ADVERTISEMENT

Every B1G Team has high % 3pt shooters but IU

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
why is this not the #1 priority for Archie in recruiting. The shot clock sucks and it makes 3pt shooting more important as the motion offense does not have enough time to develop an open shot.

Reactions: hoosier48
why is this not the #1 priority for Archie in recruiting. The shot clock sucks and it makes 3pt shooting more important as the motion offense does not have enough time to develop an open shot.

Plenty of time when you get the ball up the floor and start your offense at 20-22 seconds instead of walking it up and dribbling it out top until 12 seconds to go. There’s literally zero benefit in doing that, yet we do it all the time. A lot of teams do, so it’s not just us.

I think it is a priority. He knows as well as anyone that we desperately need shooters. The problem is that he can't get one to commit. At present, that's Archie's primary liability.

I think Miller knows what we need, he just can’t recruit well enough to adequately address it.
Maybe try smiling once in awhile. And I'm only half joking. Kids don't necessarily want to play for a guy who looks like his dog just died.

Reactions: iulb
Maybe try smiling once in awhile. And I'm only half joking. Kids don't necessarily want to play for a guy who looks like his dog just died.

I think players generally like playing for him. We haven’t had a lot of transfer activity while he’s been here anyways.

I had a long post working on how I think this is a big difference between he and Crean. And how the perception is the exact opposite. Crean runs his teams into the ground. And always has high transfer rates. Yet because he’s so clappy, and he had DWade, he’s portrayed as a “players coach”. Archie the opposite. I think Archie relates to players a lot better than Crean. He just needs a couple closers. Especially if he has a strategy to bleed the clock late in games for some reason.

I think players generally like playing for him. We haven’t had a lot of transfer activity while he’s been here anyways.

I had a long post working on how I think this is a big difference between he and Crean. And how the perception is the exact opposite. Crean runs his teams into the ground. And always has high transfer rates. Yet because he’s so clappy, and he had DWade, he’s portrayed as a “players coach”. Archie the opposite. I think Archie relates to players a lot better than Crean. He just needs a couple closers. Especially if he has a strategy to bleed the clock late in games for some reason.
The one thing that gives me hope is next year will be the wild west with transfers. Maybe we find a shooter and some size.

I think you nailed it, he has no charisma like a Cal or a coaching resume that says I'll get you to the NBA like a Cal or Coach K. He asks them to commit to gimmick D and a horribly boring and bad offense, why would a good shooter or offensive player want to commit?

Has Archie ever recruited a shooter? I mean Franklin was decent but has got better but to my knowledge he has never recruited a James Blackmon type of shooter or even less athletic guy like Matt Roth.

The one thing that gives me hope is next year will be the wild west with transfers. Maybe we find a shooter and some size.

So your "betting on the come" card? In Texas Hold'em terms, you have the 2 of clubs, 3 of spades, 5 of diamonds and 6 of hearts. You need a 4 of any kind for the gut shot straight on the river.....and the other players have mucked 3 of the 4 in the deck. Yeah, that is over the top optimism. I think you should go all in with that....DWS

Archie does not value shooters or they would already be on the roster. Compounding that is that BS packline D that gives up 3s at an alarming rate which gives inferior teams with great shooters a chance to win.

Next.

Everyone keeps saying this, but has it ever occured to anyone that our guys can transfer too as part of that wild west? No sit out opens the door for even guys like TJD and Lander. We might be adding some pieces, but we are likely to be losing some too.

Reactions: BigMobe and .Gerdis
Everyone keeps saying this, but has it ever occured to anyone that our guys can transfer too as part of that wild west? No sit out opens the door for even guys like TJD and Lander. We might be adding some pieces, but we are likely to be losing some too.

oh if you don’t think lander is already thinking transfer, I need what you’re smoking. 3 minutes a game for one of the worst teams in the big ten? Hard pass.

Reactions: BigMobe
Has Archie ever recruited a shooter? I mean Franklin was decent but has got better but to my knowledge he has never recruited a James Blackmon type of shooter or even less athletic guy like Matt Roth.

This is the baffling part.

oh if you don’t think lander is already thinking transfer, I need what you’re smoking. 3 minutes a game for one of the worst teams in the big ten? Hard pass.
I don't smoke anymore.

...edibles all the way, Baby!

Yeah, I just have to assume CAM recognizes this and will try and increase his minutes. I get sitting a guy if he's not playing D or showing the effort you demand in practice, but he's obviously got talent and it's not like the guy(s) in front of him are setting the world on fire. I'd actually like to see he and Franklin in the backcourt together, since Franklin can also help handle the ball. Maybe that pick and roll game we heard so much about could get us a few easy baskets. Lander, Franklin, TJD, Race and then Galloway/Durham at the 3 is a group I'd like to see more of.

I don't smoke anymore.

Yeah, I just have to assume CAM recognizes this and will try and increase his minutes. I get sitting a guy if he's not playing D or showing the effort you demand in practice, but he's obviously got talent and it's not like the guy(s) in front of him are setting the world on fire. I'd actually like to see he and Franklin in the backcourt together, since Franklin can also help handle the ball. Maybe that pick and roll game we heard so much about could get us a few easy baskets. Lander, Franklin, TJD, Race and then Galloway/Durham at the 3 is a group I'd like to see more of.

Id like Rob to never play for us again. He is really really good on D, but find me a worse guard in the big ten on the offensive end. He can’t dribble, his passes have no confidence, atrocious shooter, he just is awful offensively. Not worth the reward on D. IU would be much better going forward if he never played again.

• Wow
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I don't smoke anymore.

IMO pandering to a player who is not yet ready by giving him sympathy minutes isn't the answer. The coaches need to sit with lander and discuss on film what he needs to work on and where they see him fitting in if he does...and if he doesn't.

Id like Rob to never play for us again. He is really really good on D, but find me a worse guard in the big ten on the offensive end. He can’t dribble, his passes have no confidence, atrocious shooter, he just is awful offensively. Not worth the reward on D. IU would be much better going forward if he never played again.

Don't let your emotions overload your rational side. We are much worse team without Phinisee. I think he is suffering from poor player development as has been the case with many guys exposed to this coaching staff.

Don't let your emotions overload your rational side. We are much worse team without Phinisee. I think he is suffering from poor player development as has been the case with many guys exposed to this coaching staff.

We are arguably the second worst team in the big ten with him. This isn’t emotional. This is watching every second he has played over the last 3 years and watching almost every possible second of the rest of big ten basketball.

we are better than Nebraska, that is it, due to our guard play, and specifically Rob. You could take 3 guards off almost every team that would be a major upgrade over Rob. Literally every starting guard outside of Nebraska is better.

He is not a big ten caliber player, he is a massive liability. IU fans have problems identifying or even admitting when one of their own is a cancer.

Romeo was horrible for our team and some folks still won’t admit it. He was allowed to do whatever he wanted and shot an awful percentage leading us to a NIT birth. If Rob continues to play 20- 25 minutes we will be right back in the NIT. Hell, we might not make that.

We are arguably the second worst team in the big ten with him. This isn’t emotional. This is watching every second he has played over the last 3 years and watching almost every possible second of the rest of big ten basketball.

we are better than Nebraska, that is it, due to our guard play, and specifically Rob. You could take 3 guards off almost every team that would be a major upgrade over Rob. Literally every starting guard outside of Nebraska is better.

He is not a big ten caliber player, he is a massive liability. IU fans have problems identifying or even admitting when one of their own is a cancer.

Romeo was horrible for our team and some folks still won’t admit it. He was allowed to do whatever he wanted and shot an awful percentage leading us to a NIT birth. If Rob continues to play 20- 25 minutes we will be right back in the NIT. Hell, we might not make that.

So every bit of this is on the players? The coaching staff carries no burden in selecting them and making them better?

I'm not saying the player doesn't have some responsibility for his improvement but the staff has an equivalent responsibility to improve them.

Sometimes I think some fans would be happy if the entire team transfered.

So every bit of this is on the players? The coaching staff carries no burden in selecting them and making them better?

I'm not saying the player doesn't have some responsibility for his improvement but the staff has an equivalent responsibility to improve them.

Oh no, this is a major Archie problem. If he doesn’t correct it and play the freshmen more it should and will cost him his job.

If this play continues we will finish 5-15 to 7-13. In order to even go .500 something is gonna have to change dramatically. We can dream that it is gonna be Parker Stewart, but hell, he probably won’t play anyways.

So your "betting on the come" card? In Texas Hold'em terms, you have the 2 of clubs, 3 of spades, 5 of diamonds and 6 of hearts. You need a 4 of any kind for the gut shot straight on the river.....and the other players have mucked 3 of the 4 in the deck. Yeah, that is over the top optimism. I think you should go all in with that....DWS

Archie does not value shooters or they would already be on the roster. Compounding that is that BS packline D that gives up 3s at an alarming rate which gives inferior teams with great shooters a chance to win.

Next.
I don’t understand the criticism of the D. It’s statistically one of the best in the country and it was statistically leading the Big Ten against the 3 point shot before the game last night. I like watching good defensive teams and IU has one. I also like watching my team hit outside shots at a good clip and they’re not there yet, except Franklin. Got to be happy with the tremendous improvement in his play and shooting.

Oh no, this is a major Archie problem. If he doesn’t correct it and play the freshmen more it should and will cost him his job.

If this play continues we will finish 5-15 to 7-13. In order to even go .500 something is gonna have to change dramatically. We can dream that it is gonna be Parker Stewart, but hell, he probably won’t play anyways.

I feel the same about watching an Archie coached team as I did with a Mike Davis team......and wonder if MD wasn't a slightly better X&O guy while Archie might be a slightly better recruiter. No matter how you look at it we are not good.

Reactions: kkott and Cavanagh
I don’t understand the criticism of the D. It’s statistically one of the best in the country and it was statistically leading the Big Ten against the 3 point shot before the game last night. I like watching good defensive teams and IU has one. I also like watching my team hit outside shots at a good clip and they’re not there yet, except Franklin. Got to be happy with the tremendous improvement in his play and shooting.

We can agree to disagree. Sure playing hard helps but this D is bad.

Anderson was suppose to be a three point shooter. We know how that worked out. We are showing a little improvement in our outside shooting. Penn St made a lot of contested shots. I am gonna let the season play out before I pass judgement. we need another big in the transfer portal..

We had 2 open scholarships to address some possible challenges that we might have for this year. Shooting and another big. The coaching staff decided to bank the 2 scholarships. Parker Stewart 6’5 SG has recently filled one spot on Dec 15th... ON DECEMBER THE 15TH. The other possible challenge is another big. I know you can’t control when injuries happen, but with the injury to Joey Brunk we could’ve used that 13th scholarship on a big. There were a lot of graduate transfer shooting guards and bigs in the transfer portal that we didn’t pursue.

Plenty of time when you get the ball up the floor and start your offense at 20-22 seconds instead of walking it up and dribbling it out top until 12 seconds to go.

That's because they still haven't figured out the first step in defeating a 2-3 zone.....

McHoop

We had 2 open scholarships to address some possible challenges that we might have for this year. Shooting and another big. The coaching staff decided to bank the 2 scholarships. Parker Stewart 6’5 SG has recently filled one spot on Dec 15th... ON DECEMBER THE 15TH. The other possible challenge is another big. I know you can’t control when injuries happen, but with the injury to Joey Brunk we could’ve used that 13th scholarship on a big. There were a lot of graduate transfer shooting guards and bigs in the transfer portal that we didn’t pursue.
The post issue I understand and I think shouldve been addressed. I've stated many times, it's hard to find a power 5 roster that doesn't have at least 4 guys 6'9" or bigger... we had 2 with Brunk and now have 1 that probably is actually 6'8". Many teams have 6, some have 7. There's nothing magical about 6'9", but to me guys that height and taller need to be able to defend the post. The composition of the 2020 class to me never made sense and should've had at least 1 post. But, if we don't have a spot open, then no Parker Stewart and I think he may end up better than a generic grad transfer. I actually kind of like running with 1 open scholly and Archie indicated he may do that. It allows some flexibility with guys like that, or w a Mohammed who indicated he may want to come early. But leaving 1 open makes it more critical to have a complete roster on board.

What do you have to say about the statistics which indicate the D is actually very good? How do you reconcile that with your belief that it’s bad?

You not picking up on what I am saying. The weakness of the packline is that it requires recovery to the 3 point line to contest that shot. Many lesser talented teams use the 3 pt shot as an equalizer to cover for a lack of frontcourt talent. Those teams will make you look bad and beat you.

Teams with a more interior focused offense are actually easier for the packline to defend. It does stop drives for the most part and keeps most interior guys in check. The packline will feast on teams like ours with poor shooters and mostly interior players.

The teams that are talented enough to have both weapons are going to wreak havoc on us. Oh sure we will look competitive by playing hard but the scheme exposes too many individual players weaknesses. So while shooting stats may show some effectiveness, the W-L stat is the one that matters. So far in the Archie era, that stat just isn't all that great.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I feel the same about watching an Archie coached team as I did with a Mike Davis team......and wonder if MD wasn't a slightly better X&O guy while Archie might be a slightly better recruiter. No matter how you look at it we are not good.
Whoa now. ;) Both teams played/play good defense, but Davis' offense, except on the run to the championship game when the former Knight players seemed to remember how to play some offense, was horrendous. It was no fun watching. It depended standing around the outside of the three point line, getting the ball to one of the players and having that player figure out how to get himself open and shoot the ball. They rarely used a screen. While Miller's offense has not been good except in spurts, the problem isn't with the scheme, it's with the poor shooting. They're getting the ball in positions to drive, make a layup or dunk, which they do at a decent enough clip, or to shoot a 3, which they don't do at a good enough clip. They get good open shots, but other than Franklin they're not hitting at the rate they need to hit. When they do start hitting them like they did for a good couple stretches last night he offense looks very good, inside and out.

Whoa now. ;) Both teams played good defense, but Davis' offense, except on the run to the championship game when the former Knight players seemed to remember how to play some offense, was horrendous. It was no fun watching. It depended standing around the outside of the three point line, getting the ball to one of the players and having that player figure out how to get himself open and shoot the ball. They rarely used a screen. While Miller's offense has not been good except in spurts, the problem isn't with the scheme, it's with the poor shooting. They're getting the ball in positions to drive, make a layup or dunk, which they do at a decent enough clip, or to shoot a 3, which they don't do a good enough clip. They get good open shots, but other than Franklin they're not hitting at the rate they need to hit. When they do start hitting them like they did for a good couple stretches last night he offense looks very good, inside and out.

In short, I find the packline D to comparable to the "Orlando 1" offense

UGH never thought about Lander transferring. Eventually with more playing time he is going to be a great guard.

UGH never thought about Lander transferring. Eventually with more playing time he is going to be a great guard.

A good coach would play him a lot more this year. Again, if you cant see that we are a bottom of the pack team in the big ten, you have not been watching the big ten. Throwing Lander in the fire cannot hurt anything, it can only help the future.

I have no idea how Lander thinks, but logically..... and 18 year old that is super talented and this team isn't even good and he gets 3 minutes? Ya he got 2 fouls, but he didn't get 2 fouls in the NW game when he got 3 minutes. ILL he got 6....

Got to give him minutes or I would be shocked if he isn't gone.

I have no idea how Lander thinks, but logically..... and 18 year old that is super talented and this team isn't even good and he gets 3 minutes?

Maybe Lander has a backbone and thinks he needs to get better on the defensive end.
Why did he get 2 fouls last night? He got two fouls because he stands upright instead of getting in a stance, and he doesn't move his feet.
He was clearly pissed at himself after the 2nd foul last night. He knows what he needs to do to get more PT. I'm sure he has a dialog and relationship with the coaching staff.
He'll be OK. If he's one to transfer at any hint of adversity, then be gone.

A good coach would play him a lot more this year. Again, if you cant see that we are a bottom of the pack team in the big ten, you have not been watching the big ten. Throwing Lander in the fire cannot hurt anything, it can only help the future.

I have no idea how Lander thinks, but logically..... and 18 year old that is super talented and this team isn't even good and he gets 3 minutes? Ya he got 2 fouls, but he didn't get 2 fouls in the NW game when he got 3 minutes. ILL he got 6....

Got to give him minutes or I would be shocked if he isn't gone.
He’s not on the floor because he hasn’t earned playing time. Not sure what’s so tough to understand. The hype machine here greatly overestimated his ability to contribute right away, but that’s what fans do. If he could help us, Miller would play him. He can’t, so he doesn’t.

Reactions: TommyCracker
no knock to Lander, but I've caught as many IU games as my schedule allows this year, and I've yet to see him spend more than 2-3 minutes on the court without getting into immediate foul trouble...and back to the bench for the remainder of the game. Opposing teams see the scouting report- and for Lander it has to be simple- beat him off the dribble, take him to the hole, draw the foul, and send kid back to the bench. Happened again last night...getting taken off the dribble at will.

There are those on the site who want him to start and see heavy playing time now, for development's sake, but I don't think he can play defense at this level- at least now, at this moment-. He would foul out before his playing time hit 10 minutes in a game.

ADVERTISEMENT