ADVERTISEMENT

EV Tactical Vehicles

When the Abrams rolled through Kuwait and later through Iraq its turbo shaft helicopter engine ran on Jet A, readily available at a in theater refinery in Oman. Logistics to keep the tanks rolling and the helicopters flying was masterful.

While electric drive may indeed provide an element of surprise, they cannot sustain a high operating tempo as the recharging time will be hours. Propeller driven tactical aircraft cannot replace the supersonic performance of F15s, F16s, F22s, and F35s.

I can support research into electric drive tactical vehicle, but expect them to have limited effectiveness after the first 8 hours.
Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

total idiocracy and not having the slightest idea what you're talking about, as usual.

A), EVs don't use gas, (duh), which is why i was comparing modular batteries that could be swapped out for fresh as fast as refilling a gas tank on a gas vehicle, to a built in battery that would take hours to recharge.

B), as for physical size and weight of batteries vs "40 or 50 gallons of gas" to go 200 miles.

50 gals of gas weighs over 400 pounds, and by your numbers, you get 200 miles out of it in our military vehicle.

the average EV car battery is 1,000 lbs, but in a big military vehicle, say i only get 40 miles per charge for that 1000 lbs of batteries.

to always have a fresh spare to swap out, i then need 2000 lbs of batteries. 1 battery in use, 1 charging.

with 400 lbs of gas your big vehicle can go 200 miles, that gas is gone for good, and you need 50 more gals for every additional 200 miles.

so you need 2000 lbs of gas for every 1,000 miles you go.

with 2000 lbs of batteries, i can go 50,000 or 100,000 or 150,000 miles, by continually swapping them out for each other.

so your weight comparison goes to sht once you project it out.

as to the viability of gas military vehicles vs electric, that would depend on your access to gas vs electricity in your conflict.

as to how self sustaining an EV would be absent access to an outside electricity source i have no idea, as i have no idea the ability of the vehicle itself to charge the spare and the one in use, say when going downhill.

all that said, of course it's more complicated than all that.

and in the end, the viability of each depends on access to gas and electric.

as long as access to gas is unlimited, the gas vehicle is the better option.

if access to gas is limited, the EV becomes the better option.

the EV would also be more silent and probably require less maintenance and spare parts.

but again, my modular exchangeable vs fixed nonexchangeable battery comparison was what i was originally addressing, for if/when you do go EV.

not EV vs gas.
In addition to what everyone else said. . . .

The battery in a new EV Hummer weighs 3,000 pounds and the vehicle weighs about 5 tons

An M1 A1 weighs 25 tons and the power requirements of a tank are much greater just to aim, load, and shoot the cannon. There is no way batteries can serve the purpose you intend.

But there is a good way to move an electric tank

a-m1a2-abrams-main-battle-tank-from-company-b-2nd-battalion-7th-infantry-regiment-is-loaded-onto-a-trailer-at-the-rail-marshaling-area-at-fort-stewart-georgia-may-2-the-mechanized-company-team-will-be-supporting-the-3rd-infantry-brigade-combat-team-10th-mountain-division-during-their-rotation-at-the-joint-readiness-training-center-at-fort-polk-louisiana-may-8-25-MR4CKA.jpg

In addition to what everyone else said. . . .

The battery in a new EV Hummer weighs 3,000 pounds and the vehicle weighs about 5 tons

An M1 A1 weighs 25 tons and the power requirements of a tank are much greater just to aim, load, and shoot the cannon. There is no way batteries can serve the purpose you intend.

But there is a good way to move an electric tank

a-m1a2-abrams-main-battle-tank-from-company-b-2nd-battalion-7th-infantry-regiment-is-loaded-onto-a-trailer-at-the-rail-marshaling-area-at-fort-stewart-georgia-may-2-the-mechanized-company-team-will-be-supporting-the-3rd-infantry-brigade-combat-team-10th-mountain-division-during-their-rotation-at-the-joint-readiness-training-center-at-fort-polk-louisiana-may-8-25-MR4CKA.jpg

at no time have i ever recommended or endorsed electric military vehicles, nor have i ever brought up the subject, and implying i have goes back to Pubs lying whenever the have nothing else.

the lying thing really has jumped the shark for Pubs, including on this forum, and become their prime political strategy.

what does that say about your policies and candidates when even you realize that lying all the time is either your best hope or only hope.

what does it say about you?

i don't agree with a lot of things the Wall St Dems here post, but i rarely see them resort to lying in debates or saying others said things they didn't.

what i did post, which you quoted yet didn't address at all, was accurate.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
As an owner of a plug in hybrid (that I love and I'm saving a shitton owning) I'd imagine there are some tactical advantages of EV military vehicles.

1. They are quiet as a cat and in comparison to a damn diesel engine, holy crap.

2. An electric engine is exponentially cooler than a diesel, so again it's much easier to mask them from infrared.

3. Much less parts.

4. Electricity is exponentially more efficient at slower speeds.

5. Zero warm up time, zero exhaust.

Lastly EV batteries are in a technological race to be more efficient and long lasting. Who knows where EV battery technology will be in ten years.

So in regards to today, yeah I don't see how effective it would be but as battery range gets more efficient.... there's tactical advantages to them.

• Haha
As an owner of a plug in hybrid (that I love and I'm saving a shitton owning) I'd imagine there are some tactical advantages of EV military vehicles.

1. They are quiet as a cat and in comparison to a damn diesel engine, holy crap.

2. An electric engine is exponentially cooler than a diesel, so again it's much easier to mask them from infrared.

3. Much less parts.

4. Electricity is exponentially more efficient at slower speeds.

5. Zero warm up time, zero exhaust.

Lastly EV batteries are in a technological race to be more efficient and long lasting. Who knows where EV battery technology will be in ten years.

So in regards to today, yeah I don't see how effective it would be but as battery range gets more efficient.... there's tactical advantages to them.
So why be mandating it? If the tech is better at that time then use it. Or how about having diesel generator as a back up to kick in ? Let the tech take its course if it turns out better.

Also and small point but there is no such thing as an electric engine. It is a motor .

• Love
So why be mandating it? If the tech is better at that time then use it. Or how about having diesel generator as a back up to kick in ? Let the tech take its course if it turns out better.

Also and small point but there is no such thing as an electric engine. It is a motor .

"in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king".

i suppose the main reason to have some electric vehicles, is operating where there is access to electricity, but not access to gas.

that said, i would think small and light would be how you'd want to go with electric military vehicles. (with modular exchangeable batteries).

and while possibly limited, we actually can create electricity anywhere we can set up solar or hydro or wind generation.

we can only get gas by transporting it there from somewhere else, after an elaborate drilling where available, then refining, process first.

Last edited:
  • Haha

I'm almost certain you understand engines better than I do but my uneducated guess is that without the combustion of fuel in an ev motor it's much cooler (which is why to heat an ev drains from the battery vs in a combustion engine).

My second guess is we're trying to keep ahead of a technological curve from our enemies???

I hear ya though and agree, when the tech is ready then it's ready. Maybe this helps pushing the tech?? Just guessing.

"in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king".

i suppose the main reason to have some electric vehicles, is operating where there is access to electricity, but not access to gas.

that said, i would think small and light would be how you'd want to go with electric military vehicles. (with modular exchangeable batteries).

and while possibly limited, we actually can create electricity anywhere we can set up solar or hydro or wind generation.

we can only get gas by transporting it there from somewhere else, after an elaborate drilling where available, then refining, process first.
Modular exchangeable batteries might work for an IPhone, but they don’t work for a vehicle with the power demands of a tank. The batteries are just too damn big. The only way to make enough electricity to power a tank in the field is with a truck-mounted baby nuke. Sun and wind are way too slow and inefficient.

Reactions: Univee2 and DANC
There is a role for EV in the military and as technology grows...so will that role.

Triggered people always first move to the rediculous trying to make their point.

Oh....and...as we all benefit from technology and hardware advances that stem from the military...better EV can be a result as well.

Reactions: UncleMark
There is a role for EV in the military and as technology grows...so will that role.

Triggered people always first move to the rediculous trying to make their point.

Oh....and...as we all benefit from technology and hardware advances that stem from the military...better EV can be a result as well.
talking-heads-stop-making-sense.gif

Do you mean like cordless body messagers for the navy?

• Haha
Modular exchangeable batteries might work for an IPhone, but they don’t work for a vehicle with the power demands of a tank. The batteries are just too damn big. The only way to make enough electricity to power a tank in the field is with a truck-mounted baby nuke. Sun and wind are way too slow and inefficient.
A large, onboard diesel generator might do the trick.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT