ADVERTISEMENT

EZ Rider Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce1

Senior
Sep 11, 2001
a serious question, not flaming. Why isn’t the ignore button an adequate way to manage unwanted or undesirable post/posters ?

There "are" times when the Ignore feature just isn't enough.

Having seen EZ Rider in action in the past I trust both his judgement and his degree of fairness.

He clearly stated his criteria below for any of us who desire to stick around in good standing as a poster.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It normally is, however the idiot that was causing 90% of the problem was trashing every single thread. A lot of damage was done here the past two years, many good posters left.

Hopefully if EZ can keep him out for awhile this place can heal and get back to being a good board for honest exchanges.

a serious question, not flaming. Why isn’t the ignore button an adequate way to manage unwanted or undesirable post/posters ?
See your question above? I spent about two hours cleaning up two threads b/c everytime someone responds to a post the original is in view, so I had to take out the response also. I would rather nip the problem in the bud than chase it around all afternoon.

There's also the issue of some posters being undesirable. You may have him/her on ignore but others prefer to fight it out and threads get hijacked or simply deteriorate into name calling contests. You would have to ignore half the board to avoid all the crap.

The few that get bounced will never be missed -- some will come back with a new name and behave, some will just stay away.

Well, let's just say that blacklisting a poster is the ultimate ignore button . . .

. . . sometimes nanosurgery isn't enough . . . sometimes you just have to amputate for the health of the whole body.

I go back to when EZ and others and I sat watching practice during the Bruce S. days. You know me well. We were friends. Don't be fooled by the handle. I served as mod here too and it sucked. There is no middle ground. People mostly come here to bitch, myself included sometimes. Its our right as fans. Most have paid their dues. There was a time both sides of any issue were welcome to be debated here, though many times it was a name calling mess like today. One huge difference...EZ if you ban a few more, there may just not be anyone left here to debate with. IF the requirement is rose colored glasses only....you can have it. The premium site is only quieter for obvious reasons and that's okay for those who want it. IU FB is a living controversy until it wins. Losing breeds discontent. If you believe banning anyone with a serious concern on the path THEIR beloved program is going, its a dead end. Geeks need to go. But for average fans, where else can they talk about it? You need a serious clarification on what is and is not allowed. I left this site for more than a decade for reasons of geeks and liars and pretenders and biased moderating, some who still reside on the Premium site...good riddance. This place still has problems but its really all the fans have, and since there are only a few, very few, regular posters left here, I simply suggest you tread lightly as you can. The crickets and the same 3-4 posters could take over this place overnight. Ask Mike P....remember what his site looked like once? Look now...fandom for IU is fragile and will be filled with negatives until they win enough to please everyone. Every negative should have a positive to go with it,, and I think that's IU FB in a nut shell. People should try for that, though many will fail. Not everyone with a negative concern is a troll. This is my last go around here...I have hope...but its fragile too....T

Reactions: Flooded Timber
I go back to when EZ and others and I sat watching practice during the Bruce S. days. You know me well. We were friends. Don't be fooled by the handle. I served as mod here too and it sucked. There is no middle ground. People mostly come here to bitch, myself included sometimes. Its our right as fans. Most have paid their dues. There was a time both sides of any issue were welcome to be debated here, though many times it was a name calling mess like today. One huge difference...EZ if you ban a few more, there may just not be anyone left here to debate with. IF the requirement is rose colored glasses only....you can have it. The premium site is only quieter for obvious reasons and that's okay for those who want it. IU FB is a living controversy until it wins. Losing breeds discontent. If you believe banning anyone with a serious concern on the path THEIR beloved program is going, its a dead end. Geeks need to go. But for average fans, where else can they talk about it? You need a serious clarification on what is and is not allowed. I left this site for more than a decade for reasons of geeks and liars and pretenders and biased moderating, some who still reside on the Premium site...good riddance. This place still has problems but its really all the fans have, and since there are only a few, very few, regular posters left here, I simply suggest you tread lightly as you can. The crickets and the same 3-4 posters could take over this place overnight. Ask Mike P....remember what his site looked like once? Look now...fandom for IU is fragile and will be filled with negatives until they win enough to please everyone. Every negative should have a positive to go with it,, and I think that's IU FB in a nut shell. People should try for that, though many will fail. Not everyone with a negative concern is a troll. This is my last go around here...I have hope...but its fragile too....T

Let them speak to themselves ..... like most types of media today, they are okay with speaking in a vacuum. It’s pretty comical actually..... like this place makes a difference

Reactions: IUCol

You make some very good points. Fortunately no one that was doing anything remotely constructive or remotely honest was banned. This is addition by subtraction. Ord and his 11 rebirths was the primary cancer and hopefully he is finds a new forum to destroy.

As EZ has already stated, there is nothing wrong with some negative posts. I think he handled it right and the only ones that were banned were obvious trolls that were only out to wreck the board.

He literally said that he doesn’t care if you have criticism, he was talking about the morons that keep getting banned and create a dozen other user names, and the blatant trolls.

He literally said that he doesn’t care if you have criticism, he was talking about the morons that keep getting banned and create a dozen other user names, and the blatant trolls.
Yeah, the Ordfan nyms were in a class by themselves. Those cancers needed removal. Any others were simple irritants.

Reactions: RBB89
RBB89...perhaps you didn't read his complete post...
"Before you start whining about 1st Amendment rights and democracy etc, there is nothing wrong with criticism, just make it constructive or intended to elicit discourse and don't be a broken record.

Lastly, this is a IU fan forum ... people are expected to wear blinders to some extent. If you want an IU bashing forum ... try GBI, they'll love you."

That needs some clarification...don't you think? Just making certain what is expected. You should try reading everything posted. Perhaps it was just an oversight...or did you just want to flame a bit?

Much of the trolling here is done by so-called pro fans.

"Before you start whining about 1st Amendment rights and democracy etc, there is nothing wrong with criticism, just make it constructive or intended to elicit discourse and don't be a broken record.

Lastly, this is a IU fan forum ... people are expected to wear blinders to some extent. If you want an IU bashing forum ... try GBI, they'll love you."

That needs some clarification...don't you think? Just making certain what is expected. You should try reading everything posted. Perhaps it was just an oversight...or did you just want to flame a bit?

Hi IUCol, long time no talk. I remember you well and often wondered what became of you.

As for the above, I don't think I can clarify what I said, only restate it in different words. If there is a particular situation you are referring to, lay it on me.

Hey Col . . .

I am comfortable that I understand ez's intent, sufficiently at least. He's not drawing a bright line standard, and I appreciate the reason why - a mod needs some flexibility in the exercise of his/her discretion to meet whatever the circumstances are on the board.

So I don't think any clarification is required . . . and in fact might be detrimental to effective moderation. It's part of the price we poster concede when we use someone else's site, especially a free site.

Reactions: 76-1 and muubell
In fairness the last time ez tried the clean up this board him and two other mods destroyed it and it still doesn't have the daily activity of over 8 years ago. Hopefully this time around the banning will not be as hastily done.

EZ I have been around long enough to know your posts and efforts in the past. I have no problem with the warning given to the board, although I agree with IUCol it is a little general. Maybe that is how it should be. I just hope the timeout button applies equally to all sides. Name calling and personal attacks have not been undertaken just by folks who have negative views of some aspect of the program or have expressed concerns. There are some long-time posters who need to evaluate their own willingness to utilize personal attacks and, if they don't, I hope all are treated the same. Tough job EZ, but I do wish you luck.

simply because someone doesn’t complain is not a sign of support ..... it’s more of a reflection of who /what they are that take the time out to fill your inbox....look at the threads and who the name callers are.... Muhammad forbid the other side is held responsible for their posts.... you got a desk next to them also? You should hold some of those guys responsible for their flaming.... you started it .... if I’m banned for this post then reflect on Eddie Murphy’s “I got some ice cream”.....

Whatever ....

Everybody please take a deep breath and relax. I get the feeling there are a number of people who think I'm the new sheriff in town and I'm going to throw half of you in jail and start over. I've been here all along .. I was a moderator on Bruce Strom's private board ... I went with him to Peegs private board and with Peegs to Rivals.

I have been deleting and editing posts for years but this board seems to have gotten very bad recently and needs some attention. I guess the last couple of years were not so bad b/c we went to bowls but with the egg we laid this year people are getting mean.

Two people have been blacklisted. If they come back with a new handle and a new attitude no-one will ever know. I don't anticipate blacklisting anyone else.

I'm going to lock this thread before people start choosing sides and shooting it out.

Thanks for your consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT