ADVERTISEMENT

F1: 2021/22 Season

I remember that Texas race. Those CART cars were really downright dangerous. The speeds they were reaching were insane. That was such a strange time for indycar.

6G for 80% of the race? That's suicidal. Even Tom Gun Cruise would passed out... just like his dad did!

New production car record at the Ring. Yikes to both this dude's ginormous balls and the car which is production in the sense that I guess you can buy one if you had the money.

• Love
Reactions: sglowrider
My god they’ve nerfed the Mercedes. But kudos to Lando. Kids a star. Also, hearing Lewis signed for two years which leads me to believe Bottas is gone at end of year and Russell comes over?

My god they’ve nerfed the Mercedes. But kudos to Lando. Kids a star. Also, hearing Lewis signed for two years which leads me to believe Bottas is gone at end of year and Russell comes over?

Hope so... Bottas has been a disappointment so far.

If GR get passed over because Lewis likes Bottas being no threat, maybe McLaren could get him on loan. Still a Merc. It’s clear Danny is done. Cut your losses there.

If GR get passed over because Lewis likes Bottas being no threat, maybe McLaren could get him on loan. Still a Merc. It’s clear Danny is done. Cut your losses there.

Today has got to be Ricciardo's worst nightmare. Norris damn near puts it on the pole and Daniel is stuck in P13. I get it for the first few races but it's not getting any better. It's getting worse. I don't see McLaren dumping Ricciardo just yet, but one more season like this and yeah, I can see it. I rather think it's amusing. I'm not much of a Ricciardo fan.

I really hope Russell gets the call up the Mercedes. His terrible luck aside, he deserves it. The only reason to keep Bottas around is continuity. If they keep Bottas at Mercedes again in 2022 I hope Russell gets another opportunity somewhere and takes it, though I can't imagine where it might be. Mercedes doesn't deserve Russell if they try and shelve him at Williams another year.

If Danny manages to cost them 3rd in constructors, you gotta let him walk. Heck, Bottas would be an upgrade at this point.

If Danny manages to cost them 3rd in constructors, you gotta let him walk. Heck, Bottas would be an upgrade at this point.

Lando may single handedly keep them in 3rd. Ferrari seem unable to consistently put both cars up there. They're both starting outside the points tomorrow. They could do well and finish P7 and P8 with Ricciardo getting shut out, and still lose ground to McLaren with Lando finishing P4 or better. Leclrec not starting Monaco was a killer.

I guess it comes down to whether Mercedes is playing a long game or a short game. And does Toto care? He's probably out in two years, along with Hamilton.

If Toto's concern in only the next two seasons then I suppose a case could be made for retaining Bottas. Why upset the current dynamic with something unknown? Hamilton certainly doesn't want Russell there. But if they are thinking beyond the next two seasons then it makes less sense to keep Russell at Williams, unless they don't see him at Mercedes ever. That is, they feel as if their options to move on from Hamilton are somewhere else other than Russell.

I guess it comes down to whether Mercedes is playing a long game or a short game. And does Toto care? He's probably out in two years, along with Hamilton.

If Toto's concern in only the next two seasons then I suppose a case could be made for retaining Bottas. Why upset the current dynamic with something unknown? Hamilton certainly doesn't want Russell there. But if they are thinking beyond the next two seasons then it makes less sense to keep Russell at Williams, unless they don't see him at Mercedes ever. That is, they feel as if their options to move on from Hamilton are somewhere else other than Russell.

But Toto owns like 30% of the team doesn't he?

That penalty on Lando was unbelievable. It was an absolutely stupid move on Checo’s part considering the big picture. Not sure how Lando gets penalized for Checo’s poor decision.

That penalty on Lando was unbelievable. It was an absolutely stupid move on Checo’s part considering the big picture. Not sure how Lando gets penalized for Checo’s poor decision.

And then Checo does the same thing twice to Leclerc, though the Checo moves on Leclerc were much more egregious. Perez pulled off a 6th place finish, but hardly his best race.

That is, they feel as if their options to move on from Hamilton are somewhere else other than Russell.
Lando? Admittedly I’m not entirely aware of the McLaren/Mercedes relationship and they are more customer now rather than partner but.....anybody see this as a possibility. Of the youngsters on the grid Lando has talent only surpassed by Max.

Lando is signed thru ‘24. I really think McLaren will be really strong with the new regs. It wouldn’t surprise me to see them winning really soon. They clearly have the engine.

Reactions: larsIU
Looked like a racing incident to me.
Hot take:

F1 should just do qualifying and simulate the race because if you’re handing out penalties every time contact is made resulting in an accident there ain’t going to be racing anymore.

Neither of them were giving an inch. I thought that’s what we wanted. Earlier in the lap Max left the track to maintain position. I wouldn’t have given a penalty for that either.

Here’s my take.

That’s an extremely dangerous corner. It’s not a 2 wide corner. Max as the leader had the right to go defensive into the corner and pinch Lewis off, which he did. Lewis was never going to make that corner as shallow as he took it. He was always going to wash up on exit. He was never ahead of Max. It was 100% his fault, and could’ve been MUCH WORSE. That car could’ve easily rolled driver first into the fence through the sand. On top of that, had Lewis just dropped in line be would’ve passed Max on the next straight. That Merc was flying in a straight line. It’s one thing to stuff it in at Spa in turn 1 or any of the corners after the Austria straights. This isn’t one of those corners. Lewis knows better.

Last edited:
Here’s my take.

That’s an extremely dangerous corner. It’s not a 2 wide corner. Max as the leader had the right to go defensive into the corner and pinch Lewis off, which he did. Lewis was never going to make that corner as shallow as he took it. He was always going to wash up on exit. He was never ahead of Max. It was 100% his fault, and could’ve been MUCH WORSE. That car could’ve easily rolled driver first into the fence through the sand. On top of that, had Lewis just dropped in line be would’ve passed Max on the next straight. That Merc was flying in a straight line. It’s one thing to stuff it in at Spa in turn 1 or any of the corners after the Austria straights. This isn’t one of those corners. Lewis knows better. Schumacher was the same way in this position. It’s like they get this weird mindset when they know they’re not in the fastest car anymore.
I’d agree with everything except that Max knew Lewis was there. Max could have gone wide and made the corner albeit in 2nd.
It’s a tough call. You want people to race but not crash. That’s almost impossible really.

Lewis was clearly saving the car earlier. Merc had this in the bag the entire time…lol. Made it exciting for TV I suppose.

This won’t age well. Can you imagine any of the old guard whining like this? The entitlement just oozes.

Lewis was far too aggressive there. I feel like Lewis had his back to the wall in this chase and his attitude was that he was winning the battle, or they were both ending up in the dirt. That only Max ended up in the dirt was just gravy. Lewis' complaining over the radio on how he was "ahead of Max" was absurd. How do you hit a dude in the rear with your front tire when you're ahead.

Lewis went into that high speed corner way too hot and there was no way he could hold that line and he didn't. Pushed right into Max's rear. Of course he survived to win the race, because...Lewis.

Lewis was far too aggressive there. I feel like Lewis had his back to the wall in this chase and his attitude was that he was winning the battle, or they were both ending up in the dirt. That only Max ended up in the dirt was just gravy. Lewis' complaining over the radio on how he was "ahead of Max" was absurd. How do you hit a dude in the rear with your front tire when you're ahead.

Lewis went into that high speed corner way too hot and there was no way he could hold that line and he didn't. Pushed right into Max's rear. Of course he survived to win the race, because...Lewis.
#blessed

But yeah. Hamilton’s mistake but if you look online you’d think he was plotting this for weeks. Max’s reaction though? Giantwankingmotion.gif. The only thing I would offer is that if you know someone on your inside is coming in hot you leave yourself some room on the outside to bail. leclerc figured that out. I think Max learned a lesson. I remember the good old days when people had to avoid Max. I hope Max doesn’t get haunted by those missing points.

Championship is spicy now though. Start in Hungary oughta be fun.

(Windsor, IMO respects Lewis but doesn't particularly like him. Loves his boy racers in LeClerc, Russell and Lando.)

Last edited:
racefansdotnet-21-07-15-16-51-28-13.jpg

Some_image.width-800.bbe274e.jpg

A little Sunday drive through the streets of Paris... after like a dozen expressos:

How to see the sights of Paris within 8 mins.

This is such a cool little film, and was actually done just as it appears, on an early morning in one take with no permission. But...while the engine sound is that of a V12 Ferrari 275 GTB, it was dubbed. It was actually filmed with a Mercedes 450SL V8, which was only available in a 3-speed automatic. So all of the glorious gear changes were just dubbed in.

Could you imagine trying to get away with doing that today?

This is such a cool little film, and was actually done just as it appears, on an early morning in one take with no permission. But...while the engine sound is that of a V12 Ferrari 275 GTB, it was dubbed. It was actually filmed with a Mercedes 450SL V8, which was only available in a 3-speed automatic. So all of the glorious gear changes were just dubbed in.

Could you imagine trying to get away with doing that today?

I was wondering/confused about the sound. There was no way it was a Merc unless they managed to put some other engine in it.
Imagine if they had a go-pro then?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT