ADVERTISEMENT

Enrolled portal transfers

Why ? I can't say how accurate they are but I think the guy was one of the original founders of Rivals, sold that, founded 247, sold that. Real ratings of a class should be 2-3 years after they have played in college but nobody does that I'm aware of.
Bobby Burton?

ON3 ranks the teams a little different. Doesn't reward a team bonus points for a large class and only slightly penalizes a team for a smaller class. They rank by average score of the top 4 sites (including theirs) each getting 25%. The ranking is player average of that team not by a total score with bonus points. It's a little more detailed than that so you would have to go to the website and read it. I like the site but it's just over a year old I believe and still evolving.
They should go by average scores because I counted how many teams they were better than and IU moved up to #50. Penalizing teams is with smaller classes is wrong. If they went by average scores IU would be better without the penalty. That is why I don't trust them.

That is what I thought early in my career but I changed after playing Hobart. They had one foot splits and ran the ball well. I changed my offense and did the same thing giving my blockers easier options for double teams and to fill gaps when we can counter plays. Spacing yourself out is a risky thing but as long as you don't split out more than you can down block you can help yourself. For example, I saw a game film of IU playing Nebraska back in the early nineties. I had to run the film back a couple of times as their center reached the IU tackle, IU was playing a 5-2 with tackles on offensive tackles. It was unbelievable Nebraska could pull their guard with the OT reaching for the DE and the center reaching the DT for IU. I never had players that good so I went to closer splits as I wanted to drive the DL off the LOS.

This gets into a complicated topic as you look at different offensive schemes that determine different splits to help the offense.
Remember the year Corso went with wide splits at Colorado and ran ruff-shod through the Buffs.
He knew his OL was better than the Buffs 1 on 1.
Haven’t seen anything like it since.

Remember the year Corso went with wide splits at Colorado and ran ruff-shod through the Buffs.
I remember my first state title as a DC and our coach told to OL to go with 6' splits because Franklin Central just kept moving the DT our with OT. It looked weird but it worked for a team wanting to gain 4 yards a pop and finish drives in the end zone.

That was Lee’s best team, and he had a couple of really good backs who went down hill in his I sets. Cliff was also really good, and defenses had to respect his ability to both run and throw. Fun trip, fun year.

Being ranked eight nationally as a function of having 16 incoming transfers. If you look at the average rating it's a different story. But then again what is a rating mean for a guy is a senior in college who may have been sitting on the bench for 3 years.

Being ranked eight nationally as a function of having 16 incoming transfers. If you look at the average rating it's a different story. But then again what is a rating mean for a guy is a senior in college who may have been sitting on the bench for 3 years.

Well, at least we beat Arizona St who has 10 more transfers but finished in 10th place lol.

It seems like 247 may not be as bad about the factoring in size of class as the biggest importance.

There is a slight slope towards bigger classes being ranked higher but not steep. #1 class is only 11 players. #46 is 10 players. Of course, 10 is the most of any school after #29.

What's successful? Was Tuttle, for example, successful?
His teammates voted in team captain. Clearly they had a higher regard of his abilities than the coaching staff. It's too bad the offensive staff couldn't surround him with players to give him a chance of even being healthy let alone successful on the field.

What's successful? Was Tuttle, for example, successful?

Reactions: vesuvius13
His teammates voted in team captain. Clearly they had a higher regard of his abilities than the coaching staff. It's too bad the offensive staff couldn't surround him with players to give him a chance of even being healthy let alone successful on the field.
The players knew he was better than Bazelak and they were upset like Tuttle playing with #1 in practice and being passed over by Bazelak. They knew Bell screwed up and when coach Allen told him to rotate in QBs because of all the 3 and outs hurting the defense. We all saw Tuttle and Williams were better for the offense.

The players knew he was better than Bazelak and they were upset like Tuttle playing with #1 in practice and being passed over by Bazelak. They knew Bell screwed up and when coach Allen told him to rotate in QBs because of all the 3 and outs hurting the defense. We all saw Tuttle and Williams were better for the offense.
Agree, the players do know.

We didn’t have a quarterback on the roster last season capable of making us appreciably better than our final record. Unfortunately, we’ve very likely not addressed that situation adequately, at least in the near term (2023 season).

Agree, the players do know.
When I was coaching, I always paid attention to who the players thought should be starting and only overrode them when I had a good reason to do that. I would take steps if it was controversial like when we won the state title. I had our guard run the huddle and call plays because we had a sophomore QB and the guard was a senior. It took pressure off of the QB and gave the OL a source of confidence in their group.

ADVERTISEMENT