ADVERTISEMENT

Email from Dolson NIL

Cavanagh.13

Senior
Nov 6, 2019
For those who are not season ticket holders and are interested.

Dear Sean,​

Tomorrow launches a new and exciting era of intercollegiate athletics for our students and for you as loyal Hoosier supporters, as our students will be allowed to be compensated for the name, image and likeness (NIL). This is a right that all other college students have enjoyed, and I am excited for our student-athletes that they now have this same opportunity.
In anticipation of this rules change, we have gone to great lengths in recent years to educate our students about their NIL rights through dedicated programming and third-party partnerships with Opendorse and Altius. I am particularly appreciative of the enormous efforts that Senior Associate Athletic Directors Rebecca Pany and Jeremy Gray as well as Director of Social and Digital Media Lynnea Phillips have made to prepare for this new landscape.
So what does all this mean, and what opportunities will exist for our students and for you?
These new NIL rights mean that our students will be able to use their name, image and likeness to enter into agreements and be compensated while still preserving their eligibility to compete in intercollegiate athletics.
Among the types of NIL agreements that they can enter into:
  • Traditional Endorsements + Social Media – They can be paid to endorse a product in any medium, including social media.
  • Appearances, Autographs + Camps – They can be paid to make appearances, sign autographs, or conduct camps.
  • In-kind Deals – They can receive “free” product for a photo, autograph, or social media post.
While this is a seismic shift in the world of intercollegiate athletics, there are still some very important things that you need to know that have not changed. Among those are:
  • These new NIL rights do not refer to pay-for-play – Compensation cannot be contingent upon athletic performance as the basis for the deal.
  • These NIL rights do not allow for compensation to be contingent upon initial or continued enrollment at a particular school.
  • Your support of the Varsity Club means as much as ever – while you, as donors, will have new opportunities to enter into independent agreements with our student-athletes, your continued support of the Varsity Club remains critical as we provide for the outstanding educational and athletic opportunities for our student-athletes in the same way we always have.
I invite you to review our IU Athletics NIL Policy, as well as this set of Frequently Asked Questions that may address items that I have not mentioned. If you are interested in connecting with a student-athlete about an opportunity beginning tomorrow, the FAQ highlights different ways that you can make direct contact with them.
As always, thank you for your continued support of our student-athletes and IU Athletics as we collectively move into this new era!
Go IU!
77406ecbbcce9538379c8db2ab07bddc.gif

Like most situations, the haves and the elites will generally benefit the most. Probably a net loss for our fball program. I hope we’re still a “have” in bball!

This will be a distraction and a lot of kids will end up with tax issues.

Woody's NBA background will help him navigate this with the kids.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Like most situations, the haves and the elites will generally benefit the most. Probably a net loss for our fball program. I hope we’re still a “have” in bball!

Going to be interesting to see how much winning matters for fans in terms of football.

IU basketball is going to absolutely crush this. IU fans are sick, exhibit me.

College kids aren’t NBA players. Right now they drive 08 Camrys. Think what they will do for a couple grand, maybe even a couple hundred bucks….. All I know is this is gonna be wild and IU players will make way more on average than almost any program in the country.

So what should my cameo from Lander say to you phuckers?

Going to be interesting to see how much winning matters for fans in terms of football.

College kids aren’t NBA players. Right now they drive 08 Camrys. Think what they will do for a couple grand, maybe even a couple hundred bucks….. All I know is this is gonna be wild and IU players will make way more on average than almost any program in the country.

I think all 13 basketball players will be driving brand new cars tomorrow. Andy Mohr will hook them all up lol

after all the flack schools were taking for full monetization of college athletics for the adults, while the kids got none, i have to hand it to the schools for how brilliant the whole NIL thing is.

any money the kids get comes out of somebody else's pocket, not any of the coach's or administrator's or school's pockets.

ya think the schools would be coaching up the kids on how to take financial advantage of the new rules, if one cent of it was coming out of the adult's pockets?

about the same chance as Jeff Bezos educating employees on how to better negotiate wages.

not sayin, just sayin.

How about:

“Someday, if I work really hard, I hope to be as good as Romeo!”

-Khristian Lander

This is our chance to run a program like in the movie “Blue chips”, without any fear of sanctions. No longer will programs or coaches be considered dirty.

I don’t see how this won’t benefit our program as far as on the court success goes. cav is right. We are going g to “kill it”. If you love the Kentucky model, there’s a good chance you’ll see it on steroids at IU.

Sadly, I fear that the things I enjoyed most about the game will now be forever lost.

This is our chance to run a program like in the movie “Blue chips”, without any fear of sanctions. No longer will programs or coaches be considered dirty.

I don’t see how this won’t benefit our program as far as on the court success goes. cav is right. We are going g to “kill it”. If you love the Kentucky model, there’s a good chance you’ll see it on steroids at IU.

Sadly, I fear that the things I enjoyed most about the game will now be forever lost.

Brave new world out there. Time keeps going, embrace the change and try to enjoy it, not stoping for you.

I love everything about this. I actually have a real good pitch for Tamar that could greatly benefit me and my business. Might work better with Lander though :).

Woody will hopefully use his NBA knowledge to entice kids to come and earn money at the same time.

With that being said, poor Steve Alford needs reimbursed and reinstated for his "calendar picture" LOL

Woody will hopefully use his NBA knowledge to entice kids to come and earn money at the same time.

With that being said, poor Steve Alford needs reimbursed and reinstated for his "calendar picture" LOL
The agent and “advisory” people are the ones who are licking their chops over this, not the coaches. Agents and their teams will be able to connect kids with wannabe advertisers and those eager to promote their product. They’re the ones who will do especially well.

Credit again to Dolson. I think they saw the handwriting on the wall and took it seriously and have plans in place, which I'm guessing many schools don't. Some that do, I'm quite certain are Duke, UNC, UK and KU. Hopefully this gives us a boost to elevate our program back to that level.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Credit again to Dolson. I think they saw the handwriting on the wall and took it seriously and have plans in place, which I'm guessing many schools don't. Some that do, I'm quite certain are Duke, UNC, UK and KU. Hopefully this gives us a boost to elevate our program back to that level.
I've read in a couple of different places that as part of his interview for the AD job, Dolson presented his draft plan of an NIL program and that plan has become the blueprint.

KU already had a long standing process in place, now it's just legal.. Miles Brand must be rolling over in his grave.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT