented history of hacks against targets that have upset them . . . and the timing is suspect with Tillerson opening the sanctions against North Korea conference today . . . without the Chinese and Russians being invited.
What benefit would they get from this?

Aliens - for grain silos?
What is that leads so many to move towards outlandish fantasies as history? Slightly off topic...the long legacy of fake histories tied into extremist groups is interesting. Here is a lefty take on the backwaters of right wing fake histories. https://www.alternet.org/right-wing/guide-modern-far-right
Turns out that alien intervention is very much alive as an explanation for why stuff happened in those backwaters.
In the fractured and constantly cross-fertilizing galaxy of extremist conspiracy culture, the white Moundbuilders — now known on the far right as “the Solutreans” — share a stage with other characters from an ancient and racially glorious but “suppressed” past: ancient Nordic-looking astronauts, biblical Aryan giants, Nazi scientists under the South Pole, and the occasional inter-dimensional alien in league with the Jews.​
Maybe it is the ancient Nordic astronauts Trump's base is hoping will immigrate here? Ever hear of the "Solutreans"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solutrean#Solutrean_hypothesis_in_North_American_archaeology
I was also unaware that the fake history of moundbuilders was used as justification for genocide against Native Americans by Andrew Jackson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT