ADVERTISEMENT

Even though our subdivision has "No Soliciting" signs at

TMP has heaven hounds on his trail

That story sounds as made up as Robert Johnson's. Exactly how good is the best guitarist in Fort Wayne? Is that like being the best dressed person in Terre Haute?

I have a policy about buying periodicals from illiterates.

I don't.

I absolutely hate people with the attitude you describe. Using "help me" as an entitlement or a sales pitch. Ask them if they've...

...made amends.

John Forbing is a master ..

Brian Lemert has signature guitars named after him and he's never recorded. John Scott records in LA, John Scheafer was the leader of Iced Earth, which was a very successful Euro Metal band. All John's students.

Do you think the best guitarist come from big cities or something? Surrey is very big, right? As is Avalon Mississippi.

Forbing's band in the 80's went national and they recorded two discs. They also toured the nation as a front band for many famous acts. LaBov and Beyond.. they were like Loverboy.. LOL. which I tease him about to this day.

Robert Johnson's story wasn't made up, he did sell his soul.. in a way, by taking lessons, in Little Rock Arkansas, where he found he had perfect pitch. Son House and Willie Brown made up the story, or stole it from Tommy Johnson, as it was the only way they could explain Robert's miraculous improvement. This is easily seen by Robert's use of barre chords, while most black guitarists used thumb over grips. He had formal classical training, which black people just didn't get at that time. The devil in this case is white man.. though his teacher was part black he too had formal classical training..

They were very superstitious. anything odd was the Devil's work. And when Robert could steal their licks by ear instead of sight, that was to them unnatural. Hence he sold his soul.

This post was edited on 10/10 1:50 PM by The_Merry_Prankster

The same for

Ralph Macchio.

(Sorry, can't post the link at work, but I know you know what I meant. Help a brother out.)

That's two guitarists .. The blues stuff is Ry Cooder

and the classical IIRC is David Lindley .. amazing playing on that soundtrack.

Ry was channeling his inner Robert.

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!

Like Willie Brown said to Eugene (I'm paraphrasing) "Long Island, the home of countless famous bluesmen." My point being that when I think Fort Wayne I don't think great guitarists.

you bought it??

Wwwooowww.

I got roped into it too but did get a clean carpet.

That thing was too expensive for me.

Hopefully Zeke at least waited until the third pitch.

They dropped the price by something like a grand from the first offer to the third. We still weren't even considering it, or at least I wasn't. My wife loved it, but I never buy anything without researching the hell out of it on Consumer Reports and other review sites.

Labov and Beyond...

Good memory. My wife has worked for Barry Labov for 20+ years. You can find their MTV video for "On a Night Like This" on YouTube. Loverboy...that's pretty good. I think Barry sports a Loverboy-type headband in that video. Of course he doesn't need one anymore.

We have had those at our house

Sometimes they are selling chocolate and other times they have been selling magazines. I get the feeling a slave driver has dropped them off and they can't stop until they have met their quota.

Besides candy bars or Girl Scout cookies from neighbors, I have only bought one thing from a door to door salesman. We used to have a guy that would come by once every 6 months selling a cleaner based on oranges and citric acid. Sure you can buy someting similar in the store, but his product was concentrated and he would always clean grease off a car or a stain off the driveway. He would give us a spray bottle with the product. He was a good salesman and I appreciated the fact he would show up in 6 months to sell us more. Better yet, we used that stuff in different ratios for everything. It was a good product. We haven't seen him for some time. I would like to think someone offered him a sales job or he moved on to something better. This was a guy that did his job well and didn't annoy me. He reminded me of young Garrett Morris.

why didn't you just stare them down?

Being in sales myself, if ignored no soliciting signs, I'd starve. I laugh a little every time I see one.

But then again, there is a right and wrong way to approach people. These guys failed. Miserably.

I respect the "No soliciting" signs--unless I am friends with

the prospective customer. If not, I merely write down the account's name, get the contact information off the internet or phone book and then contact the account for an appointment.

When I call that prospect, I make sure and tell him or her that I didn't go into their office because of the "No Soliciting" sign and thought I better call for an appointment instead. That usually gets me an appointment because it makes the prospective customer feel guilty.

The best guitarist in Fort Wayne is Kenny Taylor.

He's likely the best in Indiana. He is absolutely incredible.

Mike and I know each other. We only live about 10-12 minutes

away from each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT