ADVERTISEMENT

END IT ALL. DEAR GOD, END THIS CIRCUS.

I don't want him. He doesn't fit the criteria.

Look for two things. No excuses. 70% winning percentage. At least 3 out of 4 years winning (in competition for) a conference title. Archie Miller has done neither.

He'll likely be over .700 by year end. Was right there for conference title last year. Expect to compete for it again this year. I do think he'll be the guy when the dust settles.

Last edited:
He'll likely meet both by end of this year.
He has a career 670 (or something close) winning percentage. Crean had a 660 or close before coming here. He won the A10 once, competed once, while arguably having the most talented team in 3 of 4 years. I believe there was an injury or two though, but that would be an excuse. No excuses. Tired of them. So he'll do neither this year because it's mathematically impossible.

Plus, Davidson will win the A10.

He has a career 670 (or something close) winning percentage. He won the A10 once, competed once, while arguably having the most talented team in 3 of 4 years. I believe there was an injury or two though, but that would be an excuse. No excuses. Tired of them. So he'll do neither this year because it's mathematically impossible.

And, Davidson will win the A10.
Also, aren't there some whispers floating around about Archie and shady recruiting? Usually those whispers are unfounded, but the last thing we need is even someone with a question.

He has a career 670 (or something close) winning percentage. Crean had a 660 or close before coming here. He won the A10 once, competed once, while arguably having the most talented team in 3 of 4 years. I believe there was an injury or two though, but that would be an excuse. No excuses. Tired of them. So he'll do neither this year because it's mathematically impossible.

He's only been a HC for 4 years. If they finish 26-10 (average of as his last 2 years) he'll be at at roughly 71%. Went to Elite 8 in his 3rd year. Was 2 points from winning conference last year with 6 scholarship players. Went to conference champ game as well. Won another couple games in the tourney. He consistently upsets higher seeded teams in March. I watch a lot of their games with a Dayton grad for a wife...they are VERY well coached. (32 & 27 in national defensive rankings last 2 years).

Also, aren't there some whispers floating around about Archie and shady recruiting? Usually those whispers are unfounded, but the last thing we need is even someone with a question.
He has had more talent than anyone in that league and has really done meh with it. Not in my top ten list. If I had a top ten list.

My list is two. Brad Stevens. Sean Miller. That's it. If we hire Underwood, I wouldn't bitch. I believe Sean's style of play is too midwest for Arizona. Indiana is a much better fit. I hope it's Stevens though, he was born to coach here. He's our basketball Luke Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi, King Arthur, Jesus, all wrapped into one.

He's only been a HC for 4 years. If they finish 26-10 (average of as his last 2 years) he'll be at at roughly 71%.
Nice job. I won't even check your math. Still don't want him. I still see him as a guy that does less with more.

He has had more talent than anyone in that league and has really done meh with it. Not in my top ten list. If I had a top ten list.

My list is two. Brad Stevens. Sean Miller. That's it. If we hire Underwood, I wouldn't bitch. I believe Sean's Style of play is too midwest for Arizona. Indiana is a much better fit. I hope it's Stevens though, he was born to coach here. He's our basketball Luke Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi, King Arthur, Jesus, all wrapped into one.
I still can't get behind Sean. I know this sounds cranky old man of me, but I still can't get over those dumb comments he made about the X-Cincy brawl. Now, if we hired him, I'd get over it. It's not like he protected a rapist or anything. But it still bugs me.

Stevens is the home run. He's the only home run. There are a few others I'd be happy with, but none of them are home runs. And, of course, there are about 200 guys I'd probably consider an immediate and dramatic upgrade over what we have.

Nice job. I won't even check your math. Still don't want him. I still see him as a guy that does less with more.

He had 6 scholarship players last year, all under 6'6" and was one bucket from winning the conference?

Anyway, if they finish better than Davidson will you change your mind come April?

My list is two. Brad Stevens. Sean Miller. That's it. If we hire Underwood, I wouldn't bitch. I believe Sean's style of play is too midwest for Arizona. Indiana is a much better fit. I hope it's Stevens though, he was born to coach here. He's our basketball Luke Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi, King Arthur, Jesus, all wrapped into one.

No Double G Marshall?

I just like that he's won big everywhere, completely turned around programs and raised them to levels they've never seen. Plus he's worked from the ground up vs these silver spoon assistants.

A Kentucky fan said something about him that cracked me up...it was 'Marshall will poke the bear'. Meaning he'll do whatever he can to play Kentucky and beat them.

Very Knight like.

I think he would have a similar effect that Bo Ryan did for Wisconsin. Be that uber successful old self made coach that is hated by everyone else because he loves to kick your ass.

His numbers are off the charts but I'm reading ' he might be too abrasive' around these boards.

Really...too abrasive? After all the undisciplined crap we've witnessed for the past 16 years???

No Double G Marshall?

I just like that he's won big everywhere, completely turned around programs and raised them to levels they've never seen. Plus he's worked from the ground up vs these silver spoon assistants.

A Kentucky fan said something about him that cracked me up...it was 'Marshall will poke the bear'. Meaning he'll do whatever he can to play Kentucky and beat them.

Very Knight like.

I think he would have a similar effect that Bo Ryan did for Wisconsin. Be that uber successful old self made coach that is hated by everyone else because he loves to kick your ass.

His numbers are off the charts but I'm reading ' he might be too abrasive' around these boards.

Really...too abrasive? After all the undisciplined crap we've witnessed for the past 16 years???
Marshall's a pipedream. WSU just gave him what is essentially a lifetime contract (7 yrs rolling, extended each year automatically), starting at $3M/year plus benefits and endorsements and working up. He has all the power ($15M buyout compared to $500K if he wants to leave). Because his end of the liquidated damages is so small, he could skip town with little penalty, but no one - not even IU - would give him a contract near as favorable as the one he just received. Basically WSU decided they wanted him, and they wanted him for the rest of his career, and they gave him exactly what he needed to make sure he'd never, ever leave. Marshall will be there until he dies or retires.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
Twice I've heard now that our bad D is due to lack of knowledge, not effort....and I say balderdash!

We are slow to do everything on D, IMO. On the ball, switching, recovering, changing god damn defenses mid-possession...whatever it is...looks like it's being done at 80% and, tu-dah! - we give up 72 PPG compared to other good BT teams' 60ish.

I think they're loafing a lot of the time, but then again if you've only practiced it 5 on 0, it's kinda tough to do in real time with real people.

7 AM and I'm already pissed off...

Marshall's a pipedream. WSU just gave him what is essentially a lifetime contract (7 yrs rolling, extended each year automatically), starting at $3M/year plus benefits and endorsements and working up. He has all the power ($15M buyout compared to $500K if he wants to leave). Because his end of the liquidated damages is so small, he could skip town with little penalty, but no one - not even IU - would give him a contract near as favorable as the one he just received. Basically WSU decided they wanted him, and they wanted him for the rest of his career, and they gave him exactly what he needed to make sure he'd never, ever leave. Marshall will be there until he dies or retires.

Heard some great Marshall stories from a prep coach from Virginia on the plane 2 weeks ago...

He said they were playing another prep school and Marshall flew in for the sole purpose of seeing the opponent's star player. He was with an assistant who apparently set up the visit.

I guess Marshall came in and watched the kid for 2 seconds, didn't like what he saw, berated his assistant in the gym in front of all ("don't waste my f*cking time ever again") and walked out w/o a word/flew home.

FWIW

No Double G Marshall?

Very Knight like.

I don't like his offense and something about him bugs me. Still, if we hired him - I wouldn't bitch.

Marshall isn't leaving. He's set for life there...think he's making more than Crean.

I think it's pretty clear he's a crazy person. Granted, he wins, but I don't think it'd be a good fit.

At this point, I'd take anything over clown crazy......even bat chit crazy.....

I agree with TMP thoughts on this......Stevens first....then S. Miller.....if those two don't bite....I'm ok with either A. Miller or Marshall.....

I don't like his offense and something about him bugs me. Still, if we hired him - I wouldn't bitch.
Any opinions on any NBA guys? A friend mentioned the name Lawrence Frank. He was a grad assistant under RMK, had a good run in Jersey for awhile with the Nets, and is still an assistant in the NBA.

I've also thought about Randy Wittman. Current head coach in Washington.

Both would have a better game plan than Crean. The idea of knowing how to recruit send less important to me. I'm getting the feeling the right coach will have no problem recruiting.

Any opinions on any NBA guys? A friend mentioned the name Lawrence Frank. He was a grad assistant under RMK, had a good run in Jersey for awhile with the Nets, and is still an assistant in the NBA.

Both would have a better game plan than Crean. The idea of knowing how to recruit send less important to me. I'm getting the feeling the right coach will have no problem recruiting.
Nope I don't follow them.

Yeah... THE CHOSEN ONE.

Hi, TMP.

Hi, MTIOTF.
Hi C$ you dumb mutherforker. Is Matt the Millers worth a shit? Looking for dinner tonight.

Morehead is a last second shot away from being 5-0. They might just beat IU and if they do, TC's ass is going to be on fire.....

McHoop

Reactions: C-$ and IUecho87
Hi C$ you dumb mutherforker. Is Matt the Millers worth a shit? Looking for dinner tonight.

Morehead is a last second shot away from being 5-0. They might just beat IU and if they do, TC's ass is going to be on fire.....

McHoop

Hi, McHoop.

Glad you asked.

Yes, Matt the Millers is worth approximately 3.5 shits out of 5. I don't give 4 or 5 shits for just anything.

I am rooting for More Head tomorrow.

Marshall isn't coming. IU has some power brokers, but none like the Koch bros.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
Yea, look at the post above. I think that says a lot about all "team" oriented development. He develops physical attributes well, but not the cerebral or team aspect of the game. But, I believe the thing he fails at the most is developing and appreciating the role guys. The ones to do the dirty work, which includes defense. Who is our defesive stopper? Who's our ball control PG? Who is our big assed thug to control the paint? We never have those guys.

Basketball Jesus had teams where two three players getting offensive numbers and the rest were all role players. Jamie Dixon at Pitt, Howland at Pitt and UCLA. they both prospered when they have a few of these intangibles guys. When they each started recruiting better and got teams full of "stars" they both failed. Marshall had 3 last year.
This is where I worry about Mid Major coaches, a guy like Jacobsen. From where I stand I have no clue if they will do well when they are able to recruit at a high level. I like Fife because he built a decent team at IPFW that had zero history. He is a good recruiter for Izzo who does a good job of blending the intangibles guys with the PER guys. I relics that Crean also filled that role for Izzo, but still.

Nevermind

Last edited:
Twice I've heard now that our bad D is due to lack of knowledge, not effort....and I say balderdash!

We are slow to do everything on D, IMO. On the ball, switching, recovering, changing god damn defenses mid-possession...whatever it is...looks like it's being done at 80% and, tu-dah! - we give up 72 PPG compared to other good BT teams' 60ish.

I think they're loafing a lot of the time, but then again if you've only practiced it 5 on 0, it's kinda tough to do in real time with real people.

7 AM and I'm already pissed off...
Part of it, but lack of understanding leads to uncertainty, whicj leads to thinking instead of reacting, which leads to slow movement and late rotations. That tends to look like lack of effort even when it isn't.

McHoop

This would absolutely make my weekend if they could somehow, someway beat us.

It's the only way folks...this thing has to crash hard, really hard for me to feel comfortable that Glass will do what needs to be done. Plus I've always hated Crean the coach and Crean the talker so to watch him get exposed on a national level would be nice.

We had him on the ropes after Iowa and we let off the gas. MSU beat us without their burger senior power forward (who's name escapes me) and there was nary a boo...like Davis's final games.

Except in this case the bug wasn't squashed.

It needs a squashing.

Hi, McHoop.

Glad you asked.

Yes, Matt the Millers is worth approximately 3.5 shits out of 5. I don't give 4 or 5 shits for just anything.

I am rooting for More Head tomorrow.
From the sound of it, you're rooting for More Head for tonight and the entire weekend. Keep on livin' the dream, dude.

Was this the lowest point or, paradoxically, the highest point of the season?

Since someone brought this thread back, I thought I'd point out that I was correct...again. December 2.

I'm sorry.

frabz-what-if-i-told-you-to-eat-a-bag-of-dicks-60e25b.jpg

58014818.jpg

61023563.jpg

61818104.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT