ADVERTISEMENT

ESPNU Brutalizing Brohm and Purdue

The rest of the nation and the pundits on espn for that matter don't watch every game, don't know the roster, don't know who has been injured, ect. The fans and the ad know what was done and with what and what they are likely to have in the future and what could be accomplished with that. If Brohm left and you had to start over, what would it cost to get another coach that is established and could recruit on the same level? Those that are laughing now probably aren't going to laughing later. Not saying you cant get lucky and do things in cheaper fashion but so far the results are more in favor of the former.

A Big Ten title game appearance and multiple winning seasons (and Bowl games) for Northwestern isn't what I'd call "getting lucky".

Just throwing money around doesn't win football games (as pu is about to find out)...

The rest of the nation and the pundits on espn for that matter don't watch every game, don't know the roster, don't know who has been injured, ect. The fans and the ad know what was done and with what and what they are likely to have in the future and what could be accomplished with that. If Brohm left and you had to start over, what would it cost to get another coach that is established and could recruit on the same level? Those that are laughing now probably aren't going to laughing later. Not saying you cant get lucky and do things in cheaper fashion but so far the results are more in favor of the former.

That's a hot take bro. Brohm is now going to be the 9th highest paid football coach in America, if he's really getting $6 million a year. Here's the list of all coaching salaries for 2018:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Now maybe you think that winning 13 games in 2 seasons is worth that? I absolutely do not think that it warrants a salary near that level. I'm sure his brothers, I mean assistants, all got a nice salary bump as well. PU is now outspending every team in the BIG other than O$U and UM. I'll be shocked if they ever get any results close to what those 2 teams get in terms of wins, titles, rankings and prestigious bowl games. Even though they should now EXPECT that level of success due to the amount of money being spent. Their ROI had better be a lot more than 6-7 win seasons going forward.

Reactions: 76-1 and Rakkasan29
The large investment by Purdue is in the future and not “rewarding him” for the 13 wins in 2 seasons. Is it a guarantee for future success?.....absolutely not but at least our AD has taken the next step in the direction of fixing our football program.
Unfortunately for Indiana U......your current AD will never invest in football at any level close to that.
The best part about this is......time will tell.
Season tickets are already on the rise at Purdue.
Not saying Brohm won't be great but IU did this with Crean and it did not work out. He finally had a break pout year and we gave him the extension because things look promising and you see how that worked out.

Reactions: Futureboiler
That's a hot take bro. Brohm is now going to be the 9th highest paid football coach in America, if he's really getting $6 million a year. Here's the list of all coaching salaries for 2018:

Now maybe you think that winning 13 games in 2 seasons is worth that? I absolutely do not think that it warrants a salary near that level. I'm sure his brothers, I mean assistants, all got a nice salary bump as well. PU is now outspending every team in the BIG other than O$U and UM. I'll be shocked if they ever get any results close to what those 2 teams get in terms of wins, titles, rankings and prestigious bowl games. Even though they should now EXPECT that level of success due to the amount of money being spent. Their ROI had better be a lot more than 6-7 win seasons going forward.

And Indiana comes in at #65. Just above Colorado St. and just below Wake Forest.

Sounds about right.

Reactions: IUgradman
And Indiana comes in at #65. Just above Colorado St. and just below Wake Forest.

Sounds about right.

However, surprisingly..., our assistants salary base ranked # 7 in the Big Ten. Right smack in the middle.

Given our achievements in the W column that seems more than fair. It also would seem to be a draw for up and coming young coaches from conferences like the MAC etc...

Link: https://www.cleveland.com/expo/erry-2018/03/f1ac39fff4/big_ten_schools_ranked_by_what.html

No one gives him credit for it but Tom Allen has clearly deferred what could be some of his salary to his staff salary pool. That's both an altruistic and smart move on his part (in my opinion)...

However, surprisingly..., our assistants salary base ranked # 7 in the Big Ten. Right smack in the middle.

Given our achievements in the W column that seems more than fair. It also would seem to be a draw for up and coming young coaches from conferences like the MAC etc...

Link: https://www.cleveland.com/expo/erry-2018/03/f1ac39fff4/big_ten_schools_ranked_by_what.html

No one gives him credit for it but Tom Allen has clearly deferred what could be some of his salary to his staff salary pool. That's both an altruistic and smart move on his part (in my opinion)...

Not a bad move, but he maybe needs to be a little better with his hires. Most people around here what DeBord run out on a rail. And whoever is in charge of Special Teams is an absolute disaster.

Allen has to make some personnel changes if he wants any kind of sustained success.

Reactions: Sassy61
However, surprisingly..., last year our assistants salary base ranked # 7 in the Big Ten. Right smack in the middle.

I'm not sure he deferred any salary, I think he is being paid fairly based on level of experience. But I think that the assistant salaries show that resources are available.

To me this this indicates that funds for salaries are available, and the hiring of Allen was an educated gamble that he was an up and coming star (but paid commensurate with experience) , and not a hire based on budget constraints as some suggest

Nothing is guaranteed of course. He won those 13 games with players from the previous regime. How many games will he win with top 20 to 30 classes? Do you think coaches salaries will be going down? As far as rankings and bowls, being in the west gives them an opportunity to do just that. The game has changed, and a guy like Brohm is going to be the hottest commodity going forward. They are going to have to overpay to a degree to keep him. It must be worth it to them and in the end that was a gamble they were willing to make. Time will tell. When they are playing NY day bowl games and we are sitting home with the usual 4-8, 5-7 don't complain, just have a hearty laugh at what they had to pay.

IU won 10 games in 2 years
PU has won 13 in 2 years

What do you think Brohm has done to get paid as the 3rd highest HC in the BIG and the 9th highest paid HC in the nation? Other than not go to UT and not go to U of L?

They beat us two years in a row. They are recruiting well. Us? Improved recruiting needs to pay off. At the end of the day we need to win. Period.

Reactions: IUgradman
What did ESPNu say about IU football today?

They said IU was better than Purdue in everything,
According to our friend Wiki.......Holt was DC for Petrino at WKU. When Petrino left for UK, Holt turned down UL to stay with Brohm for 3 more years at WKU. That would seem to say things about Petrino, Brohm, and Holt.

Willie Taggart (now at FSU) was 16-30 in 3 years at WKU. When he left Bobby P. was 8-4, and left after 1 year for UofL.Brohm stepped in and was 8-5 his first year and 22-5 his last two.

It seems to me he's a very good coach, and his looking at UL & Tennessee has only improved his national profile.

I agree with what you say in your last 2 paragraphs. That's why I feel we're probably screwed going forward. We have the talent to be competitive with them, at least for the next year or two, but we have to get our shit together as a program, coaching-wise. It's not looking good on that front right now.

Holt's son was at WKU

Nothing is guaranteed of course. He won those 13 games with players from the previous regime. How many games will he win with top 20 to 30 classes? Do you think coaches salaries will be going down? As far as rankings and bowls, being in the west gives them an opportunity to do just that. The game has changed, and a guy like Brohm is going to be the hottest commodity going forward. They are going to have to overpay to a degree to keep him. It must be worth it to them and in the end that was a gamble they were willing to make. Time will tell. When they are playing NY day bowl games and we are sitting home with the usual 4-8, 5-7 don't complain, just have a hearty laugh at what they had to pay.

No guarantees at all that he’s going to be getting “top 20 to 30 classes” buddy. That’s never been done at PU and I seriously doubt that Brohm bucks that statistically improbable trend. He certainly won’t this year, and he’s got his top ever recruit in a a homegrown Karlaftis (sp?). Even if they get Bell, it won’t be a top 30 recruiting class once the big boys fill their classes out. They also won’t be playing NY day bowl games at 6-6. You’re delusional. They also didn’t overpay to a degree, they overpaid to a monumental level. He’s getting top 10 HC money for doing a .500 job at PU.

Reactions: 76-1

Nothing is guaranteed is all you said that is correct.

It will never EVER be on par with the East. There is not a program in the west with OSU, michi, or PSU cred AND that would take a hundred years to create. Maybe nebraska but that will never happen again in the Big 10.

Maybe not novice but middle of the road??? Against who Fitz (a 12 year Big 10 veteran) and Ferentz (a 20 year vet). Even Chryst is a 7 year P5 vet.

Right now the only pub Brohm is getting is pretty negative. He is a 6 win a year coach getting WAY overpaid! Not a good look for purdue right now. He better get busy!

Is this an Onion parody? Brohm is a really good coach and has kicked our ass for two consecutive years. We will be fortunate if we beat Purdue once, while he is the head coach. Purdue gives a damn about their football program and paid up to keep a great coach. IU hired a guy who’s previous heading coach experience was in high school. Perhaps we should stop worrying about Purdue and start being pissed off about how we run our program?

What Brohm did inherit was 2 pretty good QB’s, Allen had to go out and recruit one because for some unknown reason his predecessor was inept at QB recruiting. The biggest difference I saw in this year’s bucket game was QB play, and Moore. Of course ,if we have a couple of CTA’s recruits Philyor and Penix playing the outcome could have been different. If’s and but’s , I know, results are the only thing that matters. My point is there is not as wide a gulf between these two programs right now as most believe, PU loses Blough, their top 2 rb’s and 3 starting OL, they better recruit well. I don’t see any high end OL recruits in that PU class, you can have all the Moore’s in the world and it won’t do you any good if your QB is on his backside.
Oh, and btw, our recruiting class is currently ranked higher than PU’s if you look at average star rating, theirs is higher in the rankings due to more commits. They will likely get Bell, but it appears just as likely we will get Cam Williams, so let’s see how the recruiting classes finish as they don’t have much room. We have 7-9 to fill and are in on some good ones, just remains to be seen who we actually get on board.

What Brohm did inherit was 2 pretty good QB’s, Allen had to go out and recruit one because for some unknown reason his predecessor was inept at QB recruiting. The biggest difference I saw in this year’s bucket game was QB play, and Moore. Of course ,if we have a couple of CTA’s recruits Philyor and Penix playing the outcome could have been different. If’s and but’s , I know, results are the only thing that matters. My point is there is not as wide a gulf between these two programs right now as most believe, PU loses Blough, their top 2 rb’s and 3 starting OL, they better recruit well. I don’t see any high end OL recruits in that PU class, you can have all the Moore’s in the world and it won’t do you any good if your QB is on his backside.
Oh, and btw, our recruiting class is currently ranked higher than PU’s if you look at average star rating, theirs is higher in the rankings due to more commits. They will likely get Bell, but it appears just as likely we will get Cam Williams, so let’s see how the recruiting classes finish as they don’t have much room. We have 7-9 to fill and are in on some good ones, just remains to be seen who we actually get on board.

I don't disagree with any of that other than it was only down to QB play. As far as this years classes we will see how it goes. I think we hold on to most of it. Going forward the ability to recruit with these results or worse will tell the tale.

I dont think you can boil the bucket loss down to a pretty good QB and a asingle freshman phenom in Moore. It's not that simple. As you say, you can have a hundred Moores but it won't matter if the QB is on his backside.

Well, we sacked their QB FIVE times! He was on his back side plenty. I don't see high end OLs on the Purdue roster right now! Best I can tell, they've got a 2 star center, 2 transfer guards from NIU and a walk on left tackle and 3 star right tackle. Compare that lineup to ours and theirs is a joke next to Linder, Knight, Cronk etc.

It was the penalties at inopportune times.
Lack of discipline.
Lack of big downfield plays (by design?)
Throwing 50 short passes and abandoning the run.

It's not talent, or personnel. It's coaching.

Its coaching the players up and getting the most out of who you have. THAT is what this team needs and I hope we get a full time DC and full time HC.

Is this an Onion parody? Brohm is a really good coach and has kicked our ass for two consecutive years. We will be fortunate if we beat Purdue once, while he is the head coach. Purdue gives a damn about their football program and paid up to keep a great coach. IU hired a guy who’s previous heading coach experience was in high school. Perhaps we should stop worrying about Purdue and start being pissed off about how we run our program?
Dumb post of the year

I dont think you can boil the bucket loss down to a pretty good QB and a asingle freshman phenom in Moore. It's not that simple. As you say, you can have a hundred Moores but it won't matter if the QB is on his backside.

Well, we sacked their QB FIVE times! He was on his back side plenty. I don't see high end OLs on the Purdue roster right now! Best I can tell, they've got a 2 star center, 2 transfer guards from NIU and a walk on left tackle and 3 star right tackle. Compare that lineup to ours and theirs is a joke next to Linder, Knight, Cronk etc.

Lack of discipline.

Its coaching the players up and getting the most out of who you have. THAT is what this team needs and I hope we get a full time DC and full time HC.

I agree with your assessment, it is coaching. I had absolutely no idea that their offensive line was manned by two former MAC players and the rest two star recruits. Damn, we had the upper hand in talent and blew it.

A walk on left tackle and MAC transfers serving as their offensive line? No wonder people think JB is a miracle worker........our line has LEGIT talent. Linder only started about 20 games at Miami of Florida, Martin is respected, as are Cronk and Knight.

Of course the kids MUST decide to play smarter. It is coaching, but our kids played really stupid with penalties that killed momentum. I think IU had way more talent than Purdue, excluding Moore.

Reactions: ESalum86 and IUCX9
Those of you STILL saying Allen is as good or better than Brohm need to take a deep breath and get a breath of fresh air. It was a silly thought when they were hired, a ridiculously biased opinion last year, and now...it’s just living outside reality. I can’t we all still have to sort through those posts.
You mean like your reality, “it’s happening folks, Billy Donovan is in Bloomington” LOL

Lack of discipline.

I’m wondering if you were at the Bucket game ? If so you would have seen multiple receivers wide open on multiple occasions that Ramsey never even attempted to get the ball to, a couple that would have been easy long touchdowns. In my view, Ramsey doesn’t see the field well, he didn’t see open receivers all year, is that coaching ? Maybe, but I don’t think so. Everyone wants to concentrate on arm strength , and that is certainly important, but seeing the field is also. You can’t throw to what you don’t see.
Blough was far and away the better QB, the coverage on Moore’s 2nd TD wasn’t bad, but it was a perfectly thrown ball. Yes we did get to Blough 5 times, but only because coverage downfield was good and Blough had to hold the ball. I’m not claiming their line was great , but they were 6-6, far from a NYD bowl team being predicted above by some here. What I’m saying is, for them to progress to that type of team, they better start recruiting better lineman .
I do agree CTA needs to be HC, we need a DC , a new ST coach and likely a new OC.

Only 3 members of the 24 member Purdue 2018 recruiting class played this year. The rest were redshirted including four OL recruits who have spent their first semester adjusting to college, practicing, getting stronger and will no doubt benefit from the fifteen extra practice days. The last two Purdue teams consisted primarily of players from recruiting classes ranked last in the Big Ten and 70th in the nation interspersed with some JC’s and graduate transfers.
One of those 4 OL recruits has already quit football, so to depend on guys that have never played a second of college football is fools gold.

I’m wondering if you were at the Bucket game ? If so you would have seen multiple receivers wide open on multiple occasions that Ramsey never even attempted to get the ball to, a couple that would have been easy long touchdowns. In my view, Ramsey doesn’t see the field well, he didn’t see open receivers all year, is that coaching ? Maybe, but I don’t think so. Everyone wants to concentrate on arm strength , and that is certainly important, but seeing the field is also. You can’t throw to what you don’t see.
Blough was far and away the better QB, the coverage on Moore’s 2nd TD wasn’t bad, but it was a perfectly thrown ball. Yes we did get to Blough 5 times, but only because coverage downfield was good and Blough had to hold the ball. I’m not claiming their line was great , but they were 6-6, far from a NYD bowl team being predicted above by some here. What I’m saying is, for them to progress to that type of team, they better start recruiting better lineman .
I do agree CTA needs to be HC, we need a DC , a new ST coach and likely a new OC.
Purdue's OL was awful. Made our pass rush look great - and we didn't have a great pass rush all year.

The main difference in this game was Rondale Moore. We had no answer for him and he tore us up, as he does most teams.

Blough is a better QB than Ramsey as far as seeing the field, but their OC also calls plays that they know maximizes his abilities. I'm not sure our staff does that.

Reactions: lUCX9
Purdue's OL was awful. Made our pass rush look great - and we didn't have a great pass rush all year.

The main difference in this game was Rondale Moore. We had no answer for him and he tore us up, as he does most teams.

Blough is a better QB than Ramsey as far as seeing the field, but their OC also calls plays that they know maximizes his abilities. I'm not sure our staff does that.
Again, most of those sacks were coverage sacks, not due to a “jailbreak”. Like I said , they better upgrade their OL or these predictions of “NYD grandeur” are a fantasy. The problem with your last statement is this, our OC DOES call plays that maximize Ramsey’s abilities. He lacks arm strength and doesn’t see the field well, what should they call ? People complain we throw short too much, well, that is what Ramsey does best ! When Penix came in against PSU , his first play he threw it 70 yards downfield. Better players make coaches look good, I’m certain Penix and Whop make this offense look better.

All I'm saying is Allen NEEDS to get more out of his guys because the other guy IS ALREADY getting more out of his own guys.

I'm not concerned about NYD bowls. I'm concerned about beating Purdue and fighting the narrative that Brohm has already surpassed our team in talent and recruiting Which is a false and misleading narrative propagated by delusional people. We were the better and more talented TEAM this year, last year, and 4 years prior. We. Are. Better.

We just aren't COACHED to PERFORM better.

Purdues QB2 beat us last year already, even without Moore. With a torn ACL. Talk about an immobile statue behind the B1Gs worst OL. If what you're saying is true, get ready to watch Purdue drop bombs to Moore over our secondary to win the bucket for a third year in a row.

Reactions: td75 and DANC
Only 3 members of the 24 member Purdue 2018 recruiting class played this year. The rest were redshirted including four OL recruits who have spent their first semester adjusting to college, practicing, getting stronger and will no doubt benefit from the fifteen extra practice days. The last two Purdue teams consisted primarily of players from recruiting classes ranked last in the Big Ten and 70th in the nation interspersed with some JC’s and graduate transfers.

A RS frosh is just a Sophomore with no playing experience. RS’ing does not make a player better, it just gives them more time to develop the benefits of which won’t really show up until their 5th year. And that class that is RSing was only ranked 49th, and only 10 of the 24 commits had offers from another P5 school. Suffice to say, next years Purdue team is still going to look very much the same from a recruited talent perspective and may not be able to replace some the production that is graduating on offense

Reactions: 76-1 and JohnsyRick
All I'm saying is Allen NEEDS to get more out of his guys because the other guy IS ALREADY getting more out of his own guys.

I'm not concerned about NYD bowls. I'm concerned about beating Purdue and fighting the narrative that Brohm has already surpassed our team in talent and recruiting Which is a false and misleading narrative propagated by delusional people. We were the better and more talented TEAM this year, last year, and 4 years prior. We. Are. Better.

We just aren't COACHED to PERFORM better.

Purdues QB2 beat us last year already, even without Moore. With a torn ACL. Talk about an immobile statue behind the B1Gs worst OL. If what you're saying is true, get ready to watch Purdue drop bombs to Moore over our secondary to win the bucket for a third year in a row.
If what I’m saying is true we will have Penix and Philyor (assuming they aren’t injured again) and that changes things for our side. What I said isn’t hard to comprehend, their QB and Moore were better than what we had ,and they made plays to win the game. That said, we do need better coaching from a disciplinary standpoint for sure, dumb penalties killed us. It was disturbing to see a player use the throat slash killing a chance for us to pin them deep, and he is back on the field a series later.

Reactions: lUCX9 and 76-1
Again, most of those sacks were coverage sacks, not due to a “jailbreak”. Like I said , they better upgrade their OL or these predictions of “NYD grandeur” are a fantasy. The problem with your last statement is this, our OC DOES call plays that maximize Ramsey’s abilities. He lacks arm strength and doesn’t see the field well, what should they call ? People complain we throw short too much, well, that is what Ramsey does best ! When Penix came in against PSU , his first play he threw it 70 yards downfield. Better players make coaches look good, I’m certain Penix and Whop make this offense look better.
I have to disagree that our OC plays to Ramsey's strengths. Ramsey is a very good runner, yet the number of plays called for a QB run or delay were rarely called. His big runs were mostly scrambles. Playing to his strengths would have involved more designed runs and not our very ineffective RPO game.

This BS of arm strength..... I'm sure you watched the last half of the season which disproves that. His problem isn't 'arm strength' - it's his lack of anticipation and staring down his receivers. When he drops back and throws to a spot, he's pretty effective at long range. He is not good at going from option 1 to option 2 to option 3. He needs to know where the ball is going from the snap to be effective.

Whop played a lot of the year and our offense wasn't any more effective against good competition with him in there as without.

Throwing short for 4 or 5 yards when it's 1st or 2nd down. Or 3rd and very short. But when it's 3rd and long and you throw for 3 yards, you might was well not throw at all. Our receivers do not have the ability to break tackles or juke a DB in open space. They're good at straight-ahead running, but that's it. I like our big receivers, but we need more of them with more shake-and-bake moves for YAC.

Reactions: channi
I have to disagree that our OC plays to Ramsey's strengths. Ramsey is a very good runner, yet the number of plays called for a QB run or delay were rarely called. His big runs were mostly scrambles. Playing to his strengths would have involved more designed runs and not our very ineffective RPO game.

This BS of arm strength..... I'm sure you watched the last half of the season which disproves that. His problem isn't 'arm strength' - it's his lack of anticipation and staring down his receivers. When he drops back and throws to a spot, he's pretty effective at long range. He is not good at going from option 1 to option 2 to option 3. He needs to know where the ball is going from the snap to be effective.

Whop played a lot of the year and our offense wasn't any more effective against good competition with him in there as without.

Throwing short for 4 or 5 yards when it's 1st or 2nd down. Or 3rd and very short. But when it's 3rd and long and you throw for 3 yards, you might was well not throw at all. Our receivers do not have the ability to break tackles or juke a DB in open space. They're good at straight-ahead running, but that's it. I like our big receivers, but we need more of them with more shake-and-bake moves for YAC.
We can agree to disagree on how good of a runner Ramsey is, I would say adequate, but not even close to the type of runner I would want to call many QB specific runs for.
Again , agree to disagree on arm strength being BS. He is capable of getting the ball to an open receiver, but firing it into a tight window , not so much, as the ball takes too long to get there. The lack of “zip” on the ball also doesn’t leave receivers with time and room after the catch to get YAC. Furthermore, we agree that he doesn’t see the field well, but some of that may also be a lack of confidence in his arm strength causing him to hesitate to make certain throws .
Whop wasn’t healthy after part way through the MSU game and he is all we had against them, he was very effective, 13 catches, 148 yds, 1 TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazz81
Here's a little dose of reality for pu:
the guy coaching the West division champion in Indianapolis this weekend is making 3.5 million and NW has him locked in for 10 years...

Intelligence & Competence (in contract negotiations) [Northwestern] versus Stupidity & Incompetence [pu]...

Pretty obvious stark contrast there...

How much you wanna bet Northwestern doesn't kick pu's butt the next 4 out of 5?

The rest of the nation is laughing at pu...
The rest of the nation really doesn't care about Brohm or Purdue football.

We can agree to disagree on how good of a runner Ramsey is, I would say adequate, but not even close to the type of runner I would want to call many QB specific runs for.
Again , agree to disagree on arm strength being BS. He is capable of getting the ball to an open receiver, but firing it into a tight window , not so much, as the ball takes too long to get there. The lack of “zip” on the ball also doesn’t leave receivers with time and room after the catch to get YAC. Furthermore, we agree that he doesn’t see the field well, but some of that may also be a lack of confidence in his arm strength causing him to hesitate to make certain throws .
Whop wasn’t healthy after part way through the MSU game and he is all we had against them, he was very effective, 13 catches, 148 yds, 1 TD.

Ramsey just doesn't hold up well as the season progresses. He started started the season strong and became less and less effective until the bye. He looked really good in the Maryland game but by the bucket game he was back to struggling.

Everyone that thinks they know something about quarterback play sat that guys stare down their receiver. If that is the case with Ramsey then why is he play in front of guy that everyone ackn has a stronger arm and runs the ball better? Also how does he have as a high a completion percentage and not outrageously high interceptions or passes broken up. I guess those of you sitting in stands see it better than coaches in press box on sidelines or the players on the field. Also how much do you want your quarterback running without a true backup. Yes maybe Taylor might be spectacular but had limited time at quarterback position. Also iMO o don’t think Ramsey reads the option very well. He is much more effective as a scrambler when he pulls the ball down and runs with it.

So Purdue has kicked our ass the last years. The $6million man has won 31-24 and 28-21 that is considered an ass kicking? Yes it sucks losing those a$$holes in anything but come on.

Everyone that thinks they know something about quarterback play sat that guys stare down their receiver. If that is the case with Ramsey then why is he play in front of guy that everyone ackn has a stronger arm and runs the ball better? Also how does he have as a high a completion percentage and not outrageously high interceptions or passes broken up. I guess those of you sitting in stands see it better than coaches in press box on sidelines or the players on the field. Also how much do you want your quarterback running without a true backup. Yes maybe Taylor might be spectacular but had limited time at quarterback position. Also iMO o don’t think Ramsey reads the option very well. He is much more effective as a scrambler when he pulls the ball down and runs with it.

The completion percentage and low interceptions are helped tremendously by the 1 and 2 yard passes on third and long. Ramsey really likes to make the safe, easy, and conservative pass. The kind that stall drives and lead to a change of possession.

I don't know if it's by design as part of the offense or if it's just Ramsey being Ramsey, but it's definitely a thing.

I don't need to be a coach on the sidelines or a fan in the stands to notice that.

ADVERTISEMENT