ADVERTISEMENT

Face the reality

Isn’t game plan isn’t lack of scorers and shooters. Recruiting is his issue
This could not be more true.

It seems that everyone but Archie knew IU was severely lacking in shooters last season.

I have no earthly idea why he didn't remedy that problem in the off-season.

Reactions: IUgradman
Disagree. If you can't shoot there isn't much you can do offensively via scheme... as opposing teams just pack 5 into the lane.
Bob Knight created all sorts of offense against man defenses when there was no 3 point shot or deep shooting threat. You can always hustle your ass off, set screens, cut, fake, move the ball around quickly, and wear out the defense. You can still get the ball into the post: it is a little harder, but it is still possible. You can still get higher percentage shots as close to the basket as you can. You can still get fouled, which results in free throws and taking players out of the game. I'm not seeing set plays or an offense to consistently achieve these things.

Reality is that this team lacks luster and consequently is not providing entertainment, as we once knew of it. Rutgers was not that good tonight and very beatable. Sadly, IU played worse and was relatively easily beaten. I don’t see us making the NCAA tourney.

Disagree. If you can't shoot there isn't much you can do offensively via scheme... as opposing teams just pack 5 into the lane.

What is Archie doing to fix it? You see Justin putting in that grind and becoming a 3 point marksman his senior year? This is getting scary. I mean 307 in year 1, 311 last, and this year 301st in 3 point %. We have no shooters coming in next year.

I disagree. There was plenty of movement, and screening action that gave us clean looks and paint touches.

He changed up the defense, called timeouts and even got his first T of the season.

I’ll admit that leaving Devonte in the game late in the second half was regrettable but there are two reasons we lost this game. Shooting and turnovers. Simple.

We can debate about who coaches all day, but a lack of shooters is going to plague this team all year.

It’s worse than Crean’s 2014 team and that’s sad. Under 30% from three on the year is a disgrace and an embarrassment at this level.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Does IU have a coach that is a shooting guru? It appears that they don’t.
The shooting should have improved from last season. It is inconceivable that we shoot as badly as we do. We should have been shopping for three point shooters on the transfer portal. Archie is completely to blame. It’s just hard to fathom.

Reactions: bbmedora
The shooting should have improved from last season. It is inconceivable that we shoot as badly as we do. We should have been shopping for three point shooters on the transfer portal. Archie is completely to blame. It’s just hard to fathom.
The weird thing is Archie was a 90% free throw shooter and over 40% 3 point shooter in college. Why we have nobody who can shoot consistently is a real head scratcher.

Rutgers was 4-15 from 3 so neither team shot well from deep.

Both teams played great defense. Rutgers defense is elite especially @ the RAC. With one player under 6'4 there is length everywhere. Effort was there though from IU. Smith impressed me the most. Brunk played well too. TJD had a freshman night.

Rutgers only loses Carter and Yeboah this season so this team is no fluke.

I disagree. There was plenty of movement, and screening action that gave us clean looks and paint touches.

He changed up the defense, called timeouts and even got his first T of the season.

I’ll admit that leaving Devonte in the game late in the second half was regrettable but there are two reasons we lost this game. Shooting and turnovers. Simple.

We can debate about who coaches all day, but a lack of shooters is going to plague this team all year.

It’s worse than Crean’s 2014 team and that’s sad. Under 30% from three on the year is a disgrace and an embarrassment at this level.
Also, kkott had several posts recently about having players with some junkyard dog in them. Rutgers was a team full of dog. The Hoosiers did not match the intensity.

If you really think that was a well put together offensive game plan then we must be watching a different game. There's possessions where we look like we have no idea what the hell we're doing. It's a basketball team that is literally hard to watch.

Rutgers was 4-15 from 3 so neither team shot well from deep.

Both teams played great defense. Rutgers defense is elite especially @ the RAC. With one player under 6'4 there is length everywhere. Effort was there though from IU. Smith impressed me the most. Brunk played well too. TJD had a freshman night.

Rutgers only loses Carter and Yeboah this season so this team is no fluke.
Rutgers was very beatable last night. IU had decent looks but missed and couldn't handle the ball. They have to be the lowest IQ team at IU in a long time. Very poor play.

When are we actually going to improve? It's year 3 and if anything, IU's shooting has gotten worse. It's been a problem since Archie got here 3 years ago and he still hasn't fixed it.

At some point it HAS to be about the coaching, the constant excuses don't ad up as he's had plenty of time to recruit shooters and so far he's recruited zero. Maybe at this point it's safe to say that coach Miller doesn't value that part of the game enough, either way this is unacceptable and I bet deep down even he knows that.

Last edited:
What is Archie doing to fix it? You see Justin putting in that grind and becoming a 3 point marksman his senior year? This is getting scary. I mean 307 in year 1, 311 last, and this year 301st in 3 point %. We have no shooters coming in next year.

No I don't see it getting any better, sadly. His only hope IMO is to attempt to go the grad transfer market again. And Hunter/ Franklin going to have to make a major leap forward in their 2nd year.

When are we actually going to improve? It's year 3 and if anything, IU's shooting has gotten worse. It's been a problem since Archie got here 3 years ago and he still hasn't fixed it.

At some point it HAS to be about the coaching, the constant excuses don't ad up as he's had plenty of time to recruit shooters and so far he's recruited zero. Maybe at this point it's safe to say that coach Miller doesn't value that part of the game enough, either way this is unacceptable and I bet deep down even he knows that.

I doubt it changes anytime soon. Unfortunately, the underclassmen are awful. Phin has been improved, but he still makes less than one 3 a game on average.

This was the problem. We have 4 guards who are crap passers anyway trying to feed the post when the defenders are DTing.........add in the fact that TJD really doesn't have good skills when it comes to establishing position against defenders of equal or greater size..............

I guess Fred isn't as dumb as some on here think..........he saw these guys practicing and immediately announced that it was going to be a "complete rebuild". he was right.

I think if healthy Phin would be a 40% 3 pt shooter. He still looks like he's screwed up. Unfortunate.

I doubt it. I guess he could if he didn't attempt that many per game. I'm starting to think he isn't as good as everyone had hoped he would be. I thought he would be an all conference player by his junior season. I've moved that to his senior season.

Problem is no true leader on this team who can take a game over. Miller can coach is ass off but he cant play the game for them.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
IU fired the shooting guru

If you really think that was a well put together offensive game plan then we must be watching a different game. There's possessions where we look like we have no idea what the hell we're doing. It's a basketball team that is literally hard to watch.

I agree there are possessions where we look out of sync. Find me a team that this doesn’t happen too.

We got plenty of open looks to win the game. We shot 32% from the field and 20% on threes and turned the ball over 16 times.

I’m not saying we had a perfect game plan, or coach is immune from criticism. But to say he cost us the game is just wrong imo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT