ADVERTISEMENT

ESPNU Brutalizing Brohm and Purdue

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Unlike the Hickory Barbershop Sycophant Society, national media is not yet crowning Brohm or Purdue.

ESPNU radio on XM/Siruis were congratulatory to Brohm for getting the money, but brutal on him "using Tennessee to get more money" last year, and "now using Louisville to get more money" this year, and on Purdue for paying a guy "$1,000,000 per win"

Neuheisel was flabbergasted that a school would pay this much to a guy who won 6 games

His cohort basically said Brohm should "put away the fiddle - shut up and build your program"

Purdue has a lot on the line with the hire now.

If Delaney gets his way and Wisconsin and Nebraska get back to national relevance like he originally planned, and the West stops being a national laughing-stock, Purdue may regret the re-hire.

Lots to like about Brohm, but he still is a novice HC, and he played Purdue for more money 2 years in a row. If he falters, they'll turn on him like a cobra.

The pie is in the oven.

Be fun to watch.

PS - UofL's AD threw shade at both Brohm and Petrino, saying he needed a coach who was as excited to wake up and work at Louisville as he was. Ouch.

Unlike the Hickory Barbershop Sycophant Society, national media is not yet crowning Brohm or Purdue.

ESPNU radio on XM/Siruis were congratulatory to Brohm for getting the money, but brutal on him "using Tennessee to get more money" last year, and "now using Louisville to get more money" this year, and on Purdue for paying a guy "$1,000,000 per win"

Neuheisel was flabbergasted that a school would pay this much to a guy who won 6 games

His cohort basically said Brohm should "put away the fiddle - shut up and build your program"

Purdue has a lot on the line with the hire now.

If Delaney gets his way and Wisconsin and Nebraska get back to national relevance like he originally planned, and the West stops being a national laughing-stock, Purdue may regret the re-hire.

Lots to like about Brohm, but he still is a novice HC, and he played Purdue for more money 2 years in a row. If he falters, they'll turn on him like a cobra.

The pie is in the oven.

Be fun to watch.

PS - UofL's AD threw shade at both Brohm and Petrino, saying he needed a coach who was as excited to wake up and work at Louisville as he was. Ouch.

I think he's really, really good, and we are really, really screwed, as least in the short-run.

I'm hoping he'll be ready to move on in 2-3 years. He's more marketable than Tiller was to the big boys and the NFL.

I don't buy the loyalty bs or the spill about driving the '04 Volvo......the guy's successfully held Purdue up 2 straight years. He's shrewd enough to be quiet about it. He's in a good spot in the BT West. I think he would have left if Purdue was in the East. Just my opinion.

I think he's really, really good, and we are really, really screwed, as least in the short-run.

I'm hoping he'll be ready to move on in 2-3 years. He's more marketable than Tiller was to the big boys and the NFL.

I don't buy the loyalty bs or the spill about driving the '04 Volvo......the guy's successfully held Purdue up 2 straight years. He's shrewd enough to be quiet about it. He's in a good spot in the BT West. I think he would have left if Purdue was in the East. Just my opinion.
Completely disagree...Last year Brohm was not the reason it was Holt by a mile who made the difference. This year I'll give Brohm some credit.

BUT as I stated earlier we should have already had 7 wins going into the bucket game. We gave away the psu and minnesota games IMO. Next year the fanbase who continues to watch the youth grow won't be as patient.

What sickens me is the shooting ourselves in the foot sh!t. That had to stop.

Completely disagree...Last year Brohm was not the reason it was Holt by a mile who made the difference. This year I'll give Brohm some credit.

BUT as I stated earlier we should have already had 7 wins going into the bucket game. We gave away the psu and minnesota games IMO. Next year the fanbase who continues to watch the youth grow won't be as patient.

Who brought Holt to Purdue?

Brohm is responsible for leading the resurrection of the Purdue football program. He has earned the respect and the dollars.

If Brohm does turn out to be a bust, which is inconceivable given his success already, I will be proud of Purdue and Bobinski for shooting our shot. Out of available coaching candidates right now, Brohm is hands down the best. Purdue should pay more because Brohm is worth more to Purdue than anyone else.

There's room for debate as to whether Purdue overreacted in paying up for Brohm. There's also room to debate whether he's justified his compensation based on his short tenure at Purdue.

But he's not a novice head coach. That's not valid. And the Big Ten West isn't a "national laughing-stock". It may not be the Big Ten East (yet), but it's definitely on the upswing. Someone in these parts once referred to it as the "sissy division which, when you're 0-3 against it, isn't advisable. Lastly, Purdue has established itself as relevant in college football again. They're the topic of conversation because a hot coach spurned his alma mater and sent the message that it is a place to be, rather than a stepping stone. Recruits are paying attention, too, and it will be a theme during bowl season.

Wouldn't it be great to have that kind of positive publicity?
It will never EVER be on par with the East. There is not a program in the west with OSU, michi, or PSU cred AND that would take a hundred years to create. Maybe nebraska but that will never happen again in the Big 10.

Maybe not novice but middle of the road??? Against who Fitz (a 12 year Big 10 veteran) and Ferentz (a 20 year vet). Even Chryst is a 7 year P5 vet.

Right now the only pub Brohm is getting is pretty negative. He is a 6 win a year coach getting WAY overpaid! Not a good look for purdue right now. He better get busy!

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13

Brohm is responsible for leading the resurrection of the Purdue football program. He has earned the respect and the dollars.

If Brohm does turn out to be a bust, which is inconceivable given his success already, I will be proud of Purdue and Bobinski for shooting our shot. Out of available coaching candidates right now, Brohm is hands down the best. Purdue should pay more because Brohm is worth more to Purdue than anyone else.
Appreciate your opinion but disagree.

Reactions: aforeffort
Hot Dam! So Brohm was one of the twenty coaches who got involved in the 25 day Tennessee coaching search. At first glance I though it was Xaviera Hollander’s customer list
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...imeline-butch-jones-john-currie-jeremy-pruitt

I do recall that Tennessee looked pretty foolish at the time.

If Brohm was only one of 150, and that created the perception the ESPNU guys were selling, (i.e. Brohn used Tennessee to get paid more by Purdue) its still a perception

Maybe no more or less accurate or more or less damaging than any other perception.

But some folks will believe anything.

According to our friend Wiki.......Holt was DC for Petrino at WKU. When Petrino left for UK, Holt turned down UL to stay with Brohm for 3 more years at WKU. That would seem to say things about Petrino, Brohm, and Holt.

Willie Taggart (now at FSU) was 16-30 in 3 years at WKU. When he left Bobby P. was 8-4, and left after 1 year for UofL.Brohm stepped in and was 8-5 his first year and 22-5 his last two.

It seems to me he's a very good coach, and his looking at UL & Tennessee has only improved his national profile.

I agree with what you say in your last 2 paragraphs. That's why I feel we're probably screwed going forward. We have the talent to be competitive with them, at least for the next year or two, but we have to get our shit together as a program, coaching-wise. It's not looking good on that front right now.

Do you understand how recruiting works? Most if not all of the sophomores were recruited by the past coach. Moore was a starter and was recruited by Brohm after he got to Purdue. The rest of the freshman, the very little they played, didn't start and were not contributors this year, hence Brohm is basically playing with Hazel's kids.

Basically?

The Kevin Wilson win over Jeff Brohm in 2015 looks better and better. Brohm had a very nice team that year at Western Ky.

FYI. With regard to recruiting, Jeff Brohm recruited a nice class last year, but red shirted most of them. Only 3 played this year out of 25, so the impact of his recruiting has not reached the field yet, except for R. Moore who just could not be kept in waiting. Next year's Purdue Team will look very different.

Seriously, it's like 4 posts up.

Because IU fans start threads about Purdue, make a bunch of stuff up, and we are hear to help out.
WELL OMG...then all is revealed!! So gooood that you guys NEVER EVER do the same thing....when did kindergarten let out? Aren't your mommies here to pick you up yet??? GO HOME....

I disagree that the west is a laughing stock. It's sending 5 teams to bowls and Nebraska sure wasn't playing like a 4 win team at the end of the year.

But I think the entire conference needs more respect than it gets nationally. The east had its 4 powers get bowls as expected and Maryland and Indiana were only a game away from bowling as well.

That's 12 out of 14 teams in the conference that were relevant at the end of the season. ESPN and other sports media like to act like the big ten is just OSU, Michigan, penn st, and sometimes Wisconsin or MSU. It's a better conference than the ACC, big 12, and PAC 12 but hearing what is said on tv for so long you start to believe it's a mediocre conference. Laughing stock of P5 divisions IMO is the ACC coastal.

You forgot our 7-1 bowl record last year (way to go Harbaugh). The conference is tough. It's only getting better. Bright days ahead for all of us.

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
Brohm is worth double what he’s making. Sure worth a lot more than Harbaugh who I believe makes $9 million or so.

Purdue did it. They’re committed to winning. They deserve all the credit.

A rational post. It is sad that us IU fans only hope is to hope that Purdue gets worse. That's our salvation? Allen has improved our team albeit at a slow rate. His recruiting has improved every year but overnight Brohm has changed theirs. Sooo, the question is will Allen be able to continue steady improvement and have us consistently winning 7 games? Is that our goal? If not then round up the $ and go Big.

A rational post. It is sad that us IU fans only hope is to hope that Purdue gets worse. That's our salvation? Allen has improved our team albeit at a slow rate. His recruiting has improved every year but overnight Brohm has changed theirs. Sooo, the question is will Allen be able to continue steady improvement and have us consistently winning 7 games? Is that our goal? If not then round up the $ and go Big.

He has us consistently winning 5 games, amIright?

And I don't believe that IU Fans only hope is that Purdue gets worse. Most Indiana fans I know hope more that Indiana gets better. The talk here has more to do with curiosity about Purdue paying a guy who's gone 9-9 in conference the past two years upwards of $6mil dollars. They also hope that if Brohm at Purdue leads to unbridled success, that maybe the IU administration will finally get its collective head out of its a$$ and get serious about football.

Reactions: bang63
That's the video that literally every fan base has used if their coach has decided to stay since that movie released 5 or 6 years ago.

And what is particularly funny is that its basically saying "Let's ride our massive denial until we crash and burn in blaze of glory in the very near future"

Reactions: 76-1
If the West is a national laughing stock.......weren’t we 0-3 against them this year? And not sure what you mean by getting Wisconsin back to national relevance? Have you not watched any football the past 10 years?

The East has 3 teams (OSU, PSU and Michigan) that are in the national debate in some form every year.

The West has been common, except for Wisconsin, and Wisconsin has faded lately.

IU losing to West teams does not make the West a juggernaut.

And yes, I watch a little football.
Live and otherwise.

Seriously, it's like 4 posts up.

Because IU fans start threads about Purdue, make a bunch of stuff up, and we are hear to help out.
You guys could make anything up about IU on your board and I would never know it because I have never been or will I have go to your board. I just find it sad for you that you have nothing better to do and troll another teams message board.

Reactions: punaj and 76-1
I disagree that the west is a laughing stock. It's sending 5 teams to bowls and Nebraska sure wasn't playing like a 4 win team at the end of the year.

But I think the entire conference needs more respect than it gets nationally. The east had its 4 powers get bowls as expected and Maryland and Indiana were only a game away from bowling as well.

That's 12 out of 14 teams in the conference that were relevant at the end of the season. ESPN and other sports media like to act like the big ten is just OSU, Michigan, penn st, and sometimes Wisconsin or MSU. It's a better conference than the ACC, big 12, and PAC 12 but hearing what is said on tv for so long you start to believe it's a mediocre conference. Laughing stock of P5 divisions IMO is the ACC coastal.
not a laughing stock but a weak division. division champ 8-4 overall. no january bowls. meh

Brohm is worth double what he’s making. Sure worth a lot more than Harbaugh who I believe makes $9 million or so.

Purdue did it. They’re committed to winning. They deserve all the credit.
We should thank Purdue for this. Maybe it will serve as a wakeup call to IU to start paying competitive salaries like PU has done.

Big Maybe. But it might happen. Or at least raise the ante to us.

He also lied to his players. Classy guy.

We should thank Purdue for this. Maybe it will serve as a wakeup call to IU to start paying competitive salaries like PU has done.

Big Maybe. But it might happen. Or at least raise the ante to us.

I think this is spot on.

I think this is spot on.
Competitive? Glass and Co. are probably up in some office drinking scotch and LMAO! Kinda like everyone else in the country going this guy has two 6 win seasons and they are paying him 6 mil a year?

I expect a new triple IPA to come out soon with an abv of 18 "Underwhelmed and Overpaid"

Here's a little dose of reality for pu:
the guy coaching the West division champion in Indianapolis this weekend is making 3.5 million and NW has him locked in for 10 years...

Intelligence & Competence (in contract negotiations) [Northwestern] versus Stupidity & Incompetence [pu]...

Pretty obvious stark contrast there...

How much you wanna bet Northwestern doesn't kick pu's butt the next 4 out of 5?

The rest of the nation is laughing at pu...

the guy coaching the West division champion in Indianapolis this weekend is making 3.5 million and NW has him locked in for 10 years...

Intelligence & Competence (in contract negotiations) [Northwestern] versus Stupidity & Incompetence [pu]...

Do you have a link for Fitzgerald's contract? I'd like to see this for myself. Thanks in advance.

The rest of the nation and the pundits on espn for that matter don't watch every game, don't know the roster, don't know who has been injured, ect. The fans and the ad know what was done and with what and what they are likely to have in the future and what could be accomplished with that. If Brohm left and you had to start over, what would it cost to get another coach that is established and could recruit on the same level? Those that are laughing now probably aren't going to laughing later. Not saying you cant get lucky and do things in cheaper fashion but so far the results are more in favor of the former.

ADVERTISEMENT