ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN - Alabama QB Bryce Young Approaching $1M in Endorsement Deals

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002

So much for amateur sports and any semblance of a level playing field/court - college athletics is fully entering the 'best teams money can buy' era.

If he has any class he'll return/give his scholarship to someone else - won't hold my breath.

High school players will be next.

Be interesting to see how long it takes for the players to petition for revenue-sharing with the NCAA and the Schools if they haven't already...

So much for amateur sports and any semblance of a level playing field/court - college athletics is fully entering the 'best teams money can buy' era.

If he has any class he'll return/give his scholarship to someone else - won't hold my breath.

Be interesting to see how long it takes for the players to petition for revenue-sharing with the NCAA and the Schools if they haven't already...
Just wait til Arch Manning signs there.

Reactions: ulrey

The last thing you mentioned is very interesting. I talked with IU compliance before I signed my deal with Anthony. They told me IU was about to announce something in the next 2-4 weeks that would make NIL fans very happy. My guess, is a share of the Adidas contract at minimum.

I know some people are really not liking this, but you have to forward think. The world isn't gonna wait on anyone. I, for one, am very very excited.

Edit, They are gonna do the same thing as UNC just did https://www.clintonherald.com/sport...cle_3ab2c70f-4782-5518-a7c1-81070c226d04.html

Last edited:
I know some people are really not liking this, but you have to forward think. The world isn't gonna wait on anyone. I, for one, am very very excited.
My whole post is "forward think" - not in any sort of denial, just don't care for where it's headed - an ever-deepening quagmire of BS that has nothing to do with the Game(s). Your giddiness/hard-on over pimping teenagers to gain business leverage is your own affair and of zero interest to me.

The condescending BS about expecting the 'world to wait' is no illusion of mine - I expect little more of this species but to increasingly value only that which can be commercialized. Hardly my sense of utopia, positive societal evoluton or a higher calling, but GLWT.

When I saw an IU freshman making money off of his haircut, the first thing I thought was "can a kid sue for lost wages if the coach tells him to cut his hair"?

The reason for amateurism is to prevent corruption, distraction, and all sorts of legal , financial and tax matters that will stifle any chance a kid has of staying out of serious trouble. Only a very short matter of time before we see things completely fall apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: wi_hoosier
Yep, what I said about
My whole post is "forward think" - not in any sort of denial, just don't care for where it's headed - an ever-deepening quagmire of BS that has nothing to do with the Game(s). Your giddiness/hard-on over pimping teenagers to gain business leverage is your own affair and of zero interest to me.

The condescending BS about expecting the 'world to wait' is no illusion of mine - I expect little more of this species but to increasingly value only that which can be commercialized. Hardly my sense of utopia, positive societal evoluton or a higher calling, but GLWT.

I am most excited about the athletes finally being able to make money. I want to contribute and help in any way I can. The fact I get an inside look is a dream come true. I did get a sports broadcasting degree and wanted to do this for a living.

Yep, what I said about

I am most excited about the athletes finally being able to make money. I want to contribute and help in any way I can. The fact I get an inside look is a dream come true. I did get a sports broadcasting degree and wanted to do this for a living.
Your multiple orgasms are making some of us uncomfortable

Cavanaugh.13, I am interested. Please keep the board informed as to where we can listen/watch these podcasts
For sure. It will be free via twitter. Haven't decided podcast, YouTube, or what not. Still a very fluid process. I am excited to see the athletes response to my offers. Will be a great way for me to give them an opportunity to talk about themselves IMO a more comfortable interview setting, with the Cavanagh twist. My interview, my rules. :)

The last thing you mentioned is very interesting. I talked with IU compliance before I signed my deal with Anthony. They told me IU was about to announce something in the next 2-4 weeks that would make NIL fans very happy. My guess, is a share of the Adidas contract at minimum.

Edit, They are gonna do the same thing as UNC just did https://www.clintonherald.com/sport...cle_3ab2c70f-4782-5518-a7c1-81070c226d04.html
Interesting what UNC did. That will allow use of school logo etc. Times they are achanging!

They'll all do it in an effort to keep pace. It's going to be a good old fashioned arms race.

IU seems to be willing to try to keep pace. Very nice to see. I was worried they might try to stand on the Ol moral high ground that I absolutely have hated from IU in the past.

Times achanging indeed!!

This is great news for Saban. Recruiting just got a lot easier when a top recruit knows if he goes to Bama he'll potentially make millions. The top colllege coaches will no longer need to put in the long hours if their program can generate these kinds of dollars for their players. On the other hand, there goes any possibility of IU football ever getting a 5 star recruit.

IU seems to be willing to try to keep pace. Very nice to see. I was worried they might try to stand on the Ol moral high ground that I absolutely have hated from IU in the past.

Times achanging indeed!!
We have been reading for the last several months that IU was leading the charge regarding NIL among the other schools. Now, IU is willing to keep pace? From what I am reading, the big boys are getting bigger and maybe separating the gap even more with NIL.

We have been reading for the last several months that IU was leading the charge regarding NIL among the other schools. Now, IU is willing to keep pace? From what I am reading, the big boys are getting bigger and maybe separating the gap even more with NIL.

I should be able to confirm soon, but from my talks with IU compliance I’ll be shocked if they don’t announce the same basic thing as UNC just did. Would have been cool for them to be first, but as long as we have every advantage as the other power houses, I’m happy.

I have no doubt that IU will benefit as measured by wins.

I was never a big fan of buying wins, but that’s what it’s come to. The NCAA will soon be out of the enforcement business altogether. Pay for play is here. Nothing is illegal as it is all one giant grey area.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
I have no doubt that IU will benefit as measured by wins.

I was never a big fan of buying wins, but that’s what it’s come to. The NCAA will soon be out of the enforcement business altogether. Pay for play is here. Nothing is illegal as it is all one giant grey area.
Exactly. Any sort of sponsorship agreement wherein a player agrees to 'represent' any sort of commercial interest (even if never called on to do so) will allow for any amount of money to be paid to said player. Even the simplest formal NIL agreement will be sufficient to permit the transfer of millions.

This is great news for Saban. Recruiting just got a lot easier when a top recruit knows if he goes to Bama he'll potentially make millions. The top colllege coaches will no longer need to put in the long hours if their program can generate these kinds of dollars for their players. On the other hand, there goes any possibility of IU football ever getting a 5 star recruit.
I had said that in a thread a week ago. The fans, boosters, etc now legally control recruiting.

My question would be should these players who can make money get a free education? How about they pay their own way and save the tax payer some money?

My question would be should these players who can make money get a free education? How about they pay their own way and save the tax payer some money?
Taxpayers? You really haven't a clue.

I regarded belief in god a trifle, but when I knew his acolytes to be delerious, I mourned that such existed. When I thought godliness illusion, I found it easy to ignore; but when I found believers to be hypocrites so steeped in denial, so ignorant and so overflowing with condescension, I abandoned hope that reason could ever prevail against such a tempest of stupidity.”

So the Butler, Gonzaga and Baylors of the world should reap the rewards? Outside of the Federal court decisions, it's a state by state thing. Haven't you been paying attention to the state level legislation that is currently governing NIL at public universities?

First it was no using school logos and other IP. Now that's fair game thanks to the first school that decided they'd condone it.

Last edited:
So the Butler, Gonzaga and Baylors of the world should reap the awards? Outside of the Federal court decisions, it's a state by state thing. Haven't you been paying attention to the state level legislation that is currently governing NIL at public universities?

First it was no using school logos and other IP. Now that's fair game thanks to the first school that decided they'd condone it.
Why are you singling out those schools? I am sure private schools have people who contribute to their schools. I am saying individual players who make a lot of money because they are at a school should perhaps pay their own way.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Why are you singling out those schools? I am sure private schools have people who contribute to their schools. I am saying individual players who make a lot of money because they are at a school should perhaps pay their own way.
I'm singling out those schools because they're private and don't have any tax payer money involved. If you take away the scholarships at public universities under the guise of saving taxpayer money, that's an advantage to programs at private schools who will continue to offer them. It's a market.

Same idea with the state by state comment.

Texas and OU are looking to join the $EC conference. It has been said NIL has been a big part of the reason why. Gonna be a fun journey. Cav may have been right regarding the NIL and the Wild West. However, I think this will continue to allow the big boys that have already been paying for leverage and separate themselves from the rest of the schools. IU will continue to be a follower.

Cav may have been right...
Even a blind squirrel...

Of course he's right - lot of folk saw it coming even if we didn't appreciate how quickly and forcefully it would alter the landscape of college athletics. Have to stay cognizant of the fact that things move much faster in the Third Millennium and that commerce is far more brazen/unfettered than in the past.

I should be able to confirm soon, but from my talks with IU compliance I’ll be shocked if they don’t announce the same basic thing as UNC just did. Would have been cool for them to be first, but as long as we have every advantage as the other power houses, I’m happy.
Hardly surprised UNC was the first, but the day that IU starts whoring it's 'name, image and likeness' to pander to student-athletes will likely be the day I stop watching/caring.

Hardly surprised UNC was the first, but the day that IU starts whoring it's 'name, image and likeness' to pander to student-athletes will likely be the day I stop watching/caring.

Sorry man, that time was 22 days ago. You can not stop the train that is coming. I have a had a ton of conversations this month. Wild Wild West for sure right now. In 2 years it will be completely different. Much more organized. Right now it is how do we not screw up getting recruits right now. They are going a million miles an hour on this, and I will be advising IU to triple their resources on NIL. Next two years (if we are also good on the court) could really give IU a leg up if they go at this right.

For me, I will probably quit watching IU and NCAA after this takes hold. I will watch and give it a try, but we usually support people we can relate to. Times are changing, and that is fine. Sports have just lost most of their appeal to me at all levels. I may be alone in this, but there are other things in life which have value. Sucks, because IU basketball was a big part of my life once. I’m sure many of you will disagree with me and that’s fine. We all have different interests. This all started when Indiana gave up single class basketball and the rise of AAU. It used to be about representing your town as well as yourself. Then players went for the coach. Now players are fully in it for themselves. Sorry for any generalizations there. I just feel after this, my time will be invested in other activities. Hope I am wrong.

For me, I will probably quit watching IU and NCAA after this takes hold. I will watch and give it a try, but we usually support people we can relate to. Times are changing, and that is fine. Sports have just lost most of their appeal to me at all levels. I may be alone in this, but there are other things in life which have value. Sucks, because IU basketball was a big part of my life once. I’m sure many of you will disagree with me and that’s fine. We all have different interests. This all started when Indiana gave up single class basketball and the rise of AAU. It used to be about representing your town as well as yourself. Then players went for the coach. Now players are fully in it for themselves. Sorry for any generalizations there. I just feel after this, my time will be invested in other activities. Hope I am wrong.
I’m trying not to be quite as cynical as you, but Ive already written off a lot if what I used to love due to these issues…. So I may be joining you

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT