ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations vs hopes

Feepee troll post and it’s not even a good one. The B1G as a whole is just as good as any conference. The only team that is better is Alabama. It’s mostly Alabama and everyone else. The IU vs Ol’ miss game had to many starters out and good grief! Our best player was gone not to mention the guy that replaced him was rendered ineffective. With Penix that game wouldn’t have been close. We need some troll-be-gone.

haha Oh boy. This is why everyone ignores you. Someone forgot to tell Auburn they were in the SEC then because Northwestern smoked them in the bowl game last year and lost to Minnesota the year prior. A below average IU gave away a game vs one of the better Tennessee teams in the last couple of decades 2 years ago. Ohio State almost doubled up what was supposed to be a dominant Clemson team last year. The SEC has one maybe two really good teams each year just like the B1G does. I would put the B1G East division up against any other conferences division any day.
For pu 2 is a purdue troll. All this "we" stuff is just a smokescreen...

Can't wait to see how he reacts after his hero Brohmardi struggles to win more than 2 games this Fall...

For pu 2 is a purdue troll. All this "we" stuff is just a smokescreen...

Can't wait to see how he reacts after his hero Brohmardi struggles to win more than 2 games this Fall...

ha I know it, I put him on ignore but its so beyond obvious. Hence my PU bash.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Hey....we’ve fielded competitive defenses during Allen’s career. That’s better than the vast majority of my previous 40 seasons watching them. You have a defense, you can stay in most games. We are in better shape with talent than at any time I can remember.
Maybe some teams didn’t have good COVID seasons. And, that’s on them for not being prepared. Everyone was in the same boat. No reason to disqualify the results.

It was a disaster. No way around that. Ole Miss had a losing record and had most of their starters opt out or injured. We got dominated by their 2nd string. Let’s just call it what it was.

Thankfully we’re not in the SEC and don’t have to play that talent until our bowl game at earliest. We can beat everyone on our schedule this year. One at a time.
I didn't realize that your terrible hot takes left the basketball board. This post is just chocked full of proof that you have no clue what you're talking about regardless of the sport involved.

Always wonder if going with Dexter would have been better than an injured Tuttle. His injury seemed to hinder our offense so much that I would think having a healthy QB with no experience may have been better.
Or just run the ball like we finally did in the 4th quarter. The 20 short passes to Whop got us nothing. I would have liked to see what Dexter could do with Tuttle hurt.

First off, we can’t compare the Big Ten to the SEC. The SEC is on a different planet from the rest of the conferences. We’re not in even close to competing in the SEC. Neither are 13 of the 14 teams in our conference.

That said, thankfully we play in the Big Ten. Only one team on our schedule has SEC type talent. I wouldn’t be surprised with 6 wins. I wouldn’t be surprised with 9 wins. I think it’s going to be fun and I think the fan base is solidly all in on Allen and won’t give up just because of a few tough losses if they come.

Still Big Ten programs beat SEC programs in bowl games.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Still Big Ten programs beat SEC programs in bowl games.
Not very often. The SEC wins about 2/3 of the games. And usually it’s a matchup of the 2nd best Big Ten school vs the 5th best SEC team. It’s not pretty. But the SEC does that to everyone, not just the Big Ten.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Not very often. The SEC wins about 2/3 of the games. And usually it’s a matchup of the 2nd best Big Ten school vs the 5th best SEC team. It’s not pretty. But the SEC does that to everyone, not just the Big Ten.
You pulled that out of your a$$. Let’s see the stats.

So, last year was amazing. And I’m just as bought into the hopes that IU football is establishing itself as a legit threat in the Big10.

But…I am a lifelong IU football fan. So it’s difficult to shed the pessimism.

I think the bowl game last year should serve as a little bit of a “pump the brakes” on IU being a program that can contend with OSU type hope. Which is where A LOT of IU fans want to take their expectations right now. It’s great to have legit reasons for those types of hopes. It’s dangerous to have those types of expectations.

So…while my hope is we do something unheard of and go 10-2, 11-1, or heck why not, 12-0 this year. I think a fair expectation is more like 8-4. And involves how competitive we are against OSU, PSU, Iowa, Cincinnati, etc…. Rather than any expectations of beating them. And/or then any expectations of running the table on the rest of the games. Minnesota is gonna be really good. Are we really at a point to expect to win in the big house? Maryland is talented. Should we ever expect to beat Purdue in West Laughy?

I expect to be competitive in all our games.

I expect to win: Idaho, Western Kentucky, Rutgers

I’d be bummed out but not shocked if we didn’t win: Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota

The other 6 games are just gonna be really tough…and really fun to watch hopefully.

So 5-1 or 6-0 on those first couple groups. 2-4 or 3-3 in the really tough ones.

Here’s a scenario that worries me… what will our historically weak fans do if we lose a top 20 road B10 game, beat Idaho, then lose to a Top 10 playoff caliber Cincy team? Obviously it’s just as possible we beat Iowa and Cincy…maybe I should just be focusing on the hope side.
The only 1 you left out is @ Maryland, which I'd place in in your category of "bummed but not shocked" if we lose. I'll be quite bummed actually, but we need to see the circumstances at that time too, as far as injuries, momentum etc. etc.

ADVERTISEMENT