ADVERTISEMENT

Even though our subdivision has "No Soliciting" signs at

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
both of its entrances, we had solicitors Wednesday night. I was in the front yard edging our sidewalk when a guy in his twenties approached me and wanted to ask me questions.

I immediately informed him about our no soliciting rules and he merely brushed it aside and proceeded to begin his questioning process again. At that time, I told him to get off my property. Once again, he ignored me and went back to his presentation.

By that time, I was irritated and told him to get off my property or I would break him in two. One of his associates showed up at just about that time and I told them I would break both of them in two. I had just gotten those words out of my mouth when another associate of theirs walked up to my yard. This time it was a young woman.

Irritated that they weren't getting off my property, I told them I was going to call the police and pulled out my cell phone. One of them said it was a violation of their right to freedom of speech. I replied that I had a degree in journalism and knew the laws about communication. I said they were breaking the law by being on my property without permission. The woman then replied it wasn't all about me.

At that point, I ran them off my property and called the police to report them. The police department has instructed us to contact it any time we have solicitors.

The police finally arrived and ordered the three individuals out of our neighborhood. It turns out they were with a carpet company out of Greenwood.

I am in direct sales myself and will not go into an office if there is a "No Soliciting" sign unless I am friends with the individual I am there to see. If I don't know the contact, I will write down the name of the business, get its phone number out of the phone book and call for an appointment. Of course, I tell the individual I honor "No Soliciting" signs and it seems to help me get an appointment in most cases.

Why does anybody have to be as pushy as those three idiots?

They're clearly unfamiliar with the concept of not

tugging on Superman's cape. The cops saved them. They got lucky.

I'm with you though, McNutt. The solicitors that come around are really obnoxious. My wife made the mistake of allowing a woman to come by the house to demonstrate a vacuum cleaner a couple months ago. I think they were from Kirby? She was there for at least two hours and wasn't allowed to leave by her handlers until she was completely done with the demo. Three different handlers came by at different times to check on her and to put on the big sell schtick. They didn't care that I was upstairs trying to give three small screaming kids baths and was telling them it was time to go. My wife learned from that experience and won't allow that again. She's usually a hard ass about that kind of stuff, but I guess she wanted our carpet and blinds cleaned for the low price of some time and irritation.

The "students" who come around trying to sell books are obnoxious too. One kid didn't even care that we were having my daughter's second bday party when he walked up to us on our driveway trying to sell us stuff. He finally left but came back a couple days later and was not happy when I told him to get lost. I didn't have any other problems with him though.

You've got some anger issues.....

just say "I'm not interested thank you. Good luck." and they'd be on their way.

While he didn't use those words, the solicitors should have left

especially after the second time they were asked to do so.

Just did that the other day and got a...

knocked over potted plant for my courtesy.

I was laughing about it thinking that my usual hostile approach probably would've been better.

You should get a life and some needed therapy

Will you call the police on Halloween because the kids did not cease trick-or-treating
by 8:00 PM (or whatever time is the suggested time to stop) and they were not from your
snooty subdivision

If you are in sales, you should be able to handle

and diffuse without issue. I get it - we don't like solicitors either, but is it worth escalating to that degree? They are just tryiing to make a buck.....and that is a very hard job.

I had one yesterday - said thank you but not interested - in a respectful way. No big deal.....

Example of me being a "good Christian"

I also hate solicitors. In the spring had the obligatory "lawn guy" come up to see me their services...We use all green for fertilizer and other crap. I told him we use All Green and he gets this smug look on his face and "Oh really", and he gets ready to point out how terrible a job they do.

At that point I stop him and say, "why don't you hit the road?", He replies, "yeah?"...I say, "yeah" and slam the door in his face.

Brotherly love fellas brotherly love...

You should have stalked them

confronted them, until they confronted you back, and then shot them. Claim they were wearing hoodies. It would so work.

Careful with those threats of physical harm.

They'll shoot you dead and claim Stand Your Ground as a defense.

A "no solicitation" sign isn't going to help you with that.

Sure, there on your property, but they're not in your property. I think it makes a difference with regard to justifiable use of deadly force, which "breaking someone in two" is, essentially, unless you're yelling at a worm since bifurcation is fatal in humans.

Why didn't you just stare them down?

That surely would have struck the fear of Allah in them.

They should have left....

but they probably just stuck around because he's the "didn't you see the no soliciting sign?!?!" guy.

You're drinking cranberry juice today, aren't you?

On your period, you are.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Oh man, we got stuck with Kirby one evening

It was a nightmare. At first, I thought they were a new carpet cleaning company, like Stanley Steemer or something, so I agreed to let them clean our great room. I figured, what the heck..it needed cleaning. Well it turns out the lady was trying to sell a Kirby vaccuum cleaner. Well, she proceeds to clean our carpet with her handler checking on her ever so often. 3 effing hrs later, she's still finishing up, and this was after I finally said she had to stop. Apparently, she is supposed to get like 50 samples of the dirt she is getting from our floor. I told her no way, and cut her off at 30. Meanwhile, by this time, my wife has dinner cooking and our kids are going nuts as well.

The handler comes back, and has been nice as can be. He asks if we are interested and I tell him No. He then proceeds to ask what we pay for our cable, as if to say that if we can afford cable, we can afford his vacuum cleaner. He then carries on a conversation with the lady saying, "I would never let my kids play on a carpet that dirty" etc.....Well that about put my wife over the edge. I told him they had been there long enough and that they all needed to leave. Needless to say, once he realized he wasn't getting any of our money, he was rude not only to me but to the lady doing the actual cleaning.

Word of advice to anyone approached by Kirby, don't do it. They will be there for hours.

Mohammad's sword was named Bifurcator...

or Zul'fiqar. Some say it means twin tail or twin tongue, but it doesn't. It means man splitter.

it's the one you see on all the flags. His other swords were named beater, sharp, white metal .. etc etc

Or close to that. Mohammad had no imagination .. none. No wonder he was so pent up and frustrated.

He must've (ji)had some sort of imagination.

After all how many revelations and night journeys did he have? didn't he ascend to the skies of jerusalem and have dinner with Jesus and all the OT prophets...and God?

He either had a great imagination or was profoundly psychotic.

tell them you're not interested, start up the edger, ignore them, & they

are bound to go away.

You seem to love drama.

I get the Jehovah's witnesses every Saturday. I smile, say I'm busy and haven't the time to talk but that I will take their pamphlet. I take it to the recycling bin as they move on down the street. 5 minutes of being nice rather than 30 minutes of arguing and drama.

Granted these 5 minutes replay themselves out 20 times a year, but I don't like the drama and they are not worth the cop's time to bother with.

I'm nice to the J Witnesses b/c they always have little kids with them.

Makes me sad.

I once had a JW come to the door on a Sunday..

his first words were "is that your Martin"? While looking at my guitar. He quit with the religious speak and started talking guitars. His name was John, he's the best guitarist in FW, and the best teacher. We became friends. He came by every Sunday under the guise of witnessing, but it was really to play guitar. He taught me a lot..

My friends accused me of selling my soul to Christ for the licks. Like Robert Johnson but with affiliation to the other side ..lol

This post was edited on 10/10 12:48 PM by The_Merry_Prankster

Our association and the police both want us to call the

police when there are solicitors in our subdivision. There were some solicitors who were brought by the van load from Indy a few years ago and our neighborhood had a bunch of break-ins a few days later. In other words, they were casing the place.

I said I wasn't interested, I told him I was too busy, etc. and

he wouldn't take "No" for an answer.

I think I forgot to mention I called the police on a solicitor who

was selling magazines a few years ago. I gave him a $20.00 bill, said I didn't need any of his magazines and told him to give a subscription to someone who needed one, but didn't have the money. As he started to leave, he made the mistake of asking me about individuals at some of the other houses near mine. He wanted to know what hours they were at home, how old they were, etc.

All of the sudden, I realized he was a dishonest person. After he left my home, I called the police and he got arrested for theft. It seems he used this magazine job as a front to case homes and later break into them.

I also had the owner of a roofing company stop by my home when we were in the process of getting quotes for a new roof a few years ago. When he told me his name, I put two and two together. I had just read in the newspaper a few days ago there was a guy on the loose who was quoting people for roofing jobs, taking money up front and then never showing up to do the roofing job. Once again, I contacted the police and they caught him a day or two later.

about a year ago I had a similar issue with two guys in rehabilitation...

program.

They were selling magazine subscriptions and started off by saying they were from the inner city and were trying to make better lives for themselves. Right away I told them that I don't get magazine subscriptions and that while I appreciate what they're doing, I wasn't interested.

At that point, they asked my why I wouldn't want to help those less fortunate get back on track. I told them that I wasn't against helping people get back on track, but I wasn't going to do it through magazine subscriptions. They then asked for a general donation, which I thought was kind of shady. I then made some excuse as to why I had to get back to dinner and they expressed their disappointment through hems and haws and a "whatever".

I can't imagine they were too successful selling their magazine subscriptions...

Odd.

hammer and beater were the names of two of his Swords..

Beater and Biter were the Y'rch names of Glamdring and Orcrist.

Was he saying in a odd way that Orcs are Mooslims..

I can count the number of confrontations, like the one

you describe, that i've been a part of on one hand (maybe)...you seem to have them every week (at the very least WAY too frequently).

Take it down a notch...or 50.

that happened to me too

They got in by offering to clean the carpet for free. I had an appt for that the next week, so thought I'd say some money. Big mistake. I told them I had a Dyson was not interested in the least, and had a Christmas party that night. I bought the ridiculously expensive vacuum to get them out of my damn house.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

That's a good point.

If everyone you meet in life is an a$$ hole or has some sort of an issue...well, they're not the a$$ hole...you are.

I am going to come up with a list and ask Peegs...

which of you are made up people...

Why not post signs featuring a thousand yard stare instead?

That would keep them out and make sure to protect all them vulnerable womenfolk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT