ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN reporting that AZ regents meet tomorrow . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . regarding Sean Miller. I could see them making a decision to pay the guy to go away . . . the most adverse effect from the reports of Miller's alleged offer to pay Ayton is the hit on ZONA's brand, and they have to cut that loss early.

Mark me down in the "he gone" column.

. . . regarding Sean Miller. I could see them making a decision to pay the guy to go away . . . the most adverse effect from the reports of Miller's alleged offer to pay Ayton is the hit on ZONA's brand, and they have to cut that loss early.

"It's Arizona... It's Arizona."

It's now believed by some that Ayton wasn't the player offered to be paid, but instead Bowen again. Ayton's recruitment took place in 2016, the "tape" is reputedly from 2017. ESPN may have cut some corners.

Reactions: largemouth
It's now believed by some that Ayton wasn't the player offered to be paid, but instead Bowen again. Ayton's recruitment took place in 2016, the "tape" is reputedly from 2017. ESPN may have cut some corners.

Also, in addition to the (believable) possibility that ESPN may have missed the mark, it raises the other possibility of "dirty once, dirty twice."

Reactions: IUgradman
Yeah, 100K seemed too cheap for Ayton. They probably gave him $250,000 or so.

I wonder how much Hammons cost you guys? More than Williams cost us?

I also wonder how much the 28 first rounders Cal funneled through UK cost?

all coaches "be gone"! It's just a matter of time and under what conditions.

all coaches "be gone"! It's just a matter of time and under what conditions.
I doubt "all" ... but I don't doubt that the ones who normally and consistently sign pro prospects are dirty. Even if only a 1/4 of players at that level are pay for play, that's probably still 30 to 40 schools and coaches who have the odds against them.

They stated it's "systematic" which I assumed meant wide spread and common practice. And remember the quote "anyone who had an nba pick in the last three years should worry". or something close.

So basically the top level players are being bought and sold by agents, runners, and coaches?

Plus, so far, it's only one agency, and, only one shoe company. If it stays that way most will slide. It would be a shame if only Adidas was implicated and Nike schools not.

What would be really sad is if UK comes through unscathed. I mean, is it even mathematically possible they funneled almost thirty pro players through their program in Cal's time and didn't pay one?

Last edited:

You did say “ESPN is reporting”, right? Are we sure it’s really gonna happen? o_O

Reactions: Rakkasan29
I doubt "all" ... but I don't doubt that the ones who normally and consistently sign pro prospects are dirty. Even if only a 1/4 of players at that level are pay for play, that's probably still 30 to 40 schools and coaches who have the odds against them.

They stated it's "systematic" which I assumed meant wide spread and common practice. And remember the quote "anyone who had an nba pick in the last three years should worry". or something close.

So basically the top level players are being bought and sold by agents, runners, and coaches?

Plus, so far, it's only one agency, and, only one shoe company. If it stays that way most will slide. It would be a shame if only Adidas was implicated and Nike schools not.

What would be really sad is if UK comes through unscathed. I mean, is it even mathematically possible they funneled almost thirty pro players through their program in Cal's time and didn't pay one?
Maybe I didn't communicate that very well. I was not saying ALL coaches are involved in this scandal. I was not saying most coaches are involved in this scandal. I was not saying some coaches are involved in this scandal.

What I was trying to say that eventually ALL coaches leave for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they chose when they want to leave and under what circumstances. Other times they are not given a choice. But eventually all coaches leave unless they die while in the job. And then they still leave.

Is there anything more than the single hearsay ESPN report? IIUC, ESPN doesn't even claim to have heard the tape, just that "someone" has told them it exists and the $100,000 conversation was recorded. Legalistically, it seems to me they'd want a little more than that to back them up if they're going to bring the hammer down on Miller.

Is there anything more than the single hearsay ESPN report? IIUC, ESPN doesn't even claim to have heard the tape, just that "someone" has told them it exists and the $100,000 conversation was recorded. Legalistically, it seems to me they'd want a little more than that to back them up if they're going to bring the hammer down on Miller.

If they terminate then they must have gotten more. Either more direct evidence or an admission from Miller. No way they can terminate based upon what the rest of us know at this time.

Most people still believe you are innocent until proven guilty but that may be changing. Now people base their beliefs on what they see on social media and none more so than those in charge of college/university administrations.

In the world of big time college sports the presidents, ADs, and boards all play the CYA game. Fire the coach, toss the kid(s), pay the fines, and move on as quickly as possible. Work on the facts later and do whatever it takes to mitigate the hit to the school, while preserving your own job if possible. It's dangerous. It's ugly. It's the way things work today.

Reactions: BigMobe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT