ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations vs hopes

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
So, last year was amazing. And I’m just as bought into the hopes that IU football is establishing itself as a legit threat in the Big10.

But…I am a lifelong IU football fan. So it’s difficult to shed the pessimism.

I think the bowl game last year should serve as a little bit of a “pump the brakes” on IU being a program that can contend with OSU type hope. Which is where A LOT of IU fans want to take their expectations right now. It’s great to have legit reasons for those types of hopes. It’s dangerous to have those types of expectations.

So…while my hope is we do something unheard of and go 10-2, 11-1, or heck why not, 12-0 this year. I think a fair expectation is more like 8-4. And involves how competitive we are against OSU, PSU, Iowa, Cincinnati, etc…. Rather than any expectations of beating them. And/or then any expectations of running the table on the rest of the games. Minnesota is gonna be really good. Are we really at a point to expect to win in the big house? Maryland is talented. Should we ever expect to beat Purdue in West Laughy?

I expect to be competitive in all our games.

I expect to win: Idaho, Western Kentucky, Rutgers

I’d be bummed out but not shocked if we didn’t win: Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota

The other 6 games are just gonna be really tough…and really fun to watch hopefully.

So 5-1 or 6-0 on those first couple groups. 2-4 or 3-3 in the really tough ones.

Here’s a scenario that worries me… what will our historically weak fans do if we lose a top 20 road B10 game, beat Idaho, then lose to a Top 10 playoff caliber Cincy team? Obviously it’s just as possible we beat Iowa and Cincy…maybe I should just be focusing on the hope side.

Expectations for this team has risen for most fans but fans living in the past it is hard to see the talent on this team. Yes, I expect a great season this year but understand it could be less than expected. I would prefer to expect greatness with this team if Penix and all the other returning injured players are healthy. I think our transfers will be major contributors again this year. If it is anything less than a great season I can live with it and keep supporting the Hoosiers.

Expectations for this team has risen for most fans but fans living in the past it is hard to see the talent on this team. Yes, I expect a great season this year but understand it could be less than expected. I would prefer to expect greatness with this team if Penix and all the other returning injured players are healthy. I think our transfers will be major contributors again this year. If it is anything less than a great season I can live with it and keep supporting the Hoosiers.
Agreed. I’m a little worried that last year was kind of a “stars aligned” type season for us. No fans certainly helped us on the road. PSU game certainly could have gone the other way. How lucky were we with turnover margins? Penix is good, but did his legend grow a little bit when he got hurt? He wasn’t great early in the season. And the OSU game…did they just take their foot off the gas? He sure wasn’t good early in that game.

Those are the pessimistic thoughts that are plaguing me. It’s obvious our talent is better though. Just wanted to throw out some realistic thoughts. We could be a MUCH better team, and go 8-4. I hope people end up realizing that if it happens. Heck, we could have some key injuries and go 6-6. And with the 22’ class we have coming in, the program would still be on a good path.

So, last year was amazing. And I’m just as bought into the hopes that IU football is establishing itself as a legit threat in the Big10.

I think the bowl game last year should serve as a little bit of a “pump the brakes” on IU being a program that can contend with OSU type hope. Which is where A LOT of IU fans want to take their expectations right now. It’s great to have legit reasons for those types of hopes. It’s dangerous to have those types of expectations.

So…while my hope is we do something unheard of and go 10-2, 11-1, or heck why not, 12-0 this year. I think a fair expectation is more like 8-4. And involves how competitive we are against OSU, PSU, Iowa, Cincinnati, etc…. Rather than any expectations of beating them. And/or then any expectations of running the table on the rest of the games. Minnesota is gonna be really good. Are we really at a point to expect to win in the big house? Maryland is talented. Should we ever expect to beat Purdue in West Laughy?

I’d be bummed out but not shocked if we didn’t win: Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota

The other 6 games are just gonna be really tough…and really fun to watch hopefully.

So 5-1 or 6-0 on those first couple groups. 2-4 or 3-3 in the really tough ones.

Here’s a scenario that worries me… what will our historically weak fans do if we lose a top 20 road B10 game, beat Idaho, then lose to a Top 10 playoff caliber Cincy team? Obviously it’s just as possible we beat Iowa and Cincy…maybe I should just be focusing on the hope side.
You make some great points. The trajectory is definitely up, but "pumping the brakes" with respect to the 2021 season is probably not a bad idea.

I was in the stands at Raymond James Stadium on January 2 and watched us lose to a 4-5 team that, prior to that game, rarely played defense. Yes, Penix was out and Tuttle had a separated shoulder, so why did he put the ball in the air 45 times? Stevie was having some success on the ground, and Ole Miss's rushing D was 101st nationally last season. I'm not a coach, but I don't understand the game plan.

I remember, in the days leading up to the Outback Bowl, there was a lot of talk that IU deserved to be in a NY6 bowl game. That talk quickly ended after our clunker of a performance in Tampa.

In any event, I hope that loss still stings for the players and coaches, and that it serves as motivation as they begin the 2021 season. They certainly underperformed on January 2, and I hope they're hungry as hell going into the Iowa game on Sep 4.

We have two huge tests in the first three weeks of the season. A split could point to a nice season. Winning both would suggest a special season.

Go Hoosiers!!

Nothing against Tuttle, but the offense was simply not the same without Penix. So I view that Ole Miss game as not the same IU team that was around most of the season. IUs defense held that Ole Miss offense to 26 pts. That was so impressive because their offense was the best in the country.... and we return most all of those guys.

OSU came out hot but I always give more credit to a team that can adjust and get better as the game goes on vs. simply coming out on fire.

I get why there is some underlying fear of being over confident but this team is legit. That was not a fluke last year and this year the team is going to be even better.

Nothing against Tuttle, but the offense was simply not the same without Penix. So I view that Ole Miss game as not the same IU team that was around most of the season. IUs defense held that Ole Miss offense to 26 pts. That was so impressive because their offense was the best in the country.... and we return most all of those guys.

OSU came out hot but I always give more credit to a team that can adjust and get better as the game goes on vs. simply coming out on fire.

I get why there is some underlying fear of being over confident but this team is legit. That was not a fluke last year and this year the team is going to be even better.
If our O Line is better, the team will be better. I think there’s a good chance that happens. I also think we could be better, and finish 8-4. 4 losses coming from Iowa, Cincy, OSU, PSU, Minny, at Mich, at Maryland. Just going 3-4 in those games implies some really good wins. And would also imply beating MSU and Purdue.

Just don’t think we should be getting cocky and expecting things like this. Keep trending in the direction we are. Win 8 or more games this year. Similar next year. Let the 22 class come in and more transfers flock to LEO, then we start elevating our expectations.

It’s all really fun to consider though honestly.

And in regards to Ole Miss…they had key offensive pieces opted out in that game. And I’d still say they controlled that game from start to finish. It was very evident, to me anyway, which was an SEC team and which wasn’t.

Obviously Penix would have helped. But the fact that we’re comparing last years team versus a 4-5 SEC team proves my point…I think.

Agreed. I’m a little worried that last year was kind of a “stars aligned” type season for us. No fans certainly helped us on the road. PSU game certainly could have gone the other way. How lucky were we with turnover margins? Penix is good, but did his legend grow a little bit when he got hurt? He wasn’t great early in the season. And the OSU game…did they just take their foot off the gas? He sure wasn’t good early in that game.

Those are the pessimistic thoughts that are plaguing me. It’s obvious our talent is better though. Just wanted to throw out some realistic thoughts. We could be a MUCH better team, and go 8-4. I hope people end up realizing that if it happens. Heck, we could have some key injuries and go 6-6. And with the 22’ class we have coming in, the program would still be on a good path.
IU went 8-5 in 2019. The 2020 season was a progression from the year before. It wasn’t a fluke.

Allen has emphasized takeaways since he arrived as defensive coordinator. It’s not luck that IU forced so many turnovers last season.

Last edited:
And in regards to Ole Miss…they had key offensive pieces opted out in that game. And I’d still say they controlled that game from start to finish. It was very evident, to me anyway, which was an SEC team and which wasn’t.

Obviously Penix would have helped. But the fact that we’re comparing last years team versus a 4-5 SEC team proves my point…I think.
IU had a bunch of players who had to quarantine for two weeks because of COVID before the bowl game. You think that might have had something to do with the lethargic performance?

IU missed out on their last 2 games, and missed a lot of practice time before the bowl game, due to COVID. Ole Miss looked more in shape and sharper, and there were the aforementioned obvious reasons for that. The key to the season is a healthy Penix playing at a high level. With that anything is possible. We still have better depth that last year, some top notch transfers, and another season in the weight room. On the flip side we have a new DC, we lost some key starters, and our punter has never played a game of football in his life. There are certainly things that can go wrong. I’m more focused on the positive right now, and regardless of initial results, I’ll be at every home game and the WKU game.

IU missed out on their last 2 games, and missed a lot of practice time before the bowl game, due to COVID. Ole Miss looked more in shape and sharper, and there were the aforementioned obvious reasons for that. The key to the season is a healthy Penix playing at a high level. With that anything is possible. We still have better depth that last year, some top notch transfers, and another season in the weight room. On the flip side we have a new DC, we lost some key starters, and our punter has never played a game of football in his life. There are certainly things that can go wrong. I’m more focused on the positive right now, and regardless of initial results, I’ll be at every home game and the WKU game.
That punter line cracks me up. And terrorizes me too. 😬

I believe my comparison was our defense vs. their offense and not our team vs their team. The defense did a great job shutting them down when our offense was doing very little.

Reactions: vesuvius13
You make some great points. The trajectory is definitely up, but "pumping the brakes" with respect to the 2021 season is probably not a bad idea.

I was in the stands at Raymond James Stadium on January 2 and watched us lose to a 4-5 team that, prior to that game, rarely played defense. Yes, Penix was out and Tuttle had a separated shoulder, so why did he put the ball in the air 45 times? Stevie was having some success on the ground, and Ole Miss's rushing D was 101st nationally last season. I'm not a coach, but I don't understand the game plan.

I remember, in the days leading up to the Outback Bowl, there was a lot of talk that IU deserved to be in a NY6 bowl game. That talk quickly ended after our clunker of a performance in Tampa.

In any event, I hope that loss still stings for the players and coaches, and that it serves as motivation as they begin the 2021 season. They certainly underperformed on January 2, and I hope they're hungry as hell going into the Iowa game on Sep 4.

We have two huge tests in the first three weeks of the season. A split could point to a nice season. Winning both would suggest a special season.

Go Hoosiers!!
I was in RJS as well as Jax and felt the coaching hurt us both games.

I hang my hat on knowing that the overall quality of player on this team is far superior to teams of the past.

Go back 10 years ago and those teams were struggling to win 5 games a season. They were poor defensive teams. The Tom Allen led teams have obviously played pretty damn good defense across the board. The quality of player on that side of the ball is much superior nowadays.

If we can't have expectations with this bunch, something is wrong...Hell, there's probably 6 or 7 All Big Ten players on this team!!

Good analysis North. I too have high expectations and higher hopes for this team.

I am concerned that the expectations may be so high among causal fans that a couple of tough early losses may be more devastating to attendance and support than it would be with lower expectations.

This is a good football team and a head coach that knows how to get the best effort out of his players. There are several other good football teams on our schedule and I am excited about watching IU compete with them, but will certainly temper my disappointment should they lose any of those games. I just hope other fans can do the same and continue to back this team.

The schedule is challenging to say the least. I hate when we start with a conference game, and having a top 10 team non conference is exciting but terrifying. I think this team is up for the challenge. Losing our DC hurts but I think the addition of coach DM is going to be a difference maker. Expectations are high, and they should be, no brake pumping here. Onwards and upwards!

Minnesota was 3-4 last year. Why on earth would we not expect to beat them at home? And Michigan State is awful.

Frankly, the woe is us mentality is getting beyond tiresome. Two years ago we started 7-2 and won 8 games for the first time in 25 years. We won at Nebraska in front of 90,000 people. Last year we were a top 10 team. Getting a little tired of us being a “a fluke” two years in a row, and also suggesting that the bigger name schools will “be back.” We won games. They did not.

This team has a ton of talent. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
I have high expectations and higher hopes, but have the highest confidence in our coach and the program he is building, so won't let a disappointment or two, interfere with my excitement with the direction of the program! This is definitely the best time to be an IU Football Fan in my lifetime and excited to be along for the journey!

The schedule is challenging to say the least. I hate when we start with a conference game, and having a top 10 team non conference is exciting but terrifying. I think this team is up for the challenge. Losing our DC hurts but I think the addition of coach DM is going to be a difference maker. Expectations are high, and they should be, no brake pumping here. Onwards and upwards!
Our running game has not been as successful the last few seasons as I had hoped. Especially with what seemed like good incoming RB talent. I do not know if the issues were the OC and play calling, the RB coach, the RBs, or the OL.

Minnesota was 3-4 last year. Why on earth would we not expect to beat them at home? And Michigan State is awful.

Frankly, the woe is us mentality is getting beyond tiresome. Two years ago we started 7-2 and won 8 games for the first time in 25 years. We won at Nebraska in front of 90,000 people. Last year we were a top 10 team. Getting a little tired of us being a “a fluke” two years in a row, and also suggesting that the bigger name schools will “be back.” We won games. They did not.

This team has a ton of talent. Enjoy it.
No one is claiming that last year was a fluke. But it someone wants to make an argument that we weren't quite ready for prime time, they can point to the Ole Miss game as Exhibit A. You can't just gloss over that shit show.

We need to prove it was an aberration by knocking the living crap out of the Hawkeyes.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
No one is claiming that last year was a fluke. But it someone wants to make an argument that we weren't quite ready for prime time, they can point to the Ole Miss game as Exhibit A. You can't just gloss over that shit show.

We need to prove it was an aberration by knocking the living crap out of the Hawkeyes.
Did you read my post about the bowl game?

That's just hyperbole. Ole Miss played Alabama tougher than any other team they played. We were in the game till the end. We missed our last 2 games, and a lot of practice and conditioning time, due to Covid. Then we went to FL and played in the midday heat against a team from the south. They had better conditioning and were sharper and we still nearly won. Penix was out and Tuttle was hurt. Your narrative is way off that we were a "shit show". The body of work over the last 2 seasons shows that loss as more of an aberration than a cause for alarm. If anything that game showed us that the bigger issue was the X's and the O's, not the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

I hang my hat on knowing that the overall quality of player on this team is far superior to teams of the past.

Go back 10 years ago and those teams were struggling to win 5 games a season. They were poor defensive teams. The Tom Allen led teams have obviously played pretty damn good defense across the board. The quality of player on that side of the ball is much superior nowadays.

If we can't have expectations with this bunch, something is wrong...Hell, there's probably 6 or 7 All Big Ten players on this team!!
I got so tired of seeing the prevent defense because we had zero talent and speed most years. Most coaches gave up and tried to out score the opposing teams. We would get lucky every so often and get a Wally O.

I too am having confidence questions due primarily to watching a lot of IU football over many, many years. Most IU football fans are conditioned to expect the worse based on prior experience. But, I think we aren't necessarily focusing on reality.

Take the Iowa game for example. Iowa has to replace five starters on offense and four starters on defense including their two best defensive players one of which was the All-Big Ten Defensive Player of the year. On offense they lost first team and a second team All Big Ten offensive linemen. In a recent analysis of top returning QBs, Iowa's was way down the list.

Cincinnati lost four starters on both offense and defense including both safeties, one of which was an All American. They won last year because of defense. Here too, the QB was ranked very low on the best returning QBs list.

While I don't necessarily believe players are irreplaceable or players can't improve, IU's losses are not nearly as significant. Based on that alone, I would give IU a pretty good chance in both games. With a better line, Penix back with numerous full practices to get timing down with receivers, more speed on the outside with Mathews (beware new Cincinnati safeties) the chances are even better. Allen has been building talent, Sheridan will be a better play caller and will have learned from his first year, players have a chip on their shoulders and want to win.

I don't think I am overly optimistic, but rather, absent significant injuries, this team should be good. How good? 8-4? I think better.

That's just hyperbole. Ole Miss played Alabama tougher than any other team they played. We were in the game till the end. We missed our last 2 games, and a lot of practice and conditioning time, due to Covid. Then we went to FL and played in the midday heat against a team from the south. They had better conditioning and were sharper and we still nearly won. Penix was out and Tuttle was hurt. Your narrative is way off that we were a "shit show". The body of work over the last 2 seasons shows that loss as more of an aberration than a cause for alarm. If anything that game showed us that the bigger issue was the X's and the O's, not the Jimmy's and the Joe's.
Just my opinion but if Tuttle had not gotten nicked up during the game we would have won our bowl game by a FG. Once Tuttle separated that shoulder it made us way to one dimensional.

I got so tired of seeing the prevent defense because we had zero talent and speed most years. Most coaches gave up and tried to out score the opposing teams. We would get lucky every so often and get a Wally O.
The secondary talent is noticeably better. The playmaking ability of Mullen, Reese Taylor, Ball, Devon Matthews, etc., is a known commodity. Overall speed is much better, just a superior product.

I'm hesitant to respond because the last thing I want to do is give the impression that I'm down on the team. When it comes to IU football, there's no one who posts here who lives, breathes and bleeds cream and crimson more than me. As I said earlier, we are clearly on the upswing and it's a great time to be an IU football fan.

That said, when you're trying to break into the ranks of the upper echelon in college football, you can't lose a bowl game to a 4-5 team with a bad defense.

Yes, we were impacted by Covid and injuries but so were they, and they also had some key opt-outs (see the article I linked above).

With respect to the weather, I was at the game. Yes, it was an unseasonably warm day, but I've been to games in Bloomington in September where the heat and humidity were more oppressive. I was also at an IU game against FIU in Miami a few years back where we were soaked in perspiration just sitting there. The Outback Bowl was nothing like that. And, whatever the weather, it was the same for both teams, and Ole Miss wasn't practicing in heat in Oxford in December.

Ultimately, I think we may be on the same page. I used the word "aberration" and you did as well. I'm hoping that's all it was. We'll know in September. Go Hoosiers!!

I'm hesitant to respond because the last thing I want to do is give the impression that I'm down on the team. When it comes to IU football, there's no one who posts here who lives, breathes and bleeds cream and crimson more than me. As I said earlier, we are clearly on the upswing and it's a great time to be an IU football fan.

That said, when you're trying to break into the ranks of the upper echelon in college football, you can't lose a bowl game to a 4-5 team with a bad defense.

Yes, we were impacted by Covid and injuries but so were they, and they also had some key opt-outs (see the article I linked above).

With respect to the weather, I was at the game. Yes, it was an unseasonably warm day, but I've been to games in Bloomington in September where the heat and humidity were more oppressive. I was also at an IU game against FIU in Miami a few years back where we were soaked in perspiration just sitting there. The Outback Bowl was nothing like that. And, whatever the weather, it was the same for both teams, and Ole Miss wasn't practicing in heat in Oxford in December.

Ultimately, I think we may be on the same page. I used the word "aberration" and you did as well. I'm hoping that's all it was. We'll know in September. Go Hoosiers!!

I don't think we're that far apart in our expectations for this season, but I still think you're overlooking some circumstances from that bowl game. Yes they were 4-5, but look at those losses:

https://olemisssports.com/sports/football/schedule/2020

UF, Bama, LSU, Auburn, and Arkansas. Only AR would be a game that I'd think they should've won. IU's last game was on 12/5/20. Ole Miss's last game was on 12/19/20. They kept practicing like normal and we didn't. While it's not all that much warmer in Oxford than Bloomington in December, it's still warmer there while they're practicing and we're not. That undoubtedly helped their conditioning. No Penix and Tuttle was hurt. Yes they had some opt outs, but neither team was at 100%. I've felt that the play calling was worse than our performance.

I'm very bullish on our chances this season. Even if we lose to Iowa and Cincy to start the season, I still think 8-4 is very possible. The goal used to be get to 6 wins anyway you can and make a bowl. Now it's get to the best bowl you can and win it. That's real progress.

Shit show? What? IU lost by 6, not great but a shit show? An Ole Miss team was averaging 40pts per game and we held them to 26. That includes IU giving up 2 turnovers and IU causing no turnovers. Our QB threw 45 times and still managed to just get to 200 yds. There was an obvious drop off in our offense from when Penix played and after. So to use the Ole Miss game as a reason to prove that as an aberration seems a bit lopsided.

I think Iowa needs to prove IU isn't who we were.

Always wonder if going with Dexter would have been better than an injured Tuttle. His injury seemed to hinder our offense so much that I would think having a healthy QB with no experience may have been better.

You most certainly can lose a game to a 5-5 team when you are playing with a guy who has one game under his belt. So while I get what you are thinking and fully understand you are just passionate and worried, but I do believe its misguided.

Always wonder if going with Dexter would have been better than an injured Tuttle. His injury seemed to hinder our offense so much that I would think having a healthy QB with no experience may have been better.
Agreed. Some of Tuttle's throws were hard to watch, and it wasn't his fault.

First off, we can’t compare the Big Ten to the SEC. The SEC is on a different planet from the rest of the conferences. We’re not in even close to competing in the SEC. Neither are 13 of the 14 teams in our conference.

That said, thankfully we play in the Big Ten. Only one team on our schedule has SEC type talent. I wouldn’t be surprised with 6 wins. I wouldn’t be surprised with 9 wins. I think it’s going to be fun and I think the fan base is solidly all in on Allen and won’t give up just because of a few tough losses if they come.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
First off, we can’t compare the Big Ten to the SEC. The SEC is on a different planet from the rest of the conferences. We’re not in even close to competing in the SEC. Neither are 13 of the 14 teams in our conference.

That said, thankfully we play in the Big Ten. Only one team on our schedule has SEC type talent. I wouldn’t be surprised with 6 wins. I wouldn’t be surprised with 9 wins. I think it’s going to be fun and I think the fan base is solidly all in on Allen and won’t give up just because of a few tough losses if they come.

haha Oh boy. This is why everyone ignores you. Someone forgot to tell Auburn they were in the SEC then because Northwestern smoked them in the bowl game last year and lost to Minnesota the year prior. A below average IU gave away a game vs one of the better Tennessee teams in the last couple of decades 2 years ago. Ohio State almost doubled up what was supposed to be a dominant Clemson team last year. The SEC has one maybe two really good teams each year just like the B1G does. I would put the B1G East division up against any other conferences division any day.

Reactions: IUgradman
It was a disaster. No way around that. Ole Miss had a losing record and had most of their starters opt out or injured. We got dominated by their 2nd string. Let’s just call it what it was.

Thankfully we’re not in the SEC and don’t have to play that talent until our bowl game at earliest. We can beat everyone on our schedule this year. One at a time.

Most of their starters? Wow, talk about an over exaggeration. Proof?

The SEC typically has a team that is better than our best team but after that its mediocrity at its finest. Hence the reason a team like IU goes to Mizzou and beats them. The only team that doesn't belong in the SEC or the B1G is Purdue. Get rid of them and the B1G is a superior conference than the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT