ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN pre season FPI rankings. IU 26th

I’ll take it to start the season. But Nebraska at 22? Based on what?
the polls are an absolute joke in my mind. Same schools at the top to start with. Nebraska is based on some hope and a prayer. They have no reason to be that highly ranked. IU is probably about right. You could argue them into the top 25 if you are using the same arguments as Nebraska though.

I think it is good that IU is garnering some press heading into the 2020 especially if the reports about the teams attitude are true. It is time to take the 2019 season and build on it without taking a step back. Wisconsin will be a good opening test for IU to show fans what to expect in 2020.

Their recruiting class was really good and the West is conducive for teams breaking out - like Minnesota.
This is the truth and it bothers me as an Indiana football fan. Does the East division allow the same? Not really, it's unfortunate.

This topic should be touched on more often. The people who loathe Delany's alignments, had this exact scenario in mind. There was a shocking amount of stupidity and lack of common sense when this East/West alignment came into existence.

This is the truth and it bothers me as an Indiana football fan. Does the East division allow the same? Not really, it's unfortunate.

This topic should be touched on more often. The people who loathe Delany's alignments, had this exact scenario in mind. There was a shocking amount of stupidity and lack of common sense when this East/West alignment came into existence.

Whichever division OSU is in would be the division that is going to lack any "breakout" potential because they will win their division more times than not unless they make a terrible hire.

And the divisions are East and West. The 7 eastern most teams in one division and the 7 western most teams in the other. Makes significantly more sense than Legends and Leaders with arbitrary matchups and division breakups.

Reactions: ESalum86
Whichever division OSU is in would be the division that is going to lack any "breakout" potential because they will win their division more times than not unless they make a terrible hire.

And the divisions are East and West. The 7 eastern most teams in one division and the 7 western most teams in the other. Makes significantly more sense than Legends and Leaders with arbitrary matchups and division breakups.
The two divisions aren't equal as no team in the West measures up to OSU and PSU on an yearly basis. Nebraska historically and Wisconsin are Michigan and MSU level even though Michigan historically beats both Wisconsin and Nebraska. Maryland historically matches up with Iowa, NW at least in the 2000's, and Minnesota even though Maryland hasn't hit that stride in the B1G yet. You have to play who is on your schedule but it is clear the East is far better right now even though that can change in the future.

Reactions: red hornet
The two divisions aren't equal as no team in the West measures up to OSU and PSU on an yearly basis. Nebraska historically and Wisconsin are Michigan and MSU level even though Michigan historically beats both Wisconsin and Nebraska. Maryland historically matches up with Iowa, NW at least in the 2000's, and Minnesota even though Maryland hasn't hit that stride in the B1G yet. You have to play who is on your schedule but it is clear the East is far better right now even though that can change in the future.

OSU is the difference, flip OSU and the west is stronger.

OSU is the difference, flip OSU and the west is stronger.
No real argument here. Flip OSU for Wiscy (for example) and the West would certainly be more difficult in the sense of that's where the juggernaut is.

We always say that the West is "easy," but it's really just a lot of parity, I think. There's not a lot of daylight between top & bottom overall, except Illinois for most of the recent past. So teams like Iowa, PU, Wiscy, Minny, & usually NW have good shot at taking each other down in a given season. The East has bigger drop offs between OSU and the UM, PSU tier, and then the MSU, IU, maybe Maryland tier, and then Rutgers in a league of its own.

ADVERTISEMENT