ADVERTISEMENT

Excellent article in today's Indy Star on IU's historic season....

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
when they made to the CWS with a lot of quotes from some of the players on the team. I don't think it's a free article and you have to have a subscription to access it. There were quotes from the players about how the FSU fans and the press there thought the Seminoles were in for a cakewalk into the CWS. FSU officials set up the press conference for the coaches in the FSU trophy room with Tracy Smith answering questions with all of the trophies and photos of former FSU stars in the background, which was no accident. Kyle Hart said the fans out near the bullpen were really knowledgeable of IU's players and were mocking his physique and he said they also knew the names of his parents. I remember IU's sweep down there to win the super regional was pretty much a shock to everyone in the Tallahassee area. If you can access it, it's a pretty entertaining article.

I remember thinking that was the best home field advantage I’d ever seen in baseball. The crowd chanted, sang, yelled, and were totally into every pitch. Made me wonder if IU could ever replicate that. Probably a pipe dream.

Reactions: ptrich
And they by chance developed a tradition in 1988 of singing the Canadian national anthem in the middle of the fifth inning.. mainly the animals section of fans. That group are die hard fans sitting behind team dugout. According to an article they were losing a game and bored an because the Calgary Winter Olympics were happening same time someone suggested they sing it and FSU came from behind to win. The Bart could top that by singing the “Marseilles” in French of course!

Reactions: mk23
I have several friends who are FSU alums. They were shocked we competed let alone win. We smoked them at home. Need to follow it up with another trip. Go Hoosiers!

Those who went were shocked at how big our guys were physically. They had little fast guys.

Reactions: mk23
I have several friends who are FSU alums. They were shocked we competed let alone win. We smoked them at home. Need to follow it up with another trip. Go Hoosiers!

Those who went were shocked at how big our guys were physically. They had little fast guys.
The Schwarber/Travis combo was a nightmare for FSU. BTW, Schwarber hit two homers today for the Nats. I saw that it was his ninth multi-homer game since he entered the big leagues. He has 12 homers on the season so far.

ADVERTISEMENT