ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN - Alabama QB Bryce Young Approaching $1M in Endorsement Deals

For me, I will probably quit watching IU and NCAA after this takes hold. I will watch and give it a try, but we usually support people we can relate to. Times are changing, and that is fine. Sports have just lost most of their appeal to me at all levels. I may be alone in this, but there are other things in life which have value. Sucks, because IU basketball was a big part of my life once. I’m sure many of you will disagree with me and that’s fine. We all have different interests. This all started when Indiana gave up single class basketball and the rise of AAU. It used to be about representing your town as well as yourself. Then players went for the coach. Now players are fully in it for themselves. Sorry for any generalizations there. I just feel after this, my time will be invested in other activities. Hope I am wrong.

I think your view will be shared by a good share of people over about 60ish TBH. I notice 55ish and under have a different approach to change in life in general. May I ask how old you are?

Put my theory to shit didn't you.
It’s ok. I’m an old soul. In all honesty Cav, I was heavily involved with sports for a while. But I saw so many people giving up all their time so their kids could play or participate in a sport. There seems to be no moderation anymore. They just keep pushing for more. One of my best friends has teenage daughters in cheerleading. They go all over the country about year round. And yet, he hasn’t visited his mother, and the kids haven’t seen their grandmother, in about 2 years. They live 2 hours apart. When I bring this up, the excuses start flying. With my mother becoming ill, it just made me realize I don’t want my children growing up like that. They are still very young. So instead of organized sports, we go fishing, do cookouts, and whatever we can with the grandparents every weekend. I gave up coaching basketball for this too and it was a wonderful decision. I still play sports with my boys, but it’s in the driveway or at the park. Trying to live a balanced life. Hard to do with the world speeding up all around me.

It’s ok. I’m an old soul. In all honesty Cav, I was heavily involved with sports for a while. But I saw so many people giving up all their time so their kids could play or participate in a sport. There seems to be no moderation anymore. They just keep pushing for more. One of my best friends has teenage daughters in cheerleading. They go all over the country about year round. And yet, he hasn’t visited his mother, and the kids haven’t seen their grandmother, in about 2 years. They live 2 hours apart. When I bring this up, the excuses start flying. With my mother becoming ill, it just made me realize I don’t want my children growing up like that. They are still very young. So instead of organized sports, we go fishing, do cookouts, and whatever we can with the grandparents every weekend. I gave up coaching basketball for this too and it was a wonderful decision. I still play sports with my boys, but it’s in the driveway or at the park. Trying to live a balanced life. Hard to do with the world speeding up all around me.

Every man has to have his priorities. If you watch some of my interviews, I have three in life. God, business, and IU basketball. In that order. I don't have a wife or kids, so this is my biggest hobby that I'm going to parlay into marketing. I am excited and grateful for the opportunity. Will be a ball for me.

Reactions: elijawon
For me, I will probably quit watching IU and NCAA after this takes hold. I will watch and give it a try, but we usually support people we can relate to. Times are changing, and that is fine. Sports have just lost most of their appeal to me at all levels. I may be alone in this, but there are other things in life which have value. Sucks, because IU basketball was a big part of my life once. I’m sure many of you will disagree with me and that’s fine. We all have different interests. This all started when Indiana gave up single class basketball and the rise of AAU. It used to be about representing your town as well as yourself. Then players went for the coach. Now players are fully in it for themselves. Sorry for any generalizations there. I just feel after this, my time will be invested in other activities. Hope I am wrong.
I was watching Talledega Nights a couple of days ago. Remember when Ricky Bobby started to make it? He had all kinds of sponsors and turned into a real jerk. I don't want college athletics turning these kids into jerks.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Sorry man, that time was 22 days ago. You can not stop the train that is coming. I have a had a ton of conversations this month. Wild Wild West for sure right now. In 2 years it will be completely different. Much more organized. Right now it is how do we not screw up getting recruits right now. They are going a million miles an hour on this, and I will be advising IU to triple their resources on NIL. Next two years (if we are also good on the court) could really give IU a leg up if they go at this right.
You're developing quite the penchant for stating the obvious/missing the point. Not resisting or denying the end/beginning of an era, simply stating that however it may benefit those involved, integrating commercial marketing into the collegiate equation does nothing positive for the Games 'themselves'. At best it's clutter, and at worst, we're about to find out.

Forget about the concept of TEAM sports and say goodbye to a level playing field - going forward/starting immediately, Team benches aren't even level.

You're developing quite the penchant for stating the obvious/missing the point. Not resisting or denying the end/beginning of an era, simply stating that however it may benefit those involved, integrating commercial marketing into the collegiate equation does nothing positive for the Games 'themselves'. At best it's clutter, and at worst, we're about to find out.

Forget about the concept of TEAM sports and say goodbye to a level playing field - going forward/starting immediately, Team benches aren't even level.
Might be obvious to you, many are missing the boat.

I was watching Talledega Nights a couple of days ago. Remember when Ricky Bobby started to make it? He had all kinds of sponsors and turned into a real jerk. I don't want college athletics turning these kids into jerks.
That was a pretty funny movie.

ADVERTISEMENT