ADVERTISEMENT

F1: 2021/22 Season

This might really hurt them for the P3 fight with McLaren. 3rd and 6th would’ve been much better!

You know this will end up HAM-VER BOT. The only question is...how? Let's watch this play out.

The noise level must be unbelievable for the people who literally live by the streets.

Here in SG, it's a street race but its in downtown CBD. And the spectators are a slight distance from the actual roads, with pavements and barriers.

There is no way Mazepin will manage 78 laps without crashing into a yacht.

That's it. Mercedes pits Lewis at some oddball time. Mazepin bins it and brings out a safety car/red flag. Due to some bizarre (and uniquely Hamilton-like turn of events) Hamilton finds himself P1 due to the freak pit timing and sets up the HAM-VER-BOT. You know it's coming. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
That's it. Mercedes pits Lewis at some oddball time. Mazepin bins it and brings out a safety car/red flag. Due to some bizarre (and uniquely Hamilton-like turn of events) Hamilton finds himself P1 due to the freak pit timing and sets up the HAM-VER-BOT. You know it's coming. ;)
So much for that...how is it that the Mercedes pit problems only seem to happen to him?

Hundreds of millions of dollars spent on intellectual capital, hi-technology, best drivers and then 20cent wheel nut fecks up Bottas' race.

So much for that...how is it that the Mercedes pit problems only seem to happen to him?

Or Russell. Of course, the cynic in me wonders if Mercedes is capable of sacrificing a Bottas P2 to get Hamilton a P5 and get enough points for Lewis to keep the lead in the WDC over Max. Of course it didn't work as Lewis actually fell to P7 anyway. But it wouldn't be the first time Mercedes used Bottas like an old tampon.

I don't really believe that. But yet...as you say, that stuff never happens to Lewis.

And what's up with Daniel? Lapped by Norris. That's gotta hurt.

Or Russell. Of course, the cynic in me wonders if Mercedes is capable of sacrificing a Bottas P2 to get Hamilton a P5 and get enough points for Lewis to keep the lead in the WDC over Max. Of course it didn't work as Lewis actually fell to P7 anyway. But it wouldn't be the first time Mercedes used Bottas like an old tampon.

I don't really believe that. But yet...as you say, that stuff never happens to Lewis.

And what's up with Daniel? Lapped by Norris. That's gotta hurt.
As brilliant as Merc strategy was in Spain it was equally bad in Monaco. Hamilton was basically yelling at them post pit stop saying he could have just stayed out. He wasn't going to pass anyone (and that's whole nother ball of wax at Monaco i.e. the best qualifying and worst race all in one).

Hamilton's pissed now. Baku next where Merc have excelled and Red Bull have struggled then France (who knows) and Austria (where Merc annihilated everyone last year). Wouldn't be surprised is Ham rips off 3 or 4 in a row.

Hank - how'd the iRacing Indy 500 go for you?

Hank - how'd the iRacing Indy 500 go for you?
It was a lot of fun. First time I have done that on iRacing. I ended up P7 in my split, and was on the lead lap. Very early in the race there was an incident that brought out a caution, and another car clipped me slightly in the rear trying to avoid it. I had to pit under the caution. The damage was not much and repairable and I stayed on the lead lap, but the car was not quite right after that. I could keep up and defend well enough, but overtaking wasn't really much of an option.

Still, through attrition and good strategy I got P7. I think 19 were still running. Happy to make it to the end and still on the lead lap. Three hours. Good fun!

EDIT: There were only four American drivers in my race. There were guys from from New Zealand to Japan to Eastern Europe to the UK to France to Brazil to California to Germany in my race. I was the highest finishing American. A dude from Florida was 10th.

Last edited:
Wow, Merc stunk today. Been a long time since that happened!
Mercedes lack of single lap pace is down to not being able to get the Softs into the right window over a single hot lap according to BBC. The longer race pace is up there with the Red Bulls.

Not a surprise that the teams with the illegal flexible rear wings had the top 4 spots covered!! Bloody slow FIA --- why not have the new load tests for Baku where there is a definite advantage of a flexible rear wing rather than delay it till French GP?

Interesting FP3 so far -- but its Baku, always full of incidences.

Max crashes, Mercs have made adjustments but because of the red flag cant get enough track time to figure out if the adjustments are working.
But they are still way off the pace at the moment.

Bottas was 13th fastest and Lewis benefitted from a maga-tow to get 3rd fastest. I cant see them getting anything out of Baku at this current trajectory.

All this will make quali very interesting in a couple of hours time.

Last edited:
Five cars have crashed out of the qualis and one before! Three red flags in Q1 and Q2.

Baku is brutal. So little margin for error for the corners!

FYI: Some live streams for the Nürburgring 24hrs.

Race Commentary:

Porsche 911 on-board:

Merc-AMG GT3 POV:

KTM X-Bow:

Audi R8:

Zee Germans (at least Hamilton) have figured it out again. Out of nowhere. Should be an interesting start. Pretty sure Hamilton will want to get around Leclerc early and let Max deal with him.

I may have already said this but I'm really starting to love GT racing. Please find the first two laps by Kevin Estre in a Porsche on a rain slicked Nurburgring to start the 24hour. From 11th to 1st. What a drive.

It's amazing how much personalisation tuning you can do on the fly with an F1 car. How do they find the time going at 200+mph?

The only regular car I know that you can tweak as much is the Nissan GTR.

My Fanatec sim wheel is almost that cool. And yes I'm wearing Ferrari branded Pumas as my racing shoes.

i-b8RRpkk-X2.jpg

• Love
My Fanatec sim wheel is almost that cool. And yes I'm wearing Ferrari branded Pumas as my racing shoes.

i-b8RRpkk-X2.jpg

Full rig? Triples? Have you seen the new Fanatec Direct Drive? I'm about to waste some more damn money.

I've been mulling over going with something 80/20 for the small footprint. Currently on a single screen 27 inch and an old Thrustmaster and been that way since 2017. Did pick up some v3's a while back. Seriously thinking of upgrading the wheel and adding a rig. IRacing's influx of cash has them producing some really good content and their online racing is second to none. My wife is going to kill me.

Full rig? Triples? Have you seen the new Fanatec Direct Drive? I'm about to waste some more damn money.

I've been mulling over going with something 80/20 for the small footprint. Currently on a single screen 27 inch and an old Thrustmaster and been that way since 2017. Did pick up some v3's a while back. Seriously thinking of upgrading the wheel and adding a rig. IRacing's influx of cash has them producing some really good content and their online racing is second to none. My wife is going to kill me.

Yeah, full rig, and triples. The 80/20 rigs are very nice. I kind of wish I'd gone that way. I have the RSeat S1, with the red seat, obviously. ;-)

rseat-s1-red-black-05.jpg

I did see Fanatec is launching a new lower end DD wheel. I was already thinking about dropping $1200 on a DD1. Now I'm not sure. I have the CSL Elie Wheel Base and could use an upgrade. Just tell your wife that everything costs "around $150." ;-)

Yeah, full rig, and triples. The 80/20 rigs are very nice. I kind of wish I'd gone that way. I have the RSeat S1, with the red seat, obviously. ;-)

rseat-s1-red-black-05.jpg

I did see Fanatec is launching a new lower end DD wheel. I was already thinking about dropping $1200 on a DD1. Now I'm not sure. I have the CSL Elie Wheel Base and could use an upgrade. Just tell your wife that everything costs "around $150." ;-)
Unfortunately she’s good with the googles. So I just start to tell her why this upgrade is better than what I already have. In detail. Her eyes glaze over and I’m golden.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
Unfortunately she’s good with the googles. So I just start to tell her why this upgrade is better than what I already have. In detail. Her eyes glaze over and I’m golden.

In all seriousness, having a rig to mount those V3's to will make a big difference. Not sure how you're set up now but braking consistency is pretty much key, and having the pedals and seat fixed on the rig is a game changer. Tell your wife Hank said so.

Before I bought my rig my wife thought it was stupid, so I mounted my Fanatec pedals to a heavy wood base and braced it against the wall under the desk in my den. Then (and this is key as the den is fairly visible in the home) in order to keep my chair stable I got some BRIGHT ORANGE NYLON ROPE and heavy metal clips and wrapped them around the desk and chair so that when I raced I literally strapped the chair to the desk and clipped in so the chair could not move. It was outrageous. After awhile of this she just said, "Just buy your damn rig and get this shit out of here."

Now I have a dedicated Race Room in the basement. Ha ha ha ha ha.

In all seriousness, having a rig to mount those V3's to will make a big difference. Not sure how you're set up now but braking consistency is pretty much key, and having the pedals and seat fixed on the rig is a game changer. Tell your wife Hank said so.

Before I bought my rig my wife thought it was stupid, so I mounted my Fanatec pedals to a heavy wood base and braced it against the wall under the desk in my den. Then (and this is key as the den is fairly visible in the home) in order to keep my chair stable I got some BRIGHT ORANGE NYLON ROPE and heavy metal clips and wrapped them around the desk and chair so that when I raced I literally strapped the chair to the desk and clipped in so the chair could not move. It was outrageous. After awhile of this she just said, "Just buy your damn rig and get this shit out of here."

Pretty much the bolded part on the pedals. And then something similar to this for the chair:

9lxn00sparu41.jpg

It's time. I'm in a 4th bedroom which more resembles a storage room anyway. Imma bout to requisition it. We only have one kid and a guestroom available already. I've been patient enough although I won't be able to blame my lack of skill on my setup anymore.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
Pretty much the bolded part on the pedals. And then something similar to this for the chair:

9lxn00sparu41.jpg

It's time. I'm in a 4th bedroom which more resembles a storage room anyway. Imma bout to requisition it. We only have one kid and a guestroom available already. I've been patient enough although I won't be able to blame my lack of skill on my setup anymore.

BTW, yesterday I ordered a Buttkicker 2 for my rig. With luck it'll make it here by the weekend.

And this weekend starts three GP weekends in a row!

Reactions: larsIU
I remember that Texas race. Those CART cars were really downright dangerous. The speeds they were reaching were insane. That was such a strange time for indycar.
I like the new direction of Indy Car. More street/road races. Getting better young drivers too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT