ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IUCol

Junior
Nov 11, 2017
Here we are again at Spring practice. Last season at this time, people were very excited and concerned about the coaching change. Many thought we'd tank...others thought we were headed for the Rose Bowl. Now, a year later some are saying the next season will be 10 wins, others that Coach needs firing.

After all of this, I'm curious, as I'm sure others are, just where the mindset lies today. Like all of life, its a Bell Curve...but where are the peaks and where the valleys. What do you think of the coming season? Dig deep...don't be superficial. Think about it...where are we? What is the actual level of talent at IU right now compared to the rest of the B10? Don't be gloomy or rosey...where are we really? What do you except for the 2018 season right now?

All thoughtful comments appreciated...tell us what you really think! Thanks...

Here we are again at Spring practice. Last season at this time, people were very excited and concerned about the coaching change. Many thought we'd tank...others thought we were headed for the Rose Bowl. Now, a year later some are saying the next season will be 10 wins, others that Coach needs firing.

After all of this, I'm curious, as I'm sure others are, just where the mindset lies today. Like all of life, its a Bell Curve...but where are the peaks and where the valleys. What do you think of the coming season? Dig deep...don't be superficial. Think about it...where are we? What is the actual level of talent at IU right now compared to the rest of the B10? Don't be gloomy or rosey...where are we really? What do you except for the 2018 season right now?

We have enough talent to compete with everyone, just like we have the past few years. We’ve got to find a way to not blow it with five minutes left in the game.

Trying to be sober and fair in assessment...

Offense: Think the 3 QBs we have now more what coaches want - mobile QBs. (and think Lagow 2 yrs were challenging due to lack of mobility & picks.)
RB's - feel we have legit good talent again now (slipped a bit, but believe tracking again). WR's - think Westbrook/Hale have "play on Sunday potential" and incoming talent looks bigger, athletic. OLine, feel w/all coming back and new S/C coaches, they will be improved next year. Coaches: Debord year 2 will be good test to see if they can get back to the IU dynamics of old.

Defense: Tom Allen's stamp has been made, feel like our new floor is much higher than it ever was. We lost a lot of starters, but feel like the athleticism and talent of the next up and incoming FR is moving to higher level. Very bullish on DB's and think our DL depth is pretty good too. LB's everyone's concern, but like the FR talent at least filling future pipeline. I'm a "tad" more confident in our Def coaching staff on whole vs. offense, and think this side ball will continue playing consistently well.

Spec teams: like he put a full time coach on it, LOVE our punter, best we'll love the All-American kicker coming in. What was a weakness could become a strength.

I'm big fan of Coach Allen: intensity, enthusiasm and heart that seems to be carrying over with players, with HS coaches and in attracting good new coaches to program. Given signed all the early recruits, already seeing IU heavily out recruiting/offering for 2019 already.

New stadium almost done. Much better schedule in 2018. Much better overall talent on the team/in the pipeline. I'm excited with direction of things.

We have enough talent to compete with everyone, just like we have the past few years. We’ve got to find a way to not blow it with five minutes left in the game.
While I believe we have quality talent we are still lacking depth. When injuries come the depth at several positions still has a major effect on our performance unlike the top programs who can simply reload. That is one area I would like to see improved.

While I believe we have quality talent we are still lacking depth. When injuries come the depth at several positions still has a major effect on our performance unlike the top programs who can simply reload. That is one area I would like to see improved.
Yes. It’s better but that’s a big reason why we implode late. Won’t know if it’s any better until we play the games.

We lost a lot from last year’s team. I’m afraid we’re going to really, really struggle at QB. To the point that we’re begging for Lagow back. We also lost a lot on defense.

That said, I’m excited to see some of the younger guys fill those roles. I think we’ll be better in the trenches and have more depth.

My heart says 7 wins based solely on how much easier the schedule is. We definitely can get there. But gun to the head I’d say 5 wins is most likely.

Reactions: IUCol and Chriselli
We lost a lot from last year’s team. I’m afraid we’re going to really, really struggle at QB. To the point that we’re begging for Lagow back. We also lost a lot on defense.
e depth.
[...]
My heart says 7 wins based solely on how much easier the schedule is. We definitely can get there. But gun to the head I’d say 5 wins is most likely.
We really really struggled at QB last year and still won five games. In today's game, unless you have a shutdown defense and an overpowering run game, you need a playmaker at the QB spot. That's going to be the key. It remains to be seen if we'll have that.

That said, I’m excited to see some of the younger guys fill those roles. I think we’ll be better in the trenches and have more depth.

Not sure if you saw but they were tracking in practice and Ramsey was like 23 for 26 completions. Had he had bit more protection (and not down 2 of top 3 receivers) he was looking good, has mobility and good coaches kids smarts. While I do think Penix is a future stud, I'm guessing Ramsey holds him/Tronti off and has a much improved year due to better Oline, better RB play and good WR's in Hale/Westrboork/Whop/Timien.

Follow your heart more! At very least think it is a 6 win floor and bowling again. I too think 7 (great step in right direction) and my "heart reach" is 8 games. Why? Schedule, bye week in week 8, and residuals of the new S/C coaches.

They are already showing people up in weight, less body fat, etc. Ball is now at 220. All Oline starters are 300+. Penix is up about 10 lbs. Appears to be across the board. And the athleticism on the team and coming in June (FR) continues to ramp up. Think we'll see some new faces step up in 2018.

We are so young, something like 60% of the roster will be first or second year players. I think our talent is increasing but so young.

Our schedule sets up better than last year but I think the OOC games are huge. I don't think we have any walkover conference games. I would say Rutger if it we're a home game. Opening on the road as favorites (I presume) worries me with such a young roster.

I expect to beat FIU, BSU & Rutger.

UVA, Minnesota, Iowa, Maryland and PU are all 50/50 games to me. We must win 3 of these.

Of the remaining four I hope to get one W although I think we can beat any of them with the right breaks.

Best case: 9-3
Worst case: 2-10
My pick: 6-6

I think the OL will be the biggest surprise this year. Are they young? Yes but many of them have been together for 3 years now. Wes said in his interview how there is much more cohesion being together as long as they have.

If the OL pans out its gonna be a good year! :)

Last edited:
I think this is unlikely.

We need a difference maker back there. RL had all the boxes checked except where it mattered most: field presence. Always felt he could light it up given “a script” and an inferior opponent. Couldn’t improvise. Had to have everything around him going right to succeed. Couldn’t pull off the broken plays, and with the lack of protection last year that was commonplace. Not necessarily his fault, just how he was wired for the position.

I don’t think this is the breakout year for wins, but it is defining in developing Allen’s players for the following year. He will have to be smart to get young and inexperienced guys into the game while avoiding injuries. I think it looks like a five win season on paper, but I’m guessing we will get six because Allen knows how to call a game. If we can bring some guys along this season and bring in another solid recruiting class then next year will be expectations of seven or eight wins.

Not sure if you saw but they were tracking in practice and Ramsey was like 23 for 26 completions. Had he had bit more protection (and not down 2 of top 3 receivers) he was looking good, has mobility and good coaches kids smarts. While I do think Penix is a future stud, I'm guessing Ramsey holds him/Tronti off and has a much improved year due to better Oline, better RB play and good WR's in Hale/Westrboork/Whop/Timien.

Follow your heart more! At very least think it is a 6 win floor and bowling again. I too think 7 (great step in right direction) and my "heart reach" is 8 games. Why? Schedule, bye week in week 8, and residuals of the new S/C coaches.

They are already showing people up in weight, less body fat, etc. Ball is now at 220. All Oline starters are 300+. Penix is up about 10 lbs. Appears to be across the board. And the athleticism on the team and coming in June (FR) continues to ramp up. Think we'll see some new faces step up in 2018.
I like your optimism. I just don’t think Ramsey is a Big Ten level QB. I don’t think he has the arm for it. Take away his ability to scramble and he really struggles to extend the defense vertically. I hope he proves me wrong next year. Until we get that position figured out I just can’t see us winning the tight, competitive games.

I just hope we can get back to a bowl.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I wasn't around last year to make any predictions for last season, but I thought 7 wins before the season started was very reasonable with the amount of returning starters. Obviously that didn't happen as we let a few games slip away that were very winnable and just didn't get it done.

I'm taking a more cautious approach this season as there are too many question marks that may hinder this team. I've heard all the tales before, that help is on the way, for decades in both sports. I'm not going to fall for it anymore until we actually prove something on the field. My early forecast says 5 wins, but that could change as I do not know our opponents' details of players lost or returning.

I don't qualify myself as Allen needing fired (yet), but I strongly question the way he was handed the job by default. That was a critical mistake in my book. It doesn't show IU is serious about winning in football. I would've been totally satisfied had Allen stayed at DC, and someone else was hired in as HC. I'm not too fond of FG and the powers-that-be, to ever make the right hires or decisions. And if we lose to Brohm (a coach we could've hired) again next year and don't go bowling, I will be calling for either Allen or FG's head to roll, or possibly both.

Oh, I'm sure you were around last year. You were just around under another name. I've read this argument, virtually word for word, too many times to count.

And claiming that you would have predicted seven wins for a season that's already in the books if you had only been here in time to make that prediction is laughably inane.

You're a day late and a dollar short with your argument. Allen was hired as HC in late 2016. It's now 2018. There's a body of work to evaluate (coaching and recruiting) and you can assess his job performance on the merits. That seems to make a whole more sense than re-litigating, for the umpteenth time, the hiring process. Give it up.
Any evaluation of Allen, along with expectation setting for the coming season, should be based on the merits, as you rightly stated. So far, the Allen regime posted a 5-7 record in spite of returning 16 starters and experience at every position, and produced the 10th rated recruiting class in the Big Ten, 12th if judged purely on rivals star ratings, ahead of Rutgers and Illinois. There are large question marks at quarterback, receiver, running back, offensive line and tight end on offense, and at linebacker and corner on defense. Also, the all Big Ten kicker is gone, too. With those undeniable merits, Upset's prediction for 2018 carries great credibility.

Last edited:
Any evaluation of Allen, along with expectation setting for the coming season, should be based on the merits, as you rightly stated. So far, the Allen regime posted a 5-7 record in spite of returning 16 starters and experience at every position, and produced the 10th rated recruiting class in the Big Ten, 12th if judged purely on rivals star ratings, ahead of Rutgers and Illinois. There are large question marks at quarterback, receiver, running back, offensive line and tight end on offense, and at linebacker and corner on defense. Also, the all Big Ten kicker is gone, too. With those undeniable merits, Upset's prediction for 2018 carries great credibility.

There was a large ? at QB last season even with Lagow returning and that ? never got answered during the season.

If people think Allen is going to hand Ramsey the job because he started games last year, well then, they don’t understand the philosophy of the staff.

I cannot predict wins or losses on the gridiron but think we’ll do better than the basketball program next year. Too much youth there.

While what you say is true, there were also significant flaws on OL and QB, that Allen inherited from Wilson, which effectively doomed the offense and the season as a whole.

Thank you...thank you...thank you...that was 5 Star moderating. Thank you...

There was a large ? at QB last season even with Lagow returning and that ? never got answered during the season.

If people think Allen is going to hand Ramsey the job because he started games last year, well then, they don’t understand the philosophy of the staff.

I cannot predict wins or losses on the gridiron but think we’ll do better than the basketball program next year. Too much youth there.

I don't think Ramsey will be handed the job but his experience will have to be overcome. Tronti or Penix will have to be significantly better to get the nod IMO.

While what you say is true, there were also significant flaws on OL and QB, that Allen inherited from Wilson, which effectively doomed the offense and the season as a whole.
This is very true and the basic argument I have heard many times. Yet I'm not sure how it helps Allen. It is what it is. You can say that about IU FB most years. This is the battle Allen must win or be the next ex coach. Wilson brought our recruiting way up...it slipped a bit but that's to be expected because we cant hold on to depth like the big schools. IU will always cycle its win/lose records up and down imo. So if this is what Allen inherited, it cant be said he overcame the limitations. A successful FB coach at IU must accomplish this or fail. What's next?

Reactions: IUgradman
There were certainly issues at both of those positions and others, but what new coach walks into something as good as Allen did? Most go into dumpster fires (like Wilson, like Hep, like Cam, like Mal, like Sam, like Corso, like Pont) that make Allen's debut year look positively rosy by comparison. Coaching changes are nearly always the result of programs bottoming out under the previous regime, and that wasn't the case at all. Further, there was no massive attrition of players, no huge interruption of recruiting, and no wholesale turnover of coaches (other than what Allen chose to do on his own).

No one totally dismisses injuries as a factor in the 2017 results, but IU started well ahead of the normal coaching change curve and still managed to go backward and, in spite of the near euphoria over the recently signed recruiting class, it leaves some doubt about how IU will continue to measure up talent-wise against the rest of the Big Ten.

This is very true and the basic argument I have heard many times. Yet I'm not sure how it helps Allen. It is what it is. You can say that about IU FB most years. This is the battle Allen must win or be the next ex coach. Wilson brought our recruiting way up...it slipped a bit but that's to be expected because we cant hold on to depth like the big schools. IU will always cycle its win/lose records up and down imo. So if this is what Allen inherited, it cant be said he overcame the limitations. A successful FB coach at IU must accomplish this or fail. What's next?
Well yeah, but there were people starting coaching search threads after his FIRST SEASON. And it’s not like he went 0-12.

I don't think Ramsey will be handed the job but his experience will have to be overcome. Tronti or Penix will have to be significantly better to get the nod IMO.
I totally agree with this. If someone surpasses Ramsey that is an awesome thing IMO. While Ramsey has some experience, if the OL is improved it would be interesting to see if he can launch a few downfield. Based off high school accomplishments you would think Tronti would really be in the mix here.

I agree with what you say. The only reason I brought it up was to counter the idea that because there were a bunch of starters returning that we should have done better. If what we returned counts towards Allen’s success, then what we didn’t have must also count.

I like your optimism. I just don’t think Ramsey is a Big Ten level QB. I don’t think he has the arm for it. Take away his ability to scramble and he really struggles to extend the defense vertically. I hope he proves me wrong next year. Until we get that position figured out I just can’t see us winning the tight, competitive games.

I just hope we can get back to a bowl.

a big arm is great, but hardly the be all end all.

what's highly under rated, is the ability to hit what should be easy passes that should be automatic, that get missed all the time.

every yr i see guys miss lots of short and what should be easy passes that just kill you.

just being able to hit a screen pass just right is a much under rated skill.

even on downfield throws, timing and accuracy are more important than velocity.

as for being able to hit that out pattern to the wide side of the field with a guy all over the receiver that takes a cannon, i hate that play anyway.

timing, accuracy, touch, instinct, intangibles, pocket presence, the ability to hit a short pass on 3rd and 2 or at the goal line to a covered receiver by knowing the exact place to put it, and being able to put it there, get you a lot more completions and down the field and in the end zone vs a field goal, more consistently than that once in a while 45 yd frozen rope that splits 2 defenders.

QB could be a big strength this yr, and even more so the next few yrs to come.

we haven't even mentioned the Ben Davis kid yet.

a big arm is great, but hardly the be all end all.

what's highly under rated, is the ability to hit what should be easy passes that should be automatic, that get missed all the time.

every yr i see guys miss lots of short and what should be easy passes that just kill you.

just being able to hit a screen pass just right is a much under rated skill.

even on downfield throws, timing and accuracy are more important than velocity.

as for being able to hit that out pattern to the wide side of the field with a guy all over the receiver that takes a cannon, i hate that play anyway.

timing, accuracy, touch, instinct, intangibles, pocket presence, the ability to hit a short pass on 3rd and 2 or at the goal line to a covered receiver by knowing the exact place to put it, and being able to put it there, get you a lot more completions and down the field and in the end zone vs a field goal, more consistently than that once in a while 45 yd frozen rope that splits 2 defenders.

QB could be a big strength this yr, and even more so the next few yrs to come.

we haven't even mentioned the Ben Davis kid yet.
Excellent point. Seems to me a big arm is nice, but an accurate one is better. Ramsey should be able to stretch the field adequately. I will take a guy that hits his man every time. Seems to me Montana and Rice made a living picking teams apart. With the bomb there n timely fashion.

There were certainly issues at both of those positions and others, but what new coach walks into something as good as Allen did? Most go into dumpster fires (like Wilson, like Hep, like Cam, like Mal, like Sam, like Corso, like Pont) that make Allen's debut year look positively rosy by comparison. Coaching changes are nearly always the result of programs bottoming out under the previous regime, and that wasn't the case at all. Further, there was no massive attrition of players, no huge interruption of recruiting, and no wholesale turnover of coaches (other than what Allen chose to do on his own).

No one totally dismisses injuries as a factor in the 2017 results, but IU started well ahead of the normal coaching change curve and still managed to go backward and, in spite of the near euphoria over the recently signed recruiting class, it leaves some doubt about how IU will continue to measure up talent-wise against the rest of the Big Ten.

You wondered what new coaches walk into something as good as Allen did. Below are the coaches , new school, and the previous seasons record from that school.

Just this year !!!
Sonny Dukes (SMU) 7-6,
Mario Cristabal (Oregon) 7-6,
Willie Taggart (FSU) 7-6,
Josh Heupel (UCF) 13-0,
Herm Edwards (ASU) 7-6,
Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M) 7-6,
Joe Moorhead (MSU) 9-4,
Matt Luke (Ole Miss) 6-6,

I would also add that there are other coaches walking into better programs than IU as well, but those programs had losing records last year, so I didn't include them.

I totally agree with this. If someone surpasses Ramsey that is an awesome thing IMO. While Ramsey has some experience, if the OL is improved it would be interesting to see if he can launch a few downfield. Based off high school accomplishments you would think Tronti would really be in the mix here.

Regardless of which QB wins the role IU should see a substantial upgrade from RL. Lagow was completely unable to check down which is why he was so simple to read. Add zero mobility and you see the problem. I was a lone voice here about the OL ills beginning two seasons ago...should finally see some relief there. Great class coming in with a ton of speed and a kicker that should step right in.

Allen lost a lot of talent but has good kids moving up and several coming in. anything under seven wins is a big miss.

You wondered what new coaches walk into something as good as Allen did. Below are the coaches , new school, and the previous seasons record from that school.

Just this year !!!
Sonny Dukes (SMU) 7-6,
Josh Heupel (UCF) 13-0,
Herm Edwards (ASU) 7-6,
Joe Moorhead (MSU) 9-4,

I would also add that there are other coaches walking into better programs than IU as well, but those programs had losing records last year, so I didn't include them.

The cupboard was not bare by any stretch but there were big gaps at QB and OL them he lost one of his go to receivers on the first play. Oh, then the schedule...

Just this year !!!
Sonny Dukes (SMU) 7-6,
Josh Heupel (UCF) 13-0,
Herm Edwards (ASU) 7-6,
Joe Moorhead (MSU) 9-4,

It will certainly be interesting to see how those coaches do in their first years, and how many do better or worse than Allen did at IU.

And it's Sonny Dykes, not Dukes.

Regardless of which QB wins the role IU should see a substantial upgrade from RL. Lagow was completely unable to check down which is why he was so simple to read. Add zero mobility and you see the problem. I was a lone voice here about the OL ills beginning two seasons ago...should finally see some relief there. Great class coming in with a ton of speed and a kicker that should step right in.

Allen lost a lot of talent but has good kids moving up and several coming in. anything under seven wins is a big miss.
Lagow's supposed inability to check down was a result of the O line injuries in 2016 and the poor unit in 2017. Rarely did he have time to find his primary receiver, let alone any secondary ones. And, after watching the replacements for the injured O linemen in 2016 followed by the loss of any excellent O line coach, most everyone saw a position group that was going to struggle in 2017. I think the surprise was that no one, including a couple of returning veterans, played well for any sustained period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13

True. Actually we already got a preview of the upgrade in 2017. The kid (Ramsey) showed, in nine games, a lot of poise for a freshman. His 65.4 completion percentage was second in the conference, 13th nationally, and best in IU single-season history. The Virginia game, in particular, was a thing of beauty, and he put up big numbers against Maryland before getting hurt. The injury, unfortunately, shortened his season.

True. Actually we already got a preview of the upgrade in 2017. The kid (Ramsey) showed, in nine games, a lot of poise for a freshman. His 65.4 completion percentage was second in the conference, 13th nationally, and best in IU single-season history. The Virginia game, in particular, was a thing of beauty, and he put up big numbers against Maryland before getting hurt. The injury, unfortunately, shortened his season.

Ramsey, while an upgrade from RL was not quite ready for prime time in the BIG. Hopefully his winter and summer development will step him up from both arm limitation and decision making aspects. Otherwise he may find himself as a backup. I like him, and see the potential, he just needs development. How Wilson got in that position in the QB dept is beyond comprehension.

I agree that Ramsey does have an accurate arm, but his percentage was boosted because he only threw to underneath routes. His glaring flaw is that he was not able to hurt teams with the deep ball. Defenses started walking up on him because they knew he couldn’t take the top off. They closed down passing windows, and gave him less space to use his legs as the season went on. He appears to be a great kid, but he won’t last if he doesn’t figure out how to throw it down the field. Considering what he put on film last year, he will have to connect on multiple long balls every game for half of the season before Big Ten teams will respect him. McSorley was in the same position and proved he can throw it.

I wasn't around last year to make any predictions for last season, but I thought 7 wins before the season started was very reasonable with the amount of returning starters. Obviously that didn't happen as we let a few games slip away that were very winnable and just didn't get it done.

I'm taking a more cautious approach this season as there are too many question marks that may hinder this team. I've heard all the tales before, that help is on the way, for decades in both sports. I'm not going to fall for it anymore until we actually prove something on the field. My early forecast says 5 wins, but that could change as I do not know our opponents' details of players lost or returning.

I don't qualify myself as Allen needing fired (yet), but I strongly question the way he was handed the job by default. That was a critical mistake in my book. It doesn't show IU is serious about winning in football. I would've been totally satisfied had Allen stayed at DC, and someone else was hired in as HC. I'm not too fond of FG and the powers-that-be, to ever make the right hires or decisions. And if we lose to Brohm (a coach we could've hired) again next year and don't go bowling, I will be calling for either Allen or FG's head to roll, or possibly both.

Basically, Allen achieved the same level of output last year as the previous 2 years. It was 1 whopping game difference, like it has been the previous 3 years with Wilson at the helm. Let’s not paint it any differently.
It was not a “huge” step back as some here are trying to paint it. It hinges on 1 game. Last year, it was Maryland. 2016, we had to beat Rutgers and Purdue. 2015, had to overcome a near 20 point deficit at Maryland in the 1st quarter to wn the pivotal game.
Last year was disappointing. If it continues this year, I’ll get concerned.

Basically, Allen achieved the same level of output last year as the previous 2 years. It was 1 whopping game difference, like it has been the previous 3 years with Wilson at the helm. Let’s not paint it any differently.
It was not a “huge” step back as some here are trying to paint it. It hinges on 1 game. Last year, it was Maryland. 2016, we had to beat Rutgers and Purdue. 2015, had to overcome a near 20 point deficit at Maryland in the 1st quarter to wn the pivotal game.
Yes. This.

Not sure which post you're quoting "huge"from, but it wasn't the same. Like it or not, that one game difference kept them out of a bowl game and stymied momentum, which likely had a negative impact on recruiting. It remains to be seen if those 15 practices that IU missed in December will negatively impact a team that needs all the development time it can get. But laying an egg against both Maryland and Purdue, with any extremely experienced team, cost them dearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT