ADVERTISEMENT

"Expert" walks his predictions back.

What do the other experts say? I feel like I don't need to say this but orange thumb (Trump) and white thumb (Pence) are not experts.

His initial report clearly stated that it was worse case scenario, zero mitigation. Read the report. He didn't retract anything. It's making the case for mitigation/supression. What is so hard to understand

In the (unlikely) absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behaviour, we would expect a peak in mortality (daily deaths) to occur after approximately 3 months (Figure 1A). In such scenarios, given an estimated R0 of 2.4, we predict 81% of the GB and US populations would be infected over the course of the epidemic. Epidemic timings are approximate given the limitations of surveillance data in both countries: The epidemic is predicted to be broader in the US than in GB and to peak slightly later. This is due to the larger geographic scale of the US, resulting in more distinct localised epidemics across states (Figure 1B) than seen across GB. The higher peak in mortality in GB is due to the smaller size of the country and its older population compared with the US. In total, in an unmitigated epidemic, we would predict approximately 510,000 deaths in GB and 2.2 million in the US, not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

His initial report clearly stated that it was worse case scenario, zero mitigation. Read the report. He didn't retract anything. It's making the case for mitigation/supression. What is so hard to understand

In the (unlikely) absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behaviour, we would expect a peak in mortality (daily deaths) to occur after approximately 3 months (Figure 1A). In such scenarios, given an estimated R0 of 2.4, we predict 81% of the GB and US populations would be infected over the course of the epidemic. Epidemic timings are approximate given the limitations of surveillance data in both countries: The epidemic is predicted to be broader in the US than in GB and to peak slightly later. This is due to the larger geographic scale of the US, resulting in more distinct localised epidemics across states (Figure 1B) than seen across GB. The higher peak in mortality in GB is due to the smaller size of the country and its older population compared with the US. In total, in an unmitigated epidemic, we would predict approximately 510,000 deaths in GB and 2.2 million in the US, not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Yeah...this is the newest "hot take" circulating conservative media courtesy of the Daily Wire/Federalist silliness chamber that calls people who actually know what they are talking about "experts" instead of experts. Meanwhile, expert (not "expert") Dr. Fauci is on Instagram Live with Steph Curry getting word out that government officials, both on a local and national scale, were not overreacting to the virus.

Yeah...this is the newest "hot take" circulating conservative media courtesy of the Daily Wire/Federalist silliness chamber that calls people who actually know what they are talking about "experts" instead of experts. Meanwhile, expert (not "expert") Dr. Fauci is on Instagram Live with Steph Curry getting word out that government officials, both on a local and national scale, were not overreacting to the virus.

Italy is happening. Spain is happening. NY is happening. Do the far right extremists simply deny reality? I’m truly baffled by this.

it's a migrating crisis, it's not going to peak everywhere at once.

in X wks NY will hopefully be on the downhill side of this, but other areas of the country will just be coming into where NY is now.
I largely agree, but i presumed the point of shutting the majority of the nation down was to thwart that migration. what's more as cuomo related ny is uniquely vulnerable to this given their concentration of people from all over the world. i would presume more homogeneous cities/states will see far less severity.

I largely agree, but i presumed the point of shutting the majority of the nation down was to thwart that migration. what's more as cuomo related ny is uniquely vulnerable to this given their concentration of people from all over the world. i would presume more homogeneous cities/states will see far less severity.

Its never been about stopping the virus, which is pretty much impossible until natural immunity and/or vaccine. We are trying to SLOW the spread to prevent overloading the healthcare system in any given area.

You can count always count on Ladoga to spread propaganda.

baghdad-bob.jpg

February 26th: 56 cases. Trump: “we’re going down” (in the number of cases)

(one month later)

March 26: 80,200 cases

At the very least, Trump has been reckless with his statements concerning this virus, regardless of the severity of COVID 19. I think that’s the point in this whole matter. He’s essentially been more of a hindrance than a help in dealing with this. I’d hate to see where we’d be if this truly was a pandemic of apocalyptic proportions.

Reactions: Bill4411
You can count always count on Ladoga to spread propaganda.

baghdad-bob.jpg
I posted an article written by another person. I didn't write it and gave no opinion on it. Your hatred is eating you up and you seem not to know it or to know why. Its a pity. Best Wishes.

Dr. Birx also said observed data is not as severe as the models predicted.

Yeah I know when I am in need of RATIONAL medical advice the Federalist is my first choice...

"Conservative website The Federalist has positioned itself in the coronavirus era as the right’s leading voice of COVID-19 skepticism, with its writers seemingly on a reckless campaign across the internet and television to downplay the pandemic’s potential impact and lethality.

The right-wing outlet’s coronavirus coverage hit an astonishing low on Wednesday when Twitter temporarily locked The Federalist’s account after it posted an article by a self-described dermatologist proposing that people deliberately infect themselves with the virus.

In his article, titled “How Medical ‘Chickenpox Parties’ Could Turn The Tide Of The Wuhan Virus,” Douglas Perednia made a bizarre push for getting voluntarily infected with the disease at gatherings in an attempt to develop immunity—a scheme he claimed would “turn the tide” against the pandemic."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-fansite-federalist-hits-low-232017913.html

I was going to start a thread yesterday on this alarming lack of social responsibility from the Federalist. Instead, YOU start a thread using a Federalist link as if they are some sort of legitimate source making a valid statement. Really can NOT make this shit up as the Trumplings circle the wagons...

I stop drinking alcohol and caffeine. I don’t want to be taking anything that might we can my immune system if even only temporary. I wish I could say I was sleeping well but I’m not. I’m taking Advil p.m. which I am still experimenting when to take it. I’m heading towards two meals a day. Trying to walk five miles daily ( great time to bend the rim on my bike)
You're a better man than I. I set out with the best of intentions to utilize this time to "get healthy" but I've done a lousy job. Every grocery store run for me has looked like a scene out of leaving las vegas. as for sleeping, try melatonin if you haven't already. i've found it works way better and doesn't leave me feeling groggy like advil pm. that exercise should help you sleep in time too. i blew my knee out last year and have been debating whether at my age it's worth surgery and rehab to be able to play in my old man league. i can walk, jog, go about my activities of daily living pain free, but couldn't endure contact. i haven't been able to transition not playing to a regular jogging/walking routine. definitely need to.

anyway, add melatonin to that positive lifestyle you've adopted. only good will follow....

Italy is happening. Spain is happening. NY is happening. Do the far right extremists simply deny reality? I’m truly baffled by this.

The US has now overtaken China in terms of more cases than anyone in the world.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

2nd of March, 2020 there were only 100 cases.
As of today, there are 83,672. (China has 81,825)

The problem is so under-reported.

Currently, about 20-22% of the all-new cases in Singapore has been originated by either Americans coming back to Singapore, visiting or Singaporeans who just came back from the States. Every one of them undetected by the thermal scanners at the airport. And all this is despite the massive drop off in travel globally.

Last edited:

Currently, about 20-22% of the all-new cases in Singapore has been originated by either Americans coming back to Singapore, visiting or Singaporeans who just came back from the States. This is despite the massive drop off in travel globally.
55% of our cases are coming out of nyc.

55% of our cases are coming out of nyc.

As all my doctor/frontline friends always say: it only takes one.

The epicentre was China then Italy and now the US. It only takes one unintentional, infected New Yorker to leave the state and bob's your uncle.

UK's ground zero was some guy who went skiing in Austria in January and brought it home. One of his friends there then went home to the States, sick.

As all my doctor/frontline friends always say: it only takes one.

The epicentre was China then Italy and now the US. It only takes one unintentional, infected New Yorker to leave the state and bob's your uncle.

UK's ground zero was some guy who went skiing in Austria in January and brought it home.
Italy's was the champion's league match with atalanta.

Currently, about 20-22% of the all-new cases in Singapore has been originated by either Americans coming back to Singapore, visiting or Singaporeans who just came back from the States. Every one of them undetected by the thermal scanners at the airport. And all this is despite the massive drop off in travel globally.
It's the damn Americans fault.

It's the damn Americans fault.

Don't be overly sensitive.

These are the facts. I am two months ahead of your curve. We are facing a different scenario now than from the first Wave; what you are facing now. Everyone seems to think that when it peaks in 2-3 weeks time, the worst is past them. It will not.

There will be multiple waves because unless you can stop a 100% from spreading or infecting especially with the under/uninsureds, it won't go away until a vaccine is found.

Case in point:
Brits face 'six-month coronavirus lockdown' measures to avoid second wave of cases
Dr Jenny Harries, deputy chief medical officer, said the restrictions could remain in force until September, adding that the early signs from the lockdown were promising

Dr Harries told Radio 4's Women's Hour: "We don't want to lift those measures and find that we have a sudden upsurge and our efforts will have been wasted.

"Overall we are looking at a scenario of over a six-month period but not necessarily with a lockdown of this level going on throughout that time.

"We are likely able to raise some of the measures as we go forward and keep in a very controlled pattern."

Last edited:

These are the facts. I am two months ahead of your curve. We are facing a different scenario now than from the first Wave; what you are facing now. Everyone seems to think that when it peaks in 2-3 weeks time, the worst is past them. It will not.

There will be multiple waves because unless you can stop a 100% from spreading or infecting especially with the under/uninsureds, it won't go away until a vaccine is found.
Nobody really knows what the numbers are with regards to China.
You are correct in the fact that this isn't going away.

Why are you not 2 months closer to a working treatment or vaccine? Probably because a population hiding in their basements has a less urgent need for treatment.

Nobody really knows what the numbers are with regards to China.

Everyone keeps saying they cant trust the numbers out of China? I know its definitely got better -- I am in daily contact with people there. The WHO is there working with them. No reason at this point to lie and because it doesn't matter anymore.
The fact is that the US numbers are actually worse than reported due to the untested, untraced and uncontained.

Dr. Birx also said observed data is not as severe as the models predicted.
Observed data is a fraction of Fergusson's modelled outcomes. But Circle Joe is a child of hatred. He's always rready to say something nasty about information which doesn't fit his hate.

Yeah I know when I am in need of RATIONAL medical advice the Federalist is my first choice...

"Conservative website The Federalist has positioned itself in the coronavirus era as the right’s leading voice of COVID-19 skepticism, with its writers seemingly on a reckless campaign across the internet and television to downplay the pandemic’s potential impact and lethality.

The right-wing outlet’s coronavirus coverage hit an astonishing low on Wednesday when Twitter temporarily locked The Federalist’s account after it posted an article by a self-described dermatologist proposing that people deliberately infect themselves with the virus.

In his article, titled “How Medical ‘Chickenpox Parties’ Could Turn The Tide Of The Wuhan Virus,” Douglas Perednia made a bizarre push for getting voluntarily infected with the disease at gatherings in an attempt to develop immunity—a scheme he claimed would “turn the tide” against the pandemic."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-fansite-federalist-hits-low-232017913.html

I was going to start a thread yesterday on this alarming lack of social responsibility from the Federalist. Instead, YOU start a thread using a Federalist link as if they are some sort of legitimate source making a valid statement. Really can NOT make this shit up as the Trumplings circle the wagons...
Pitiful post. The researcher who's article is reported on in the Federalist is the same British guy who put out the prediction, from his model, that predicted massive death in the UK and the US. The article reports that he has backtracked and the numbers from actual observed date - not modeling - is a fraction of model prediction/

So, hate the Federalist, but the article contains the British researcher's own retrenchment from his early predictions - are you disappointed that his most dire predictions aren't anywhere close to coming to fruition? Pitiful.

Dr. Blix relates those facts on air this evening. You must be beside yourself with disappointment. Pitiful

Reactions: thezinfan1

Developing affordable, accurate test kits for COVID-19 one of the biggest challenge this outbreak

Going forward -- if the incubation period is two weeks, testing once is just silly. Probably need to be tested like twice a month or twice every six weeks to have some semblance of control.

But if testing costs like several hundred bucks as in the case in Europe, how sustainable will this be?

How will they keep a lid on this even after the 1st Peak?

ADVERTISEMENT