ADVERTISEMENT

Elite 8 vs Seton Hall: Monday 5:00

2-0 now, but that bullseye glare on the camera is making it tough to watch.

For a Big 10 announcer, that guy seemed in love with Seton Hall.

Go IU! Final 4 again (and again).

Reactions: mcmurtry66
For a Big 10 announcer, that guy seemed in love with Seton Hall.

Go IU! Final 4 again (and again).
WTF? Dean Linke is the best and most knowledgeable announcer in College Soccer and could not have favored IU more (and he's supposed to be neutral in an NCAA Tournament game).

As an IU fan I have to say that was an absolute love fest for IU and the two other people I know who watched the stream agreed with me.

You must be the type of person who thinks something is against you, when you get only 90% of the love rather than 100%.

This might be the stupidest comment I have ever seen.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Time? Is Indiana the highest rated/seeded remaining team?
6:00 or 8:30-not sure which game will be first. pitt is seeded #2 and IU #3. Pitt has demolished everyone in this tournament so far. Will be another tough battle. all other seeded teams are out.

Reactions: 11TOP
6:00 or 8:30-not sure which game will be first. pitt is seeded #2 and IU #3. Pitt has demolished everyone in this tournament so far. Will be another tough battle. all other seeded teams are out.
another one that's about 90% internationals.

WTF? Dean Linke is the best and most knowledgeable announcer in College Soccer and could not have favored IU more (and he's supposed to be neutral in an NCAA Tournament game).

As an IU fan I have to say that was an absolute love fest for IU and the two other people I know who watched the stream agreed with me.

You must be the type of person who thinks something is against you, when you get only 90% of the love rather than 100%.

I’m sorry I upset you. “...the stupidest comment I have ever seen.” Really? Hyperbole much? In today’s world, that’s “the stupidest”? I hope you were able to sleep last night.
BTW, at the end of the game, I received a text from an ex-IU soccer player, who expressed the same sentiments as mine. I guess there’s at least two of us dummies.

Edit: Another poster took exception to my view of the commentator. I admit that I was only able to listen for the last 20 minutes of the second half when Indiana was clearly in control. At that point, maybe Dean was trying to be overly impartial. If I got this wrong, I apologize to Dean and his fans.

Last edited:

Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.

another one that's about 90% internationals.

A few comments from someone who's more of an IU fan than a soccer fan overall---

Wasn't able to see the game. Sounds like SH may have been physical with us, ala Marquette? I base that on 8 fouls to 3 as of the time of the lightening strike.....I haven't watched enough action this year to know.....do we struggle against physical teams?

One thing that bugs me about soccer is how random some of the outcomes can be. From reading about Marquette & SH, it sounds like we have been very fortunate in this tourney.......I know we've had some great teams that got knocked off before the FF and in the FF. Soccer is just so unpredictable that I feel like we could have anywhere from 6 to 12 titles at this point. It seems like with the 8 championship teams you could point to 8 others that were just as good or better. I know all sports are somewhat unpredictable, but I feel that it's easier for teams who get dominated overall to pull it out in the end.

Rant over, I do think it's cool that IU soccer has to be ranked as one of the top 10 dynasties in the 'minor' collegiate sports. Most FFs is a nice stat, but we need this one to be one away from SL in NTs.

BTW, mcmurtry......I'm a fan of your Water Cooler posts. If you get a chance, check out what Nicholas Wade of the NYTs wrote in the "Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists" (5/5/21) about "The Origin of COVID". Very interesting article.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeddyHoosier
A few comments from someone who's more of an IU fan than a soccer fan overall---

Wasn't able to see the game. Sounds like SH may have been physical with us, ala Marquette? I base that on 8 fouls to 3 as of the time of the lightening strike.....I haven't watched enough action this year to know.....do we struggle against physical teams?

One thing that bugs me about soccer is how random some of the outcomes can be. From reading about Marquette & SH, it sounds like we have been very fortunate in this tourney.......I know we've had some great teams that got knocked off before the FF and in the FF. Soccer is just so unpredictable that I feel like we could have anywhere from 6 to 12 titles at this point. It seems like with the 8 championship teams you could point to 8 others that were just as good or better. I know all sports are somewhat unpredictable, but I feel that it's easier for teams who get dominated overall to pull it out in the end.

Rant over, I do think it's cool that IU soccer has to be ranked as one of the top 10 dynasties in the 'minor' collegiate sports. Most FFs is a nice stat, but we need this one to be one away from SL in NTs.
good post mushroom. college soccer is a weird game. as for the physical nature many of the teams we're playing are primarily comprised of foreigners. these "kids" tend to be older and rely more on "bullying" because of their age/maturity. the foreign route has leveled the playing field around the country. you now have schools like marshall, missouri state, that are big time programs because they've gone the foreign route. it's the only way to compete with the premier programs (ACC and IU and a few others around the country). so there is far more parity in college soccer than ever before, which again makes IU's continued dominance so incredible

IU benefitted greatly by it's location in the midwest. ncaa tournaments are typically regional so to get out of the south you have to beat, typically, two teams ranked in the top five nationally and the champion of the acc. iu's path to deep tourney runs was made far easier by being in the midwest. so iu's endless exposure in the tourney was a great recruiting boon, coupled with the demise of SLU and a few other "historic" programs. IU now basically has its pick of players in missouri, illinois, indiana, and ohio. that's enough to make one hell of a program. then add the yeagleys who are so gifted as coaches and you have IU. winning then begets winning.

anyway good post and sorry for the rant.

Great soccer talk here guys. Mushroom-you are right-in fact Jerry Yeagley often says he should have had 12 national championships. Some of his best teams came up short and a couple that did win it all ('88, '03 and '12 when Todd was coaching) weren't great teams, but just got hot at the right time or caught a few breaks. Soccer is a quirky game with very limited scoring opportunities. A funny bounce or unusual play can lead to the 1 goal that decides the game.

I thought IU handled the physical nature of SH very well last night. Where I really saw IU struggle was in the first game against Brooklyn when they played long balls in the air down the field all game-especially when they had the wind. IUs backs really struggled with that.

This Pitt game should be outstanding.

I just noticed that Pitt's coach, Jay Vidovich, played at IU his freshman year (1978), then transferred to Ohio Wesleyan. I wonder if there's a story there...

I just noticed that Pitt's coach, Jay Vidovich, played at IU his freshman year (1978), then transferred to Ohio Wesleyan. I wonder if there's a story there...
damn that's going way back. the program probably started around 75. little random trivia since that time iu has the most national championships, college cups, and i believe wins of any program. SLU still holds the all time

Great to have some soccer talk. Indeed, it is a game of key moments. That is part of what I love about most all sports ... the 95% free throw shooter (or 50%) who makes or misses with time expiring ... the dropped or caught pass ... the pga player almost losing it on the 18th this past Sunday ... any batter in a tied game in the 9th ... my 5 yr old grand in coach pitch with a stand up triple in first at bat. Yep, train, practice, repetition ... but you have to play the game ... even in the rain after a lightning bolt ... or an elbow in the nose. Soccer has grown on me. Should be a tough one on Friday against Pitt

Was wondering why IU doesn’t tap into the foreign pool more often? Hell, maybe they do, but it seems to me we’re mostly home-grown - which I think is great. I’d think we’d be a primos destination for foreign kids, and not just the good ol’ USA.

Thanks in advance to those more knowledgeable about our roster / recruiting.

Was wondering why IU doesn’t tap into the foreign pool more often? Hell, maybe they do, but it seems to me we’re mostly home-grown - which I think is great. I’d think we’d be a primos destination for foreign kids, and not just the good ol’ USA.

Great question and I think it is a combination of reasons, mainly there is so much talent produced in Chicago and St. Louis, which IU has deep roots in both. If you can fill a roster with high level recruits who are 4-5 hours from Bloomington, why go overseas? I'm sure international recruiting is costly and complicated with visas, immigration laws, etc... IU has always been dominant in both those places and I expect it to continue. For example, look at this years roster: Celetano, Bezerra, Wittenbrink, Bebej are all from Chicago-land and Muinie, AJ, Maher from St. Louis. There's 7 of your top guys right there.

Another reason: many of those heavy international teams have some type of connection to a foreign country, which creates a pipeline for recruits. For example, Seton Hall has 9 Swedish players on their roster. Guess where their head coach is from? IUs staff is mainly former IU guys who grew up and remained in the midwest their entire careers. That's my .02 worth anyway.

i echo geddy below. it'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming years tho with more and more kids picking usl etc over college in hopes of making it to mls. iu is one of hte few that doesn't have many internationals. even the acc has augmented their ranks with foreign players. i guarantee chapel hill will have some in the line up. pitt and marshall will be all foreign

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT